Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,154 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Are Airbags Replaceable? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Are Airbags Replaceable? (2034 Views)

2001 VW Bug Goin For 475k Auto,ac,leather Seats with 4 airbags / 2001/02 Toks Passat With 8 Airbags Going For 595k(full Options)ac,auto,leather / 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, ( Leather, Navigation, 8 Airbags 1.8m Only ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Airbags Replaceable? by Raimond(m): 11:57am On Jul 14, 2008
Hi guys,

I acquired a 1998 Mitsubishi Carisma GDI, for my parents in 2006.The car was was in the best of conditions,with factory A/C, 4 airbags and every other things that make for comfort. My kid brother crashed the car in April.The damage did not affect the engine in anywhere, but the fender on the left side, the side mirror on the left side, and the front tyre, on that side too, got affected.The Airbags deployed: the ones on the driver and the passenger`s side.

Now the guy that gave me the quote for repairs has given me assurance that he can replace the airbags.I need to find out from this forum if that is possible, before i make further financial commitments, since i have already given him money for the other repairs and he is almost done with that.

I just want to find out if it is possible to replace airbags after an incident.

Please help me out!!

Re: Are Airbags Replaceable? by yrunvus: 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2008
yes, it very possible, as long as he gets the right replacement items and he knows what he is doing
If he installs them incorrectly(ie. not connecting the airbags to the sensors) your airbag light on the dash might remain on after the repairs
Re: Are Airbags Replaceable? by Raimond(m): 5:17pm On Jul 14, 2008
@yrunvus

Thanks a lot for the tip, i`ll pass the message to him and i`ll find a way of asking him questions along the line of your reply.
Re: Are Airbags Replaceable? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 14, 2008
Yes, easily replaced.

However, they may require activation / coding, so the SRS ECU recognises them.
Re: Are Airbags Replaceable? by Raimond(m): 10:55am On Jul 15, 2008
Siena:

Yes, easily replaced.

Thanks a lot Siena!!
Re: Are Airbags Replaceable? by fotodaddy: 10:58am On Jul 17, 2008
Siena:

Yes, easily replaced.

Not easy at all with a VW, Seat, Skoda or Audi!!!

With these, everytime there is an incident, you are required to change the affected airbag, relevent sensors and the Airbag controller (sets you back quite a bit). You cannot even buy these items from them and the installatio0n MUST be carried out by their authorized dealer.

The thinking is that these systems must maintain 100% integrity. (imagine an airbag that fails to deploy when itis needed. You wont be there to tell the story!!! )

(1) (Reply)

2006 Volkswagen Golf Gti ( Inspired Toy ) / Looking For A Tire Balance/wheel Alignment Shop In Abuja / Breaking News ! Auto-drive Mazda 626 Price:n420k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.