Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2445) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4383291 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2442) (2443) (2444) (2445) (2446) (2447) (2448) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:59pm On Sep 07, 2021
diordaves:

First photo: iso Pako Sheffield UK.

Second photo: iso Pako South Africa. South Africa that we think we are better than o.

Can you see how straight and to size the cuts are? Only in Nigeria will you pass a straight cut wood as premium. In "ordinary" South Africa it is the norm.

There's truly something about us as a Nation.

And you haven’t see these before in Ijebu Ode or Benin or J4?

Stop buying cheap na. Go to where they sell quality or ship in from Iso Pako in SA or LA grin

There’s nothing wrong with us as a nation. We are just too paranoid that we blow things out of proportion.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2021
twinskenny:

some people from this country will go to china.. and ask them to produce low quality items. for example phone chargers and all, sometime we are the cause of our own problem.. and we have a non functional SON

That SON is the koko of the matter.

We have UL and other organizations that protect the consumer from shyte.

They’re happy to jail offenders and shut down the business.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2021
BEWARE OF AUDIO JOBS SOME SCAMMERS ARE CLAIMING THEY GOT ON THIS FORUM... SHINE YOUR EYES..

IS PART OF THEIR SKILLED NETWORK SCAM... TILL THEY COLLECT YOUR MONEY AND LATER COLLECT COMMISSION... MY BOREHOLE PROJECT REMAINS UNCOMPLETED....

AT THE END, THEY REFUND YOU PEANUT FROM YOUR OWN HARD EARN MONEY... AND ALLOW GOOD PEOPLE HELP THEM PAY THEIR DEBT...

BE WISE...

I AM COMING TO LAGOS TO SEE THEM ONE ON ONE SOON... THE NEXT UPDATE MA BAD GAN... HOPING THEY REFUND MY MONEY BACK AS AGREED OVER THE LITTLE TIME SPECIFIED... I COME IN PEACE... REFUND MY MONEY BACK, AND WE PART TO SEE NO MORE....

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:06pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

Stop buying cheap na. Go to where they sell quality or ship in from Iso Pako in SA or LA grin

There’s nothing wrong with us as a nation. We are just too paranoid that we blow things out of proportion.

Okay so now you’re showing us where to get straight woods. Very good.

No need to be condescending. You come across better as the solution provider that you are.

Where in Ijebu? As I’ll be there this weekend. Unless it’s some sort of closely guarded ojuju shrine thing grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Let's meet in downtown LA and I'll show you around small lumber shops.

You can't give what you don't have grin

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=los+angeles+lumber+yard

YInmu.

Baba, let’s do Benin. I’ll show you what’s obtainable in standard lumber yards.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 9:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
seunpinky:
This posts reminds me of when my dad used to be a contractor with JB and Costain. He was supplying them with woods, I would hear him begging his guys to ensure they follow the exact specifications on the job order... Sometimes the woods are rejected during delivery whenever the QC spots any inconsistency. However, these companies paid premium price for the quality they desire.

The bolded is the Point exactly! A lot of Nigerians are not ready to Pay Premium for Quality.

They desire quality & quantity, but they're not ready to pay the Price to get the best.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:14pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

YInmu.

Baba, let’s do Benin. I’ll show you what’s obtainable in standard lumber yards.

You know I live in Ibadan. WTF do I need to go to Benin just to get lumber?

F Benin, show me the way in Ijebu.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:14pm On Sep 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Okay so now you’re showing us where to get straight woods. Very good.

No need to be condescending. You come across better as the solution provider that you are.

Where in Ijebu? As I’ll be there this weekend. Unless it’s some sort of closely guarded ojuju shrine thing grin

I’ll now share my trade secret with you, you’ll now give it to your jankara supplier grin grin

Baba, if you want straight woods, it’s in the market but you’ll pay heavily for it.

#JustAsk

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:15pm On Sep 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

That SON is the koko of the matter.

We have UL and other organizations that protect the consumer from shyte.

They’re happy to jail offenders and shut down the business.

that rarely happen here.. just grease their palm and business continue as usual

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:16pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

I’ll now share my trade secret with you, you’ll now give it to your jankara supplier grin grin

Baba, if you want straight woods, it’s in the market but you’ll pay heavily for it.

#JustAsk

I rest my case grin

I create my own straight wood because I have the machinery for it.

#SnakeOil

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

The second picture is for export. I’ve seen those near Sagamu.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You know I live in Ibadan. WTF do I need to go to Benin just to get lumber?

F Benin, show me the way in Ijebu.
grin grin

You asked me to come down to downtown LA and I knew I can get far, far better woods in Benin.

I’m son of a forester and niece of the first woman with a logging stamp hammer in Nigeria.

I know where to get gooooooood woods.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:28pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

You asked me to come down to downtown LA and I knew I can get far, far better woods in Benin.

I’m son of a forester and niece of the first woman with a logging stamp hammer in Nigeria.

I know where to get gooooooood woods.

In response to you stating you didn’t know there’s lumber yard in LA. I know how to MAKE good woods.

It’s cool you win, this is getting ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:37pm On Sep 07, 2021
diordaves:
THE PROBLEM OF PERFECTLY CUT AND STRAIGHT WOOD IN NIGERIA.

I lifted the first attached photo from Spyder's Remodeling Hall Project: https://www.nairaland.com/5921575/remodelling-reconstruction-town-hall-pictures/3

Looking at the wood network and the snake like nature of most of the woods, I just ask myself and you all here that supply wood, why is it near impossible to get perfectly cut to size and straight wood in Nigeria? What is the issue?

Is it lack of investment, lack of skilled woodworkers, the Nigerian factor of any way na way or we are just blind as a country to perfection and detail.

Why can't the Association of Nigeria Sawmillers up and down the country self regulation as done in the western world to proscribe industrial standard of wood cutting and sawmilling? I don't want to mention the government. This is a case of self regulation by the Sawmillers Association.

I have had a look online at the investment profile for a sawmill. As from 5 million Naira, one can set up a modern sawmill that can cut perfect wood. I think the Sawmillers Association can do better. It is not impossible to produce perfectly cut straight woods. I think it's the Nigerian factor.

Any how, any how. All go na go.
you have not been to a sawmill B4 hence you are saying such, go to sapele and see 18 foot plus 2x4 straight no bends, what you guys get in the east and other places are hand sawm logs,

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 9:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
Local man just cannot can shocked

But I’m sure there’s a method to this madness.

There should be some sort of chemicals that can wipe this off
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:40pm On Sep 07, 2021
erico2k2:

you have not been to a sawmill B4 hence you are saying such, go to sapele and see 18 foot plus 2x4 straight no bends, what you guys get in the east and other places are hand sawm logs,

Those 18 foot plank is what makes sapele thick.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

Those 18 foot plank is what makes sapele thick.
When I was doing my roofing in PH I wished I could buy from sapele but those boys in the road will make the price to hit the roof by taxing along the road
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 9:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I finally understood why people buy Tokunbo instead of new stuff in Nigeria. Everything is upside down.

As I have heard: it's said that Tokunbo Products works better & lasts longer than New.

#itsA~NigerianThing grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:48pm On Sep 07, 2021
n3xt:

You are very correct chief, a year ago I branch at ijebu ode while coming from ondo area with my client to check good plank that is very close to the site.
Yes we got it with good rate according to the standard of the wood we got there” not regular cheap plank” all sizes are ACCURATELY CUT and stock in that man stand.
Yes I was happy bcs i knew we will get it there.
But the rest is history, my cleint said chief we can’t use this plank I said why oga,……he said don’t I see that the money is much.
Case close.
We later went and bought regular mama iyabo plank.
So it’s boils down to cleint and individual pocket.
80pec are not ready to buy.
Now tell me how will this encourage the seller and others seller to open more store when whey have low patronages.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 9:53pm On Sep 07, 2021
diordaves:

First photo: iso Pako Sheffield UK.

Second photo: iso Pako South Africa. South Africa that we think we are better than o.

Can you see how straight and to size the cuts are? Only in Nigeria will you pass a straight cut wood as premium. In "ordinary" South Africa it is the norm.

There's truly something about us as a Nation.

These places are too neat sef.

Are you sure, these places are Iso Pako because e too clean oo

cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 10:03pm On Sep 07, 2021
rotecch77:

You are very correct chief, a year ago I branch at ijebu ode while coming from ondo area with my client to check good plank that is very close to the site.
Yes we got it with good rate according to the standard of the wood we got there” not regular cheap plank” all sizes are ACCURATELY CUT and stock in that man stand.
Yes I was happy bcs i knew we will get it there.
But the rest is history, my cleint said chief we can’t use this plank I said why oga,……he said don’t I see that the money is much.
Case close.
We later went and bought regular mama iyabo plank.
So it’s boils down to cleint and individual pocket.
80pec are not ready to buy.
Now tell me how will this encourage the seller and others seller to open more store when whey have low patronages

Good Point. Like I said earlier, a lot of Nigerians are not ready to pay for quality.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2021
erico2k2:

Forget abroad levels. I be Warri-Sapele brought up. 18 foot, yes but straight no bend? That thing is looking for a virgin in a maternity ward.

Straight wood die with AT&P. But one can't know it all. Please share the area for Sapele and I will send someone to check it out. I'm about to import wooden doors from B&Q because of the poor cut quality of woods available. I will need a lot of recutting and sanding to get the doors to the quality finish I want and I don't want to do this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:08pm On Sep 07, 2021
diordaves:

Forget abroad levels. I be Warri-Sapele brought up. 18 foot, yes but straight no bend? That thing is looking for a virgin in a maternity ward.

Straight wood die with AT&P. But one can't know it all. Please share the area for Sapele and I will send someone to check it out. I'm about to import wooden doors from B&Q because of the poor cut quality of woods available. I will need a lot of recutting and sanding to get the doors to the quality finish I want and I don't want to do this.

Good Night! Wishing you a Happy Import!!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chapmanovie: 11:11pm On Sep 07, 2021
hello
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chapmanovie: 11:14pm On Sep 07, 2021
please plumber just gave me this estimate for a 2 bedroom flat all en suite with one visitors toilet hot and cold..... I am shocked as I have read it doesn't cost this much and its in Benin not even Lagos or abuja and the labour cost is not included he indicted for cracking ,piping and to the septic tank...and indicated labour 50k

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
diordaves:

Guy I grew up in sapele, and worked in 1st sawmill in Ogwanja if you know that area very well,nah we dey tear gwaria,comb wood,agba gum and opepe that year.I also worked at Bijou as wood machinist. so bross we run circular that year too, so when I say we get straight wood for sapele I mean we get straight wood for sapele cos the wood there are milled not sawn!

PS Import door from BnQ ahahahahah U sound like who just got to the Uk 2 years ago grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunpinky(m): 11:45pm On Sep 07, 2021
Pls would appreciate it if you can share pictures of the doors when they arrive Nigeria.

Would like to compare them with what is obtainable in The Nigerian premium wooden door market.

I know some here has posted some high quality wooden doors in the past, would like to see the difference btw our high quality wooden doors and the foreign wooden doors you ll be importing.

diordaves:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jalofun: 12:07am On Sep 08, 2021
I no fit laugh i beg... Make den bring my tacos and salsa
n3xt:

I don’t know there’s iso pako in LA.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:14am On Sep 08, 2021
hamtabfawaz:
Oga @Michilins wey the safety boot wey you Promise me nah.
I'm sorry for not responding quicker. I haven't received those as the benefactor has been stuck abroad due to COVID-19. He was recently diagnosed with the disease and that disrupted his travel arrangements. Once he makes it available, I will let you know
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chapmanovie: 12:35am On Sep 08, 2021
Chapmanovie:
please plumber just gave me this estimate for a 2 bedroom flat all en suite with one visitors toilet hot and cold..... I am shocked as I have read it doesn't cost this much and its in Benin not even Lagos or abuja and the labour cost is not included he indicted for cracking ,piping and to the septic tank...and indicated labour 50k
Please someone should assist
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 2:59am On Sep 08, 2021
michlins:
I'm sorry for not responding quicker. I haven't received those as the benefactor has been stuck abroad due to COVID-19. He was recently diagnosed with the disease and that disrupted his travel arrangements. Once he makes it available, I will let you know

No Probs! Then.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 5:07am On Sep 08, 2021
Interesting times ahead..

(1) (2) (3) ... (2442) (2443) (2444) (2445) (2446) (2447) (2448) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zekepio(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.