Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

How Can I Enter? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can I Enter? (893 Views)

Help! Before I Enter Another Waterloo, Is Syskay.com A Good Host? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Enter? by likewhat: 3:17pm On Dec 05, 2008
FOLKS
I am an upcoming webdeveloper.
Have learnt basic web technologies which includes: XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, and a little bit of XML.
Right now am working on PHP.

Very soon i will be done with PHP and i suppose that all the afore mentioned technologies will equip me to be able to create a basic functional web application/web site.

I just want to know where to go from there,
I mean, HOW DO I ENTER THE MARKET and start making some money, when am done with tutorials.

All suggestions and solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Related personal experiences will also help a great deal.
Re: How Can I Enter? by yawatide(f): 3:51pm On Dec 05, 2008
Where is the proof of what you have learned?  As in, may we see a site you have done? Anyone can pick up an ebook from google and slap things together and call it a "website" but only a few can do it well. Chances are your first site will be crap and that's alright. I have been there myself. However, with corrections, practice makes perfect.

To make money, other than fasting and prayer, you need to do a free site or 2 and advertise those heavily.  Also, don't shy away from telling anyone you meet what you do.  I always carry at least 10 biz cards with me wherever I go. I am shameless.  As you get more and more popular, you should then  be getting biz by word of mouth.

Finally, even when you have reached "the top (you get to define this for yourself)", you need to humble yourself and look down at those climbing up after you.  Why? you need to keep reading to remain marketable.  Don't expect to code sites in 2010 with what you learned in 2008.  It won't cut it.  After that, don't forget to give the same advice I am giving you now to those coming up after you wink

Good luck!
Re: How Can I Enter? by likewhat: 6:58pm On Dec 05, 2008
I have designed a few demo website in my local pc.
Haven't hosted any though, i plan to host my personal site soon.
But here are some splash shot of a few i have done.

Re: How Can I Enter? by likewhat: 7:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
And Another:

Re: How Can I Enter? by ThePhantom(m): 9:11pm On Dec 05, 2008
@yawa-ti-de

Hi, I have read a few of your comments on Nairaland and I am interested to see your work. Can you post a link?
Re: How Can I Enter? by yawatide(f): 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2008
If u hv been here long enough you would no the answer to that, phantom - send me an email.  I don't post such things on a public domain.  Sorry  cool Besides, I am not here to show off "links" but to learn via debate and reason. If you insist, be my guest but you will never hear me ask anyone to "post a link".

likewhat:
From the screenshots, they look good for a newbie but it would be nice to see the actual code behind it, for structure, validation, etc.
Re: How Can I Enter? by ThePhantom(m): 6:35am On Dec 07, 2008
I respect that. I will send you an email
Re: How Can I Enter? by oludimuni: 8:40am On Dec 10, 2008
My Broda,

You are weldone, I want to congratule you, at least for putting up some websites.
There are two ways i can suggest you approach this query:
I want you to understand that, for you to succed in this business you have to build you portfolio.

Strategies and harness all your resources to make sure you build your portfolio.

Try that please.

You can view my contribution to the forum here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-205014.0.html

Thanks.

Olu Oludimu

System Administrator ; Emmanuel Communications Limited

Admin; http://www.oakservers.net | http://www.oakmediang.com

E-mail : olu@oakmediang.com | Tel: 08051614052
Re: How Can I Enter? by smartsoft(m): 11:00am On Dec 10, 2008
@poster do you think anyone here could be through with PHP ?
Re: How Can I Enter? by tweb1: 12:33pm On Dec 10, 2008
@smartsoft
Being "through with php" as the poster put it may connote having a basic understanding of the said thechnology.
As we all know, no one knows it all. But we may be able to use it to solve immediate problems wink.
Re: How Can I Enter? by likewhat: 12:35pm On Dec 10, 2008
Thanks @t-web.
That is what i mean.

@smartsoft
What is your solution to the problem presented in this thread?
Re: How Can I Enter? by smartsoft(m): 1:00pm On Dec 10, 2008
well i don't have much to say,  but just to tell you that a post on how to start up your own web development business  thread was opened and that is what you need here ! don't let us start another thread here again t-web,

thats my own input oooo likewhat!

(1) (Reply)

Room-scheduling-software Needed / VPN For Sale At N2500 For Over 1yr / Is Twitter Down???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.