Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,378 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems (10256 Views)

Why Am I The Only One Experiencing Nairaland Server Problem? / Server Problem / Ck Client Nd Surfstation Server Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by lordimpaq(m): 4:17pm On May 06, 2008
i know it might sound crazy, i know how to authorize a DHCP server, i've done it countless times,

but for some reason this particular server doesn't assign ip addresses to clients

when u authorize it says its authorized but when u still click on the DHCP page it says you have to authorize,

it baffles me, please help.
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by uspry1(f): 7:28pm On May 06, 2008
Google it finding "Not Authorized DHCP server".
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by Maleeq(m): 11:57am On May 07, 2008
@lordimpaq

From your statement, I feel the DHCP server you are trying to authorize is a stand-alone server. Is that right?

Well, if that is true, then you should know that Stand-Alone or Workgroup DHCP servers (running Windows 2000 or 2003 server) CANNOT become authorized in Active Directory network. They can still coexist with these networks as long as they are not deployed on a subnet with any authorized DHCP servers. This is not a good setup and should be avoided. Such servers are termed "Rogue Servers".

This is what is happening, when a rogue server detects an authorized server on the same subnet, it automatically stops its own DHCP service and stops leasing IP addresses to clients. As such, try all you may, it wont be authorized and wont lease IP in these scenarios.

Cheers!
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by yemibee(m): 9:52pm On May 07, 2008
@ uspry1 its like you just compounded the guys problem by sending him to doom cry.

Well, if i understand the problem, i guess you ought to first install Active Directory and if its a standalone server like Uspry1 rightly said, you should make it Domain Controller then you can reinstall DHCP and Authorize within the domain, also note that if you might need to install DNS and make it your primary DNS, else you would have some problems with Vista. Cheers, hope it works for you.
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by yemibee(m): 9:54pm On May 07, 2008
shocked was actually refering to Maleeq
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by uspry1(f): 10:40pm On May 07, 2008
yemibee:

@ uspry1 its like you just compounded the guys problem by sending him to doom cry.

Well, if i understand the problem, i guess you ought to first install Active Directory and if its a standalone server like Uspry1 rightly said, you should make it Domain Controller then you can reinstall DHCP and Authorize within the domain, also note that if you might need to install DNS and make it your primary DNS, else you would have some problems with Vista. Cheers, hope it works for you.

@yemibee

At first i scratched my head what you talked about! Oh you referred to Maleeq has said it all!

yemibee:

shocked was actually refering to Maleeq

LOL! That's okay! Understandable! grin
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by Maleeq(m): 9:00am On May 08, 2008
yemibee:

Well, if i understand the problem, i guess you ought to first install Active Directory and if its a standalone server like Uspry1 tongue Maleeq rightly said, you should make it Domain Controller
Since he mentioned authorization, I believe he's working in an Active Directory environment already. No need to re-install active directory services.
Now, its not a most that DHCP servers be Domain Controller or Back Up Domain Controllers. Any domain member server (File, Print, Mail, Application servers) can run DHCP services too.

yemibee:

also note that if you might need to install DNS and make it your primary DNS, else you would have some problems with Vista.
By implication, do you suggest installing DNS services on all DHCP servers? I dont think that is necessary if he already has a DNS server correctly configured on the domain.
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by yemibee(m): 1:17pm On May 08, 2008
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by lordimpaq(m): 12:34pm On May 11, 2008
why would i want to authorize with a "rogue server" in the first place,

the server i'm trying to authorize is a secondary domain controller, i've got 4 domain controllers, in three different locations,

and they all replicate to each other,

the DNS server is okay, and believe me, i've tried everything technet could offer, but they didn't work,

i'll just have to re install the server operating system,
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by Maleeq(m): 8:23am On May 12, 2008
Well, something is wrong (With the system or your configuration). When DHCP services is installed on a Domain controller, it gets AUTOMATICALLY authorized once you have a scope defined.
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by lordimpaq(m): 3:03pm On May 12, 2008
what i'm saying is that it stopped working all of a sudden, it was working before,

then i checked the event viewer to see that it had something to do with the DNS

and apparently the server could communicate with the DNS server, and yet it could not authorize despite frequent rebooting of the server
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by ekhorasan: 1:31pm On Nov 18, 2010
Hi
I want to use DHCP Server only for assigning IP automaticaly to clients. Should I authorize it?
thank you
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by saviola77(m): 7:59pm On Nov 19, 2010
~~ shocked of course you have to authorize it before ips will be leased out~~
Re: Dhcp Server Problem: Authorize Problems by v3: 10:19pm On Nov 19, 2010
Windows 2008 server makes administration look so easy. .

Try upgrading(if you haven't) to save yourself some stress. I assume you're running windows 2003 server (stand alone)

(1) (Reply)

Are Lenovo Netbooks Reliable & Durable? / Ask Me Any Question On Pc Problems / What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.