Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America (14842 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America / 31 Migrants Drowned Off Libyan Coast, Nigerians Among Survivors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by smilingjee(m): 11:27am On Jan 07, 2014
Writer Amy Chau, who gained notoriety 2 years ago as 'Tiger Mum' after publishing her controversial book 'Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" where she claimed that Chinese mums make the best parents and ultimately have more successful children, is back in the news.

Chau and her husband, Jed Rubenfeld, just released a controversial (and some say racist) parenting guide called 'The Triple Package', where they declared there to be only eight successful and superior groups of people in the US.

They eight are: Chinese, Jewish, Indian, Iranian, Lebanese-Americans, Nigerians, Cuban exiles and Mormons
'That certain groups do much better in America than others, as measured by income, occupational status, test scores and so on, is difficult to talk about,' Amy and Jed write.
The couple identify three distinguishing features these eight peoples have that guarantees them success over others; superiority, insecurity and impulse control.

Amy Chau, 51, breaks down the 'Triple Package' for her readers as follows:

1) A superiority complex: Chau believes that any cultural group who innately thinks they are just better than others has an advantage.
Ignoring the wars, genocide and abject human misery this kind of thinking has caused, Chau and her husband declare that 'the superiority complex is antithetical to mainstream liberal thinking...the stuff of racism , colonialism, imperialism, Nazism.'

2) Insecurity: Chau and her husband believe that a deep seated insecurity can be a motivating drive to achieving success.
'That insecurity should be a critical lever of success is another anathema, flouting the entire orthodoxy of contemporary popular and therapeutic psychology,' they write according to the New York Post.
'Note that there’s a deep tension between insecurity and a superiority complex,' the authors continue.
'It’s odd to think of people being simultaneously insecure but also convinced of their divine election or superiority.'

3) Impulse Control: Chau thinks that perseverance and patience are virtues that have been lost to most Americans - but still exist among her eight golden cultural groups.
'Impulse control refers to the ability to resist temptation, especially the temptation to give up in the face of hardship or quit instead of persevering at a difficult task.'

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigerians-among-top-8-races-that-excel-in-america/168425/
Do we see this as an innate strength?

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by fijiano202(m): 11:44am On Jan 07, 2014
I donk know abt other group but those 3 things are real abt Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by anochuks08(m): 10:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
K oo

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:56pm On Jan 10, 2014
Glory be to God.
Nigeria, good people, great nation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by theripper3: 10:58pm On Jan 10, 2014
Being Mormon is now a race?

I never knew.

What of African-Americans? bottom of the totem pole I guess.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 10, 2014
anochuks08: K oo
this one na comment?.. I go just squeeze dat ur big head

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 10, 2014
Before nko?
Next!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Pstsmith(m): 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
whrz APC?
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Sike(m): 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
All na wash. Trust me!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Olamyyde(m): 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
Dafuq! Is nigeria a race?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
I have read this book and the previous book the author wrote. It is a thing of pride to know that Nigerians excel in every endeavor all over the world not just the United States. That said, while I agree with the cultural aspects the author pointed out, I make bold to say that those factors only contributed probably about 50% of what makes Nigerians successful.

Nigerians that come to the United States are self-selected. They are often times among the best and the most resilient Nigerians. They had to take exams, win scholarships, verify their transcripts, get great GPAs from their Nigerian Universities to make it to the US, and even then, had to go through a visa interview that even further accesses their potential to succeed in the US etc. They are those that naturally seek for excellence and since their inept government created an environment were this excellence remains herculean at best to achieve, they go on to seek it in other climes where talents and potentials can be explored and developed. These Nigerians ultimately excel and become successful in the United States. This to me is what make Nigerians successful.

My dream is to have a Nigeria where these talents can find a space to come back to Nigeria to build our country from the ruins of the GEJ and other previous administrations. We have a chance, We have APC! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Zumarocket(f): 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WERE THIS IS HEADING.....

i dnt gerrit
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
Yes this had happened before Jonathan became governor and President.
So tell me another thing jare...
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 10, 2014
There's actually no place in d world that nigerians can't succeed...#proudlynigerian

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Fhemmmy: 11:01pm On Jan 10, 2014
Nigerians will make it, no matter where

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by kolardzy(m): 11:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
THREADS ON FP SEF..
Sorry to say this but

How does it Affect the price of Garri??
* long hiss*
tongue grin
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2014
This space has been booked by the......

Owner
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Ideyontop: 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2014
Up Nigeria!!!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by freda506(f): 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2014
Nice!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by RaptorX: 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2014
Rubbish, if Nigerians are so smart why cant we build and develop our own country, enough of using another mans land for bragging rights when they have done all the heavy lifting. Any nationality can make it in America but whats the condition of your home country to me thats the crux of the matter.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by InvertedHammer: 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2014
smilingjee: Writer Amy Chau, who gained notoriety 2 years ago as 'Tiger Mum' after publishing her controversial book 'Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" where she claimed that Chinese mums make the best parents and ultimately have more successful children, is back in the news.

Chau and her husband, Jed Rubenfeld, just released a controversial (and some say racist) parenting guide called 'The Triple Package', where they declared there to be only eight successful and superior groups of people in the US.

They eight are: Chinese, Jewish, Indian, Iranian, Lebanese-Americans, Nigerians, Cuban exiles and Mormons

Amy Chau, 51, breaks down the 'Triple Package' for her readers as follows:

/

Halleluia!!!

Some obscure human being somewhere and her controversial husband had tried to pass off their observations/opinions
as an academic work.

Congrats Nigeria.

Btw, how in the world did Mormon get on that list?

\

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by chadef: 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2014
Every nigerian has the instinct to survive, no mata how harsh the environment, so the chamelionize just to survive even wen it involves taking the greatest risk becos the believe in themselves.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by TheBookWorm: 11:11pm On Jan 10, 2014
cramjones: I have read this book and the previous book the author wrote.

How could you have read this book, when the book will not be published until February 4, 2014?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Krasid(m): 11:11pm On Jan 10, 2014
Great news for Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by sailormoon: 11:11pm On Jan 10, 2014
I'm not surprised, still a failed state though lol

Nigeria isn't a race btw

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2014
That's Good. Great Nigeria Great People. We Are Not Terrorist
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by TheBookWorm: 11:14pm On Jan 10, 2014
This is not the first time, this author has written about Nigeria.

In her previous book, World on Fire: How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability, she wrote about the Igbos.

"Market-dominant minorities can be found in every corner of the world. The Chinese are a market-dominant minority not just in the Philippines but throughout Southeast Asia. In 1998, Chinese Indonesians, only 3 percent of the population, controlled roughly 70 percent of Indonesia's private economy, including all of the country's largest conglomerates. More recently, in Burma, entrepreneurial Chinese have literally taken over the economies of Mandalay and Rangoon. Whites are a market-dominant minority in South Africa - and, in a more complicated sense, in Brazil, Ecuador, Guatemala, and much of Latin America. Lebanese are a market-dominant minority in West Africa. Ibo are a market-dominant minority in Nigeria. Croats were a market-dominant minority in the former Yugoslavia. And Jews are almost certainly a market-dominant minority in post-Communist Russia."
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by fr3do(m): 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
First of all,Nigeria is not a race
Secondly,why is this on the frontpage of Africa's largest indegenous online forum.
It is no news!
Some upcoming commercial writer who thrives on controversial bigoted publications commends Nigeria.
It is na news!
So the opinion of any foreigner who writes about Nigeria now counts?
Words cant describe my irritation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by spikesC(m): 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
cramjones: I have read this book and the previous book the author wrote. It is a thing of pride to know that Nigerians excel in every endeavor all over the world not just the United States. That said, while I agree with the cultural aspects the author pointed out, I make bold to say that those factors only contributed probably about 50% of what makes Nigerians successful.

Nigerians that come to the United States are self-selected. They are often times among the best and the most resilient Nigerians. They had to take exams, win scholarships, verify their transcripts, get great GPAs from their Nigerian Universities to make it to the US, and even then, had to go through a visa interview that even further accesses their potential to succeed in the US etc. They are those that naturally seek for excellence and since their inept government created an environment were this excellence remains herculean at best to achieve, they go on to seek it in other climes where talents and potentials can be explored and developed. These Nigerians ultimately excel and become successful in the United States. This to me is what make Nigerians successful.

My dream is to have a Nigeria where these talents can find a space to come back to Nigeria to build our country from the ruins of the GEJ and other previous administrations. We have a chance, We have APC! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

This just ruined everything. Political bigot!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by manny4life(m): 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
the_ripper3: Being Mormon is now a race?

I never knew.

What of African-Americans? bottom of the totem pole I guess.

You beat me to it
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by jessetom(m): 11:16pm On Jan 10, 2014
na wa ooo........... sm1 jst farted....eeeeeeeeewwwwwwhhhhhhh........ well tank God i made front page....so happy#dancin skelewu#
so wana use dis medium 2 tnk ma dad 4 forcin me 2 sch even though i didnt wanna...hence i was able 2 discover nairaland....
my mom 4 takin care of me so dat i wnt b a tout.....
n mostly my lil bro emuesisi 4 borrowin me his iphone5s so i can browse wit his bis.........
oh am so so happy.....#tears#.....
n i also tank ma oga @d top SEGUN...for putin up nairaland......
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 10, 2014
A typical deluded nature of Nigerians; praising a known bigot just because she included Nigeria as one of the successful groups in the United States in her latest write-up. I'm sure that most Nigerians will rally behind that idiot that claim that black women are least attractive than other, if he comes out again and list Nigerian men to be one of the endowed embarassed.

Dumb asses!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos, Port-harcourt Airports Ranked Among World’s Worst [see List] / My Experiences In A Uk Immigration Detention Camp / 13 Injured In Lagos-Ibadan Highway Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.