Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Help For A Script - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Help For A Script (899 Views)

Script Writting ( How Much Can One Sell A Script) / Help Me Write A Script. / Need A Script Writing Format. Someone Please Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help For A Script by Akposb(m): 8:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
I am an aspiring script writer. Just finished writing one but I hope its just okay for it to be used. I have read just one textbook on it which is a foreign one.

The total amount of pages on Ms word is 29 pages. Is this enough to run as a film for 90 minutes at least. I would appreciate some other requirements. Thanks in advance.
Re: Help For A Script by BTT(m): 8:31pm On Apr 29, 2015
Akposb:
I am an aspiring script writer. Just finished writing one but I hope its just okay for it to be used. I have read just one textbook on it which is a foreign one.

The total amount of pages on Ms word is 29 pages. Is this enough to run as a film for 90 minutes at least. I would appreciate some other requirements. Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, leave that to the Director- except you intend to direct it yourself.
Re: Help For A Script by prof800(m): 9:40pm On Apr 29, 2015
Akposb:

That should have been explained in your textbook. Maybe you should go through it again.

Did you use the "ms-word template for script"? If you did, you'll have no problem with the formatting and you'll know that 29 pages will not make you a 90 minutes flick.

Though no one can really say.

Goodluck with your writing. And do write more. wink

1 Like

Re: Help For A Script by Akposb(m): 7:41am On Apr 30, 2015
prof800:

That should have been explained in your textbook. Maybe you should go through it again.

Did you use the "ms-word template for script"? If you did, you'll have no problem with the formatting and you'll know that 29 pages will not make you a 90 minutes flick.

Though no one can really say.

Goodluck with your writing. And do write more. wink
Thanks but I am not familiar with the format for script writing on Ms-word. All the guidelines mentioned in that book are quite unfamiliar.
Re: Help For A Script by VillageBoi(m): 11:16am On Apr 30, 2015
You may use a purpose built scriptwriting software to make life easier. Celtx is very ok and you can get it for FREE
Here is the PC link (those using a Mac can see where it says Mac and click there) - http://celtx.en.softonic.com/download

The general rule is ONE page = ONE minute of screen time. (of course there are pages that run longer and some run shorter)

An easy way for you to find out how long your script may be is to read it out and pace everything including all the descriptions; you'll get used to it after a while - does your 29 pages take 90 mins to cover? Probably not. Is your script also in the 'right' format?
There are of course directors that use 30 or so odd pages to make full-length feature films... such scripts are usually a bunch of notes, however, some fully written out scripts are also very short - a most recent example of one would be -
'All Is Lost' - a 32 page script that is made into a 106 min film. A bit more found here - https://www.nairaland.com/1582008/tension-masterclass-all-lost (Also adding the script here for you to have a look at - download and read as many screenplays as you can find; they are very helpful and you'll improve a lot)
I also believe Sofia Coppola’s 'Somewhere' is a 44 page script and it turns out to be a 97min film.

Also in general feature film scripts tend to fall between 90-120 pages but there is no 'concrete rule' about this. Some are shorter than that when written and some are obviously longer than that.

1 Like

Re: Help For A Script by Akposb(m): 8:21am On May 01, 2015
@villageboi thanks very much Sir.

1 Like

Re: Help For A Script by VillageBoi(m): 2:30am On May 02, 2015
Akposb:
@villageboi thanks very much.
You're welcome.

(1) (Reply)

If Your 2015 Where To Be A Movie, What Would You Give As The Title? / Will Leonardo Dicaprio Finally Get His First Oscar Today? / Here Are What To Expect Today As Game Of Thrones Season 6 Premiers Tonight.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.