Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,862 members, 7,851,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

How To Develop North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Develop North (999 Views)

Osinbajo Urges Africa Nations To Develop Robust Tax Administration Systems / N2bn Approved To Develop Maritime Academy / FG To Develop 20 Dams For Hydropower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Develop North by earTHMama: 4:44am On Dec 19, 2008
Developing the North

SIR: Recent efforts of self-examination by leaders of the northern states signify a resurgence towards growth and progress. However, the four major factors, which hinder development, must be tackled.

Firstly, there is extreme religious fanaticism and virulent dogmatism.

Secondly, the educated elite are complacent and lethargic. They depend largely on the Federal Character quota formula and political patronage, which generously favour them.

Thirdly, women are excluded from economic activities and socially relegated to the background.

Fourthly, the Emirs have overbearing influence, which generates more feudalism than popular democracy.

Victor Ifedi

Lagos
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/dec/18/34.html
Re: How To Develop North by SaiSaraki(m): 8:51am On Dec 19, 2008
So how developed is Mr Ifedi's region?
Re: How To Develop North by deor03(m): 8:54am On Dec 19, 2008
Sai-Saraki:

Victor's region could be lagos, and i think in Nigerian terms Lagos is developed
Re: How To Develop North by udezue(m): 10:21pm On Dec 19, 2008
Ifedi should be worried about his own region and leave the north alone to wallow in their stupidity. Silly southerners always worrying about things that are not their business. Lets develop our own regions more and let the sharia north develop theirs with whatever they got Islam or manpower , warever.
Re: How To Develop North by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2008
udezue:

Ifedi should be worried about his own region and leave the north alone to wallow in their stupidity. Silly southerners always worrying about things that are not their business. Lets develop our own regions more and let the sharia north develop theirs with whatever they got Islam or manpower , warever.

As long as the north remains a drain on the resources of the south mr Ifedi cannot leave them alone.

Sai-Saraki:

If Mr. Ifedi's state got to keep their revenue instead of giving it up for you lazy cattle rearers to reap where you dont sow you'd have had a bonafide question.
Re: How To Develop North by udezue(m): 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2008
lmao cheiiii chineke I'm not Hausa I'm Biafran. I get ur point tho they do need to figure out a way to develop themselves. I'm just tired of us doing the homework for them only to get slapped in the face.
Re: How To Develop North by earTHMama: 10:38pm On Dec 19, 2008
If Mr. Ifedi's state got to keep their revenue instead of giving it up for you lazy cattle rearers to reap where you don't sow you'd have had a bonafide question.

Don't mind them.
Re: How To Develop North by udezue(m): 10:42pm On Dec 19, 2008
oopss ur comment was directed towards da gworo chewer.
Re: How To Develop North by nedunaija(m): 10:49pm On Dec 19, 2008
I think the question of the North and their underdevelopment should be left for the IBBs of this world to answer. If you know the ease with which to take decisons as a military head of state, as well as the amount of resources that an honest military leader can save his country and which can also be used for meaningful investment into education and infrastructural development (as compared to our so-called democracy where the cost of funding the opulence and extravagance of those in government alone is almost above half of our annual budget), then you will know the gravity of the calamity called IBB. Together with his co-travellers from the North who messed this country with bad leadership, and also forced bad leaders like Obasanjo, they should explain why their region is more undeveloped despite their over-bloated number of States, Local governments, as well as their mediocre Federal character and quota systems.

I do not support military dictatorships, but I know that military governments who are honest can change an ailing state. And if IBB and his likes from the North had any modicum of love for this country, we would have far gone beyond where we are today.

My summary. Ask the Northern learders. They have the answer.
Re: How To Develop North by Seun(m): 10:49pm On Dec 19, 2008
So you think what Nigeria needs right now is a dictator?
Re: How To Develop North by earTHMama: 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2008
My summary. Ask the Northern learders. They have the answer.

We are tired of asking them and whining. Let us ask ourselves and devise how to move forward whether they want development or not. Common, IBB, Abubakar etc belong to the past generation. Why should we wait for them to help us forge ahead?
Re: How To Develop North by idiopathic: 11:08am On Dec 20, 2008
Seun, yes, i think Nigeria needs a dictator. The rot in the system is too vast to be dealt with the bureaucracy of democracy. we saw what Ribadu accomplished using extrajudicial means. Compare that to waziri who claims she is ore Democratic and following rule of law.
Re: How To Develop North by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 20, 2008
Why develop a threat to humanity?
Re: How To Develop North by nedunaija(m): 7:27pm On Dec 20, 2008
@ seun
I think a look at Jerry Rawlings and what he achieved in Ghana should answer that question. Honesty in service, that is the answer. Whether military or civilian leadership.
@earTHMama

See my anger with IBB: As a military Head of State, he didn't have a senate that will have its own leadership that struggles for both power, fame and wealth with the Executive;a senate that would need about 108 jeeps and then some other special cars for its leadership; there was no House of Reps that needed to buy over 300 pieces of peogeot cars @ N6million each. There was no state house of assemly whose members were interested in becoming the richest men from their constituencies. Also remember that each of these people I mentioned have their aides, security men, advisers and whatever nomenclature they go buy. Remember we have not mentioned the party exco who see themselves as the parents of the president, the governor and the LGA chairmen. Do you know how much the party men collect from the government per month?Now imagine how much it costs Nigeria to keep this bogus arrangement. All IBB needed to do was give this nation a roadmap for development and follow it religiously. He messed us up for eight years and as if that was not enough, he unleasged one rustic Obasanjo on us.
Re: How To Develop North by bawomolo(m): 7:55pm On Dec 20, 2008
I think a look at Jerry Rawlings and what he achieved in Ghana should answer that question. Honesty in service, that is the answer. Whether military or civilian leadership.

that's an exception and not the norm
Re: How To Develop North by BecomeRich: 12:44am On Dec 21, 2008
The north can only develop if their have total control of their region. That is if they have autonomous status.

If you look at the list below the South dominate in all sector of the economy.

I suggest only three region as seen in the map to avoid secession from the federal.  do not create more than 3 region. if you do , you would have secession. If you create the niger delta region. their would be secession. they would attempt to leave  nigeria.   If you return back to the eastern region map, the Igbos would attempt secession and dominate others. So you include Benue, east kogi, taraba and adamawa to checkmate secession. While you put bayelse in the west to put most Ijaw(80%) in one region. And also to avoid Secession by the Igbos based on oil. You do not want to put all your oil source in one region. You would face blackmail. 

If you look at the list below the South dominate in all sector of the economy including  sport, airport, education,agric, electricity, banks, telecommunication,  Judiciaries,  telecommunication and education etc,  And would remain so for every if you do not change it. And that can only be done by constitution reviews. 

You also need to break delta state into 2. You remove the Itsekiri , Ijaw and Isoko area and create a new state. It would reduce militia.  Let the Uhrobo remain in delta state with the asaba people.  Do not make the mistake of putting the Uhrobo in the same state with the Itsekiri.  You would break the back of militia this way.

This southern domination was put their by Ironsi in the unitary system , when he took away the right of the north to collect their taxes, police, sport, airport, education,agric, electricity, banks, telecommunication,  Judiciaries,  telecommunication and education etc.

They must have exclusive right   to all taxes in their region.
They must have exclusive right   to region bank  in their region.  police force.
They must have exclusive  right  to sharia police  in their region.
They must have exclusive  right  to sport.
They must have exclusive right  to collected from mineral including oil. All oil 70 nautical miles for the region. deep sea for federal.
They must have exclusive  right  to  the ownership of airport .
They must have exclusive right   to  the control of education.
They must have exclusive right    to health care issue.
They must have exclusive  right   to their railway.
They must have exclusive right   to telecommunication.
They must have exclusive right   to  electricity.
They must have exclusive right   to customs duties and air  duties.
They must have exclusive right   to  taxes from agric.
The introduction of regional petrol station per litre Tax
They must have exclusive Regional Judiciaries
They must have exclusive right   to  grants licences to banks,
They must have exclusive right   to  grants licences telecommunication,
They must have exclusive right   to  grants education institution and others.

Re: How To Develop North by lucabrasi(m): 12:49am On Dec 21, 2008
nuzo:

Why develop a threat to humanity?
do you really mean that or you r just kidding
i dont see anyone calling saudi arabians threats to humanity or afghans
@post
i agree with the mr ifedi,also i believe the more the northern problem is either ignored or left unattended to,the more it ll continually come back to bit ngerians in the ass and cause more embarassement,the northern youths are nigerians same as the youths of other regions and should be catered for especially in the area of enlightenment and education
Re: How To Develop North by Naijex: 1:01am On Dec 21, 2008
Guys, I think Nigerian problem is way more than Dictatorship or democracy. All the govt we've had in the past have messed with most Nigerians brain and we don't even know what is good from what is bad. People are just looking for money. Too sad.
Re: How To Develop North by NegroNtns(m): 8:37am On Dec 21, 2008
@Post,

It depends on what is commonly agreed as the acceptable definition or measure for "development". To some people, high literacy per x number of population is development. To some, high rise buildings, malls, parks, beaches, resorts are symbols of development. Yet to some others, cultural values and strong sense of community based support is development.

We cannot use the southern index of development as the standard for the whole country, unless it is the official measure adopted by the Federal Govt, then you would expect all regions to meet the requirement. For those that do not, you would expect a developmental plan with a step action for how the measure would be attained. Mr Ifedi's question is based on this assumption that development, as he clarified it, is a nationally mandated goal.

Well, is it?
Re: How To Develop North by yarodin: 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2008
Ok Becomerich  yes Ironsi came up with the Unitary style of goverance, but after the coup of July 66 why did Gowon and Co not change what Ironsi had created and implemented?   The northern kings/lords and their southern counterparts are the problems for Nigeria and not the policies set by Ironsi, because believe me if they were really working against the north those policies would have been changed immediately during Gowon, Shagari, IBB etc.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Almajiri Children Learning A Life Of Poverty And Violence / Bharti Airtel(india) Plans To Invest $600 Mln In Nigeria / Yenegwe Okaki-kolo Road In Bayelsa State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.