Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,914 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Why? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why? (837 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why? by Cayon(f): 5:01am On Nov 15, 2008
Why do African students who come to study in the US consistently outperform African-Americans in every field?
Re: Why? by LoveAlways(f): 10:56am On Nov 15, 2008
@Cayon

I do not know, but I wouldn't generalize all African Americans. What is Nigeria's public school system like? How do parents prepare Nigerians for school and college? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Re: Why? by Ifygurl: 12:12pm On Nov 15, 2008
LoveAlways:

@Cayon

I do not know, but I wouldn't generalize all African Americans. What is Nigeria's public school system like? How do parents prepare Nigerians for school and college? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Nigeria's public school SUCKS. Trust me, it's better if you home-school your kid than send them to public school in Nigeria but some of the kids in the public schools do get higher grades than some kids that went to private school so maybe it's not so bad. The best schools in Nigeria would be Private, boarding and international schools. Parents in Nigeria takes educationl seriously; most parents will do anything to send their kids to school. I know for my parents, if i get anything below B, that grade will be labeled as a failing grade. C is a failing grade in my house. When i was a little girl in Nigeria, my aunt and parents will promise to buy me anything i want as long as i'm 1st in my class (In Nigeria, it's either your 1st, 2nd, 3rd,etc). When they promise to buy me gifts, i do great. That's how my parents motivated me.

(1) (Reply)

New Years Resolution:2009 / What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol / Nigerian Myths Story Line Development For 3d Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.