Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,030 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know (20070 Views)

Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? / Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College / The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
I graduated over 5 years ago, have sat in over 10 interviews, worked in 3 continents – I have been the most junior member of a company, I have risen to be the most senior member (the Head) of a department, I have interviewed over 40 candidates, hired over 15 candidates and fired 1 employee. I have reviewed over 25 000 CVs (yes, twenty five thousand) and coached over 20 career seekers. I have worked full-time and studied full-time simultaneously, to receive an MBA.

A lot of people graduate with great hopes about post-graduation life. While these hopes can, and hopefully will, be met – they need to realise that times have changed, and success is no longer as ‘easy’ to achieve as it was many years ago. For this reason, graduates should arm themselves with the following observations – things I was forced to learn based on experience - to prevent disappointment:

1. Getting a degree is a great achievement, but it is only the starting point. Professional qualifications, skills-enhancement training and certifications have made the labour market more competitive. The wise graduates will immediately find ways to enhance their profiles.

2. There will always be far more job seekers than jobs, and not every graduate will receive an employment offer within their first year of graduation. The wise graduates will explore (goodly) alternatives right from the start.This leads to point 3 -

3. Many graduates are in a position to create wealth for themselves, but most will not, either because they are adamant about getting a ‘suit-and-tie’ job, or because they are waiting for a huge investment to come in. The wise graduates will start what they can with the little they have.

4. University education was not primarily designed for job-finding purposes, so it baffles me when graduates think that the ONLY way forward after graduation, is to receive an employment offer. Your university degree is designed to enhance your profile, to increase your knowledge, skills and world-view – to make you more useful to yourself and to the world.

5. Graduates need a teflon-coat. The job market and the business world are both very tough, but through resilience and continued effort, success is almost guaranteed.

6. It’s not necessarily the brightest and the best that make it to the top. There are a number of factors / skills that are not taught in the university or by most career centres, but which influence career success. These include: likeability, emotional intelligence, tact, aggressiveness (but not over-aggressiveness) and continuing professional development.

7. Not every job vacancy actually exists. Some are posted by recruitment agents to build their candidate database. In our beloved country, some others are posted by scammers to exploit graduates.

8. Not every job application you make will be seen by the company (because there will be many other applications). The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to have your application seen.

9. Your physical appearance (not in terms of beauty but in terms of neatness, carriage, composure and speech) will many times influence your career more than other factors. The wise graduates will ensure that they look their best and act professionally at all times.

10. It would be unwise to look down on any job opportunities. The ‘low’ jobs are only a ladder towards a better job / career.

This is the first and original posting of this article. I wrote it specifically for Nairaland, but I have since re-published it on blog.thecareertimes.com

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by laptop247(m): 12:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
nix one. front page tngs

Sometimes,honestly.its the circle we nigerians always go round... And if you don't hate it... You might die a nobody...

Go to skool,get a gud degree,look for job,cum look for wife,marry,get children,
And keep following the same thing... Befor you go die...

Now to the call of the day.. Thou am not yet even a student...in university... Jamb tings... But I think I can give a little piece of advice to graduates...
First ... If your not planning of setting up a company no matter how little before living skool ... Men.. Your definately going to face a lot trying to work for people ... That is ... If. You gat the job...

Secondly...
Someone ask me... Daniel how can I get a job... Then I remember the book...hard times don't last, but tough people do... The guy said... You need a job...? Then explain to your self how to catch a mouse...

Thirdly...
Guys... Nigeria is thus very easy now... Yes you heard me... It easy, if you can find a particular area and put all. You strenght ... Sure enough you be a great someday....

Forthly...
Nigerian graduate... Sorry to say ... Most of you guys ... Think... Immedaitely you graduate... Job the one side the wait for you. It might be possible if you gat long legs sha...

And
Some graduate really need serious flogging... Just because you graduate with 1st class in chemical engineering no mean you must not value even a secretary work in an organisation... Start. From somewhere... Then keep growing with time....

9 Likes

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by braine(m): 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Every graduate should really read this.. My life would have been much better if I had cry known earlier.

2 Likes

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by fragilgal(f): 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
True talk,I pick this one sharply.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by evelynluv(f): 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice one and thanks
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by idirect(m): 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
Very informative.

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by MrAladin: 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
Masterpiece

A Food For Thought.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by ekwerendi(m): 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
THIS IS POST OF THE MONTH ...GOD BLESS U OP

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Spanishmario(m): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nyc 1...muy bien
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by SaintChukz(m): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Definitely following this one..!
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by sexymoma(f): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
11. Spend less than you earn....

3 Likes

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Adatob(m): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
I make front page?? Unbelievable,back 2 the thread,i don't know the answer oh
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by tklala(m): 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice post ! Keep it up
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by SaintChukz(m): 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
sexymoma: .
Reserving Space right...? :|

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Pray(m): 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
lessons learnt
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Adatob(m): 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
Adatob: I make front page?? Unbelievable,back 2 the thread,i don't know the answer oh
nice post..allow this thing make front page oh
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by creativemusic: 2:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
nice ? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by IamAthens(m): 2:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
A perfect guide. Front page pls
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Ezionye(f): 2:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
Very educative. Tnx a lot. This is the kind of write up we shd be seein on this forum.

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Patdedon(m): 2:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice one op. They should remember that rome was not built in a day
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Anyi3(m): 2:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
MODS seem to be working this morning. I haven't seen any Stella Damascus wears blue gown on the streets.
Nice write up especially because its talking straight to me!

6 Likes

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by adedayourt(m): 2:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
Av J̶̲̥̅̊U̶̲̥̅̊Ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇Τ̣̣̥ been funished.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by talk2D: 2:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hello!
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by gabriel212: 2:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
My expertise brought me up to my present level n not my qualification.
YET, I NEED THE GRACE OF GOD N ADDITIONAL EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION TO MOVE TO ANODA BETTER POSITION!

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Lilaex: 2:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
INFORMATIVE•
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by isamusainuwa: 2:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
I realy admit to dis article n kudos to d writer, my perception towards success has change being a graduate
, tanks a lot.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
Post of the month Nyc one
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Iceman296: 2:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
[ It would be unwise to look
down on any job opportunities.
The ‘low’ jobs are only a ladder
towards a better job / career.]
..I love this Point Above!

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by SamConquer(m): 2:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
Informative.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by SaintChukz(m): 2:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
jesuslovesme123: I graduated a over 5 years ago, have sat in over 10 interviews, worked in 3 continents – I have been the most junior member of a company, I have risen to be the most senior member (the Head) of a department, I have interviewed over 40 candidates, hired over 15 candidates and fired 1 employee. I have reviewed over 25 000 CVs (yes, twenty five thousand) and coached over 20 career seekers. I have worked full-time and studied full-time simultaneously, to receive an MBA.

A lot of people graduate with great hopes about post-graduation life. While these hopes can, and hopefully will, be met – they need to realise that times have changed, and success is no longer as ‘easy’ to achieve as they were many years ago. For this reason, graduates should arm themselves with the following observations – things I was forced to learn based on experience - to prevent disappointment:

1. Getting a degree is a great achievement, but it is only the starting point. Professional qualifications, skills-enhancement training and certifications have made the labour market more competitive. The wise graduates will immediately find ways to enhance their profiles.

2. There will always be far more job seekers than jobs, and not every graduate will receive an employment offer within their first year of graduation. The wise graduates will explore (goodly) alternatives right from the start.This leads to point 3 -

3. Many graduates are in a position to create wealth for themselves, but most will not, either because they are adamant about getting a ‘suit-and-tie’ job, or because they are waiting for a huge investment to come in. The wise graduates will start what they can with the little they have.

4. University education was not primarily designed for job-finding purposes, so it baffles me when graduates think that the ONLY way forward after graduation, is to receive an employment offer. Your university degree is designed to enhance your profile, to increase your knowledge, skills and world-view – to make you more useful to yourself and to the world.

5. Graduates need a teflon-coat. The job market and the business world are both very tough, but through resilience and continued effort, success is almost guaranteed.

6. It’s not necessarily the brightest and the best that make it to the top. There are a number of factors / skills that are not taught in the university or by most career centres, but which influence career success. These include: likeability, emotional intelligence, tact, aggressiveness (but not over-aggressiveness) and continuing professional development.

7. Not every job vacancy actually exists. Some are posted by recruitment agents to build their candidate database. In our beloved country, some others are posted by scammers to exploit graduates.

8. Not every job application you make will be seen by the company (because there will be many other applications). The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to have your application seen.

9. Your physical appearance (not in terms of beauty but in terms of neatness, carriage, composure and speech) will many times influence your career more than other factors. The wise graduates will ensure that they look their best and act professionally at all times.

10. It would be unwise to look down on any job opportunities. The ‘low’ jobs are only a ladder towards a better job / career.
Op...your entire post is on point. With respect to #6 above, as much as i would easily agree with you, it however brings me to the question of the state of our tertiary institutions, what exactly are we taught in our eye-sored institutions that would make us equipped and capable to take on the job market and challenges that comes with it after graduation?
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
.dats really an eye opener. Nice 1 OP May God bless u.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Virtual Health And Safety Environment Service, Port Harcourt / Workers To Access 25% Pension Savings For Mortgage …to Forfeit Lump Sum Payment / Should I Quit School And Take This Job Offer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.