Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence (3229 Views)

3 Things That Can Kill Your Christian Faith / Why Faith Is Bad / The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 10:49pm On Feb 14, 2015
Sometimes Christians have a mistaken
definition of "faith". Because faith is
sometimes described as believing in
things that cannot be seen, Christians
often think of faith as an act of believing
in things that have no evidential basis. In essence, some Christians believe that "true faith" is believing in something in spite of the evidence or believing in something when there is no evidence to support the belief in the first place!
BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF FAITH;
But this is not the Biblical definition of
faith. While it is true that God is a Spirit
and cannot be seen, it is not true that
there is no evidence to support the
existence of the unseen God. While we
may not see anyone throw a rock in a
pond, we may indeed see the ripples
that the rock created on the surface of
the water and come to the belief that
someone threw a rock into the pond on
the basis of this evidence.

The Christian life is more than a life of
blind trust. It is a life of rational
examination that challenges each of us
to evaluate the evidence, form a
conclusion and then share that
conclusion with the world around us.
Let’s examine the Biblical model of
evidential faith:
CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO USE THEIR MIND>>>>"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment." ( Matthew 22:37-38)

When we examine our world and the
evidence for the existence of God, we are worshipping God with our mind.it's either we love God with our mind or reject him, it's a choice.

CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO UNDERSTAND EVIDENCE>>>>Acts 17:31
31 because He has fixed a day in which
He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished PROOF
to all men by raising Him from the
dead.”
The Greek word used for "proof" in Acts
17:31 is "pistis". The word is derived
from "peitho" which is a Greek verb that
means "to convince by argument" that
something is either true or false.

CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO EXAMINE THEIR BELIEF>>>>1 Thessalonians
5:19-21
Do not quench the Spirit; do not
despise prophetic utterances. But
EXAMINE everything carefully; hold fast
to that which is good…
God wants us to know what we believe
and why we believe it. We’re not called to numbly trust everything that might be taught in our world today.Skepticism is important to the Christian
faith; skepticism causes us to examine
what we believe and search for the
evidence that confirms our beliefs. God
honors this kind of skepticism because
He knows that it leads to a deeper faith
in Him. There is a place for skepticism in the life of the Christian because it causes us to "examine the Scriptures daily".

CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO BE CONVINCED OF WHAT THEY BELIEVE>>>>2 Timothy 3:14
14 You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become CONVINCED of, knowing from whom you have learned them.
Conviction is the result of certainty, and
certainty is the result of evidential
confidence. We are called to be
convinced by mastering the evidence
that supports what we believe. The
Christians life is not one of "wishful
thinking" or "hope in the unreasonable". It is a life of certainty, grounded in the evidence.

CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO BE CASE MAKER>>>>1 Peter 3:15
15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your
hearts, always being ready to make a
defense to everyone who asks you to
give an account for the hope that is in
you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

Once we have examined the evidence
and have come to the conclusion that
Christianity is true, we are called to be
ready to make a strong defense for what
we believe.

IN CONCLUSION;
Christians can be "case makers" precisely because the Christian faith is an evidential faith. When we, as Christians, argue for the truth of the Christian Worldview, we are not sharing an opinion. There either is a God, or there is not. Jesus is that God, or He is not.
Salvation comes through Christ alone (as Jesus Himself maintained), or it does not. This is not a matter of opinion, personal preference or wishful thinking. The Christian faith is grounded in evidence that can be assessed and evaluated. The Christian faith is an evidential faith.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 8:23am On Feb 15, 2015
Happy Sunday friends.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by tartar9(m): 9:30am On Feb 15, 2015
and where is the 'evidence'

1 Like

Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 9:31am On Feb 15, 2015
tartar9:
and where is the 'evidence'
read the op.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by haffaze777(m): 11:25am On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
read the op.

what does bible say on how to bury our corpse? back it with biblical evidence and what to do with inheritance, how to share it?peace
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 12:19pm On Feb 15, 2015
haffaze777:

what does bible say on how to bury our corpse? back it with biblical evidence and what to do with inheritance, how to share it?peace
I don't know the points you are trying to prove here,but;

Genesis 49:29
Then he commanded them and said to
them, “I am to be gathered to my people; BURY me with my fathers in the CAVE that is in the FILD of Ephron the Hittite,

Romans 6:4
We were buried therefore with him by
baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

About inheritance read the parable of the prodigal son study it and understand.

Also mark12:7 say "But the tenants said to one another, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.'
The tenants knows that the first son get the inheritance that why they killed him.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12&version=KJV
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by haffaze777(m): 12:27pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
I don't know the points you are trying to prove here,but;

Genesis 49:29
Then he commanded them and said to
them, “I am to be gathered to my people; BURY me with my fathers in the CAVE that is in the FILD of Ephron the Hittite,

Romans 6:4
We were buried therefore with him by
baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

About inheritance read the parable of the prodigal son study it and understand.

Also mark12:7 say "But the tenants said to one another, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.'
The tenants knows that the first son get the inheritance that why they killed him.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12&version=KJV

thanks for d reply but I expect u to elaborate on how to share it if d its between many children,or is it d first son only dat will have it all
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 12:36pm On Feb 15, 2015
haffaze777:

thanks for d reply but I expect u to elaborate on how to share it if d its between many children,or is it d first son only dat will have it all
read genesis 48 and also the story of esau and Jacob.

Genesis 48 talk about how Jacob bless is children.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by haffaze777(m): 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
read genesis 48 and also the story of esau and Jacob.

Genesis 48 talk about how Jacob bless is children.

I will really appreciate it if u can paste it here for all to see
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
haffaze777:

I will really appreciate it if u can paste it here for all to see
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+49&version=GW
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by haffaze777(m): 1:03pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+49&version=GW

I don't know how dis correlate wit my question bro?
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 1:13pm On Feb 15, 2015
haffaze777:

I don't know how dis correlate wit my question bro?
you ask a question,how to divides inheritance plus biblical verse, and I supply it to you, what else do you want? Jacob has 12 son when he was about to die,he blessed the son I even went ahead and provide biblical verse were the son get the inheritance, Jesus parable, and the prodigal son. If you cannot reconcile all this, am sorry, that's all I've got. Thank you.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by ubijus: 1:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
@Op, I agree with you 100 percent on the MIND. Christianity is truly the religion of the mind. All the teachings of christ from love to purity centre on the mind. Luke 10:27 christ said we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our strength and all your mind see also Deuteronomy 6:5 and Mathew 5:28 Though we congregate in church buildings, the actual worship of God takes place in the mind. The mind is where the temple of God is within humans and it behooves on christians to develop their minds in other to have a better christian life/experience.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by haffaze777(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
you ask a question,how to divides inheritance plus biblical verse, and I supply it to you, what else do you want? Jacob has 12 son when he was about to die,he blessed the son I even went ahead and provide biblical verse were the son get the inheritance, Jesus parable, and the prodigal son. If you cannot reconcile all this, am sorry, that's all I've got. Thank you.

thanks den
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
ubijus:
@Op, I agree with you 100 percent on the MIND. Christianity is truly the religion of the mind. All the teachings of christ from love to purity centre on the mind. Luke 10:27 christ said we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our strength and all your mind see also Deuteronomy 6:5 and Mathew 5:28 Though we congregate in church buildings, the actual worship of God takes place in the mind. The mind is where the temple of God is within humans and it behooves on christians to develop their minds in other to have a better christian life/experience.
thank you for your wonderful contribution. Remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 1:42pm On Feb 15, 2015
OAM4J. Can you recommend this thread to homepage?
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 8:25pm On Feb 15, 2015
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by tola9ja: 8:40pm On Feb 15, 2015
CHRISTIAN FAITH IS BASE ON EVIDENCE

THE BIBLICAL EVIDENCE OF GOING TO CHURCH OF SUNDAY, CLAPPING DURING WORSHIP, WHERE JESUS SAY HE BROUGHT CHRISTIANITY,CHRISTMAS ,GOING TO JERUSALEM,WHERE JESUS CALL HIS FOLLOWER CHRISTIAN ?

[size=25pt]I MEAN BIBLICAL EVIDENCES NOT FABRICATION PLEASE
[/size]

1 Like

Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 9:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
tola9ja:

THE BIBLICAL EVIDENCE OF GOING TO CHURCH OF SUNDAY, CLAPPING DURING WORSHIP, WHERE JESUS SAY HE BROUGHT CHRISTIANITY,CHRISTMAS ,GOING TO JERUSALEM,WHERE JESUS CALL HIS FOLLOWER CHRISTIAN ?

[size=25pt]I MEAN BIBLICAL EVIDENCES NOT FABRICATION PLEASE
[/size]

read the op again and tell me what you understand,Christians are called to ask question and examine there faith and be fully convinced of the evidence giving.

But, this is not true with Islam. Allah and Muhammad discourage Muslims from asking questions. From infancy Muslims are groomed to abstain from questioning the tenents of Islam.

Surah 5:101-102: “O ye who believe!
Ask not questions about things
which if made plain to you, may
cause you trouble …Some people
before you did ask such questions,
and on that account lost their
faith.” (Yusuf Ali)

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 3,
Number 92:
Narrated Abu Musa: The Prophet was
asked about things which he did not
like, but when the questioners
insisted, the Prophet got angry.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by Skako(m): 9:08pm On Feb 15, 2015
Pls explain these
1 jesus fasted for 40days and night,but explain ur 40 days fasting

2 what is the name of cain and abel wives

3 did jesus dance or clapp

4 did jesus have church

5 hw to share orphans property

more no the road....
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by Skako(m): 9:17pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
read the op again and tell me what you understand,Christians are called to ask question and examine there faith and be fully convinced of the evidence giving.

But, this is not true with Islam. Allah and Muhammad discourage Muslims from asking questions. From infancy Muslims are groomed to abstain from questioning the tenents of Islam.

faith.” (Yusuf Ali)

Number 92:
this verse refers to those ppl that were TOO questioned

u can ask question according to the verse but TOO MUCH can cause him trouble
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
Skako:
this verse refers to those ppl that were TOO questioned

u can ask question according to the verse but TOO MUCH can cause him trouble
in Christianity, asking question has no limit, one can ask until he was fully convinced. Jesus has skeptic "Thomas" he ask question until he was fully convinced.

Why did Muhammad become angry at
those who asked him questions?
Why were people warned by Allah not
to ask questions?
How is that in Islam, questioning can
lead to losing one’s faith?
Does not this prove that even the right
answers can lead to losing one’s faith in
Islam?
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by tola9ja: 9:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:

faith.” (Yusuf Ali)

Number 92:

IN ALL WHAT YOU POSTED I DINT SEE THE STRAIGHT EVIDENCE FOR THESE THE BIBLICAL EVIDENCE OF GOING TO CHURCH OF SUNDAY, CLAPPING DURING WORSHIP, WHERE JESUS SAY HE BROUGHT CHRISTIANITY,CHRISTMAS ,GOING TO JERUSALEM,WHERE JESUS CALL HIS FOLLOWER CHRISTIAN ?

SOLVE IT FOR ME ONE BY ONE

1 Like

Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
Skako:
Pls explain these

4 did jesus have church

more no the road....
your number one question irrelevant,everybody knows it.

Can marry one of his sister,the bible say adam firstborn was Cain but never say the second born was abel, the bible only say the second SON was abel meaning there are girl in between Cain and abel. After Cain killed abel eve gave birth to seth when adam was 130 years,one of there sister must have gone to the east. Cain marry his sister, at that time the law of inces't has not been giving so it was not a theological problems,. They were in a state of perfection there genetic mutations has no defects.

We worship God in spirit and truth, the psalms of David talk about sing for joy in the lord and dance.

Read through the post,some one ask the same question and I provide biblical verse about inheritance.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 9:57pm On Feb 15, 2015
Skako:
Pls explain these

4 did jesus have church

more no the road....
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 10:36pm On Feb 15, 2015
tola9ja:

IN ALL WHAT YOU POSTED I DINT SEE THE STRAIGHT EVIDENCE FOR THESE THE BIBLICAL EVIDENCE OF GOING TO CHURCH OF SUNDAY, CLAPPING DURING WORSHIP, WHERE JESUS SAY HE BROUGHT CHRISTIANITY,CHRISTMAS ,GOING TO JERUSALEM,WHERE JESUS CALL HIS FOLLOWER CHRISTIAN ?

SOLVE IT FOR ME ONE BY ONE
about going to church on Sunday I promise to open a thread about it and invite you in.

Jesus did not preach religions,his mission was to reconciled us back to God.when Jesus say the word "OUR FATHER" is a universal word for all, when you say this word is like saying God is your father and we are brothers,God want to have a personal relationship with his creatures.When God created Adam, He created
him in a relationship with Himself. He
walked with him in the garden. When
Adam sinned, that relationship was
severed. The death that Adam died was
not a passing out of existence but a
divorce in his relationship with God.
Jesus is the second Adam, the new man,
the one who came to bring life were
death had reigned.

"In other religions the goal is to please
their god(s) enough to be accepted into
heaven" This is an erroneous assertion.example is Islam, if your Good deed outweigh your bad deed'God will accept you, but in Christianity, salvation is free.once you accepted Jesus Christ , you will not be judge, your righteousness will be accepted by God.

For Christmas read here https://www.nairaland.com/2042382/why-christians-should-celebrate-christmas.not
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by mmsen: 11:11pm On Feb 15, 2015
All this talk and not a shred of said 'evidence'.
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by johnw74: 11:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

We come to faith by hearing a Pastor preach from the Bible.
and we come to faith by reading the bible,
seek and you will find,
God gives us faith just for seeking Him,
He wants you to want Him.

Mat_7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 12:35am On Feb 16, 2015
mmsen:
All this talk and not a shred of said 'evidence'.

you miss the points,what the op is talking about is this;Christians are advice to question there faith and seek for answer,all the evidence are there in the bible, a bias book will never advice you to be more sceptical and ask question,abi? But the bible advice everyone should ask question,unlike the quran which forbid Muslims to question there belief.

I understand you are seeking for evidence out side the bible,here is one authentic evidence;

archaeologists have found first-
century dedications with the names
Jesus, Matthias and "Simon Bar-
Yonah" ("Peter son of Jonah"wink along with
testimonials that bear direct witness to
the Savior.
http://www.leaderu.com/theology/burialcave.html
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 8:16am On Feb 16, 2015
malvisguy212:

faith.” (Yusuf Ali)

Number 92:
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by tola9ja: 10:58am On Feb 16, 2015
malvisguy212:

you said jesus did not preach religion that means he no noting about Christianity?

U have not reply these CLAPPING DURING WORSHIP,,HOLY PILGRIMAGE TO JERUSALEM
Re: The Christian Faith Is Based Upon Evidence by malvisguy212: 7:28pm On Feb 16, 2015
tola9ja:

you said jesus did not preach religion that means he no noting about Christianity?

U have not reply these CLAPPING DURING WORSHIP,,HOLY PILGRIMAGE TO JERUSALEM
yes,jesus did not preach religion,it was the behaviour of the disciples,they behave like Christ, and the people nicknamed them Christian meaning Christ-like,Simon peter was the leader and he was one of Jesus disciple meaning he was a witnesses to All the message of Jesus Christ.
◄ Psalm 84:5 ►
What joy for those whose strength comes
from the LORD, who have set their minds
on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
◄ Psalm 98:4 ►
New International Version
Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with MUSIC;

New Living Translation
Shout to the LORD, all the earth; break
out in praise and SING for joy

How do you sing? Is not by clapping hands? I may not reply you anymore because this was not the reason I open this thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download “street Gospel Gyration” 2017 Mixtape By DJ Ernesty / Gay Church / Is Making Heaven As Difficult As People Make It Appear?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.