Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,118 members, 7,814,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section (4070 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 19, 2015
From what I can see Nairaland already has sections which provide spaces for community, such as the Muslim section, which they use to effect projects that actually touch lives. Looking outside Nairaland, other online forums such as Reddit embrace the idea of forming online communities. Going by these two things, that such an online community already exists on Nairaland, and that online communities are very functional and positive concepts, I hope we can form an Igbo or Igbo Language section on Nairaland.

Calling on ezeagu, ChinenyeN, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu !

I have mentioned all of you so that we can discuss as a community to see if we agree that having an Igbo Language section is desirable, and if so, decide on the steps we can take to actualize it. It's worth noting that I painstakingly got your monikers from threads already organized as communities, namely:

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady by agabaI23
https://www.nairaland.com/19138/igbo-kwenu-kwenu-kwezo-nu

Few Pics From Imo State by PROUDIGBO
https://www.nairaland.com/1054852/few-pics-imo-state

Anambra State Light Of The Nation,economic And Political Power House Of The East by FKO81
https://www.nairaland.com/1930337/anambra-state-light-nationeconomic-political

Enugu, The Pride Of The East by spyder880
https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east

Order of the thread
-We need volunteers who will argue in favor and those who will argue against an Igbo Language section
-After this introductory post a poll will be set up, which can be used to judge those who are for and those who are against an Igbo language section.
-Another post immediately after that will be left vacant where our decisions and steps to take will be listed, if we agree to move forward with advocating for an Igbo Language section. Also it will be used to indicate when those arguing in favor or against an Igbo language section will be making their submissions.
-If you feel this is a bad idea please kindly state so if you want to, or otherwise hold your peace. I advice that trollers should simply be ignored.
-If you feel this is a good Idea and want to put down steps on how to actualize it, or ideas for how an Igbo language section would be run, please title your suggestion in emboldened letters.
-Finally I am calling on volunteers who will submit arguments in favor of an Igbo Language section, and also on volunteers who will submit arguments opposing the idea.

Till we get volunteers, which hopefully we will have, I advise us all to visit this link: http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/DCS/article/view/2934 , download the article by Ani Kelechi Johnmary and have a read.

I also leave us with an excerpt:

[b]"Igbo people are increasingly engaging in the progressive race towards cultural marginalization and geometric linguistic endangerment. This study is centred on cultural marginalization theory of language. “This frequently happens when indigenous populations, in order to achieve a higher social status, adopt the cultural and linguistic traits of a people who have come to dominate them through colonisation, conquest, or invasion. This is the most common cause of language endangerment” (Austin and Sallabank, 2011). When the people gradually neglect and refuse to promote official and unofficial communication dynamics in their language, consciously or unconsciously, they are culturally marginalizing their language. This is the situation found across the length and breath of the Igbo nation. Unfortunately, some Igbo people have paid with their breath for neglecting their language. Anyaegbuna (2012:30) showed that “following the wanton repetitive killings of Ndigbo in Northern Nigeria, some aggrieved Igbo youths made reprisal attacks on Northerners at Nkpor junction and some other areas. They mounted roadblocks and screened vehicles for Northerners. The basis of screening was the ability to understand and speak Igbo. It was a disaster that a few Igbo youths were killed needlessly, because they either did not understand or could not speak Igbo fluently; they were mistaken for Northerners seeking camouflage”. What a bad scenario that calls for Igbo revival. The Igbo language revival scholars must therefore arise in the “race against time” (Krauss, 2007) towards the revival of our language. Revising of Igbo “language and culture shift” (Fishman, 1991) needs patriotic attention and urgency. This could be attained through the cultural revival of the Igbo ethno linguistic vitality (Ehala, 2009), if all and sundry within the Igbo nation and beyond can gradually and progressively reduce their high level of social violence against the language."[/b]

Finally, i'd like to give an example of a language, Cornish, which has been revived and has gone from labeled as extinct to being officially recognized as a minority language in the UK. So it's possible to revive a language and to bring it to prominence. I believe that as a people we can bring Igbo language to prominence, and I believe it starts with little things like an Igbo language section. This is important to me because I can't speak enough Igbo to sustain a one minute discussion because of the reasons mentioned in Ani Kelechi's article and I consider this a shame. I plan to learn in the East by serving in the NYSC there but before then a thriving Igbo community online seems like a good place to start.

5 Likes

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 19, 2015
THE POLL SHOWING SUPPORT FOR AN IGBO LANGUAGE SECTION

Click share to show support, Like to show you do not support

8 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 19, 2015
DECISIONS SO FAR:

NONE

SUBMISSIONS

It's no longer a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when' NL will become a dynamic user/community-driven forum. Shall we wait or ask it of NL now? by ChinenyeN
@5:45pm on Pg (1)

EXPECTED SUBMISSION

Volunteer: B2mario
Time: Undecided
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Mynd44: 1:27am On Apr 19, 2015
*grabs seat*

Now where be the fighters?

Musiliu, get me some popcorn and a Siberian standard Pepsi
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by bigfrancis21: 1:53am On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:
From what I can see Nairaland already has sections which provide spaces for community, such as the Muslim section, which they use to effect projects that actually touch lives. Looking outside Nairaland, other online forums such as Reddit embrace the idea of forming online communities. Going by these two things, that such an online community already exists on Nairaland, and that online communities are very functional and positive concepts, I hope we can form an Igbo or Igbo Language section on Nairaland.

Calling on ezeagu, ChinenyeN, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

I have mentioned all of you so that we can discuss as a community to see if we agree that having an Igbo Language section is desirable, and if so, decide on the steps we can take to actualize it. It's worthy to note that I painstakingly got your monikers from threads already organized as communities, namely:

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady by agabaI23

Anambra State Light Of The Nation,economic And Political Power House Of The East by FKO81

Order of the thread
-We need volunteers who will argue in favor and those who will argue against an Igbo Language section
-After this introductory post a poll will be set up, which can be used to judge those who are for and those who are against an Igbo language section.
-Another post immediately after that will be left vacant where our decisions and steps to take will be listed, if we agree to move forward with advocating for an Igbo Language section. Also it will be used to indicate when those arguing in favor or against an Igbo language section will be making their submissions.
-If you feel this is a bad idea please kindly state so if you want to, or otherwise hold your peace. I advice that trollers should simply be ignored.
-If you feel this is a good Idea and want to put down steps on how to actualize it, or ideas for how an Igbo language section would be run, please title your suggestion in emboldened letters.
-Finally I am calling on volunteers who will submit arguments in favor of an Igbo Language section, and also on volunteers who will submit arguments opposing the idea.

Till we get volunteers, which hopefully we will have, I advise us all to visit this link: http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/DCS/article/view/2934 , download the article by Ani Kelechi Johnmary and have a read.

[b]"Igbo people are increasingly engaging in the progressive race towards cultural marginalization and geometric linguistic endangerment. This study is centred on cultural marginalization theory of language. “This frequently happens when indigenous populations, in order to achieve a higher social status, adopt the cultural and linguistic traits of a people who have come to dominate them through colonisation, conquest, or invasion. This is the most common cause of language endangerment” (Austin and Sallabank, 2011). When the people gradually neglect and refuse to promote official and unofficial communication dynamics in their language, consciously or unconsciously, they are culturally marginalizing their language. This is the situation found across the length and breath of the Igbo nation. Unfortunately, some Igbo people have paid with their breath for neglecting their language. Anyaegbuna (2012:30) showed that “following the wanton repetitive killings of Ndigbo in Northern Nigeria, some aggrieved Igbo youths made reprisal attacks on Northerners at Nkpor junction and some other areas. They mounted roadblocks and screened vehicles for Northerners. The basis of screening was the ability to understand and speak Igbo. It was a disaster that a few Igbo youths were killed needlessly, because they either did not understand or could not speak Igbo fluently; they were mistaken for Northerners seeking camouflage”. What a bad scenario that calls for Igbo revival. The Igbo language revival scholars must therefore arise in the “race against time” (Krauss, 2007) towards the revival of our language. Revising of Igbo “language and culture shift” (Fishman, 1991) needs patriotic attention and urgency. This could be attained through the cultural revival of the Igbo ethno linguistic vitality (Ehala, 2009), if all and sundry within the Igbo nation and beyond can gradually and progressively reduce their high level of social violence against the language."[/b]

Finally, i'd like to give an example of a language, Cornish, which has been revived and has gone from labeled as extinct to being officially recognized as a minority language in the UK. So it's possible to revive a language and to bring it to prominence. I believe that as a people we can bring Igbo language to prominence, and I believe it starts with little things like an Igbo language section. This is important to me because I can't speak enough Igbo to sustain a one minute discussion because of the reasons mentioned in Ani Kelechi's article and I consider this a shame. I plan to learn in the East by serving in the NYSC there but before then a thriving Igbo community online seems like a good place to start.

I understand your plight and inability to communicate in Igbo fluently but practice is the key. I use myself as an example. I was not raised speaking Igbo. My parents raised us speaking English and once we gained mastery of English, my mom switched to speaking Igbo with us. However, I did not begin speaking Igbo until my final year in the university when I willingly decided to start speaking. You see, understanding and speaking a language are two different things. I could understand, read and write Igbo fluently in secondary school, except speaking. Initially I wouldn't converse beyond a minute or two without switching to English but today I am just like any native speaker. Like they say, practise makes perfect, and it took me only 2 years to be fluent.

The problem with non-speaking Igbo youths today is that they are not willing to even try speaking the language. Many acknowledge their inability to speak and wish that they knew how to speak, but yet don't make voluntary efforts to speak.

As for an Igbo language section on Nairaland, there are many Igbo language threads on nairaland you can learn words and sentences from. However, it is not the best way of learning to speak a language due to lack of actual word pronunciation. The best way to learn is by surrounding yourself with Igbo-speaking people, listening to them as they speak and repeating in Igbo! I can't overemphasize the importance of actual speaking. One wouldn't wish to learn to speak a language but yet does not attempt to speak. Just as you would want to learn spanish and start with pronunciation of words, so would you start by speaking Igbo if you want to learn it.

One way that helped me when I began speaking was by watching Igbo language movies. We have many of them on Youtube and believe you me, the movies only are enough if you want to start speaking Igbo.

Goodluck and hopefully in a few months time, you would have been better than you are today.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 2:02am On Apr 19, 2015
^^^bigfrancis21 The Idea i'm promoting is not about me learning Igbo. It's about a section where threads and posts, everything (or most of it) is done in Igbo. Where Igbo stories, and igbo videos, music, news, etc are shared, and even where the threads you've talked about could be located.
Thanks for your encouragement though smiley, your points are noted musing2.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Ishilove: 2:08am On Apr 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I understand your plight and inability to communicate in Igbo fluently but practice is the key. I use myself as an example. I was not raised speaking Igbo. My parents raised us speaking English and once we gained mastery of English, my mom switched to speaking Igbo with us. However, I did not begin speaking Igbo until my final year in the university when I willingly decided to start speaking. You see, understanding and speaking a language are two different things. I could understand, read and write Igbo fluently in secondary school, except speaking. Initially I wouldn't converse beyond a minute or two without switching to English but today I am just like any native speaker. Like they say, practise makes perfect, and it took me only 2 years to be fluent.

The problem with non-speaking Igbo youths today is that they are not willing to even try speaking the language. Many acknowledge their inability to speak and wish that they knew how to speak, but yet don't make voluntary efforts to speak.

As for an Igbo language section on Nairaland, there are many Igbo language threads on nairaland you can learn words and sentences from. However, it is not the best way of learning to speak a language due to lack of actual word pronunciation. The best way to learn is by surrounding yourself with Igbo-speaking people, listening to them as they speak and repeating in Igbo! I can't overemphasize the importance of actual speaking. One wouldn't wish to learn to speak a language but yet does not attempt to speak. Just as you would want to learn spanish and start with pronunciation of words, so would you start by speaking Igbo if you want to learn it.

One way that helped me when I began speaking was by watching Igbo language movies. We have many of them on Youtube and believe you me, the movies only are enough if you want to start speaking Igbo.

Goodluck and hopefully in a few months time, you would have been better than you are today.
You are very correct, especially about the movie part. While I and my sibs were born, raised and currently reside in a Yoruba speaking state, we still can't effectively communicate except for my elder sis who is the most fluent in Yoruba because she is a huge fan of African Magic Yoruba channel.
She understands and speaks, while I and my other sibs only understand but can't speak.

So yes, I agree totally with you.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by tonychristopher: 4:19am On Apr 19, 2015
Ok but we hav igbo thread
bigfrancis21:

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by bigfrancis21: 4:26am On Apr 19, 2015
tonychristopher:
Ok but we hav igbo thread

Yea, I said that before.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 9:10am On Apr 19, 2015
Nna,I understand. Indeed, we need an igbo section like romance and politics, oh ha! Where we can gather and discuss issues that we all will benefit from. What we have is igbo forum. I grew up in a yoruba dominated area, I wrote yoruba in my exams, infact,I was surprised when I contested for miss igbo in kwara stare and became d runners up. Now I can form words in igbo though not perfect but better than nothing. Ishilove nwanem nwanyi,biko make it possible, let's sell igbo language to d world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 19, 2015
@bigfrancis21, and tonychristopher it seems you guys are not interested in the idea since there is already an Igbo forum, but don't you find an Igbo forum limiting in the amount of content that can be shared, and the discussions that can take place?

If your answers are no, are either of you interested in submitting a short write up on why an Igbo forum is okay, and removes the need for an Igbo language section?

Asadike welcome cheesy, I completely agree with you. Are you interested in submitting a write up in favour of having an Igbo language section..such as one on the advantages of an Igbo language section?
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Mynd44: 9:57am On Apr 19, 2015
asadike:
Nna,I understand. Indeed, we need an igbo section like romance and politics, oh ha! Where we can gather and discuss issues that we all will benefit from. What we have is igbo forum. I grew up in a yoruba dominated area, I wrote yoruba in my exams, infact,I was surprised when I contested for miss igbo in kwara stare and became d runners up. Now I can form words in igbo though not perfect but better than nothing. Ishilove nwanem nwanyi,biko make it possible, let's sell igbo language to d world.
You forget the trouble that will be created from creating an Igbo section. There is still backlash over the Islam section sef
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

You forget the trouble that will be created from creating an Igbo section. There is still backlash over the Islam section sef

I've considered that. At the end of the day though I doubt an Islamic section negatively affected anyone on Nairaland, but I'm sure it positively affects the Muslims on Nairaland.
Also if someone volunteers to write against such a section (Igbo language section) I'm sure it's a point that will be mentioned, and from there those writing for it can show us if there's a way about it.
If it all ends without concrete reasons to support an Igbo language section, or there is disinterest then this thread is shut down and everyone forgets about it.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Mynd44: 10:21am On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:

I've considered that. At the end of the day though I doubt an Islamic section negatively affected anyone on Nairaland, but I'm sure it positively affects the Muslims on Nairaland.
Also if someone volunteers to write against such a section I'm sure it's a point that will be mentioned, from there those writing for it can show us if there's a way about it.
If it all ends without concrete reasons to support an Igbo language section, or there is disinterest then this thread is shut down and everyone forgets about it.
Before you go far, here is a little insight.

Creating the section is not hard work but when an Igbo section comes, a Yoruba one must follow then you must have an Hausa one, then Ijaw, Tiv etc. Where will it stop?
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:
@bigfrancis21, and tonychristopher it seems you guys are not interested in the idea since there is already an Igbo forum, but don't you find an Igbo forum limiting in the amount of content that can be shared, and the discussions that can take place?

If your answers are no, are either of you interested in submitting a short write up on why an Igbo forum is okay, and removes the need for an Igbo language section?

Asadike welcome cheesy, I completely agree with you. Are you interested in submitting a write up in favour of having an Igbo language section..such as one on the advantages of an Igbo language section?
I would have loved to but d mods aren't buying our idea.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

Creating the section is not hard work but when an Igbo section comes, a Yoruba one must follow then you must have an Hausa one, then Ijaw, Tiv etc. Where will it stop?
then create for d 3 major tribes in nigeria
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

I'm fairly certain it will not result in an unending trend of language sections, mainly because a community would have to be organized and come together to be able to request for one in the first place, and I don't see more than 3 or 4 organized language communities on Nairaland.

Coming together would show genuine interest on their part and not bad belle interest like I suppose is the case with the Christians on Nairaland, who basically have the whole religion section to themselves, but some of whom want a section specifically labelled Christian.

Now. Have you considered that it could be a good trend to have various language sections on Nairaland?
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 19, 2015
asadike:
I would have loved to but d mods aren't buying our idea.

If I were a mod looking at this thread right now I also wouldn't buy the idea, so I believe we need to show interest as a group first.

After showing interest then discussing with the mods should yield positive results.

*modified*
So will you change your mind about that submission? The reason I'm keen on this is different minds will consider things one could never have. You may have very good reasons to have a language section which no one has considered.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Mynd44: 10:42am On Apr 19, 2015
asadike:
then create for d 3 major tribes in nigeria
Then you are discriminating against the "Minorities" and setting yourself up to be called Tribalist.

Na so terrorism dey start
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Mynd44: 10:44am On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:

I'm fairly certain it will not result in an unending trend of language sections, mainly because a community would have to be organized and come together to be able to request for one in the first place, and I don't see more than 3 or 4 organized language communities on Nairaland.

Coming together would show genuine interest on their part and not bad belle interest like I suppose is the case with the Christians on Nairaland, who basically have the whole religion section to themselves, but some of whom want a section specifically labelled Christian.

Now. Have you considered that it could be a good trend to have various language sections on Nairaland?
Still throws up the accusation of you discriminating against minorities.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 10:47am On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

Then you are discriminating against the "Minorities" and setting yourself up to be called Tribalist.

no dear. U guys opened a section for Muslims where we have world largest terrorists.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Mynd44: 10:50am On Apr 19, 2015
asadike:
no dear. U guys opened a section for Muslims where we have world largest terrorists.
Less than intelligent comments like this is why the Muslim section was created.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

Still throws up the accusation of you discriminating against minorities.

But how so? Discrimination would be if an Igbo language section is created based on certain requirements, but the same requirements are not applied to other language groups and this prevents their sections from being created.

Since the requirements will be applied by mods, it is them who have the power to discriminate, not us. So I think we should leave the problem of deciding how to be fair in this to them. The best we can do is give them our advice.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 11:11am On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

Less than intelligent comments like this is why the Muslim section was created.
I see
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 19, 2015
Again calling on ezeagu, ChinenyeN, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

Anyone interested in giving either of the submissions:

1) An Igbo forum (thread) is adequate. It rules out the need for an Igbo Language section.

2) The advantages of having an Igbo language section on Nairaland.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by ezeagu(m): 1:03pm On Apr 19, 2015
I think there should be a completely separate Igbo language forum.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by OreMI22: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:

Calling on ezeagu, ChinenyeN, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

I have mentioned all of you so that we can discuss as a community to see if we agree that having an Igbo Language section is desirable, and if so, decide on the steps we can take to actualize it. It's worth noting that I painstakingly got your monikers from threads already organized as communities, namely:

Order of the thread

An Igbo language section is not only desirable but imperative. We should have it.
Google translate have been improving their Igbo translation skill , it will be a useful tool for those willing to learn Igbo language.

3 Likes

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 1:50pm On Apr 19, 2015
OreMI22:

An Igbo language section is not only desirable but imperative. We should have it.
Google translate have been improving their Igbo translation skill , it will be a useful tool for those willing to learn Igbo language.

cheesy .Seriously, Google but not Nairaland. The Irony

*modified*
Oremi22 I really hope you can agree to write something, of course of your own length but not too long, on the advantages of having an Igbo language section.

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Tinyemeka(m): 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2015
Mynd44:

I want to quote an example, though you might not agree with me.

How many Nigerian language Africa Magic channels are there?

2 Likes

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Tinyemeka(m): 2:05pm On Apr 19, 2015
I am all for the creation of an Igbo language section.

NL sections serve the purpose of actively promoting the ideas for which there were created.
Autos for anything cars. Be it maintenance, repairs, sales. Likewise Tech market, fashion, etc.

The section (composed of user-submitted threads) will build on itself. We share like minds and ideologies so there will not be the wide incidences of antogonisms experienced in the more open sections (which I'm sure the would be moderator may be trying to avoid).

Once again, I fully support the creation of Igbo language section.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Caracta(f): 2:27pm On Apr 19, 2015
Interesting...
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Ikengawo: 3:30pm On Apr 19, 2015
Musing2. Im ready to fight for this cause, sign me up! Let me know what to do next #orueast #nwaafor

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The History Of Ikwerre People / Two Questions On Igbo's & Ijaw / Are Ibaji And Oturukpo People Bilingual?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.