Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,714 members, 7,851,445 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:27 PM

Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting (799 Views)

Between Windows VPS And Linux VPS Which Is The Best?? / What Is The Difference Between A Web Designer And A Web Developer? / Difference Between .tv And .com Plus Few Other Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by Afam4eva(m): 7:17pm On Dec 30, 2008
I'm about to host one of my sites, but whenever i go to a host website i always see windows and linux hosting, please can anyone tell me the difference between the two andwhat they both entail.
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by yawatide(f): 7:48pm On Dec 30, 2008
It's a features thing. What I would do rather is ask those here what they have and list advantages/disadvantages if they have used the other. Also, you could always also contact the web host, tell them what you want to accomplish with your sties (db, etc) and let them recommend a server for you.
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by paribus(m): 8:12pm On Dec 30, 2008
I 'think' the key differentiator is that Linux hosting would traditionally support LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-pHp) based technologies while Windows hosting would support AST.NET / MS SQL based technologies.

If your website/web application runs on LAMP then you should go for Linux hosting while if it runs on ASP/MSSQL, then you should go for Windows hosting but then of course if yours is just straight up html pages with no backend DB or dynamic functionalities, then either platform should be suitable. Regards
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by Afam4eva(m): 6:57pm On Dec 31, 2008
What if i use PHP and MYSQL on my site, which is recommended.
Can i go for Linux Hosting if my Operating system is windows?
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by yankitwizy(m): 7:13pm On Dec 31, 2008
If you are using PHP/MYSQL, then its better to host with a Linux server. PHP runs best on LINUX without any stupid configurations. The last site (with PHP/MYSQL) I hosted on a windows server was no small task at all. The very basic php codes could not run properly. I had to use special classes that the host wrote in order to perform the php functions.
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by yawatide(f): 7:16pm On Dec 31, 2008
afam4eva, sure.

I believe there is XAMP and WAMP which are software programs that enable you to develop and run PHP/MySQL based app on your local machine b4 you upload to your hosting server. I stand corrected though and others are free to chime in.
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by Afam4eva(m): 7:29pm On Dec 31, 2008
Please where can i download XAMP or WAMP from.
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 31, 2008
yawatide you are absolutely correct i used WAMP as my local server php can work well windows if you make use WAMP-window- Apache Mysql and php
Re: Difference Between Windows And Linux Hosting by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2008
afam4eva just do a search on google and you will get a lot site where you can download XAMP OR WAMP

(1) (Reply)

I.t. Trainings: Sharepoint, Oracle11g On Linux, Asp.net 2.0 , Java Web Dvpmt / Help Please. On Portal / Please Webmaster Review This Site Please Www.mcpatolive.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.