Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Creating A Mobile-friendly Website In PHP - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating A Mobile-friendly Website In PHP (705 Views)

Creating A Group Chat With Html/javascript/php/mysql For Beginners / Patience Jonathan Has A Mobile Game/app ! Thats Right / Creating A Mobile-friendly Website In PHP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Creating A Mobile-friendly Website In PHP by Nobody: 7:48pm On Oct 28, 2013
Continuation from the last class by olumide kuforiji

Solution 2 - Responsive Design

The second solution for creating a mobile-friendly website is responsive web design. As the name says, in this approach only the design is changed, i.e. CSS files. This is very good in terms of maintenance and SEO. Google recommends responsive design as the best solution when creating a mobile website. On the other hand, not being able to remove unnecessary files and scripts can have a great impact on your mobile website’s performance.
How to Create a Responsive Web Design

In responsive web design, we have different styles for different screen sizes. The screen sizes are targeted using media CSS queries, which are available in CSS3. The standard device widths for phones and tablets are the following:

/* Smartphones (portrait and landscape) ----------- */
@media only screen
and (min-device-width : 320px)
and (max-device-width : 480px) {
/* Styles */
}

/* Smartphones (landscape) ----------- */
@media only screen
and (min-width : 321px) {
/* Styles */
}

/* Smartphones (portrait) ----------- */
@media only screen
and (max-width : 320px) {
/* Styles */
}

/* iPads (portrait and landscape) ----------- */
@media only screen
and (min-device-width : 768px)
and (max-device-width : 1024px) {
/* Styles */
}

/* iPads (landscape) ----------- */
@media only screen
and (max-device-width : 1024px)
and (orientation : landscape) {
/* Styles */
}

/* iPads (portrait) ----------- */
@media only screen
and (max-device-width : 1024px)
and (orientation : portrait) {
/* Styles */
}

/* Desktops and laptops ----------- */
@media only screen
and (min-width : 1224px) {
/* Styles */
}

/* Large screens ----------- */
@media only screen
and (min-width : 1824px) {
/* Styles */
}

/* iPhone 4 ----------- */
@media
only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio : 1.5),
only screen and (min-device-pixel-ratio : 1.5) {
/* Styles */
}

You can, of course, remove some of the queries, depending on your needs. After deciding which sizes you will customize, you need to decide how the mobile device design should look, i.e. which elements will be removed and which ones will be resized. Then create CSS styles and apply them for each mobile view. Add the following meta tag in the head of your HTML code:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1" />

Keep in mind that the following meta tag may sometimes cause problems with iPad, so if the design doesn't look good on an iPad, just remove this tag.
Conclusion

Creating a separate mobile website and responsive design are two approaches in creating a mobile-friendly website. There is no right or wrong approach. Use the one that best suits your needs.

Conclusion: “I never perfected an invention that I did not think about in terms of the service it might give others... I find out what the world needs, then I proceed to invent...”
~Thomas Edison
Dont stay Small

(1) (Reply)

Dev Center:a Community For Nigerian Designers/developers To Discover Each Other / An Online Python Practice Book For Beginners / Changing Of Password In Oracle 10g SQL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.