Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You (2974 Views)

Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. / How to embed video in smf / Mobile Site Bot: Create Mobile Websites The Easy Way. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 4:14pm On Dec 10, 2013
For all those who have a connection to websites-designers, developers, owners and marketers, it has become crucial to optimize their websites for mobile users. This is because of the amount of users that access websites through mobile devices.
There are two ways to optimize your websites for mobile devices
1. Implement Responsive Design
2. Create a mobile version of your site
In the posts below, we’ll treat some pros and cons of each option and give examples in which each option will be suitable. The terms used here are not technical, everyone can understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 4:17pm On Dec 10, 2013
[size=14pt]Responsive Design[/size]
This is the designing of a web page to change in width in response to a change in screen size with all the contents remaining the same. For example a page that fills up a 980 pixel desktop screen will automatically fill a smart phone 480 pixel wide with all the contents kept intact.

Pros of Responsive Design
One Site Only: The major advantage of responsive websites is that you get to create one site only. Since the pages on the site will automatically ‘adjust’ to every screen size, there is no need for a mobile version of the site. In the long run, maintenance costs and hosting fees are reduced leading to a higher ROI
Rich Content for Mobile Users: The same content that is offered to desktop use4rs is the same that mobile users get. Hence, the mobile users get to enjoy all the text, colors, images and graphic on the page.

Cons of Responsive Design
Slow load time: Responsive pages contain many CSS rules which will increase the page size. In addition, all the images, text and JavaScript codes intended for desktop users, will also be delivered to mobile users. All these will make the page load slowly.
High Capital: Web designers and developers can attest to the fact that it takes time to design the layout of responsive pages and more time to implement its codes. All these call for math skills, creativity, lots of patience and an increase in the price tag.
Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 4:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
Conclusion on Responsive Design
Responsive design should be implemented on websites with little images. Features such as drop-down menus, rollovers, e.t.c should be avoided as they are not used by mobile users and will only slow the page loading.

Responsive design is
GOOD FOR: Simple websites that do not require interaction
Landing pages and about pages for organizations
BAD FOR: Image based sites e.g. online galleries
Interactive sites e.g. E-commerce sites

1 Like

Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 4:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
[size=14pt]Mobile Sites[/size]
A mobile site is another version of an existing website that is designed for mobile phones only. A mobile site usually has fewer features than a full site and has a “m.” or “mobile.” prefix. Good examples include Facebook(m.facebook.com) and Twitter (mobile.twitter.com).

Pros of Mobile Sites
Easy to Navigate: Because they are intended for mobile devices, the pages are the exact width of devices. This rules out horizontal scrolling. Main navigation bars are also placed vertically.
Quick Loading: pages on mobile sites contain less text, images and codes which make them load quickly. This is vital considering the slow speed of mobile devices.

Cons of Mobile Sites
Less Content, Less Appealing: Mobile pages contain less text and images than the desktop version. To achieve fast loading, the beauty of a page has to be sacrificed.
The Issue of Double Content: If a mobile site is not created properly, the links may not be equalized. This may lead to double content- a case where search engines do not recognize the mobile site has a mobile version of its desktop counterpart and think the mobile site is a spam site. The penalty is that the site will be deleted from search results. Bad Market!

1 Like

Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 4:22pm On Dec 10, 2013
Conclusion on Mobile Sites
Create a mobile version of your site if you cannot afford to sacrifice load time. Use it if your original site contains much interactive features.

Mobile sites are
GOOD FOR: Interactive site like e-commerce sites or social networks
BAD FOR: You if you’re avoiding maintenance costs

1 Like

Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 12, 2014
Nice write up
Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 9:15am On Nov 13, 2014
Khaynet:
Nice write up
Thank you! Glad that you appreciate it.
Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by romme2u: 1:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
very insightful post. you sound very experienced. currently working on a site with lots of images, animations and drop down menu, and i am thinking of using responsive layout to cater for differences in screen size of desktops only (between 650px and 1200px). hoping to create a mobile version later (i.e if client request for it). what do you think?
Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by iyenimofe(m): 7:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
romme2u:
very insightful post. you sound very experienced. currently working on a site with lots of images, animations and drop down menu, and i am thinking of using responsive layout to cater for differences in screen size of desktops only (between 650px and 1200px). hoping to create a mobile version later (i.e if client request for it). what do you think?
Okay... Since you're designing for desktop screens only, and want the site to respond just to desktop differences, you could go responsive.
However, are you sure that the amount of mobile users are negligible? Even if you'll create a mobile version later, those that visit the site now will be served terribly.
So it all depends on the your target audience and the predominant computing device.
If 90% visit the site with a desktop (on a fast internet connection), you have no problem.
If not, just try to create a mobile version simultaneously as UX is very important.
My two cents...

3 Likes

Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by urchmanx(m): 6:01pm On Oct 18, 2017
Can you inbox me your number ASAP
Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by eagle22(f): 2:10am On May 22, 2018
Hello, ChrisXFT 6needs this: I Need Waec Offices In Asaba, Benin And Yaba,lagos Functional Numbers .Can youYsupplyzit?
3Visit2the linkKbelow.
ajre3O lordguru1 l4zzBN alphacyborg IGkNwR iyenimofe G0gm4t obierika PnaQUx jaksmillioniar 52qFQ7 politicalchinex NLGvUf kollistic aQUkbi edopesin FQdS3J just15

Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by DivinelyBlessed: 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good day Iyenimofe

I hope this message meets you well.

My name is DivinelyBlessed.

I have a premium domain name related to health. It's called www.LagosDoctors.com.

Keywords: Lagos, Doctors

It's 9 years and 3 months old. It's targeted at Lagosians who needs a doctor.

I don't have much experience in creating a standard website at all. However, I believe with your superior web designing skills, you can develop this premium domain name into a popular website.

After development, it can be sold at a high price to hospitals or health practitioners. i.e Atleast #150,000 or more

You may also develop this domain name and generate income through Affiliate marketing and Google Adsense.

I don't know how to build a website otherwise I would have used it myself. Hence, I want to transfer it to you.

Awaiting your response.
Re: Responsive Design Or Mobile Site- How To Choose The One That Suits You by neyoamos: 6:54am On Jan 06, 2019
Plz give me your number

(1) (Reply)

Re-design Your Website/blog To Generate More Leads / Get A .com Domain Name For Just N1000 / Get Free S.S.L Certificate On Any of Our Plan With Beta Host Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.