Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes (1859 Views)

What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital / My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today / A Doctor's "Secret" Health Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 11:32pm On Jul 10, 2008

Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:15am On Jul 11, 2008
/
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:59am On Jul 11, 2008
m
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 5:21am On Jul 11, 2008
b
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 2:38am On Jul 12, 2008
Tumour of Fat Origin - A Lipoma. . .   Tuberculous Neck Swelling. . .   Anatomical Provocativeness. . .  Al Capone.

April 13th

I'
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 6:39am On Jul 14, 2008
Ordinary Day Today

April 17th

T
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 8:53am On Jul 15, 2008
[color=#000099][size=12pt]C
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 4:54am On Jul 16, 2008
[color=#006600][size=12pt]W
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 8:05am On Jul 17, 2008
[color=#006600][size=12pt]Pr
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by kathyekiti: 3:54am On Jul 18, 2008
A pt with PIH released the same day?!!!! I am flabberwhelmed and overgasted. Do they really do that? In America, if anything happens to her, she would own your hospital!!
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 7:09am On Jul 18, 2008
kathyekiti:

A pt with PIH released the same day?!!!! I am flabberwhelmed and overgasted. Do they really do that? In America, if anything happens to her, she would own your hospital!!

@kathyekiti

What can I say? My lips, for now, are sealed. . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

More comments are welcome.

The archived entries continue below . . . .
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 7:44am On Jul 18, 2008
[color=#000099][size=12pt]H
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Kongi(m): 9:03am On Jul 19, 2008
@kathyekiti
I guess the lady can leave if she so chooses.
In Naija, I doubt if you can hold someone against their will even if she is of unsound mind.
I am guessing they did not refuse treatment.
Or blogger, are we mistaken?
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by kathyekiti: 10:25pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ Kongi

She was leaving because she was told to pay more money. Her condition is a medical emergency. This was not an issue of a difficult patient who just wanted to leave.
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 11:41pm On Jul 19, 2008
Kongi:

@kathyekiti
I guess the lady can leave if she so chooses.
In Naija, I doubt if you can hold someone against their will even if she is of unsound mind.
I am guessing they did not refuse treatment.
Or blogger, are we mistaken?

@Kongi, no you are not exactly mistaken in the exact sense of your statement. However you are not exactly correct too. We did refuse to treat the patient unconditionally. We were willing to treat, yes, but only on the condition that she paid us cash.

@kathyekiti's observations were accurate, including the fact that Pregnancy Induced Hypertention(P.I.H.) is a medical emergency.

Interwoven situation. Very much controversial.
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:46am On Jul 22, 2008
A Mid-Wife's Very Own First Child Birth

April 26th

F
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 4:03am On Jul 23, 2008
Out-Patients Cinic. .   No Circumcision

April 28th

I
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 1:26am On Jul 30, 2008
H.I.V. Status Discrimination . .   Bad Obstetric History . .   Elective Caesarean Section

April 29th

A
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by kathyekiti: 4:42am On Jul 30, 2008
Whenever I come to Nigeria, I would love to volunteer to work at your hospital. I am amazed. Unknowing HIV tests? Unbelievable. However, I am jealous of the diversity in your cases. Do you repair the uterus in one or two layers? Do you do pfannestiel incisions?
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 11:25pm On Jul 30, 2008
@kathyekiti

I feel flattered by your words smiley

Your desire to visit us, is it born of the need to ply us towards the right path concerning international best practice?

If this is the case, I for one would welcome you with open arms. We would both then need to take in deep breaths. . .

My favourite and mostly used incision is the pfannenstiel. However, a lower mid-line is sometimes used by us for specific, particular cases.

We repair the uterus in two layers. Interesting that you ask though, because recently, our former Consultant Obstetrician started leaving the repair at just one layer. I was assisting that first time he did this so I inquired. He said these days one layer can suffice so long as it is deemed that this adequately has maintained good apposition and haemostasis.
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:02am On Jul 31, 2008
Re: H.I.V. Discrimination . .   Circumcision

April 30th

M
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by kathyekiti: 8:53pm On Aug 02, 2008
Krrush
I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention and I hope you believe me. I only want to see how your approach to ob might be different from mine. Your colleague is right and wrong. Another study has recently reversed the thinking that one layer is equivalent in patients who want to VBAC (vaginal birth after c/section) The thing is many hospitals here in America are reverting to a " once a c/sec, always a c/sec" philosophy due to liability issues. So the one layer trend continues. Which situations due you use vertical?
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:32am On Aug 03, 2008
@kathyekiti

I'm suprised you thought that I may have taken offence. I didn't feel this way the least bit. Not at all.

Matter of fact I think you managed to win my admiration in the way you mildly, humorously, registered your surprise at our abusive ways where individuals' consent for HIV screening is concerned. I who had been cringing and expecting a justifiable lambastment.

We have done a vertical incision, when due to a huge fibroid occupying the lower uterine segment, a [i]classical [/i]incision was planned on the uterus, hence the vertical skin incision made electively.

Also used a vertical for the obvious reason that same skin incision had previously been used for a past surgery such as a Myomectomy. We go through the same scar as it were, and this agrees well with the possibility of encountering extensive adhesions for which the pfannentiel approach may prove not too roomy.
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by kathyekiti: 8:34pm On Aug 03, 2008
Kudos. A lot of obs in America are not exposed to vertical skin incision so end up making what I call "christians" of their patients i.e. doing a pfannestiel in the presence of a preexisting vertical scar. However, I have also seen a few Naija docs who insist on verticals. Doesn't make any sense to mesmiley As for the hiv tests, I have a few family members who are still in Nigeria and are practicing physicians. After I heard of delayed c/sections in the presence of fetal distress pending payment of fees, I realized it is impossible to take the behavior out of the location and be fair.
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 1:35am On Aug 04, 2008
kathyekiti:

Kudos. A lot of obs in America are not exposed to vertical skin incision so end up making what I call "christians" of their patients i.e. doing a pfannestiel in the presence of a preexisting vertical scar. However, I have also seen a few Naija docs who insist on verticals. Doesn't make any sense to mesmiley As for the hiv tests, I have a few family members who are still in Nigeria and are practicing physicians. After I heard of delayed c/sections in the presence of fetal distress pending payment of fees, I realized it is impossible to take the behavior out of the location and be fair.

Hmm. . . .

I think Healthcare Policy at the government levels as well as the general lack of civility in Nigeria, are to blame.

Doctors are meant to be civil and part of the highly educated in society, and so with this view in mind, they share the blame for "tolerating" the awful situation, in a sense. The matter is never mentioned really. Just like many other uncivil health issues that go on that we are now numb to, such as sanitary issues in our biggest cities, etc. . .

The patients just get sucked-in and many times hit by unexpected emergency expenditure.

In a civil society, a persons life should not hang in the balance merely based on not being able to raise sizeable sums at moments notice.

The case is worse when good samaritans rush in an unconscious person, say an RTA hit-and-run case, to a private hospital. Most would simply send such a case away to the nearest government hospital, precious seconds ticking away. I know that private hospitals are what they are - Private, hence cash-based. But the consciences of private hospital doctors in civil societies abroad are intact because they are part and parcel of policy that have provided para-medics, ambulances, police patrol and the like, that would aid the critically injured to nearby designated public hospitals at moments notice, many times already being life-supported (by the para-medics) before arrival.

No para-medical services in Nigeria - A gagantuan shame to every doctor in Nigeria who proclaims to be, by virtue of the profession, pro-life.

Me, I'm practically a zombie many times on the job sad

PS @kathyekiti, I'd like to request something of you, I think. Could you mail me so i'd get your addy? Mine's[i] . . . at yahoo dot com[/i]

Just say kathyekiti, then I'll mail my request to you.
Thanks
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by ikamefa(f): 2:43am On Aug 04, 2008

* subscribing *

interesting thread! cheesy

most touching story the lost twin baby ! cry
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 5:06am On Aug 04, 2008
ikamefa:

* subscribing *

interesting thread! cheesy

most touching story the lost twin baby ! cry

I'm encouraged by this post. Thanks.

That lost twin yet unborn. Was sad, yes.

Will post-on tomorrow. Promise.

. . .
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:22am On Aug 05, 2008
Today On The Out-Patient Clinic Consultations

May 2nd

Today on the campaign trail . . . . .Oops!

Don't mind me. It is not as if I follow Barrack Obama everywhere he goes campaigning. I follow his campaign on the web most nights, though. I like the guy.

Today on my out-patient clinic consultations. . . . . Patients take turns coming in. They sit down as I begin to decipher what manner of ailment they have, quite often a daunting task for lack of adequate communication skills on their part. Eventually they leave me when they are done with me, only for the next patient to resume the challenge.

I wish sometimes I was on [i]any [/i]presidential campaign trail, for want of a little excitement on the job.
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by ikamefa(f): 4:04am On Aug 05, 2008
@ topic what is your area of specialization?

ob - gyn? or a general practitioner
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:11am On Aug 06, 2008
ikamefa:

@ topic what is your area of specialization?

ob - gyn? or a general practitioner
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 12:42am On Aug 14, 2008
Tetanus At Deadly Stage. . .    And A Nurse Is Happy
[b]
M
Re: A Doctor's "S e c r e t" Notes by Krrush(m): 10:58pm On Aug 15, 2008
Death In Advanced Tetanus . .   Intra-Uterine Foetal Death . .    Emergency Caesarean Section

[b]M

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can't Sleep Without The Humming Sound Of A Generator / Doctors Pls Help To Explain This / Mcdonald’s Burgers “unfit For Human Consumption"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.