Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Your Check Engine Light And You ! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Check Engine Light And You ! (2086 Views)

The Most Common Trouble Codes That Can Cause Your Check Engine Light To Come On / My Lexus Gs300 Check Engine, Vsc, Vsc Off Light Is On. How Do I Wipe It Off? / How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Check Engine Light And You ! by ogoplus: 6:15pm On Nov 26, 2014
All car manifacturers warn of serious consequences if the "Check Engine Light" / "Service Engine Soon" light comes on your car's dash board.

Infact my car manufacture's manual says as soon as the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes-on;

"stop driving immediately, park the car as safe as possible and immediately and call an authorised service agent nearest to you"[/i]

However I have observed that many car owners still drive their car around with the Check Engine / Service Engine Soon light.

I have asked couple of people why they ignore the Check Engine /Service Engine Soon Light :

their reasons:-

1. [i]"I don't think it has any effect on the car since my car still run fine"

2. "Yes, I know I should scan the car and fix the issue but I can't afford to pay 5K for just diagonistic scan"

3. "I will run a comprehensive diagonistic when i buy my own OBD2 scanner"

4. "My mechanic says the light is normal............"

NLders;

1. How long have you ignored you "Check Engine" / "Service Engine Soon" Light and why.......................?
Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by Rhozabeth(m): 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2014
Soon after buying my Toyota Sienna 2001 model the 'check engine' light came on. But after asking so many mechanics, I keep getting 'it is not important' response but I ve decided to run a diagnostic. However one of the mechanics I spoke to taught me something. He said to remove one terminal of the battery for a few minutes and put it back! The light will go off for a while(almost a week) and that is what I ve been doing for the last 2months!
Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by defhenry(m): 7:32pm On Nov 26, 2014
Woyo mama..... Cars don suffer for nija. That doesn't solve the problems Bros, it just resets ur ecu, and as long as the issue is not fixed, the light will come back on after several driving cycles. Oga, scan that car and have d issue fixed before it turns into a big problem
Rhozabeth:
Soon after buying my Toyota Sienna 2001 model the 'check engine' light came on. But after asking so many mechanics, I keep getting 'it is not important' response but I ve decided to run a diagnostic. However one of the mechanics I spoke to taught me something. He said to remove one terminal of the battery for a few minutes and put it back! The light will go off for a while(almost a week) and that is what I ve been doing for the last 2months!
Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by lonelydora: 4:33am On Nov 27, 2014
4. "My mechanic says the light is normal............"
Like seriously?
Please don't allow that mechanic to touch that car again.

1 Like

Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by ogoplus: 8:31am On Nov 27, 2014
Most "Road Side Mechanics" will always tell you not to worry about the "Check Engine Light".....

My neighbour's Check Light has been on for over 12 months........ I pity the car sha

1 Like

Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by Readonee35L(m): 8:58am On Nov 27, 2014
Rhozabeth:
So who are you deceiving yourself or your car

There's still an issue under that hood so hiding the code doesn't bring any change or solve your problem

Kindl scan your car and fix the issue
Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by ogawisdom(m): 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
A steady check engine light is nt an emergency n shld nt stop anyone frm driving his or her car. Most times d only noticeable effect is dt ur car burns more fuel probably due to a failed oxygen sensor dt needs replacement. 85percent of our interstate commercial buses ve their check engine light on n d drivers hardly kw wat d light means.

One shld scan d car as soon as it is convenient to fix d fault. A flashin check engine light is d real emergency dt shld b tackled immediately
Re: Your Check Engine Light And You ! by Edunwa302(m): 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2014
defhenry:
Woyo mama..... Cars don suffer for nija. That doesn't solve the problems Bros, it just resets ur ecu, and as long as the issue is not fixed, the light will come back on after several driving cycles. Oga, scan that car and have d issue fixed before it turns into a big problem
i disagree with you on this one, i use 00 camry ones my check engine pops up i just have to remove one of my battery terminal head en its goes off ,my point is, most atimes dis light comes up when dere is minor issues like when gas cap is being open while the engine is running.
Ones i remove my terminal head en fix it back en the light is still on then i no its a permanent fault , i can now go for diag

(1) (Reply)

Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic / Mazda6 Reviews / Lady Caught With Taxi Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.