Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Cloud Computing - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Cloud Computing (2649 Views)

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 And Holographic Computing / Is Cloud Computing Possible Offline? / Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cloud Computing by Kattylone(f): 8:01pm On May 20, 2013
Is it ever gonna get to Nigeria?? I mean ordinary internet connection is a sweat..
Re: Cloud Computing by simplyme3(f): 8:10pm On May 20, 2013
What kind of question is that? What do you understand by cloud computing? You mean people are not hosting their applications on the cloud as yet in Nigeria? I live in Nigeria and I have clients I have hosted their app on the cloud.
Re: Cloud Computing by Kattylone(f): 8:23pm On May 20, 2013
Hosting aint the problem.. Accessing!
Re: Cloud Computing by malign(m): 8:42pm On May 20, 2013
Kattylone: Is it ever gonna get to Nigeria?? I mean ordinary internet connection is a sweat..

Whilst in Nigeria, I used the cloud, it's pretty well integrated into fundamental applications nowadays.

What I understand this post to mean is when Nigeria would get some sort of peer-to-peer cloud infrastructure within Nigeria.

It's a brilliant idea, location based cloud computing, one I don't thoroughly understand, but one I've been thinking about.

Consider things like Skype that route their calls/videos through users' bandwidth. Re-using physical data centres in such a way _within_ Nigeria wouldn't evaporate the pre-existing issues of dwindling bandwidth, but might make such issues negligible in certain areas, for certain sorts of uses.

Would be nice if people that know more than I do about the cloud would chime in, here.

1 Like

Re: Cloud Computing by onegig(m): 7:49pm On May 21, 2013
It would interest you to know some companies in nigeria now offer cloud computing it's just that its limited and expensive. We still have a long way to go because most basic infrastructure that would make it work effectively are non existent. Even 3g networks being touted are useless and damn slow.

1 Like

Re: Cloud Computing by alexis(m): 11:27am On May 23, 2013
onegig: It would interest you to know some companies in nigeria now offer cloud computing it's just that its limited and expensive. We still have a long way to go because most basic infrastructure that would make it work effectively are non existent. Even 3g networks being touted are useless and damn slow.

Is the cloud platform hosted in Nigeria. If it is, I am interested in testing their services. Please advise
Re: Cloud Computing by onegig(m): 11:49am On May 23, 2013
alexis:

Is the cloud platform hosted in Nigeria. If it is, I am interested in testing their services. Please advise

I cant speak on specifics but there are companies offering such services. If their platforms are hosted in Nigeria is another story entirely as most may just be branches but got a link from a friend when i asked him more.

https://www.signalalliance.com/
Re: Cloud Computing by alexis(m): 11:55am On May 23, 2013
onegig:

I cant speak on specifics but there are companies offering such services. If their platforms are hosted in Nigeria is another story entirely as most may just be branches but got a link from a friend when i asked him more.

https://www.signalalliance.com/

I know there are companies offering such services, no doubt about that. Their are alot of Nigerian companies offering web hosting and domain registration but all they do is resell the same from their upstream providers in the US.

So, if the cloud back-bone is in the US, then all traffic from 9ja will be going all the way to servers in the US. I looked up the company and basically they are reselling Microsoft Office 365 as their flag-ship cloud platform.

It will be interesting to get some matrix from the major ISPs in Nigeria and see what will happen if traffic stayed only in Nigeria than going out to the Internet.
Re: Cloud Computing by onegig(m): 1:16pm On May 23, 2013
alexis:

I know there are companies offering such services, no doubt about that. Their are alot of Nigerian companies offering web hosting and domain registration but all they do is resell the same from their upstream providers in the US.

So, if the cloud back-bone is in the US, then all traffic from 9ja will be going all the way to servers in the US. I looked up the company and basically they are reselling Microsoft Office 365 as their flag-ship cloud platform.

It will be interesting to get some matrix from the major ISPs in Nigeria and see what will happen if traffic stayed only in Nigeria than going out to the Internet.

na so....i was on mobile so i didnt even check the link....Thats where the problem is.

Which company has the infrastructure hoisted here in Naija..i guess none. Most are just resellers .
Re: Cloud Computing by alexis(m): 5:12pm On May 23, 2013
onegig:

na so....i was on mobile so i didnt even check the link....Thats where the problem is.

Which company has the infrastructure hoisted here in Naija..i guess none. Most are just resellers .

That is where is the problem is. 9ja has huge internet traffic; if this traffic stayed only in Nigeria, it will create another new market that would create jobs and innovation.

1 Like

Re: Cloud Computing by eddiemayan(m): 10:47am On Jun 03, 2013
alexis:

You can check out many cloud providers website. like this: http://www.cloudreviews.com/blog/best-cloud-hosting-providers

here is the top providers of Cloud hosting. All providers are offers worldwide service. you can get help from this.
Re: Cloud Computing by alexis(m): 12:41pm On Jun 03, 2013
eddiemayan:

You can check out many cloud providers website. like this: http://www.cloudreviews.com/blog/best-cloud-hosting-providers

here is the top providers of Cloud hosting. All providers are offers worldwide service. you can get help from this.

Are there any specific clod hosting providers in Nigeria where the data centers are in Nigeria
Re: Cloud Computing by eddiemayan(m): 10:51am On Jun 04, 2013
alexis:

Are there any specific clod hosting providers in Nigeria where the data centers are in Nigeria

Not Exactly in Nigeria But Amazon EC2 zone 3 is nearest to Nigeria and cover entire Africa. RackSpace Platform are in Hong Kong.
Re: Cloud Computing by alexis(m): 2:28pm On Jun 04, 2013
eddiemayan:

Not Exactly in Nigeria But Amazon EC2 zone 3 is nearest to Nigeria and cover entire Africa. RackSpace Platform are in Hong Kong.

That is my point then - there are no cloud hosting data centers in Nigeria!

(1) (Reply)

Like New Dell Precision M4800 - 8gb Ram, 750gb Hdd, Nvidia Graphics, Fhd / Starcomms Izap Usb And Ipnx Internet Modem For Sale 08023436486 / Which Is The Best Internet Connection In Lagos,cost Of Modem And Subscription?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.