Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Sending Executable Files Through Gmail - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sending Executable Files Through Gmail (68207 Views)

Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria / Help My Yahoo Account Is Generating Emails And Sending / Send Sms From Your Gmail Account To Any Cell Phone Anywhere! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by femi4: 11:25am On Apr 24, 2013
I first noticed that sending .exe file is not allowed when I tried to send a small installer application as an attachment to a friend. When I uploaded the .exe file to Gmail it gave me the alert:

"This is an executable file. For security reasons, Gmail does not allow you to send this type of file."

Wow, are you serious!?! The file I uploaded was not scanned at all, it was just blocked immediately since it was an exe file. Why would Google call this an antivirus scanner when it is merely just blocking attachments with certain file extensions? Yahoo's webmail also has an anti-virus scanner, but it actually works! They accept .exe files, and they even scan and clean the files if they were found to be infected.

Since you cannot turn off the Gmail antivirus scanning utility, you can use one of the following methods to send an executable program file (exe), and other blocked file formats in Gmail

1. Rename the file:
Change the file extension to fool the Gmail scanner. Example: rename update.zip to update.zib
Or rename the attachment to contain instructions for the recipient to property use it. For example: rename update.exe to update.exe.removeme

2. Change the extension of the zip file
If you have lot of .exe files to send, put them in a zip file and change the extension of the zip file as mentioned in step one. Remember, Gmail denies zip attachments that contain exe files. Password protection won't work either since Gmail is able to examine .exe filenames even in password protected zipped file. as the archived filename listings are not encrypted by the Zip program.

3. Use different compression software like WinRAR: It compresses files in .rar format which is not currently blocked by Google. There is a high probability that Gmail will not support .rar formats in future. So if you do send one be sure the recipient actually received it.

Important: I recommend using only the first technique since all others violate Google's terms and policies. If they do find out they could terminate your Gmail account completely.

7 Likes

Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by 3RNEST(m): 4:46pm On Apr 24, 2013
Nice one Femi#, i will give it a try...but i do use sendspace to send exe. file.
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by techcloud7: 6:20am On Oct 03, 2013
There are several ways to get it done here is one details post which let you send any kind of files through gmail.check out this post how to send exe files via gmail grin grin
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by passionate88: 7:25am On Oct 03, 2013
Nice one.
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Debeloved87(m): 4:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
Information,CommunicationTechnology...nice one
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by frankie15x(m): 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2013
grin grin
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by AdekunleSegun(m): 4:36pm On Nov 27, 2013
.rar is locked
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by olahero(m): 4:37pm On Nov 27, 2013
nice thread.
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by free2ryhme: 4:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
And it made fRont page. Na wa o
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by saintneo(m): 4:46pm On Nov 27, 2013
Why go through these stress when you can use an off-browser applications such as WindowsLiveMail or MicroSoft Outlook.

Get your gmail account on any of these two programs, then send .exe files
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by BigBen10: 4:46pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thanks alot menh. I have been trying to send .exe files via gmail for months. Thanks for eyeopener. I am opening a new yahoo account now
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by olorunthobby(f): 4:47pm On Nov 27, 2013
oh...thanks
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Maleeq(m): 4:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
saintneo: Why through these stress when you can use an off-web application such as WindowsLiveMail or MicroSoft Outlook.
have you ever been behind a firewall that restricts access to file sharing sites, and need to send an *.exe to someone?

Some corporate firms and institutions block access to curtail bandwidth usage.
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by fabulousdubby(m): 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2013
Yes just d way it sud b don
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by yomalex(m): 5:09pm On Nov 27, 2013
cool
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by denzel2009: 5:11pm On Nov 27, 2013
I won't even open a mail with an .exe extension. Just rar the file and send.
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by leumas2009: 5:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
What i normally do is append a .txt to the .zip and send.
So what i have is file.zip.txt
The i ask the recipient to remove the .txt at the once it is downloaded to their computer.
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 27, 2013
Sending .exe files of large size will finish one's data now, abi? And unless you have a fast wifi or network connection, it would be very slow (even 3g)
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Raypawer(m): 5:19pm On Nov 27, 2013
isok
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by akereconfi: 5:22pm On Nov 27, 2013
una wan send remote keyloggers abi

G boys

1 Like

Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Gabrielsylar(m): 5:27pm On Nov 27, 2013
Shange the extension from .exe to .doc

Finish

Even a dogg knows dat

Next thread pls

1 Like

Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by codeaddict(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2013
You could also use Endow. It's an application that hides files behind files. So if an image or any other file is allowed. You could hide the executables or whatever else you intend to send, behind an image. The image could still be viewed with its original image content. And extraction could be done still with the same app. Here's a link to download - https://github.com/oduaht/Endow/releases/download/v1/Endow.jar

1 Like

Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by ultraGM: 5:34pm On Nov 27, 2013
dont be surprise if Gmail is doing binary scan on your attachment. So dont be disappointed if Gmail stop that
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by TBrownAuto(m): 5:38pm On Nov 27, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Shange the extension from .exe to .doc

Finish

Even a dogg knows dat

Next thread pls
how do u change .exe to .doc
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by pendusky(m): 5:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
femi4:
Important: I recommend using only the first technique since all others violate Google's terms and policies. If they do find out they could terminate your Gmail account completely.
so you think it would be funny to terminate my gmail?? maybe i will open a new gmail and try it.. i cant do it with my main gmail account since all my mails are linked to it..thanks for the info though...

but if you buy a java techno phone you can send app using Bluetooth.. grin grin grin
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
Geeky stuff with less viewers and comments. Shows that Nigerians are not ready to learn and explore...SMH.

1 Like

Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 27, 2013
pls can anyone send me FIFA SETUP of any year. I'll reward such gesture. olekumaster@gmail.com
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by KillMoves: 6:40pm On Nov 27, 2013
Re: Sending Executable Files Through Gmail by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2013
Archive the file with win rar and send....what is all this story for?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Come in for laptop replacement battery⚡⚡ deals in Abuja / USA Used HP Probook 4530s Core I5 For Sale. / Sites For Downloading Softwares.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.