Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Implication Of Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Implication Of Tithing (1874 Views)

Understanding The Concept of Tithing / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / How To Reap The Full Benefits Of Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2013
I had what I would call a very successful response to a thread I opened over a week ago to the subject of Tithing: https://www.nairaland.com/1239719/questions-frosbel-tithing
I wish to extend the discourse to not just whether tithing is right or wrong but it's IMPLICATION. Jesus said that the hallmark of a false/true prophet is by the fruit he/she bears. What has tithing resulted to in our churches? And for the Churches where the people do not tithe, do we see this same trend? I think this discourse will further put an end to the argument of those who support tithing.

1. The Prosperity Gospel: Virtually all, or better still, most, of the churches that preach tithe also support its variant A HEALTH AND WEALTH GOSPEL. This gospel does not make Jesus Lord, rather it teaches that there is a BLESSING Christians must seek after. THE BLESSING IS THE GOD(that is why Malachi 3:10 gets their attention). Forgetting Eph 1:3 that says we are blessed (already) in Christ Jesus. They undermine the trust of the gospel of the new testament, which is to clearly show Jesus as Crucified and to invite a sinful and dying world to look at him and be saved. Rather these people teach a gospel of well being and try to back it up with signs and wonders following. Cashing in on a gullible society that is ravaged by poverty and sickness. A careful study of the New Testament shows clearly that this is not the core gospel that Jesus and his apostle taught. It is a false gospel taught by false prophets, who feed on the gullibility of people to enrich themselves. And lately, in Nigeria, to impoverish the nation further.
2. Re-enacting the Law: Tithing brings back the Levithical priesthood. While pro tithers teach that they are following the example of Abraham, who GAVE tithe, what these people teach is that people should PAY tithe. By using that word. PAY, they show that tithing is an obligation that must be followed and at the end their is a presthood to be sustained thereby. From my understanding on tithing some people pay their tithe directly to the Pastor of the church, who keeps it along with his salary. Others pay it with church offering to the church's general account. Whichever way, the tithe shows a restoration of a levithical priesthood that Jesus death had abolished and has made every Christian kings and preists unto our God. It also restores the teaching of the law: where christians cannot distinguish between the law and grace. A point of distincion Paul emphized on.
3. Undermining the Doctrine of Grace: The theology of Paul was a given revelation to him to help Church age believers to grow in. And it is apparent that it is not to be added to or subtracted from. Jesus did not teach this theology because he was born subject to the law. From Peter's testimony in 2Peter, it is apparent other apostles endorsed Paul's teaching on the doctrine of grace, Act20. When pro tithers encourage this practice, they discourage a proper study and understanding into the mind and practice of the gospel that Paul taught. Jesus teachings covered the days of the law (under which he was born); church age and the millenium, but paul taught how the church must function mostly in the church age. Beginning with the doctrine on Justification by Faith, Sanctification and Holiness, Gifting of the Spirit, etc. You will notice that most of our pro tithe churches know little or nothing about these great doctrinal position that were re-discovered during the Reformation.
4. Teaching New Age doctrine: In these pro tithe church you hear things like Motivational Speaking; Success Tips and Teachings; Downright extra biblical philosophies; re-discovered Christian Science theologies, etc. The greatest evil of these teachers is the gradual undermining of the person of Jesus and what he can do, to the teaching of man and the can-do spirit in him.

I open this thread not for folks to argue for or against tithing (though one cannot stop that outrightly) but for those like me who are against it to tell every one the FRUIT of tithing and for those who would learn to desist from it.
Also the new call by FROSBEL to have leaflet written against tithing is a welcome idea but it must not go in the place of the error of the tithers. We must show the people the evil of tithing (ie it's implication) and then we must tell them of the real Savior, Jesus the Christ.

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Tithing by Joagbaje(m): 12:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
CAn we all just leave tithing matter alone? Going o er same circle every year is not wisdom. Let everyone work by his conviction and persuasion .

Romans 14:5
. , ,. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2013
Joagbaje:
CAn we all just leave tithing matter alone? Going o er same circle every year is not wisdom. Let everyone work by his conviction and persuasion .

Romans 14:5
. , ,. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

The matter dey affect your business? grin

If you want every man be fully persuaded in his own mind, why you dey support pastor threatening/deceiving his congregation with tithe preaching? angry
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
Good day Dboy,

I am quite curious about why you believe that tithing is wrong?

In my opinion, I don't think anyone who decides to give tithe of his/her own free will does any wrong by God's standards. I am not an advocate of the tithe thingy but really when I read about arguments for or against it, I can't help but ask why exactly would those who are against it say it is wrong when it is left to the decision maker to determine what he or she does with his/her money.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 4:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
striktlymi: Good day Dboy,

I am quite curious about why you believe that tithing is wrong?

In my opinion, I don't think anyone who decides to give tithe of his/her own free will does any wrong by God's standards. I am not an advocate of the tithe thingy but really when I read about arguments for or against it, I can't help but ask why exactly would those who are against it say it is wrong when it is left to the decision maker to determine what he or she does with his/her money.

A careful study of scriptures, expecially the NT, shows that somethings are minor doctrine. Romans 14 gives an example of that and that is where Joagbaje qouted from. however, there some doctrines that are so important that to teach or not teach them will determine whether your congregation will be saved or not. So is tithing or not tithing an important doctrine. I believe yes
On the surface, we can say why not leave everyone to do as they are persuaded but on the real stage we realize that tithing as taught in the church today may determine whether or not the true gospel that saves men will be preached or we will end up with a money gospel, a false gospel.
Paul in his letter to the Galatians said that anyone who allows himself to be circumcized (that is obey the law) has fallen from grace; he said keeping one bit of the law, should lead keeping the entire law. We cannot do one part of the law and keep the other. The only solution to this is to leave the law as it is and come under the gospel of grace and not obey the law of Moses, that includes tithing.
Now I am not interested in the tithe or not tithe argument. Other threads have done a better job. For those who are really intent on a sound academic study on the falsehood of tithing I refer them to Gary J Arnold's work on www.tithing101.com. My point here is that there is a FRUIT of the gospel that is being proclaimed today; this gospel does not save sinners; all it does is make people captive to a religion of money: give God this and expect that; a vast majority of the people in this churches do not know the Lord bc they have not been taught the true gospel. It is a gospel of BLESSINGS: GET, GET, GET, GET, AND GET, unending.
Thus I wish to invite folks to contribute their experience with this false gospel and reveal for what it is.
For years I agonized over why there was such lack of power in these churches, but the answer is not far fetch: a resort to the practice of law and grace at the same time. That is being sponsored by tithe collection, which is illegal at best and demonic at worst.
That is the reason for my being AGAINST tithing. I just wish the thread is not derailed by the pro tithers who have a penchant for leaving the main issue and pursuing little things.

3 Likes

Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
DrummaBoy:

A careful study of scriptures, expecially the NT, shows that somethings are minor doctrine. Romans 14 gives an example of that and that is where Joagbaje qouted from. however, there some doctrines that are so important that to teach or not teach them will determine whether your congregation will be saved or not. So is tithing or not tithing an important doctrine. I believe yes

I respect your thoughts on the matter since it has to do with what you believe but really tithing is hardly an important aspect of Christianity. I consider only what is necessary for salvation as important. If you can demonstrate that someone can merit eternal damnation by paying or not paying tithe then I will consider it an important teaching.

DrummaBoy:
On the surface, we can say why not leave everyone to do as they are persuaded but on the real stage we realize that tithing as taught in the church today may determine whether or not the true gospel that saves men will be preached or we will end up with a money gospel, a false gospel.

I really have my reservations about the above. Are you saying that those who say tithe is needed do not go out of their way to teach the true gospel of Christ? This happens to be a gospel based on love! If you can demonstrate that they do not preach love then I will believe you.

DrummaBoy:
Paul in his letter to the Galatians said that anyone who allows himself to be circumcized (that is obey the law) has fallen from grace; he said keeping one bit of the law, should lead keeping the entire law. We cannot do one part of the law and keep the other. The only solution to this is to leave the law as it is and come under the gospel of grace and not obey the law of Moses, that includes tithing.

First of, are you circumcised? Do you have plans to have your children circumcised? Do you believe that by your circumcision (if you are circumcised), you have fallen from the grace of God?

Now let put this in proper perspective:

Galatians 5:1-10
King James Version (KJV)

5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Your thoughts I believe was necessitated by chapter 5 vs' 2 and 3 of Paul's letter to the Galatians. This in itself would seem like Paul was saying that circumcision would necessarily take one away from the Grace of Christ but this is not what Paul meant.

If you read further to vs 6 of that same chapter you would realize that Paul holds that circumcision in itself does nothing for us as far as the Grace of Christ is concerned i.e. circumcision or uncircumcision availeth nothing. So it doesn't matter whether we are circumcised or not.

The key to unlocking what Paul was trying to teach lies in vs 4 of that chapter. Anyone who tries to justify himself by following the law, necessarily disregard the Grace Christ won for us via the cross. For such people, the Grace of God would be nothing because they put their hopes in the law. That is what Paul was against, not circumcision in itself.

If one pays tithe without making him or herself believe that he does right by God via the law then I see no reason why that act is wrong just like our circumcision today does not mean that we are justified by following the law.

DrummaBoy:
Now I am not interested in the tithe or not tithe argument. Other threads have done a better job. For those who are really intent on a sound academic study on the falsehood of tithing I refer them to Gary J Arnold's work on www.tithing101.com.

Then the above suggests that this thread is totally irrelevant.

DrummaBoy:
My point here is that there is a FRUIT of the gospel that is being proclaimed today; this gospel does not save sinners; all it does is make people captive to a religion of money: give God this and expect that; a vast majority of the people in this churches do not know the Lord bc they have not been taught the true gospel. It is a gospel of BLESSINGS: GET, GET, GET, GET, AND GET, unending.

The above are accusations you are yet to substantiate!

DrummaBoy:
Thus I wish to invite folks to contribute their experience with this false gospel and reveal for what it is.
For years I agonized over why there was such lack of power in these churches, but the answer is not far fetch: a resort to the practice of law and grace at the same time. That is being sponsored by tithe collection, which is illegal at best and demonic at worst. That is the reason for my being AGAINST tithing.

The bold is really laughable! Is that the beef you have with the pro tithe people?

DrummaBoy:
I just wish the thread is not derailed by the pro tithers who have a penchant for leaving the main issue and pursuing little things.

The only point you have raised so far is the ish about combining justification through Grace and the law but really this at best is another allegation...do you have proof of this? Paying tithe is not the proof I desire cause one can pay tithe without holding on to the law.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:22pm On Apr 11, 2013
Mr Stykt
It is apparent to me that you're bent on detailing the thread but it is understandable: YOU PAY TITHE. Thus I do not expect you to understand bc all the questions U have asked are answered either on my post or the website I referred to.
Now Satan has not changed. He confused the first generation Christians with this issue of balancing law with grace so much so that Peter and Barnanabas were almost deceived; Gal 2. Why not U?
My premise remains the Church, particularly the Nigerian church has derailed bc it has been deceived by prosperity. Chief among them the culprit of tithing. This nation and its people can only be saved when she returns to the true gospel.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 11, 2013
Good evening DBoy,

DrummaBoy: Mr Stykt
It is apparent to me that you're bent on detailing the thread

Do you know what it means to derail a thread? All I have done is respond to your posts and you call that derailing?

DrummaBoy:
but it is understandable: YOU PAY TITHE.

...and the 'holy spirit' revealed that to you?

DrummaBoy:
Thus I do not expect you to understand bc all the questions U have asked are answered either on my post or the website I referred to.

You are indeed funny by the above. Go to a website to get answers? What is wrong with you giving answers? After-all, you created this thread. Note that the OP addressed very little!

DrummaBoy:
Now Satan has not changed. He confused the first generation Christians with this issue of balancing law with grace so much so that Peter and Barnanabas were almost deceived; Gal 2. Why not U?

Hasn't anyone told you that when you make an accusation on nairaland, you must be ready to back it up? Where exactly did I say you balance the law with grace?

DrummaBoy:
My premise remains the Church, particularly the Nigerian church has derailed bc it has been deceived by prosperity. Chief among them the culprit of tithing. This nation and its people can only be saved when she returns to the true gospel.

Your premise is very flawed and based on sentiments as you have revealed already!

DrummaBoy:
For years I agonized over why there was such lack of power in these churches, but the answer is not far fetch: a resort to the practice of law and grace at the same time. That is being sponsored by tithe collection, which is illegal at best and demonic at worst. That is the reason for my being AGAINST tithing.

Thanks!

#Why is it easier to discuss with Atheists than Christians? undecided
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Joagbaje(m): 7:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
Zikkyy:

Not at all . You Guys can go ahead and fight it out I will get ma pop corn cool
Re: Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
Strykt
U are Roman Catholic. Were do start from with U? Is it Mary or Celibacy? I refer U to Frosbel. He seems to be doing a better job with Catholic. I limit myself to my domain: Pentecostalism.

I pasted a thought on my FB page where I said that neither Jesus nor the apostles made altar calls but they witnessed converts in thousands. Why is it that with all our altar calling and profession of Christianity, Christianity is said to be one mile wide in Africa but just an inch deep? Answer: the gospel. The holy spirit saves by the preached word. If this word is compromised with money, again tithing, there is no power. We then resort to altar calls but the converts only profess but are not truly saved!
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
DrummaBoy: Strykt
U are Roman Catholic. Were do start from with U? Is it Mary or Celibacy? I refer U to Frosbel. He seems to be doing a better job with Catholic. I limit myself to my domain: Pentecostalism.

I pasted a thought on my FB page where I said that neither Jesus nor the apostles made altar calls but they witnessed converts in thousands. Why is it that with all our altar calling and profession of Christianity, Christianity is said to be one mile wide in Africa but just an inch deep? Answer: the gospel. The holy spirit saves by the preached word. If this word is compromised with money, again tithing, there is no power. We then resort to altar calls but the converts only profess but are not truly saved!

Why are you derailing your thread?? LWKMD!!! grin grin grin
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Enigma(m): 8:20pm On Apr 11, 2013
Zikkyy:

If you want every man be fully persuaded in his own mind, why you dey support pastor threatening/deceiving his congregation with tithe preaching? angry

Him no say the OP get a serious point that is potentially damaging for him business, of course. grin

As has been pointed out over the years, one of the main pillars and stays of the prosperity "gospel" is the bondage teaching of "tithing" and the bondage into which it places its victims.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
@Strykt
I apologise for that referral to Catholics. I am sorry about it. Indeed it is derailing the thread but I honestly referred this thread to those who tithe and those who don't especially in Pentecostal circle. You have been very courteous in your responses so far; there was no need for that attack on Catholics, their belief in Mary or celibacy. I however still invite U to the debate and the website, I believe, will answer your questions on tithing, like it did mine.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 11, 2013
DrummaBoy: @Strykt
I apologise for that referral to Catholics. I am sorry about it. Indeed it is derailing the thread but I honestly referred this thread to those who tithe and those who don't especially in Pentecostal circle. You have been very courteous in your responses so far; there was no need for that attack on Catholics, their belief in Mary or celibacy. I however still invite U to the debate and the website, I believe, will answer your questions on tithing, like it did mine.

There is really no need for the apologies! I am used to the 'attacks'...I really do not mind the 'attacks' if and only if the one 'attacking' is sincere in his/her beliefs.

Anyways, there is no need for me to check out the website because I really do not have anything against those who tithe or those who decide not to.

Unlike you, I have never paid tithe in my life and I do not plan to pay tithe in the nearest future but this does not mean that those who pay tithe for the right reasons are doing wrong.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:56pm On Apr 11, 2013
Now that is the issue: there is no right reason to pay the tithe.
Jesus did not mince words when he said men would either worship God or Mammon. Where do we get the example of paying tithe or collecting from? Is Jesus our ultimate example? Did he pay or collect tithe? If He did he would have broken the law and sinned. Did the apostle collect tithe? How come in all his teaching on giving, Paul 'forgot' to mention the tithe?
The tithe is deception. Well calculated to deceive the ordinary people. But money is spirit. You cannot enthrone money this way in church and allow God's Spirit to move and save.
The worst is still the use of the word PAY.It shows that it has been turned into an obligation, following mosaic laws. That way those who pay tithe have fallen from grace. They cannot enjoy God's power as they should.
That is my point!
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 11, 2013
DrummaBoy: Now that is the issue: there is no right reason to pay the tithe.

Well, unless you do not believe in supporting the work of God with the 3 T's (Time, Talent and Treasure)...To give tithe to support the work of God is a good reason, as long as the individual is not forced to give it.

DrummaBoy:
Jesus did not mince words when he said men would either worship God or Mammon.

When Christ talked about worshiping Mammon, I believe he was not referring to the support people give to the church or 'MoG'. Remember that it was the same Christ who sent out the seventy and ask them to take nothing for the journey because what they need would be provided by their host.

Luke 10:7
King James Version (KJV)

7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

DrummaBoy:
Where do we get the example of paying tithe or collecting from? Is Jesus our ultimate example? Did he pay or collect tithe?

Jesus is indeed our perfect model. A lot of people keep asking the same question: 'did Jesus do this or that?' forgetting that as Jesus did not do some certain things, he was not against them also. But the bottom line is that Christ encouraged us to help ministers of God.

DrummaBoy:
If He did he would have broken the law and sinned.

Broken the law?? I don't understand!

DrummaBoy:
Did the apostle collect tithe? How come in all his teaching on giving, Paul 'forgot' to mention the tithe?

I believe the demand the Apostles made was more than tithe paying, if you ask me:

Acts 5:1-13
King James Version (KJV)

1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, 2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

DrummaBoy:
The tithe is deception. Well calculated to deceive the ordinary people. But money is spirit. You cannot enthrone money this way in church and allow God's Spirit to move and save.

It might be as you said up there but you still need to prove it.

DrummaBoy:
The worst is still the use of the word PAY.It shows that it has been turned into an obligation, following mosaic laws. That way those who pay tithe have fallen from grace. They cannot enjoy God's power as they should.
That is my point!

I don't believe any body should be made to pay money in Church but again, the ish between Peter and the couples (Ananias and Sapphira) what can we say about that? Yea, you can say they lied to the Holy spirit but still support for 'MoG' is not frowned at by Sacred scriptures.

I agree that some persons are using Sacred scriptures as a means to enrich themselves but really it would be inappropriate to say anyone who accepts tithe is trying to enrich him or herself.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by garyarnold(m): 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
Real life implications of tithing:

Being a Money & Finance Minister dealing with this area of the scriptures 7 days a week, let me give some real life implications of what happens when one is taught that tithing is still required, or that blessings are dependent on tithing, or that you will be cursed if you don't tithe.

1 - I am familiar with a woman who admits that her children have to go without one meal per week so that she will have enough money to pay her tithe.

2 - I am familiar with a woman who told me she is living in fear, just waiting for God to curse her by way of an accident or illness, because she cannot afford to tithe.

3 - I am familiar with many who have guilt feelings when they don't have enough funds left to pay a tithe from their income.

4 - I am familiar with many who have tithed all their lives and are still living paycheck to paycheck, still trusting the blessings are coming.

5 - I am familiar with and personally know pastors who know they are teaching a false doctrine of tithing, but tell me they do it because they don't think the congregation would give enough to keep the church doors open if they didn't believe they are robbing God if they don't give the tenth to the church.

Those are just the beginning, but any one of those is enough to see the negative implications of teaching that tithing is a requirement of God.

Those teaching that tithing is required today, or that blessings are dependent on tithing, or that they will be cursed if they don't tithe, obviously don't fear the consequences of their actions.

2 Likes

Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 11, 2013
garyarnold: Real life implications of tithing:

Being a Money & Finance Minister dealing with this area of the scriptures 7 days a week, let me give some real life implications of what happens when one is taught that tithing is still required, or that blessings are dependent on tithing, or that you will be cursed if you don't tithe.

1 - I am familiar with a woman who admits that her children have to go without one meal per week so that she will have enough money to pay her tithe.

2 - I am familiar with a woman who told me she is living in fear, just waiting for God to curse her by way of an accident or illness, because she cannot afford to tithe.

3 - I am familiar with many who have guilt feelings when they don't have enough funds left to pay a tithe from their income.

4 - I am familiar with many who have tithed all their lives and are still living paycheck to paycheck, still trusting the blessings are coming.

5 - I am familiar with and personally know pastors who know they are teaching a false doctrine of tithing, but tell me they do it because they don't think the congregation would give enough to keep the church doors open if they didn't believe they are robbing God if they don't give the tenth to the church.

Those are just the beginning, but any one of those is enough to see the negative implications of teaching that tithing is a requirement of God.

Those teaching that tithing is required today, or that blessings are dependent on tithing, or that they will be cursed if they don't tithe, obviously don't fear the consequences of their actions.

Brother, this is the anguish I feel when these stories come to my knowledge, having been in a similar situation and seen countless others held bondage by this doctrine of devils.

We cannot give up on this fight , many of those who defend this doctrine are themselves scared of losing out on the benefits or receiving the curses of , the tithe.

May God open eyes.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Yooguyz: 10:47pm On Apr 11, 2013
good evening op,
i have never paid tithe in my life and i don't intend on paying tithe but let those who do keep doing it, *in my mind* #deluded bunch of tithe paying folks# I am a Caktholic christian but i dont believe in God, in fact religion is the opium of the masses.
YOU can ATTACK me cos am used to attacks infact i'll welcome one so far it's sincere #but if i troll you with multiple id's eh?#
funny thing about me i don't even believe in the bible am quoting it's for gullible people
you know yourself
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 11, 2013
Yooguyz: good evening op,
i have never paid tithe in my life and i don't intend on paying tithe but let those who do keep doing it, *in my mind* #deluded bunch of tithe paying folks# I am a Caktholic christian but i dont believe in God, in fact religion is the opium of the masses.
YOU can ATTACK me cos am used to attacks infact i'll welcome one so far it's sincere #but if i troll you with multiple id's eh?#
funny thing about me i don't even believe in the bible am quoting it's for gullible people
you know yourself

You see how you embarrass yourself? I know you would make this slip some time soon.

#You thought you were using your double (jezuspoa).

SMH!!!
Re: Implication Of Tithing by Yooguyz: 11:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
striktlymi:

You see how you embarrass yourself? I know you would make this slip some time soon.

#You thought you were using your double (jezuspoa).

SMH!!!
hehehehe....lol....LWKMD
funny thing is that i didn't call any names is some one having a guilty consciense?
BTW i can't remember me saying--Religion is the opium of the masses. Remind me will you? Seems like i have a poor memory.
It's hurting isn't it?
OMG! stritklymi...oh sowie striktlymi is about to burst!!!
#packs up and runs away#

2 Likes

Re: Implication Of Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 10:00am On Apr 12, 2013
CHURCH HISTORY OF TITHING

A study of church history will show that at some point, probably around the year 600, the churches brought back the teaching of tithing, but only as voluntary giving, and still just on the crops, herds, and flocks, right out of the Old Testament. Since they didn't teach it as a "biblical tithe," they were able to change the rules to make it fit the needs of the church. By the middle of the 13th century, the Church's claim to tithes was extended to include the poultry of the yard and the cattle of the stall, to the catch of fish and the game of the forests. Had tithing in the Old Testament been on everything as some have claimed, there would have been no need to expand the definition.

My research shows that tithing was first taught and collected by churches in the United States during the second half of the 1800s. Had tithing always been required, why was it not until the late 1800s that the churches in the United States started collecting tithes? And even then, the teaching of tithing was not consistent between churches. It wasn't until recent years that churches started teaching that you tithe on your income, or gross income.

My research shows that during the late 1800s some churches taught that men were to tithe a larger amount than women, that no tithing was required for those under the age of 18, and once you reached the age of 65 you no longer were required to tithe. At times tithing was based on the value of property owned. Those who didn't own property didn't tithe. They gave freewill offerings. In one case I found the church council members voted to change tithing to income because it would bring in twice as much money. The problem is, all this was taught as biblical.

In many cases, if not most, today's tithing teacher is merely teaching was he/she was taught. Many who later do their own in-depth research have repented and no longer teach that tithing is required today.

For those interested in the history the Christian church, you may want to read the book, HISTORY OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH by Philip Schaff

The above I got from Gary Arnold's website. The main point of the gist is that tithe paying is not orthodox.
Now let me relate a story that I believe will lend credence still to this argument. Close to two years ago I was listening Pastor Tunde Bakare via the internet. And he preached on the question of Firstfruit. The trust of the message was that firstfruit was biblical. He used examples from the old testament mainly. His explanation was less draconian than most churches. While they collect firstfruit every January. He said the firstfruit was your first pay or any other increase on your pay or salary.
That same week my Pastor here in Ibadan said he didnt believe there was any such thing as a firstfruit. He said the firstfruit in the NT was the tithe.
From the above I was convinced that the issue bordered on interpretation of scripture. So I chose the interpretation of my Ibadan Pastor and only paid tithe until last month. In my discourse in the last thread I opened someone mentioned that Jesus is our firstfruit (1Corinthians). Now it is apparent that if my Ibadan Pastor had lived in the early 20th century, when tithing was begining to gain grounds, same way firstfruit has begun to gain ground in the early 21st century, he himself would have rejected the tithe offering. But it is accepted today, not bc it is scriptural but bc it is the usual practice. With time, firstfruit giving will become a usual thing churches practice, and anyone who doesnt give it will be seen as disobeying God.
My point is that we do not decide to do something based on what is usual or popular in our local assemblies. Rather we decide on our actions based on our understanding of scriptures. For God's laws for the NT christian are written on the heart.
Re: Implication Of Tithing by truthislight: 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2013
striktlymi: Good evening DBoy,

Do you know what it means to derail a thread? All I have done is respond to your posts and you call that derailing?

...and the 'holy spirit' revealed that to you?

You are indeed funny by the above. Go to a website to get answers? What is wrong with you giving answers? After-all, you created this thread. Note that the OP addressed very little!

Hasn't anyone told you that when you make an accusation on nairaland, you must be ready to back it up? Where exactly did I say you balance the law with grace?

Your premise is very flawed and based on sentiments as you have revealed already!

Thanks!

@Strik. What exactly are you doing? Trying to embarras the op?

This is very much unbecoming of you, and very much unlike you.

The op has made a valid point that prosperity gospel is not biblical but you did not see that truth but keep on throwing tantrums.

Will you resist from this rut?

striktlymi:

Now what is that ^?

Are you a "fool" or an atheist in the making?

When the bible is being castigetted by your atheist friends you have nothing to say to defend the bible cause you dont know what to say or how to defend the bible since RCC did not teach you how.
how then can you see what the op is talking about here from the bible?

I put it to you that what the op is saying is beyond your level and comprehension hence your blind argument here.

some of us are waiting for you to declear your atheism soonest, afteral you are a catholic and over 90% of the atheist on this forum are former catholic, so, yours will not be an exception or something new.

Meanwhile, while you are at it, dont fly above your wing capacity.

LEAVE the op alone, cant you see that the tith collectors are fraud? Are you blind?

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Tithing by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 12, 2013
truthislight:

@Strik. What exactly are you doing? Trying to embarras the op?

This is very much unbecoming of you, and very much unlike you.

The op has made a valid point that prosperity gospel is not biblical but you did not see that truth but keep on throwing tantrums.

Will you resist from this rut?

Now what is that ^?

Are you a "fool" or an atheist in the making?

When the bible is being castigetted by your atheist friends you have nothing to say to defend the bible cause you dont know what to say or how to defend the bible since RCC did not teach you how.
how then can you see what the op is talking about here from the bible?

I put it to you that what the op is saying is beyond your level and comprehension hence your blind argument here.

some of us are waiting for you to declear your atheism soonest, afteral you are a catholic and over 90% of the atheist on this forum are former catholic, so, yours will not be an exception or something new.

Meanwhile, while you are at it, dont fly above your wing capacity.

LEAVE the op alone, cant you see that the tith collectors are fraud? Are you blind?

Good afternoon truthislight,

The above is quite hilarious! When you are done with your emotions then may be you can give your own contribution to the thread.

#You just proved that it's easier to discuss with some Atheists than so called Christians!
Re: Implication Of Tithing by truthislight: 5:55pm On Apr 12, 2013
striktlymi:

Good afternoon truthislight,

The above is quite hilarious! When you are done with your emotions then may be you can give your own contribution to the thread.

#You just proved that it's easier to discuss with some Atheists than so called Christians!

Good afternoon "atheist" G.

How soon ^?

I feel it is already boiling inside.
cool

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Is Christmas For True Christians? / The Way / Sunday Is Not The Sabbath Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.