Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Wireless Network - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Wireless Network (6002 Views)

Mikrotik Wireless Acess Points For Wireless Network Installations / MS Windows Server 2003 And 2008 Configuration, Wired And Wireless Network/pabx / My Next Door Has A Wireless Network But Protected With A Wep Key (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wireless Network by adewasco2k(m): 10:15am On Aug 20, 2008
pls i have a laptop with wireless facilities, and also a hot spot around
my area. but they charge me alot i want i way to hack their network so
i could browse free. any hint?
Re: Wireless Network by adventure(m): 1:15pm On Aug 20, 2008
MY DELL D610 ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS NETWORK AND WIFI FACILITY BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE IT, SET IT UP OR MANAGE IT, SOME ONE HELP
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:25pm On Aug 20, 2008
adewasco2k:

please i have a laptop with wireless facilities, and also a hot spot around
my area. but they charge me alot i want i way to hack their network so
i could browse free. any hint?

Depends on the kind of router your ISP uses. Most routers are configured so that they can only give access to approved MAC addresses, that way, there is no way you will be able to have access to the network talkless of hacking it, unless of course you have an idea about an approved MAC address of a laptop, then you change your MAC address to that. Then you have unlimited access to the network.

Another way is camouflaging a web page on the network, so that if an approved laptop wants to browse, the web page will ask for the password of the network, and the web page will direct the password information to you.

All the best.
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:27pm On Aug 20, 2008
adventure:

MY DELL D610 ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS NETWORK AND WIFI FACILITY BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE IT, SET IT UP OR MANAGE IT, SOME ONE HELP

go to help on your computer, type in configuring wireless network. it will show you step by step of setting it up. be sure to be in a hot spot if you want to see it work and have the passkey to the network if its not unsecured
Re: Wireless Network by candylips(m): 1:41pm On Aug 20, 2008
You need to check to see if the wireless network u are talking about is security enabled or not.

If not you are in luck. you can just click on the network and you should be connected.

If it is WEP -security enabled this can be cracked if WPA sorry dude u are out of luck
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:52pm On Aug 20, 2008
candylips:

You need to check to see if the wireless network u are talking about is security enabled or not.

If not you are in luck. you can just click on the network and you should be connected.

If it is WEP -security enabled this can be cracked if WPA sorry dude u are out of luck

very wrong !

for a WPA enabled network, all you need to do is capture a full authentication handshake from a real client and the AP, bingo !
Re: Wireless Network by nuttyproff(m): 9:58pm On Aug 20, 2008
sayhi2ay:

very wrong !

for a WPA enabled network, all you need to do is capture a full authentication handshake from a real client and the AP, bingo !
@sayhi2ay and co.
I'm sure u guys are speakin english, but for the average dude, that is just so much gibberish, i mean if the guy knew even half of what u assume he knows he wont be shoutin for helo here wuld he, besides am interested also, so pls spk english
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 12:05am On Aug 21, 2008
nuttyproff:

@sayhi2ay and co.
I'm sure u guys are speakin english, but for the average dude, that is just so much gibberish, i mean if the guy knew even half of what u assume he knows he wont be shoutin for helo here wuld he, besides am interested also, so please spk english

for you to want to hack into a network, you must have an understanding of what networking is all about and how protocols work. Without these knowledge, using the cracking software will be a bit difficult.

because these tools sniff out packets(not the actual data), its left for you to figure the information you need, IVs, pass-keys, bla bla bla .

If we begin a tutorial on it , this website wont be enough.

with a very good tool, you can hack WEP enabled network in 3 minutes. and for WPA , just sniff the authentication handshake (password authentication) and do the rest of the hacking in your bedroom.
Re: Wireless Network by paribus(m): 12:07am On Aug 21, 2008
sayhi2ay:

very wrong !

If I may ask - how does capturing a full authentication handshake from a real client and the AP gives you access to WPA keys. Have you stopped to consider that the WLAN admin might be using WEP key that are over 20 characters long including non different case and non-standard characters? Brute forcing on this would take years millions of years to crack even with extreme processing power.

Not saying WEP is impossible to crack but there are more variables to consider and usually not as easy as you've made it look. Really depends on how it's been configured. Regards
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 12:20am On Aug 21, 2008
paribus:

If I may ask - how does capturing a full authentication handshake from a real client and the AP gives you access to WPA keys. Have you stopped to consider that the WLAN admin might be using WEP key that are over 20 characters long including non different case and non-standard characters? Brute forcing on this would take years millions of years to crack even with extreme processing power.

Not saying WEP is impossible to crack but there are more variables to consider and usually not as easy as you've made it look. Really depends on how it's been configured. Regards

are you talking about WEP or WAP ?

The FBI demonstrated a WEP crack at a conference (summer of 2005) that took only 3 minutes using freeware cracking tools.

for WAP , your theory is true, but because each laptop has to be aware of the password, most administrator use simple passwords out of ignorance which makes cracking it more easy than WEP . But if it is 20 xters long like you said, and not "words", then it might take sometime to crack.
but if you capture enough packets, say hundreds of thousands, maybe you could still sniff it out,
Re: Wireless Network by samir101ng(m): 1:05am On Aug 21, 2008
Wow, have been a waiting a long time for this kind of thread. Ok down to business.

1. Cracking a WEP encrypted network is so easy i can do it falling asleep. There are two levels of encryption for a WEP encrypted network 64bit and 128bit encryption. To crack a 64bit wep key you need a minimum of 250,000 ivs while for a 128bit key you need over 1million ivs. However, the most important thing is your wireless card must support both monitor mode and injection. Linux is the best OS to use for hacking a wireless network. period.

2. Cracking a WPA, WPA2-TKIP or AES network also is easy but a little bit trickier. All you need to do is disassociate an already connected computer on the network and as it reconnects, the password is grabbed. However, the password is encrypted (the advancement over wep) and so you need to bruteforce the password using a dictionary. Most naija passwords are simple and easy to crack.

3. However, there are certain networks whereby they will prompt you to use a username and password once you open IE or mozilla using softwares like mikrotic or antamedia hotspot manager. This is where a sniffer program comes into play. A sniffer is a program that sits on the network sniffing out peoples messages and passwords. All you need is patience, and the software will grab a password for you.

4. For those networks that use mac filtering, get a mac changing program like TMAC which will change the mac address of your network card to whatever you want. You can then enter the network disguised as an already authenticated system.

There is more but am getting tired and hungry. So stay tuned.
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:13am On Aug 21, 2008
samir101ng:

Wow, have been a waiting a long time for this kind of thread. Ok down to business.

1. Cracking a WEP encrypted network is so easy i can do it falling asleep. There are two levels of encryption for a WEP encrypted network 64bit and 128bit encryption. To crack a 64bit wep key you need a minimum of 250,000 ivs while for a 128bit key you need over 1million ivs. However, the most important thing is your wireless card must support both monitor mode and injection. Linux is the best OS to use for hacking a wireless network. period.

2. Cracking a WPA, WPA2-TKIP or AES network also is easy but a little bit trickier. All you need to do is disassociate an already connected computer on the network and as it reconnects, the password is grabbed. However, the password is encrypted (the advancement over wep) and so you need to bruteforce the password using a dictionary. Most naija passwords are simple and easy to crack.

3. However, there are certain networks whereby they will prompt you to use a username and password once you open IE or mozilla using softwares like mikrotic or antamedia hotspot manager. This is where a sniffer program comes into play. A sniffer is a program that sits on the network sniffing out peoples messages and passwords. All you need is patience, and the software will grab a password for you.

4. For those networks that use mac filtering, get a mac changing program like TMAC which will change the mac address of your network card to whatever you want. You can then enter the network disguised as an already authenticated system.

There is more but am getting tired and hungry. So stay tuned.

How about WPA2 sir ? grin
Re: Wireless Network by samir101ng(m): 1:29am On Aug 21, 2008
Check 2. It includes WPA and WPA2. With either TKIP,AES or PSK sub-encryption.
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:31am On Aug 21, 2008
WPA2 is impossible bro, thats used by the military.
Re: Wireless Network by samir101ng(m): 1:36am On Aug 21, 2008
If its used by the military, chances are then that its less likely to be used by normal hotspot admins. All the more making it easier for you. But hell, 80% of the networks i come across while wardriving in lagos or abuja are mainly WEP encrypted networks. Naija is still behind on technology which to guys like us is a blessing in disguise. Peace brother.
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:38am On Aug 21, 2008
dont get me wrong bro, other people use it too, i meant the technology is also deployed by the military,

it enforces key greater than 22 xters.
Re: Wireless Network by samir101ng(m): 1:45am On Aug 21, 2008
A good dictionary will solve that problem. I have a 16GB precomputed dictionary that cracks keys for me in seconds. Having a core 2 duo processor with 2GB ram also helps speed things up. However, i sometimes salt the esssid of the network am cracking together with the dictionary to help increase the cracking method. However, the most important thing is that most hotspot admins here in naija dont put long characters in their routers as a way of really protecting the network because most are either bone lazy or not technically savy enough.
Re: Wireless Network by xheggs(m): 1:46am On Aug 21, 2008
@sayhi
im not saying ur not correct.
but nothing is impossible
Re: Wireless Network by kiwi992(m): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2008
Guys,

Hacking is illegal, so is war-driving.  You WILL get locked up for it, if caught.  Examples abound over here in the UK.  Please don't do it - it's not worth the risk. 

My advice to the original poster would be to:

a).  find out if your mobile phone service provider sells a wireless dongle.  Most of them sell it over here.

b).  if they do, buy it and connect it to the USB socket of your PC or laptop and off you go.

c).  failing that, find other legit ways of connecting but please steer well-clear of hacking.

kiwi992.
Re: Wireless Network by Bigpiper(m): 1:53pm On Aug 21, 2008
what are u guys saying. Instead of giving the brother a software than will give him access to an available network, u are here debating on WEP, WPA, WPA2 and all the other BS. comon, hook him up with a software.
Re: Wireless Network by sayhi2ay(m): 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2008
the tools are free to download, its not about that, its about knowing the information to look for when the software hack into the network. like i said, the are not processed data.
Re: Wireless Network by samir101ng(m): 2:50pm On Aug 21, 2008
kiwi992:

Guys,

Hacking is illegal, so is war-driving.  You WILL get locked up for it, if caught.  Examples abound over here in the UK.  Please don't do it - it's not worth the risk. 

My advice to the original poster would be to:

a).  find out if your mobile phone service provider sells a wireless dongle.  Most of them sell it over here.

b).  if they do, buy it and connect it to the USB socket of your PC or laptop and off you go.

c).  failing that, find other legit ways of connecting but please steer well-clear of hacking.

kiwi992.   

Let's see, where do i live uk or nigeria ? Oh, guess what, i live in nigeria not uk. Again having checked the 1999 constituition and the laws of northern nigeria, i havent come across a single page where war-driving is illegal. Till the day the national assembly finishes chopping our money and wakes up to its responsibilities and passes a cybercrime bill, i continue with my wayward ways. Secondly, if wardriving is illegal, then all those guys using freedom software, proxifier or whatever to hack and browse on glo, zain and mtn networks should not be allowed to advertise and sell it on this forum. Pot calling kettle black. P.S. Am a certified Ethical Hacker and Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA).

sayhi2ay:

the tools are free to download, its not about that, its about knowing the information to look for when the software hack into the network. like i said, the are not processed data.

Exactly, i didnt know sht about networking or linux when i started, but now i have gathered enough books, registered on so many forums and got so many softwares that my knowledge base has increased dramatically. Job opportunities are also lining up.
Re: Wireless Network by uspry1(f): 4:14am On Aug 22, 2008
That is good for Nairalanders to learn something new everyday!

Good job explaining about networking system without me to do the job! I take rest and relax drinking and eating! grin

For me, it is not hard setting up wireless network sharing multiple computers/laptop even cellphone!
Re: Wireless Network by xheggs(m): 9:53am On Aug 22, 2008
uspry1:

That is good for Nairalanders to learn something new everyday!

Good job explaining about networking system without me to do the job! I take rest and relax drinking and eating! grin

For me, it is not hard setting up wireless network sharing multiple computers/laptop even cellphone!

there is really no big deal in all those stuffs.,.,.its just this nigeria mentality thing.
i rememba i actually formatted a PC when i was lyk 9 yrs old & my 7 yr old cuzn re-installed Windows 95 OS bak on d same PC.
Re: Wireless Network by uspry1(f): 2:40pm On Aug 22, 2008
xheggs:

there is really no big deal in all those stuffs.,.,.its just this nigeria mentality thing.
i rememba i actually formatted a PC when i was like 9 years old & my 7 yr old cuzn re-installed Windows 95 OS bak on d same PC.

@xheggs

I was on the same boat as you were young being formatted a PC back then starting with Windows 3.1, then upgrade Windows 95, then later upgrade Windows 98, then later upgrade Windows XP with adding more RAM and newer motherboard on the same PC i have over 5 years. That was 20 years ago as technology changes dramatically I follow their trends I love upgrading do-it-myself all the time.

So What! I only replace newer barebone system every 5 years taking all peripherals part such as HDD, Floppy Disk, CDRW drive, Firewire, new USB2.2 out old tower case into new one.

Now I enjoy staying dual boot of Windows XP pro and Ubuntu 8.04. ENOUGH for me NOT upgrade Windows Vista no more, no more, no more!
Re: Wireless Network by xheggs(m): 3:12pm On Aug 22, 2008
uspry1:

@xheggs

I was on the same boat as you were young being formatted a PC back then starting with Windows 3.1, then upgrade Windows 95, then later upgrade Windows 98, then later upgrade Windows XP with adding more RAM and newer motherboard on the same PC i have over 5 years. That was 20 years ago as technology changes dramatically I follow their trends I love upgrading do-it-myself all the time.

So What! I only replace newer barebone system every 5 years taking all peripherals part such as HDD, Floppy Disk, CDRW drive, Firewire, new USB2.2 out old tower case into new one.

Now I enjoy staying dual boot of Windows XP pro and Ubuntu 8.04. ENOUGH for me NOT upgrade Windows Vista no more, no more, no more!

@uspry
what do we have here.,.,.,.i'm impressed
definitly ur some sort of IT personnel:::whats ur specialty.,.?
Re: Wireless Network by uspry1(f): 4:43pm On Aug 22, 2008
xheggs:

@uspry
what do we have here.,.,.,.i'm impressed
definitly your some sort of IT personnel:::whats your specialty.,.?

@xheggs

Go clicking my journal link at my NL profile that leads to proper page then scroll down you will see my qualifications finding out what my speciality are.
Re: Wireless Network by xheggs(m): 6:02pm On Aug 22, 2008
uspry1:

@xheggs

Go clicking my journal link at my Nairaland profile that leads to proper page then scroll down you will see my qualifications finding out what my speciality are.

@uspry
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
really fantastic
ur lyk 1 of those IT pioneers.
keep up d good work
Re: Wireless Network by Vuitton(m): 2:16am On Aug 23, 2008
Interesting!
Re: Wireless Network by kay8080: 8:32am On Sep 05, 2008
hello I have like 7 wireless networks in my area but they all passworded it so outsiders do have access to it, I would like to know if there is a software or a way of hacking into this wireless network so as to have access to the internet,
Re: Wireless Network by samir101ng(m): 3:00am On Sep 06, 2008
First and foremost, you need to know the name(SSID) of the network and the type of encryption it uses (WEP,WPA,WPA2). If you can see this also, try and note the mac address of the access points (BSSID). Having done this, the next thing is verify whether your wireless card supports packet injection and monitoring of data. If you are seriously thinking of hacking a wireless network and you want to use the wireless card of your laptop or desktop then you better forget it. This is because the wireless card in your laptop is usually not compatible for hacking wireless networks and lacks enough signal power. My advice will be to get a wireless usb device like dlink or linksys. Another problem also is the limitation of using windows for hacking networks. I normally use linux for all my hacking as its more flexible and allows me more access to manipulate my hardware. Finally and most importantly is to get a good book on wireless networking and read it thoroughly so as to understand some of the big grammar that is being thrown here.Check this out.

1. Sybex.CWNA.Certified.Wireless.Network.Administrator.Study.Guide.Exam.PW0-100.Sep.2006

2. McGraw.Hill.Hacking.Exposed.Wireless.Mar.2007

3. Syngress.Publishing.How.to.Cheat.at.Securing.a.Wireless.Network.Jul.2006

4. Wi-Foo - The Secrets of Wireless Hacking

5. Hacking Wireless Networks For Dummies (2005)

If you are interested, holla.
Re: Wireless Network by otokx(m): 11:33am On Sep 06, 2008
This is quite inspiring

@samir101ng

can one get your type of certification in APTECH?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have / Browse The Net Using Your Phone Connected To Your Computer / Google To Include People's Gmail In Search Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.