Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. (7015 Views)

Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) / Learn Android App Development For FREE Here / Pictures Of My First Android App (comments And Suggestion Needed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 11:18pm On Jul 22, 2014
This article below explains why I left Android completely to Python and Web2py Framework.
Back in the days my biggest dream was to see my first Android App in the google play store where people can download it from anywhere in the world. Then After spending some time in Java and Android with couple of apps both published and unpublished its about a year since I left that lane completely to settle on Python programming language and web application development. Now the are talking about it on TC please read.
I am not discouraging anybody to continue with mobile apps but men! I no fit shout read first.

The Majority Of Today’s App Businesses Are Not Sustainable
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/21/the-majority-of-todays-app-businesses-are-not-sustainable/?ncid=twittersocialshare via @techcrunch
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 11:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
Besides, no knowledge is wasted. I am happy to go through Java and Android before I started Python, it really helped me a lot.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtmlextreme(m): 12:27am On Jul 23, 2014
What i love most about the post is this:

The report’s analysis groups the estimated 2.9 million mobile app developers worldwide into a handful (can you beat that?) of different categories for easy reference:
Category 1: The “have-nothings,”
Category 2: The “poverty-stricken,”
Category 3: The “strugglers,”
Category 4: The “haves.” (these are the bigger boys for that matter)

Accounting for 47% of app developers, the “have nothings” include the 24% of app developers – who are interested in making money, it should be noted - who make nothing at all.

Meanwhile, 22% are “poverty stricken” developers whose apps make $100 to $1,000 per app per month. At this rate, the companies behind the apps couldn’t afford standard app developer salaries.

When combined with the above “have nots,” that means 62% of developers are below the “app poverty line” of $500 per app per month, and some 69% can’t sustain full-time development.

No category for the millionaires? I should just pack my bags and return to my village and continue farming (i believe i can still use hoe and cutlass), all these computer things don tire me sef.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 23, 2014
I do mobile app development for fun, I believe it will take me somewhere someday.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by nollyj: 1:45am On Jul 23, 2014
For me there are different issues this article did not address. Though I will assume that it was written mainly for developers living in core develop countries.

If you put into consideration that many people that fall within "poverty-stricken” and "The “strugglers" are from developing countries like India Thailand, Eastern European and African countries where standard of living is very low compare to US, you will get to know that this title is unfair to indie developers.

In some countries, graduate engineers earn less than 500 dollars in monthly salary, a one-man app developer in that country with monthly earning of 1000 dollars cannot be regarded as "poverty-stricken” and "The “strugglers". Everybody does not live in US or UK.

In my own experience, I started learning and developing android apps as a side project last year. I have learn a lot in trying to understand what works and what do not work. So don't think that if you throw any app out there in the store it will automatically get a million download just like that.

I have developed few apps on the side and I am working on more to be released whenever I finish with them. The more I learn the better I want my apps to be. I focus on apps that works and pay less attention to apps that did not work out for me.

I am not making enough money yet but at least I make around 50K Naira a month without even touching the apps in Play store. I plan to hit a target of 100K Naira monthly by end of this year. Just as an alternative source of income.

Please note that I have slightly more than 100K download from all my apps and most have huge user base from US where advertising pay more. It is unfortunate that Nigeria users pay nearly nothing.

For me I can't look back on apps.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtmlextreme(m): 2:04am On Jul 23, 2014
That is the right mentality, and i follow a code very close to that, it is for that reason that all these kind of news do not really bother me.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 5:29am On Jul 23, 2014
To say the fact, Mobile is so much fun, I love it.
I didn't leave because I was broke No! If it's a passion, it doesn't matter if you make money or not. You will keep on keeping on.
But as soon as I realized that having a revolutionary idea on the web looks better to capture the African market based on the number of users on Android compare to the web.
My personal conclusion last year was most things that strive in America always strive in Nigeria but not at the same time. It will first make waves in America then later Nigeria picks up and also do excellently well.

Look at Hollywood to Nollywood, Nigeria is Famous for Nollywood and the whole world is learning to speak pidgin English because of that, most especially the African countries...
Look at the Music Industry, After US Hip Hop / music industry became the number one in the world, the Nigerian Afrobeat Hiphop and music industry is now striving and the whole world is embracing it. I predict our music industry will take over in the future because of the rate of growth.

Now coming to my industry, I thought doing mobile 2yrs ago or now was a bit earlier than it's time in Nigeria. Since the web reigned in US first in the period of emergence of Google, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and numerous web start ups I made the conclusion that web is the way in Africa right now! Look at Nairaland, Jumia, Konga etc

To be able to have that winning life changing idea venture, I had to think web and do web. Python and web2py will make me take over Africa and I am happy doing it now, I can't imagine doing anything else.

I advise Mobile developers to keep on doing their thing, we all have choices.
Believe in yourself kawai! Shikenan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtmlextreme(m): 6:03am On Jul 23, 2014
^^^Programming to take over Africa, ah well, everyone program for their own purposes. I am not intending to take over anywhere or anyone

2 Likes

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 8:29am On Jul 23, 2014
I wanna change Africa, I'm not gonna lie. That's my mission. I am the African Dream
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtmlextreme(m): 9:06am On Jul 23, 2014
Great and lofty dreams, if that be your destiny, then so be it - keep it up. As for me, once i can revolutionalize my clan, i will be just fine.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by nollyj: 10:01am On Jul 23, 2014
[quote author=]^^^Programming to take over Africa, ah well, everyone program for their own purposes. I am not intending to take over anywhere or anyone[/quote]

Best comment ever IMHO
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by tundebabzy: 8:45am On Jul 25, 2014
GideonG: I wanna change Africa, I'm not gonna lie. That's my mission. I am the African Dream

Nah....This one is the best because its usually impossible.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 10:48am On Jul 25, 2014
tundebabzy:

Nah....This one is the best because its usually impossible.

Thank you very much and you all should wait for September 1st by the special grace of God!
It's time already, we've been hustling and working hard for so long, failing numerous times but success has come by his grace.

If you are in the spirit say Aha, Aha
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtmlextreme(m): 1:35pm On Jul 25, 2014
When I first started programming I had a goal and a reason, but when I acquired the skills, I acquired also the knowlege that my cause was foolishness, and so I redirected my cause.
If you feel your cause is to conquer Africa, please go right ahead, you have my support.
Don't go yellow (the color of cowardice)
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Kennyinusa(m): 5:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
Pls guys, let's not drag this. I believe that application development is not a game. For me its business especially when you a re very good at it.

It not just about writing the program, its about building a business around it.

I develop android, windows phone and I also program for the web (enterprise application development). I am broke for those who care to know but that doesn't mean that I would drop what I believe me.

I would know when I fail, but presently am no. So game on.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Intellab(m): 8:08pm On Jul 26, 2014
Most people say it's saturated because they don't know how to target the right niche and also advertise. For me, i plan to learn java and dive into android development.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by tundebabzy: 7:44am On Jul 28, 2014
GideonG:

Thank you very much and you all should wait for September 1st by the special grace of God!
It's time already, we've been hustling and working hard for so long, failing numerous times but success has come by his grace.

Aha Aha!!!

Actually, I also aim to conquer the world because if the aim is good, you won't be too far from the target

Aha aha!!!
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dsypha(m): 10:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
GideonG:

Arrrrrrrgh! So much talk with hardly any work! What happened to romanticpeeps.com? u said by the end of 2013 you should have a million user?

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 29, 2014
Thank God.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 29, 2014
dsypha:

Arrrrrrrgh! So much talk with hardly any work! What happened to romanticpeeps.com? u said by the end of 2013 you should have a million user?
Yeah...what happened with Romanticpeeps??
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtmlextreme(m): 7:04pm On Jul 29, 2014
No one is perfect
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by logoscope(m): 8:21am On Jul 30, 2014

I do web and mobile development for fun. (*^﹏^*)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by asalimpo(m): 10:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
nollyj: For me there are different issues this article did not address. Though I will assume that it was written mainly for developers living in core develop countries.

If you put into consideration that many people that fall within "poverty-stricken” and "The “strugglers" are from developing countries like India Thailand, Eastern European and African countries where standard of living is very low compare to US, you will get to know that this title is unfair to indie developers.

In some countries, graduate engineers earn less than 500 dollars in monthly salary, a one-man app developer in that country with monthly earning of 1000 dollars cannot be regarded as "poverty-stricken” and "The “strugglers". Everybody does not live in US or UK.

In my own experience, I started learning and developing android apps as a side project last year. I have learn a lot in trying to understand what works and what do not work. So don't think that if you throw any app out there in the store it will automatically get a million download just like that.

I have developed few apps on the side and I am working on more to be released whenever I finish with them. The more I learn the better I want my apps to be. I focus on apps that works and pay less attention to apps that did not work out for me.

I am not making enough money yet but at least I make around 50K Naira a month without even touching the apps in Play store. I plan to hit a target of 100K Naira monthly by end of this year. Just as an alternative source of income.

Please note that I have slightly more than 100K download from all my apps and most have huge user base from US where advertising pay more. It is unfortunate that Nigeria users pay nearly nothing.

For me I can't look back on apps.
a lotta folks wud quit their day jobs if they cud make wat u makg without stress.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by dhtml2(m): 11:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo:
a lotta folks wud quit their day jobs if they cud make wat u makg without stress.
How about jobless people like me? Main job is just to troll around. . . .
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 12:21am On Aug 01, 2014
dsypha:

Time will tell.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 12:22am On Aug 01, 2014
tundebabzy:
Aha Aha!!!

Actually, I also aim to conquer the world because if the aim is good, you won't be too far from the target

Aha aha!!!
Thanks a lot for the encouragement
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Nastydroid(m): 3:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
Am sorry for posting this here,i av my reason tho....is it advisable to use a 32bit laptop for programming?
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Djtm(m): 3:59pm On Aug 01, 2014
Nastydroid: Am sorry for posting this here,i av my reason tho....is it advisable to use a 32bit laptop for programming?
what's wrong with that?
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Nastydroid(m): 4:01pm On Aug 01, 2014
Djtm:
what's wrong with that?
am just considering the RAM
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by GideonG(m): 7:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
I have been using 32bit system all my life! Just trying to switch.
You can use it to do anything.

Your Ram is only ur random access memory, I think I doesnt affect your 32bit or 64bit. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Djtm(m): 8:46pm On Aug 01, 2014
Nastydroid: am just considering the RAM
It'll be just fine.
Re: Why I Left Android App Development Since Last Year. by Djtm(m): 8:50pm On Aug 01, 2014
GideonG: I have been using 32bit system all my life! Just trying to switch.
You can use it to do anything.

Your Ram is only ur random access memory, I think I doesnt affect your 32bit or 64bit. I stand to be corrected though.
You can't run 64bit apps on a 32bit machine. And you won't have access to the entire ram on 32bit systems.

But 32 bit systems are fine. I use one too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Little Tip For Notepad++ users Like Me. / Let's Build A Simple Blog With Python(django) / Python Creatives: Where Were We?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.