Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting (2444 Views)

15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / Over 100 Computer Keyboard Shortcuts!!! / Using Computer Keyboard Short Cut (tips 'n Tricks) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Aug 16, 2005
My computer keyboard (PS/2 ) often stops working while I'm using the PC (Pentium 4 Celeron in ATX Tower Casing). When this happens, I would have to remove the keyboard from the PS/2 socket and insert it back to get it to work. That's annoying.

At other times, when I've just booted up my PC, I discover that neither the PS/2 mouse nor the keyboard are responding, so I'll have to shut down with the power button (thank goodness I use an ATX case) wait for a few seconds and then switch the PC back on. This is more annoying.

The worst thing that happens is when I'm working and the speaker suddenly starts making a rapid beeping sound. Then both the keyboard and mouse would stop working and I have to restart the PC and lose all my work. This is the most annoying aspect of the problem.

So is this something I can fix by simply changing my keyboard, or would this require new keyboard and mouse adapters for the motherboard? Is it safe to clean with alcohol or oil and would it help?
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by tomcat: 10:58am On Aug 17, 2005
I had similar problem where both my keyboard and mouse will lock up on boot....

I unplugged my keyboard (PS/2) and plugged back in...and after that it was fine...

Looks like ur pins on the PS/2 adaptor are damaged....by cleaning the pins with alcohol I don't think u will damage it...as long as you allow pleanty of time...for the alcohol to evaporate, cause u don't want to be plugging it in "wet".

If all the above fails I would replace the keyboard..and that would fix your problem...I do not think you need to replace your mouse as well...

If you replace the keyboard...might be a better option going USB instead of PS/2

Hope that helps...smiley
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by DASKACE(m): 8:51pm On Aug 17, 2005
@ Seun, the only scenerio when your PC's keyboard would stop working, is when the keyboard (PS/2) connector to the PC is not conneted properly. Hence, you should connect it firmly to the PC. You should check around if the table carrying your keyboard and mouse cables to the PC are not too far away, hence this might be the cause of the problem.

Since your keyboard and mouse are PS/2 and not parrallel ports, u don't have to reboot your PC for it to see this peripherals. Simply removing and re-inserting would solve this problem. It's not that strenious. grin

On the problem you are having with the speaker, guess this might be caused when you cause any partial contact on the source supplying power,often caused when you apply force on the outlet. If this happens,it causes static to the systemboard hence communication to the peripherals tends to cease.

I don't think changing the keyboard gonna help yah as it doesn't look like a keyboaard problem to me. You only clean your mouse with Methylated Spirit and not oil, if you suspect it to be dirty.
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Seun(m): 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2005
Thanks for your advice. I'll clean the keyboard and mouse sockets and see if it happens again!
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by smartsoft(m): 2:09am On Aug 19, 2005
IF it happens again.. no need changing yor mouse or keyboard.. just need to disassemble your PC and make some servicing.. on it and clean everthing with a blower machine.. including the motherboard and the adpater cards.. and re-assemble back. probably there is conflict somewhere.
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by kazey(m): 2:15am On Aug 19, 2005
Dont you think it is driver conflicts? Try to repair your windows.
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Chxta(m): 8:27pm On Aug 19, 2005
Can't be driver conflict. Hardware issues. First do the alcohol thing and if that doesn't work, disassemble the system. It'd work I guarantee you.
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Greatpeter(m): 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2005
Don't ude oil just use paraffin or spirit to clean.

I have a problem here too with my computer keyboard.
The key @ key is not functioning for this purpose rather if you press @botten it will write "(inverted comma)
These two bottons just exchange functions pls what is the prob and what do i do to correct it.
Seun and the computer gurus in the house what should i do?
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Chxta(m): 7:48am On Aug 20, 2005
Change the language settings. You are currently on British. If you are using Windows XP, check the tray near the clock, you should see a small box written 'EN'. Click it and change from English (UK) to English (US).
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by jade(f): 12:34pm On Aug 28, 2005
This is not a solution to your case, but just remembered similar situation i used to encounter with my old pc(win98).

Unplug/plug the keyboard didn't help at the time of boot when it didn't recognize the mouse/keyboard(ps/2), so i did the following.

reboot, press F8 few times, choose "command prompt only(5)",
enter "CD(space1)windows" *
enter "CD(space1)command" *
enter "scanreg(space1)/restore" *
* (all lower case letters)
(space1) = strike space key once

list of your login(boot up) information will be shown, choose the last date(time) your pc recognized the mouse/keyboard.
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by allonym: 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2005
how old are your mice and keyboard?

You may want to take a look at their pins, and female connectors on your pc. Clean up dust, etc.

The PS/2 protocol has peripherals perform a BAT (basic assurance test) and then report success to the host device. At which point, the host device resets them and the sets up the parameters for use. If BOTH your keyboard and mouse are failing, either both are no longer working properly, or there is something impeding the signal transfer between them. Enough dirt on the data pin or clock pin is enough to screw stuff up. If that is indeed the problem, it also explain why it sometimes works when you unplug and plug back it, you probably scrape off enough of the stuff to make a good connection.
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Oct 30, 2005
Thanks, everyone, for helping me out with this. I decided to buy a new mouse and keyboard and the problem hasn't recurred since then!
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Z4M4eva(f): 2:25pm On Nov 21, 2005
That was what you needed then smiley
Re: My Computer Keyboard Often Needs Reinsertion or Rebooting by Jauntybaba: 12:16pm On Jun 08, 2022

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Window Xp Called Its Name / US USED HP PAVILION x360 / Gocybetix Timer License For Sale?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.