Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,861 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP (1677 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / October 14, 2013 An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Recent Meeting / An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by Deekaydadon(m): 11:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OTUOKE
INTERNAL INFORMATION RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2013
AN UPDATE ON ONGOING ASUU NEGOTIATIONS FOLLOWING TWO RECENT MEETINGS WITH VICE-PRESIDENT NAMADI SAMBO
From the Office of the Vice-Chancellor
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following two meetings (on Thursday 19th Sept 2013 and Friday 11th Oct 2013) of representativesof the AVCNU (Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, led by CVC Chairman, Prof. Hamisu of ATBU) and ASUU Representatives(led by its President, Dr. N. Fagge) with the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Arc. N. Sambo, Minister of Education Barr. N. Wike and others, all Vice-Chancellors have been urged to inform and enlighten our academic and other staff on the following developments so that we can ensure a return to normalcy in our universities within the shortest possible time
1. Earned Allowances: The N30 billion already released will now be increased to N40 billion, and should be regarded only as first installment, and not a once-and-for-all payment. Government will top it up with further releases once universities are through with the disbursement of this new figure of N40 million, so Vice-Chancellors are urged to expedite this disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the CVC.
2. NEEDS Assessment Capital Money: Government was cognizant and mindful of the ability of Universities to effectively/efficiently utilize the N100 billion fund immediately, hence that figure. However, in addition to this N100 billion dedicated and already made available for 2013, N200 billion (increased from N150 billion previously agreed) will now be earmarked in the 2014 Budget as well as each of the following three-four years until the Universities are brought to world-class standard.
3. Project Prioritization:Universities will now be allowed to determine their priorities and not be “rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment. Decisions are not to be centralized.
4. TETFund Intervention: Government assured that the operations of the TETFund will not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to Universities will continue, unaffected. So the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in addition to regular TETFund intervention.
5. Project Monitoring: A new Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC) for the NEEDS Assessment intervention for universities has been set up to take over from the Suswan Committee. The new one is under the Federal Ministry of Education and chaired by the Honorable Minister of Education. In addition, to build confidence and ensure faithful implementation and prevent any relapse as before, the Vice President will meet quarterly with the IMC to monitor progress.
6. Blueprint: ASUU was mandated to submit a blue print for revitalizing the Universities to the Vice President.
7. Official Agreement Document: A signed document would be issued very soon to itemize the full issues on which this present consensus outlined here, brokered by AVCNU, has been reached.
8. An Appeal to Call Off Strike: The Vice-President Sambo appealed to ASUU to call off the strike and apologized for the "take-it-or-leave-it" comments credited to the Hon Minister of Finance. All other parties present at the meetings also prevailed on the ASUU leadership to consult objectively with its members to get them to agree with what is now on the table and to call off the strike as soon as possible after the Sallah break of Tuesday/Wednesday October 15/16 2013.
9. ASUU President Responds: At both meetings, the President of ASUU thanked the VP for taking over negotiations and promised to consult with his ASUU Constituency.
We keep our fingers firmly crossed, as we await both the official consensus agreement document and full ASUU reaction. Statesmanship on all sides is called for at this point in time.

Thank you.

Prof. Mobolaji E. Aluko
Vice-Chancellor
Federal University Otuoke

*Modified*
http://www.fuotuoke.edu.ng/news/2013-10/update-on-ongoing-ASUU-negotiations
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by kennethokey(m): 4:42am On Oct 16, 2013
NO SOURCE? FIRST 2 COMMENT SHA.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by alexleo(m): 5:19am On Oct 16, 2013
If Govt had been handling this matter this way, from the onset of the strike, I don't think this strike would ve lasted this long. It was when they(FG) started playing their usual pranks that ASUU started insisting on full implementation of the 2009 agreement. Going by this, I believe the strike will soon be called off.
All those students and people who have been making noise about ASUU, can you see that ASUU is not a body that can be intimidated by anybody? Did you see FG appologising to them? Now they are signing another MOU with FG, if FG fails to implement it and they go on strike again you people will start your noise making. Take note of this historical fact to guide your noise making tendencies. .

1 Like

Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by Alexcollins(m): 6:04am On Oct 16, 2013
ASUU should just call of d strike and I'll believe all dis story.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by Gboyee4fun(m): 7:09am On Oct 16, 2013
Y cant they announce the resumption date instead of releasing news of life threatening.....all na wash to me until they resume class.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by otokx(m): 8:07am On Oct 16, 2013
This appears fair enough; lets see what the various ASUU congresses say. As for the other university unions, well its a pity - looks like you'd have to be content with the crumbs on the floor not even from the table.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 16, 2013
Time to start fucking babes again.,since i've been at home,i nor get chance.

2 Likes

Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by bionicdude(m): 8:50am On Oct 16, 2013
from what I just saw.I believe the gov has tried and it is in the hands of ASUU now.hopefully they call off the strike soon coz i'm honestly sick and tired of staying at home
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by timwezzb(m): 8:52am On Oct 16, 2013
TWO things On my Mind..."ASUU and Xmas" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by vocalprince(m): 9:00am On Oct 16, 2013
I pray its true o! Till i hear "students are urged to resume studies" i comment my reserve. And i have special award for Seun nd Mukina my love when i confirm the news!!! Thank U @ op.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by Hearme(m): 10:02am On Oct 16, 2013
It's like the market women threat is working. FG don't won't to see nude mothers protest. It will be worst this time around, because we now have a global world. Before you say stop, you tube, Facebook, nairaland, twitter and all of them done circulate the information round the world. Thank God they want to avoid embarrassment.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by amlos007(m): 10:10am On Oct 16, 2013
Well all na story just hoping this lead to the end of the strike cuz this strike don tell me to sales boy of building materials and nanny.
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by Deekaydadon(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
kennethokey: NO SOURCE? FIRST 2 COMMENT SHA.

You can now view the sauce abi na source, I've modified the post
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by jaryeh(m): 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: An Update On Ongoing ASUU Negotiations Following Two Recent Meetings With The VP by alexleo(m): 4:07pm On Oct 16, 2013
otokx: This appears fair enough; lets see what the various ASUU congresses say. As for the other university unions, well its a pity - looks like you'd have to be content with the crumbs on the floor not even from the table.

The non acedemic staff (SSANU and NASU) are still going to benefit from the 40 billion naira earned allowances. Yet they couldn't even join the NUT and electricity workers union to pressure govt to heed to ASUU's request. They only went on strike when their August and september salaries were delayed and called it off soon after it was paid. Meanwhile, the uninformed Nigerians thinks that the earned allowances is only for lecturers and has been abusing them. The 40 billion naIra earned allowances is for all staff of the university, both academic and non academic. Even the ordinary clerk and messengers will benefit.

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Holds Nec Meeting As Fg Promise Full Implement / Kadpoly Vote For Asup Strike To Continue / Auchi Poly 2014/2015 Post Utme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.