Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate (10275 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Executive Position And Entry Level Position / What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Sleekbaby(f): 4:18pm On Jun 06, 2015
Please my fellow nairalanders, what is the difference between coursemate and classmate.
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Tbillz(m): 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2015
I will take classmate to be some who belong to the same class with U irrespective of the sch, but i will take course mate to be someone who is same learning environment with U. Both of U learn from the same soure, within the same environment. (my view)
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by otipoju(m): 5:02pm On Jun 06, 2015
In my own opinion, a classmate is a student whom you enrolled with at the same time that will take at least 90 per cent of similar courses throughout the duration of a program and expect to graduate in the same year.So you could have class of 96, 97, 98, and 99.

A coursemate would be someone from another Department or Faculty that you are take a particular course together. For instance you are from the Architecture Department while she is from Estate Management but you both take a BLD 101
( Fundamentals of Housing ) course.

Nevertheless a coursemate could be also be from the same Architecture department for instance who is repeating a BLD 101Course,or even taking it for the first time but is in a Senior Class of 98 whilst you are 99

By inference,, a Classmate would normally double as a Coursemate,but a Coursemate may not be your Classmate.

Sounds like a circular definition but if you take time to ruminate over it, it will make sense eventually.

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Sleekbaby(f): 6:38pm On Jun 06, 2015
Wow! tnk u guys so much, I asked this question bcoz I was discussing with a friend and I told her about what my classmate did while we were in school and she said dt is not
classmate but coursemate.
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Sleekbaby(f): 6:44pm On Jun 06, 2015
Wow! tnk u guys so much, I asked this question bcoz I was discussing with a friend and I told her about what my classmate did while we were in school and she said dt is not
classmate but coursemate.
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by osifred(m): 11:57pm On Jun 06, 2015
Let me add with example.

All year one students that were admitted say in 2014 are classmate irrespective of the fact that they are in different department. A level 100 student in law and a level 100 student in medicine are classmate. While all students in the same department or sometime different department offering same course or courses are called course mate.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by spiralwedge(m): 12:36am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred:
Let me add with example.

All year one students that were admitted say in 2014 are classmate irrespective of the fact that they are in different department. A level 100 student in law and a level 100 student in medicine are classmate. While all students in the same department or sometime different department offering same course or courses are called course mate.

are u defining pidgin English 'classmates' or what?
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by cirry: 1:52am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred:
Let me add with example.

Best explanation
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by bennnamdi: 2:45am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred gave the best answer to the above question......good job man

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by chinae(m): 6:20am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred:
Let me add with example.

This is the only definition i concur with.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred:
Let me add with example.

The concept of "classmates" is much more relevant to American universities than to Naija universities. This is because over there, students are defined by their year of admittance (eg. all students who are admitted this year will be referred to as the class of '18), and they have much more choice with regard to the courses they offer. So, for example, different first year students who plan to major in Law, Psychology, Accounting and Geology might end up CHOOSING to take the same Philosophy course, at the same time, under one roof (hence, they're truly "classmates", and in the same class).

Over here, students are defined by their departments. So while technically true that a 200l student in the Department of English is in the same class as a 200l student in the Department of Architecture, the "real" classmates of the 200l English student are all other 200l students in the Department of English.

Minus this informal restriction, we might as well claim that a 300l student in the Department of Linguistics in Unilag is in the same class as a 300l student in the Department of History in Unizik (seeing as they have nothing in common except the year of admittance, just like the English student and the Architecture student in the example above).

In essence, your classmates are fellow members of a class. Not sure coursemate is even an English word.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Sleekbaby(f): 7:26am On Jun 07, 2015
Plz Lala n Ishilove let this topic hit front page lets get more explanation. At those dt hv commented so far, I appreciate.
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by timilehing(m): 8:05am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred:
Let me add with example.

Daebak
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by emamos: 9:11am On Jun 07, 2015
osifred:
Let me add with example.
Sleekbaby:
Plz Lala n Ishilove let this topic hit front page lets get more explanation.
what more xplanation than d best answer above,abeg 4get about d front page.
Re: Difference Between Coursemate And Classmate by Rexology: 6:59pm On Jun 07, 2015
Your coursemate is one who is taking the same academic course with you, irrespective of his or her school or level,eg. if you are studying Accountancy, any Accountancy student in any school , at any level is your 'coursemate'.
Whereas, your classmate is one who is a member of your group.(group A, B C as the case may be in some schools with a large population)
Course====Accountancy
Class======400level( in some cases, it might be further grouped into parts)

you may further consult your dictionary.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies In Chevron(bsc/hnd Engineering) / M.R.C Calls For Assessment / Movement From Initial Pending Stage To Processing Stage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.