Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. (4851 Views)

Embedded Systems Tutorial For Beginners:experiment 3( Led Chaser And Rgb Led) / EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 / EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial:#include <module3.h>software And Hardware Tool Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 10:43am On Mar 02, 2015
Many people, students, hobbyist in the field of engineering or technology would have probably heard of the word “Embedded Systems” or “Microcontroller” and wonder what is it all about. An average Nigerian student studying computer science, computer engineering, electronics engineering, electrical engineering, telecommunications etc. rarely learn or go on net for practical research on how to build circuits and be creative in their field until when they want to do their final year project, that’s when they realize that the world of technology has gone far beyond the V=IR they are being taught in class. They want to download circuit diagrams and implement it but discover that more than 70% of construction projects approvable by their supervisor are one way or the other related to the use of Embedded system and thereby would need the knowledge of Microcontroller and Embedded systems development to achieve it.
I stand to be corrected, most universities, polytechnics and technical schools don’t teach Microcontrollers and Embedded systems well enough for the student to grab useful information they will need to implement their final year project. They teach the introduction and use obsolete microcontroller or microprocessors and use obsolete programming language, and at the end of the course, students are examined by designing a kindergarten circuit and writing programs on book that will never Run if it were to be compiled and simulated. These lecturers that don’t teach embedded systems well enough will later be giving very hard project topics to students as final year project. The student who probably complains of not having the technical know-how to achieve the project would probably be told by their supervisor to go and make research or some would encourage them to contract it out and tell them to learn how to defend the project. Can You Imagine!... An higher institution that is supposed to be a research institution offering solutions to companies and inventing new things, students are going outside to contract projects to some uneducated technician at Alaba, Oshodi and the likes. The student ends up writing a shabby report because he is writing a book about what he or she doesn’t know and thereby do a lot of plagiarism by copying and pasting someone else’s work and having up to 50 references which some are fake, they virtually write nothing from their brain because they don’t have anything technical up there. Infact, so many students that has graduated ought to do their NYSC in jail for plagiarism, and also some lecturer that are not interested in the research but using students to write journals for promotion.
Come to think of it, those people that are gurus in embedded systems and microcontroller programming that you contract projects to are not super human, they figured it out too. Some went to learn it from existing gurus, and some were patient enough to learn from books, tutorials, internet and also by try-an-error. Which ever case, the endpoint is having knowledge, and the earlier you start learning the better for you because the world is now going digital.
You that know how to design and construct any type of discrete circuits, analog circuits, digital circuits, it time for you to go flexible and dynamic by learning embedded systems because that’s where the world is moving now. Finite state machine (FSM) or discrete analog and digital circuit has limited functionality and you use so many circuit components to achieve a very small task or application but using a stored program machine (SPM) or embedded system can achieve a whole lot with a finger size circuit.
You a fresh student in school or even in your final year studying electronics engineering or computer engineering or electrical etc, I urge you to start learning how to design and construct and develop embedded systems as this will help you achieve your final year project easily and also make money from the lazy ones who cannot go extra mile than reading and passing exams.
You a graduate of engineering that is looking for Job, its high time job look for you and its high time you be an entrepreneur. If you are not in electronics/computer/electrical line, get skills related to your field. But believe you me, computer engineering, computer science, and embedded systems is one of the most lucrative job in engineering you can practice on your own and use your one room apartment as a workshop and none of your neighbor will be disturbed.
You electronics engineer and electrical engineer working and earning salary, its time to invest your spare time and money in embedded systems. Your employer will only pay you a peanut of what they actually earn, no employer can overpay you. Even if you work in a multinational company, they wont pay you to get richer than them, and they can sack you at any time except you are indispensable, and the only way to be indispensable is to have a broad and updated knowledge of your field and be exceptional. Also have another source of income, something you can fall back on if anything happens to your Job.
You practicing electrical technician or technologist, its time to get flexible also. Apart from running electrical fittings and installing electronics appliances, you can start designing and constructing fire alarm systems, security systems, home automation systems, tracking systems for valuable equipments etc. You can build these gadgets yourself and make more money
Gadgets that involves embedded systems imported from abroad is very difficult to repair especially when the progrmmed chip is damaged. This is because no manufacturer will give out their software to enable technician change the chip and reprogram it. This lead to changing of a whole board instead of changing of a single chip. So we need to start developing our own gadget here in Nigeria that the manufacturer will be nearby and gadgets will be easily repaired.

To this effect I take it upon myself to teach people, students, hobbyist, and engineers in the area of embedded systems especially using microcontrollers. I will be giving tutorials out for free circuit, code and methodology just to encourage someone out there, I am committed to blessing someone’s life practically. I will be giving links to where you can download useful softwares and tutorials on net.
There is also solution to the major problem or challenges electronics hobbyist in Nigeria is facing which is getting electronics componets, tools, equipment and modules related to microcontroller and embedded systems. Some components like resistors and capacitors are easy to get around but components like 7 segment displays, LCD display, GSM module, Ultrasonic module, Fire sensor module, Arduino, oscilloscope, quality multimeters, etc are very hard to get and this problem discourages students and hobbyist and scare them away from practicing and doing some experiments.
Universities and polytechnics too are not helping matters because most don’t have these components in the so called modern laboratory and few that has them don’t allow students to touch them let alone giving them for experiment. You can order components online at sparkfun, alibaba, aliexpress, adafruits, hub360 etc. these companies are located abroad except hub360 which is here in Nigeria and supplies any hard-to-get component anywhere in Nigeria. They are reliable, they supply quality components for secondary schools, universities, polytechnics, technical schools, organizations, students, hobbyist etc and have good customer relation. They have embedded system engineers that are ready to help you if you have any problem or challenge concerning any component you buy from them. You can check out this site and see for yourself. www.hub360.com.ng
I use them always and get components at my doorstep, most times, I am always busy reading, performing one experiment or the other so no time to go to market to get component and when I go sometimes, I end up not getting all the exact components I read about online and need to perform my next experiment so what’s the essence of going. But hub360 will get you all the components at cheap price and you pay on delivery. They have hub360 starter kits which are groups components carefully selected by their engineers for beginners who don’t know which components to start with.

I will be doing tutorials in modules and providing links to sites and books you can download useful materials for more information.

Watch out for my next post which will be an introduction to Embedded systems. You will be learning it is, what it entails, where they are used etc.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Savotech: 11:36am On Mar 02, 2015
Wooooow gaussian where have you been. U r the kind person we need here in this technology section. You gave the best analogy so far on my post about the difference between capacitor and battery.
You are a great practical teacher. Keep it up and never leave us, we need more of your tutorials.

2 Likes

Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 12:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
@savotech... Ok
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by ade2008(m): 6:26pm On Mar 02, 2015
are you here to sell your product or teach. Waiting to learn . hope you will not be selfish in hiding details about this embedded programming.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by acorntree(m): 6:33pm On Mar 02, 2015
Which programming language are you good in for embedded system. You can also link this thread to https://www.nairaland.com/1988764/electronics-circuit-design-concept-implementation/ for hardware design
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 9:38pm On Mar 02, 2015
acorntree:
Which programming language are you good in for embedded system. You can also link this thread to https://www.nairaland.com/1988764/electronics-circuit-design-concept-implementation/ for hardware design

Woow arcontree, i saw your posts, you are a gem in this field. I hail o...
Let's do this together and add value to people's life. And this goes out to any other guru out there also, share your knowledge and encourage someone out there.

Create new topics if u have a different topic, subtopic, or any contribution worthy of notice and dont post entirely new things on already long thread because more than 50% of nairalander dont view the next page especially when they are already bored with various comments and contributions.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 12:42am On Mar 03, 2015
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by dcole73: 4:41pm On Sep 24, 2015
Hello,

For those engineers in Lagos hoping to own an oscilloscope, you should read this.

I am presently offering to order some oscilloscopes. Please view this link and contact me if interested.

https://www.nairaland.com/2622043/need-oscilloscope-please-see-order
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 25, 2015
lets keep the thread rolling.
I just started with embedded systems recently.
I do have the arduino UNO but later i learnt that Arduino is not a good learning platform for those that desire to go into Mechatronics/Robotics as a career.
So i ordered for AVR programmer.
It is yet to arrive.

I just use my arduino UNO to play around projects.
I dont wanna waste time on arduino.

I use www.instructables.com.
They got lotsa embedded systems projects for arduino,AVR(atmel),PIC, ranging from mechatronics to robotics and electronics and so on.

I also use www.eleccircuit.com
this was where i built foundation in practical electronics.

Cc gaussian,savotech,acorntree,dekatron.

2 Likes

Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Dekatron(m): 10:32pm On Sep 25, 2015
sportsmaster:
lets keep the thread rolling.
I just started with embedded systems recently.
I do have the arduino UNO but later i learnt that Arduino is not a good learning platform for those that desire to go into Mechatronics/Robotics as a career.
So i ordered for AVR programmer.
It is yet to arrive.

I just use my arduino UNO to play around projects.
I dont wanna waste time on arduino.

I use www.instructables.com.
They got lotsa embedded systems projects for arduino,AVR(atmel),PIC, ranging from mechatronics to robotics and electronics and so on.

I also use www.eleccircuit.com
this was where i built foundation in practical electronics.

Cc gaussian,savotech,acorntree,dekatron.

definately, Arduino is NOT for REAL PROFESSIONALS. You build your own MICROCONTROLLER BOARD to suit the specific project AS A PROFESSIONAL. Arduino is mainly for students/hobbyists.

Lol, Arduino, actually has an ATMEL family microcontroller.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 10:51pm On Sep 26, 2015
Thanks for the observation, i will still resume tutorial, just that nairaland is putting me off by banning me, i cant upload a picture between text, i cant create a table, i cant just write with msword then copy it here without me needing to spend much time formatting again. A whole lot of put offs. Planning on creating a small website like a blog which i will post tutorials, ebooks, and links to useful engineering software online. Untill then... If you have any questions, you can post it then me and my other ogas will find solution by God's grace.

3 Likes

Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 28, 2015
m.instructables.com/id/810-LED-Matrix-with-4017/?ALLSTEPS
I am currently working on this project. The soldering is very difficult. I am just using it to keep myself occupied till my AVR programmer arrives.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 28, 2015
www.m.instructables.com/id/810-LED-Matrix-with-4017/?ALLSTEPS

I am currently working on this project.
The soldering is very difficult.
I am just using it to keep myself occupied till my AVR programmer arrives.

Cc Dekatron,acorntree,gaussian.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 12:58pm On Sep 28, 2015
sportsmaster:
www.m.instructables.com/id/810-LED-Matrix-with-4017/?ALLSTEPS

I am currently working on this project.
The soldering is very difficult.
I am just using it to keep myself occupied till my AVR programmer arrives.

Cc Dekatron,acorntree,gaussian.

Just continue the work, practice makes perfect. Led matrix soldering is always tedious so thats why led matrix modules is used.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by karacte111(m): 10:02pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hi, i'm a new commer here,both at nairaland and this section.
I'm an 100 level student of Adeniran college of education at lagos studying elect/elect.
I love electronics and not just for the sake of certificate. I dream of having a big firm of electronics but i can't even identify the simple electronic components. All they teach us at school is just theory. I was very happy when i fortunately found this thread. I don't think i will be able to come back here once i exit ma opera,it's still hard for me to figure out things at nairaland.

In summary,i want to learn electronics from the basis and i wish to have your number to contact u,your fazbuk i.d just any means of getting back to you.

Pls help me ..... 08099488165
hamzatkudus@gmail.com
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 9:33am On Sep 30, 2015
karacte111:
Hi, i'm a new commer here,both at nairaland and this section.
I'm an 100 level student of Adeniran college of education at lagos studying elect/elect.
I love electronics and not just for the sake of certificate. I dream of having a big firm of electronics but i can't even identify the simple electronic components. All they teach us at school is just theory. I was very happy when i fortunately found this thread. I don't think i will be able to come back here once i exit ma opera,it's still hard for me to figure out things at nairaland.
In summary,i want to learn electronics from the basis and i wish to have your number to contact u,your fazbuk i.d just any means of getting back to you.
Pls help me ..... 08099488165
hamzatkudus@gmail.com

GOOD!

I like your passion,many of your colleague wont think this way, they will want the institution to give them everything, to impact 1960 knowledge in them that is not relevant in this modern days.

I will contact you on your email or phone number but for the main time, you can start your career by visiting this practical oriented website, www.electronicsclub.info
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by stan4guy6(m): 2:40am On Oct 01, 2015
exactly my type I love you
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by karacte111(m): 5:27pm On Oct 01, 2015
Thanks gausian !
Thanks stan !
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by olufemit: 11:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
Dear guassian,
I want to appreciate your effort in writing this to encourage Nigerian youths to be vast in embedded system. However, i like to draw your attention and also correct a misleading information in your write up "Finite state machine (FSM) or discrete analog and digital circuit has limited functionality and you use so many circuit components to achieve a very small task or application but using a stored program machine (SPM) or embedded system can achieve a whole lot with a finger size circuit." A finite-state machine (FSM) is a mathematical model of computation used to simplify complex design in automation. comparing it with discrete analog and digital or embedded system is sending wrong information to beginners. So try and remove FSM from the list.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by guassian: 6:39pm On Mar 04, 2017
olufemit:
Dear guassian,
I want to appreciate your effort in writing this to encourage Nigerian youths to be vast in embedded system. However, i like to draw your attention and also correct a misleading information in your write up "Finite state machine (FSM) or discrete analog and digital circuit has limited functionality and you use so many circuit components to achieve a very small task or application but using a stored program machine (SPM) or embedded system can achieve a whole lot with a finger size circuit." A finite-state machine (FSM) is a mathematical model of computation used to simplify complex design in automation. comparing it with discrete analog and digital or embedded system is sending wrong information to beginners. So try and remove FSM from the list.

Thanks a lot for that observation, it was actually a mistake. What i intended to mean by "finite state machine" was discrete analog or digital component.

2 Likes

Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Prinzecharlez(m): 1:45pm On Sep 29, 2018
Hi friends, can a non engineering graduate pursue a career in this field and be employed if he is really good at this.
But he has a BSc not BEng.
I'm thinking of delving into this field
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by olufemit: 8:03pm On Sep 29, 2018
Yes you can.the society today is dynamic.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Prinzecharlez(m): 5:19am On Sep 30, 2018
olufemit:
Yes you can.the society today is dynamic.
Alright, I'm really scared. Imagining my CV saying a graduate of geology and I'm here applying for a job in an electronic firm
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Billzy: 11:41am On Jan 05, 2021
Wow, I later found an information about embedded systems after all these while.

Pls I need your help,I don't even know where to start,am a fresher, an undergraduate student studying computer engineering i loves hardware and building,but I don't know what and how to do it,am just clueless I don't my story to follow @guassian description

Please help!!
Cc Everyone.
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 2:13pm On Jan 05, 2021
cool
Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by Marshall2001: 7:05am On Jan 23, 2021
Billzy:
Wow, I later found an information about embedded systems after all these while.

Pls I need your help,I don't even know where to start,am a fresher, an undergraduate student studying computer engineering i loves hardware and building,but I don't know what and how to do it,am just clueless I don't my story to follow @guassian description

Please help!!
Cc Everyone.

Dm on WhatsApp 07016196255

1 Like

Re: Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. by priyankayadav: 12:34pm On Sep 08, 2023
Embedded systems represent the future of electronics and computer engineering, seamlessly integrating hardware and software for specific tasks. These compact, energy-efficient systems are vital in autonomous vehicles, smart appliances, medical devices, and more. They empower innovation by enabling sophisticated functionality in an increasingly interconnected world.
if you are looking Embedded Systems course I recommended The IoT Academy It provides the best digital marketing course in Noida and many courses like Machine Learning, Embedded Systems, Full Stack Java Development, and the Internet of Things.

(1) (Reply)

Wts: Fairly Used Hp 6735s Laptop Pc With Multilink Blue-broadband 3g N60,000 / African American Women Inventors / NASA'S Amazing Internet Speed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.