Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

But For The Spell. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / But For The Spell. (1240 Views)

25 Homophones That Most Spell-checkers Won’t Catch [part 2] / 25 Homophones That Most Spell-checkers Won’t Catch [part 1] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 5:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hello Everyone.
This is purely a work of fiction. The characters are purely from the writer's thoughts, and does not in any way relate to anyone. General Public please take note.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2014
PROLOGUE
'No Maami' Bisade practically yelled at his mother.
'I'm not in any way interested! What has gotten over you mother?' Bisade asked, hitting the table hard. 'You mean you're now fetish?' He continued, staring boldly into his mother's eyes.
All the whr looked at
'Bisade, Sit down and listen calmly to what I have to tell you my dear" his mother instructed.
Dr Abisola Ifaniyi, Abisade Ifaniyi's mother is a woman of class, order and structure. A renown woman both locally and internationally is a Phd holder from University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom who loves the simple life she lives. A life devoid of troubles and paparazzi. She never asked to be addressed as Dr Abisola Ifaniyi as some people would do. Bisola went well with her.
'The reason for all these things I'm telling you, you will know and subsequently understand very soon' Bisola continued.
'You've never for once asked me to tell you the story of how you were conceived and eventually born Abisade?' Bisola asked sipping from the glass of wine in front of her.
'Mother, what are you driving at this time? you've always mentioned that my dad Dr ifaniyi died in a plane crash when I was a little boy. You showed me a picture of him, and you told me you never remarried due to the trauma. Which is why you relocated back to Nigeria.' Bisade replied his mother. Every word coming out of his mouth in a rush.
'Calm down my dear.' Bisade's mother said soothing and then continued ' I think the first step is to ask how you were conceived, and subsequently born.'
' I refuse to be taken as a fool mother.' He said 'you've never asked me to make sacrifices to a deity. So tell me, I'm very interested in my history. If it relates to this sudden sacrifice you're asking me to make to a deity!' He concluded, sarcasm laced in his voice.
Adjusting his tie, he reached for a bottle of water.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2014
CHAPTER ONE
Dr Abisola Ariyike Ifaniyi was born drenched in wealth and luxury. The only child of Professor Ifayemi Ifaniyi, a professor of cultural studies and Dr (Mrs) Rolake Ifaniyi, a medical practitioner, spent her childhood and teenage years in the confines of her parents' town. She had her early childhood education, Primary education and secondary education in Ile Ife, Osun State, where her parents worked and lived.
After her secondary education, she tried getting an admission into the University of Ife. Despite her parents' influence, all efforts proved futile. This made her stay at home for three solid years after the completion of her secondary education. It was during the three years of idleness that she met the only man she would live to hate for the rest of her life, Busayo.
On a very sunny morning, Abisola woke up with a sudden buzz of energy, and decided to take a long walk around her street. She wasn't doing anything serious and important, so she felt she could relax while the morning was still beautiful. Without warning, she heard a deep baritone voice, the Only significant feature in a guy that was her major weakness.
'Hello sisi.' Busayo greeted flashing his sparkling white set of teeth.
'Hi.' Bisola replied with pretend annoyance.
'Pretty girls are not supposed to walk these routes alone you know?' He joked, then continued 'My name is Omobusayo Vaughan. I'm a student of the University of Ife.'
With a look of irritation on her face, she replied him 'Its a pleasure meeting you. I have to get going, sorry.'
She walked away, leaving busayo where he was. Realising she just walked away from him, he called after her.'Hey! I told you my name, you didn't tell me yours. That's not fair.'
Bisola smiled, as she had taken a liking to the man instantly. The two became friends after bumping on each other on several occasion.
Luck smiled on Busayo, as bisola didn't decline his proposal of a Love relationship between them.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 8:34pm On Aug 05, 2014
The academic and age gap was wide, but it didn't deter them from going ahead with the relationship. Busayo was a third year law student, while Abisola was still in her second year of "waiting" to get into the tertiary institution of her Parents' choice.
Over the months, Abisola and Busayo became an item. Her mother on observing what was going on between bisola and busayo, disapproved of the love relationship. Although she didn't know exactly who busayo was or what he does, she just did not want her only child falling into the wrong hands.
However, a major event took place, swallowing the happiness that bloomed in their relationship. Bisola got pregnant.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
'Pregnant?' Busayo asked with a frown. ' But how? Do you realise I'm still a student? Don't you know how your mates deal with sex and unwanted pregnancy?' Busayo accused her.
With a look of disgust in her eyes, she replied him. ' Busayo, you took my virginity, that is enough for you to know that I'm inexperienced in this game.' Raising her voice a little bit, she continued , ' I don't know how my so called mates deal or dealt with unwanted pregnancies, all I know is that I'm pregnant, and I'm dealing with the sickness already.'
'Is that what you want? Nurture this pregnancy, and give birth to this baby?' He asked in an aggressive tone. ' I'm not ready to father a child, and I know you're not ready to be a mother too. I can take you to a very good doctor in town where we can get this pregnancy out fast. It will be painless.' He persuaded.
She kept staring at him. A look of hatred in her eyes. Suddenly, she stood up from where she had been sitting.
'I have to leave now.' Her voice was dry as toast. She felt sad,disturbed and disappointed. She had a sinking feeling that it was just a taste of the icing and not the cake. A storm was brewing, and she seem lost at sea. 'I'll check you later on in the evening.'
Even as she said the words, she could recognise how pathetic they sounded. She had a sinking feeling he'll be long gone before evening. The time read 10:45am, and it was still a long time till evening. The honk from a car behind her jolted her back to life. She realised she almost missed the house gates.
'Wow' she mused. 'So much for thinking too much.'
Her mother Dr Rolake Ifaniyi was home already which was unusual of her. Her dad was away on his sabbatical leave, so she wasn't even expecting him in Nigeria, Let alone at home. The question is, what was her mother doing at home?
'Mother, you're back? What happened?' She asked with panic in her voice.
'Is that your 'mummy welcome home'? And by the way, where did you go? Is this how you leave the whole house while we're gone?' Her mother queried.
'Ah ah, mummy now. I just took a stroll down the street, and I didn't even spend up to 45 minutes.' Bisola replied her mother, then with curiosity in her voice, she asked again.' So, why are you home already?'
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 4:47pm On Aug 27, 2014
'I took some time off work today. I need to help my sister prepare for her daughter's wedding, and you know I'm the only one she has.'
As Dr Rolake was speaking, bisola was already sitted, feigning concentration, and fighting nausea. Then without warning, she threw up all over the sitting room rug.
After cleaning her up and settling a crying Bisola in bed, her mother sat beside her. This wasn't a move bisola needed, she knew her game was up, but what could she do? Nothing.
' Do you mind telling me the man responsible for this?' Her mother asked calmly.
The only response she got from bisola were muffled tears.
'You need to talk to me bisola.' She continued, 'I'm against abortion as a Medical Doctor, but I can as well organise a safe one for my child if that's what she wants.'
She stood up and adjusted the curtains in bisola's room.
Bisola's tears became audible, then straining to sit up she spoke quietly. 'Mummy, I'm so sorry about this mess, but please let me keep this pregnancy. I beg of you.'
'Not until you tell me the man responsible for this.' Raising her voice a little bit, she continued, 'I have nothing else to say to you, just get into the car, and take me to the man.' She said with final authority.
Bisola told her mother that it was busayo who was responsible for her pregnancy. Her mother was very disappointed as she had warned her to stop the love relationship she had then with busayo, but she wouldn't listen.
Thirty minutes later, both mother and daughter left their home for busayo's place. However, luck stood against them. Busayo already packed his things and left his house, as he knew bisola's family will come looking for him. Before he left his house, he made very sure to destroy every trace to anyone discovering where he moved to.
Whether he dropped out of school, or died, no one knew as at that time. The only thing that mattered then was granting bisola her wish and ensuring that she had a safe delivery of her child, and also furthering her education.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
***CHAPTER TWO***
'You won't believe what mumsy is asking me to do?' Bisade said sipping his coffee.
'What? Is she trying to match make you with one or more of her friend's children? Paddy guessed raising an eyebrow.
Paddy his childhood friend had come visiting him at work. In order to tell paddy what his mother was asking him to do, he had taken him to the coffee shop close to his office where they could talk without any fear of intrusion.
Bisade laughed,unbuttoning his blazers, 'No, you're so wrong.' Then he continued 'That would have even been better if that's the case.' He took a gulp of coffee as if his whole life depends on it.' Mother is asking me to make sacrifices to a diety. Her major reason been to untie the link between my childhood and my adulthood.'
'Woooaa!' Paddy exclaimed 'That's serious.' Paddy said sipping some coffee . ' I don't mean to burst your bubble, and not that its my business or anything, but I feel she has her reasons.' He smiled sadly then continued, 'and knowing you well enough, you'll never be patient enough to find out the reason. You want my honest advice?' He asked then continued without waiting for his response. 'I think you should find out what her reasons are.'

Several hours later, Bisade sat in his office wondering how to solve the challenge he had at hand. He picked up his mobile phone and dialled his mother's number. With a sigh, he thought about what to say to his mother, while waiting for her line to connect.
'Hello my dear.' His mother's voice jolted him back to reality.
'Good Afternoon ma.' Bisade greeted his mother.
'Good Afternoon Bisade. How are you?'
It seem strange speaking with his mother the way he was, but he had messed up by shouting back at her when she told him about the sacrifice. She couldn't hate him, neither could he. All he had to do was right his wrongs.
'Mummy, I'll be coming down to your place on Friday, right after work, and I'll be spending the weekend.' He said, his voice laced with uncertainty. 'And mummy, you'll tell me more about the reasons behind the sacrifice.' He smiled suddenly remembering his mother's excitement everytime he visits with her.
'And one more thing' he continued ' please pound that yam you told me about, I can't wait to have a taste.'
His mothers laughter brought back memories of the old times they shared together. When it had been himself and his mother back in london.
'And bunmi asked to tell you that she'll be visiting on saturday too. I hope you don't mind?' All of a sudden feeling very shy, he added ' and I'm sorry for screaming at you yesterday. I didn't mean it. The whole sacrifice came as a shock to me."
Re: But For The Spell. by Flakkydagirl: 6:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nice work.....

But please space your write up in paragraph and the names..Bisola,busayo,bisade,bi....its confusing.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 6:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
Thank you so much Miss Flakkydagirl.

I read your works most of the time as a guest, and I must say you inspire.

Thanks so much for the correction. The names were actually inspired by my daughter. I hope you take your time to read the rest, and I hope it becomes less confusing.

I'll take note of the others too.

"The Siblings" is a very awesome work, and I'm following dutifully.
Re: But For The Spell. by Hameenat94(f): 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
Following#
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 8:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hameenat94: Following#
Its so good to have you here Ma'am.
Re: But For The Spell. by Flakkydagirl: 8:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
MidieMeliss: Thank you so much Miss Flakkydagirl.

I read your works most of the time as a guest, and I must say you inspire.

Thanks so much for the correction. The names were actually inspired by my daughter. I hope you take your time to read the rest, and I hope it becomes less confusing.

I'll take note of the others too.

"The Siblings" is a very awesome work, and I'm following dutifully.
Good to hear that dear.....
As long as you continue to dish out interesting updates,I'm stuck right here all the way...

Welldone....
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 10:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
Bisola smiled at the other end. 'Its okay my darling.' Tears streamed down her cheeks as she spoke. ' I can't wait to see you on friday, and please, no late nights ehen.' She warned composing herself.
They said their good byes and hoped for the best come friday.

Bisade jumped from his seat as if he had been pricked with a needle. He realized for the first time that his surname was ifaniyi, and same with his mother and grandparents. It had never strucked him to ask his mother the reasons why he shared the same last name with his grandparents. He knew right there and then that there was more to it than meet the eye.
Still musing on these thoughts from afternoon, Bisade rolled from left to right on his bed, then eventually sat up. Standing up to turn on the television set, he sat on his very comfortable sofa, and tried to concentrate on the programme the channel was showing, still he lacked concentration.
'What is mother really hiding from me?' He mused to himself
Taking a bite into the leftovers of the pancake he made earlier, he continued with his muse. ' And to think I never even asked about my father?' He chuckled. ' Bisade, you're a silly, spoilt brat sha.'
He said, shaking his head. 'I really hope this sacrifice thing will be worth the trouble though."
All these thoughts and many more ran through his mind. He checked his blackberry and saw a message from his girlfriend bunmi. His face showed one with mixed feelings. She had sent the message about two hours back. He checked her whatsapp to know if she was still awake and saw that she was online. He decided to chat with her to take his mind off things for a while.
My God! He wasn't much into love, but he seemed a bit attached to Adebunmi. He hoped she won't be hurt eventually by him.

He remembered the day he met her. She had been stranded at the junction of her grandparent's house in Oluyole Extension, Ibadan while waitng for a cab. He happened to be inspecting a contract Job his company had been awarded then in Ibadan when he saw her. He gave her a lift in his car, and the rest they say is history.
She had been adamant at first with her excuse been he was a "silver spoon" kid and she wasn't into the likes of him. However within a period of time,she saw the true man in Abisade Ifaniyi and decided to give him a trial. The beginning of their relationship had been rosy, and still is. Due to the fact that her mother and step dad stayed in lagos, she decided to move to lagos to be close to him.
But then, he had a sinking feeling something was about to go wrong. He wasn't sure what it was, or how it will, but he was sure the sacrifice would open up old wounds.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
*****CHAPTER THREE*****
The pregnancy period was filled with challenges for bisola. She was technically caged within their compound. It was during that perios she got an admission in the University of Ife to study psychology. However, her parents turned down the offer on her behalf due to her pregnancy.

All of Bisola's ante natal appointments were scheduled to be done at home with her mother Dr Rolake Ifaniyi acting as her chief matron, and a nurse from the hospital where her mother worked who had been sworn to secrecy acted as her assistant.

Proffessor Ifaniyi who was torn apart at the news of his only child's pregnancy refused to speak with abisola, but made plans towards Abisola's schooling abroad.

On a very bright Friday morning, pains racked Abisola's abdomen. She knew instantly from what her mother had told her that she was about to have a child.

"Mummy!" She screamed, holding on to the nearest support she had. Dr. Rolake who was still home as at that time ran out from the room towards her daughter. Panick was written all over her face. She wasn't sure if bisola was going to successfully pull off a natural birth. She said a short prayer inwardly before switching into action proffessionally. She immediately called the nurse who had been in charge throughout the ante natal period to come over to the house as bisola had already fallen into labour.

It took every ounce of strength and energy to get bisola into the room she had created as a make shift delivery room.
"Have you noticed any "show" already?" Rolake asked her daughter.
"No." She replied in the negative.

By this time, the pain had subsided, and only coming at an interval of 40 minutes. Rolake went through bisola's hospital notes, nodding her head in satisfaction. She took her place beside her daughter's bed, timing her contractions to get an accuracy of her possible time of delivery.
"Mummy, another one's coming." Bisola screamed again, this time holding onto her mother for support.
"Ohf! ohf! ohf!" She puffed out short breathe.
Her mother whispered soothing words to calm her down as her pains subsided again.

Dr. Rolake wondered why her "water" hadn't broken. Her contractions were becoming sharper by the minutes. If her "water" should break, then she knew bisola should give birth to the baby within two hours maximum.

"Ahh, I'm urinating on my body mummy." Bisola said, laughing.
"See mummy to be o, you better gather yourself together, the main work is about to begin." Nurse Titi said smiling.
"Titi, I didn't even hear you come in. How are you my dear?" Dr Rolake greeted her nurse. " Her contractions are now thirty minutes apart, and her water just broke." She briefed her nurse.
"Its going to get intense anymoment from now then." Nurse Titi asserted.
"Mummy!" Bisola screamed again.

Both Dr Rolake and Nurse Titi didn't need anyone to tell them what was about to happen. They knew her body was ready to push the baby out. The rest was up to her.

"I'm going to count from one to five, and when I get to five, you push." Nurse Titi said, springing to action.
Her mother holding her steadily on her shoulders as pain racked all through her body.
"Push" Nurse Titi commanded.
There was worry evident on Dr. Rolake's face as though she wasn't sure her daughter could pull it off. Pushing extra hard, the baby's head became obvious.
The Nurse commanded her to give an extra push. The baby came out of her mother, while Dr. Rolake cut off the umblica cord and the nurse completed the birthing process.
"Congratulations Bisola, you have a baby boy." Her mother said happily, hugging her.
"Thank you ma. Thank you so much for everything." The nurse assisted in cleaning bisola up and the baby too. Later on in the day, her mother came into the room and sat beside her.
"I must admit, I'm very disappointed in you, but I must say this, I'm also very proud of you." Dr Rolake said hugging her daughter again.
"I'm so sorry for everything I put you and daddy through. Please forgive me." Bisola said, her eyes glassy with tears.
"I'll name him Abisade." She told her mother.
Although the atmosphere in the house wasn't an exciting one, it also wasn't a sad one.
Re: But For The Spell. by MidieMeliss(f): 10:46am On Aug 31, 2014
Both mother and child were well taken care of, with the grandparents spoiling their grand child silly. Bisade had bridged the gap between his mother, and his grandparents. Although they had been very angry with Bisola all through the period of the pregnancy. The arrival of the baby melted every grudge.

Six months after the arrival of baby bisade, bisola travelled out of the country to study psychology at the University of Sheffield.
Her Father's twin brother who happened to know the whole story surrounding Abisade's birth advised his brother to allow the baby travel with his mother to the United Kingdom. Bisade and his mother arrived the United Kingdom, and put up with Bisola's uncle.

After fifteen years of studying, working and staying in the U.K, Bisola felt it was time for her to return home to Nigeria, and make a living for herself. Before she left the country however, her father visited her. He was still visibly annoyed with the man who impregnated his daughter and then eloped.

"Bisola." He called, and then continued. "You are my only child, and I would not in anyway hurt you, or even try to." He smiled.

Bisola was trying her best to understand the scene playing itself in front of her.

"Daddy, what is going on? Are you sick? Do you need to see a Doctor?" The questions rushed out of her mouth.

"No, I don't. " He was visibly touched at Bisola's kind heartedness. " As a matter of fact, I'm very fine. However, there are some secrets I need to let you into." He replied smiling.

"Secrets? What kind Father?" She asked, curiosity laced in her voice.

"Its about your son, well, my own grandson too, Abisade." He said, staring directly into his daughter's eyes.
"Now, let's leave education on one aspect, you know I'm a concentrated traditionalist. Or like you would always prefer, a traditional priest." He shifted a bit. " I made some moves after you had him. You wouldn't blame me, I was hurt. My sixteen year old daughter was pregnant for an irresponsible man." He continued. Then issued a warning to his daughter.
"Fistly,Abisade must never attach his father's last name to his name. If he does, it will bring bad luck for him. This was the reason I insisted he shares the same last name with my family." He said.

"Secondly, Abisade must never set his eye on his father, ever again. If he does, it would bring doom for both of them." He warned .

"Daddy." Bisola sighed. " What have you done this time?" She queried.
"Why in this world will you go to the extreme. I thought yours was a priest that saves life." She was shaken. Despite all that busayo had done to her. She still feels her father had taken a wrong step. Bisade would ask questions in the future. Busayo would come back too, that she was very sure. If all these things happen, would she stop both father and son from seeing? All because of a curse? She was very much confused.

Her father stood up from where he had been sittng to get himself a cup of water.

"If both father and son needs to meet, there are atonements and sacrifices that abisade himself will need to make to destroy the curse. " He further explained. " There is no need to get yourself worked up, as its not a permanent curse my dear." He took a gulp of the glass of water he was holding, and continued. " Even if I'm not alive, my younger brother Ifajare knows the steps to take in destroying the curse."

"Now, you must listen properly. Once you know that busayo is close by to where bisade is, you must tell bisade about everything, and alert my brother ifajare, so necessary steps can be taken. If I'm still alive, alert me." He paused, then continued.

" That will be all. You go on ahead back to Nigeria, I'll stay back in the U.K for a while." He said, dismissing his daughter.

(1) (Reply)

Today Is World Book And Copyright Day / The Mercenary / Do Human Beigns Have An Expiry Date? Hear God's Answer:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.