Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,032 members, 7,799,512 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Learning To Driver. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Learning To Driver. (2580 Views)

Learning Drive In 1month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning To Driver. by benincitys(f): 4:55pm On Apr 08, 2009
easy way to learn how to driver please give ideal i will be driving tomorrow with my driving teacher
so brothers and sisters help a sister who is in need .
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 08, 2009
Benincitys, are you learning in a manual or auto?

If you learn with a manual, you'll have more choice in terms of what car you'll buy, you'll be licenced to drive both manual and auto.
With automatic, you're restricted to driving auto only, your licence won't permit you to drive a manual.

Is this your first time attempting to drive?
All you need to remember is, try to be relaxed, your instructor wants you to pass, it's not a good advert for him / her if you fail, so try not to worry!
Don't grip the steering wheel like your life depends on it - too tight a grip will cause the car to wander, a firm, relaxed grip is best. Also, don't be afraid to ask your instructor questions - they expect you to, and don't feel your questions ar too silly to ask, they've heard it all before.

Always remember the cardinal rule -

Mirror > Signal > Manoeuvre

If this is your first lesson, you won't be doing anything difficult, like reverse parking, reversing round a corner, 3-point turns etc.
You'll mostly be doing the basic things, like clutch control (if it's a manual) steering control etc.

As you get the hang of things, you'll progress onto other less basic procedures.
Keep us informed at each stage, I'll give you some more pointers as time goes on.

Good luck with your lessons!
smiley

1 Like

Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 3:10am On Apr 10, 2009
So sorry Siena, miles away from civilisation now, but would be onto it once I find my feet, I pwomise. By the way I could do with a few of 'em pointers too.

I have seen the light and I think its high time I become a 100% upright citizen, [s]I have been through a few - 3 Naija/1 Portuguese/1 US/1 Ghana licence to be precise[/s] and I have 6 points to go on my provisional license taking it to 15 points embarassed And I am willing to do whatever it takes not to come back with yet again, another Nigerian licence cheesy I mean surely it is not my fault I am colour blind and always going through the red lights cool

I have so much bad habit I need to get rid of, if I am gonna pass those tests, and I can never do reverse parking or reverse round a corner without mounting something embarassed But I am a dab hand at parallel parking.due to a tip I learnt a few years ago about parking directly parallel beside the car whom one wants to park behind, fully turning the steering until it locks, then reversing the car gently whilst simultaneously releasing the steering wheels . . .

On to more serious matter, the other thing is that about a year ago, the car I was driving was rolling forward down a small hill and I mistakenly hit the accelerator pedal instead of the brakes, and a passerby panicked and jumped inside the gutter, thinking the car was coming at her. I have not driven since then due to the sheer terror that I was in charge and nearly lost control of a one ton killing machine embarassed
Re: Learning To Driver. by Hauwa1: 3:45am On Apr 10, 2009
Bumper, i did the same thing too. happen that i was learning at a school. i thank God the high school already closed for the day. it was the gate that held the car o before i was able to get myself together. i stopped learning after that. i was just too scared. oyinbo girl stopped but would give me a ride to the store if i needed it. that's not too good, i use the school shuttle bus instead.
i started again last year. when i got my license, i stayed off the freeway, always looking for 'just two lane', but am glad to say i tried the 4 lanes and it was okay though shaky and i have to be fast. i have to continue learning so that it will be easy when i go for internship.
i am going to read the Parallel parking idea you wrote as i am yet to be perfect.

Benincity, there is nothing like your ability to drive yourself. so just continue to learn. daily if you have someone to do it, a 15 mins then increase the time as you get comfortable. the more you drive, the better. when you stop, you forget, read the manual book too to know the rules. Siena gave more idea to follow. so be patient with yourself and try to remember what your learn the day before.
Re: Learning To Driver. by benincitys(f): 3:23pm On Apr 10, 2009
Siena:

Benincitys, are you learning in a manual or auto?

If you learn with a manual, you'll have more choice in terms of what car you'll buy, you'll be licenced to drive both manual and auto.
With automatic, you're restricted to driving auto only, your licence won't permit you to drive a manual.

Is this your first time attempting to drive?
All you need to remember is, try to be relaxed, your instructor wants you to pass, it's not a good advert for him / her if you fail, so try not to worry!
Don't grip the steering wheel like your life depends on it - too tight a grip will cause the car to wander, a firm, relaxed grip is best. Also, don't be afraid to ask your instructor questions - they expect you to, and don't feel your questions ar too silly to ask, they've heard it all before.

Always remember the cardinal rule -

Mirror > Signal > Manoeuvre

If this is your first lesson, you won't be doing anything difficult, like reverse parking, reversing round a corner, 3-point turns etc.
You'll mostly be doing the basic things, like clutch control (if it's a manual) steering control etc.

As you get the hang of things, you'll progress onto other less basic procedures.
Keep us informed at each stage, I'll give you some more pointers as time goes on.

Good luck with your lessons!
  smiley
i am learning with manual is not easy,

is my 3rd time he said i grip the steering  too tight i have to,
that is the only way i can save my life from those big lorrys 
whenever i see  lorry i am afraid they kill me ,
the worst part is he teach me in Germany when they promise to teach me in english
my Germany is not too good so i dont understand everything he ask me to do ,
yesterday he make me cry i am confuse dont know what to do  if this is what it take to have a driving license i think i am not ready for it

siena thanks for the advice.
Re: Learning To Driver. by oblo(m): 5:01pm On Apr 10, 2009
three words, Dont give up!!
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 10, 2009
Benincitys, please don't give up!
We've all been in your position, and some are where you are now, so you're not alone.

If your instructor's too abrupt and lacks patience, you're well within your rights to change instructors.
You can also request a female tutor too, who may be more sympathetic and patient with you.
Re: Learning To Driver. by Hauwa1: 10:18pm On Apr 10, 2009
if you are finding so hard, ask your hubby to teach you.

we all have that fright of big lorry hitting us, but don't worry abt the big lorry behind you or one at your back, concern with the one in front and your mirror.

do not give up, when you do it will make it so hard. i heard it is harder to teach older pple o. so go get that licence lady.
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 12:42am On Apr 11, 2009
It's easy to drive, should take you atleast 3-5 days tolearn wink

Some points:

1. Always keep your right foot on the brake. . . .cause some ppl accident press the accelerator when they mean to press the brake.

2. Always trafficate when you want to turn

3. turn trafficator off when you've turn (some cars should automatically turn it off)

4. Slow down when you're turning (some idiots tends to speed up angry )

5. I think you should start practicing at speed limit 5 for a few days wink

6. Ehrrrm always buckle your seat belt grin grin

7. When you're turning right, slow down and turn left (a little) so you don't hit the curb, then slowly turn right.

8. Once you turn, let go of the wheels, let it roll back to it's position wink

9. Keep the car in the center of your lane wink

10. Always yield. . . .there are some (idiots) out there who just speed up when they see you turning, and there are some who leave their trafficator on, yet they keep going str8. ( I don't understand those ppl undecided)

If you want to pass, put this points into consideration.
Re: Learning To Driver. by benincitys(f): 1:46am On Apr 11, 2009
toyinrayo thanks
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 11, 2009
benincitys:

toyinrayo thanks
U IZ WELCOME wink
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 2:00am On Apr 11, 2009
Toyin my sister, you're giving Benin wrong advice!  shocked

If you let the steering wheel spin in your hands, you'll fail a test.
You're meant to "feed" it back to position, regardless of self-centreing feature.

Othere fails are:

1) Resting your foot on the brake pedal - fail.
2) Resting your foot on the clutch - fail.
3) Turning slightly right before making a left turn only applies to HGV's / articulated vehicles / trailers etc. If you're positioned correctly in your lane, you wouldn't clip the kerb when you turn in. Big fail there.

Most importantly, remain in control of an automobile at all times - both hands must always be on the wheel, exceptions are when shifting up or down.
Never change gear during a turn - either shift up / down before or after.
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 2:07am On Apr 11, 2009
Siena:

Toyin my sister, you're giving Benin wrong advice! shocked

If you let the steering wheel spin in your hands, you'll fail a test.
You're meant to "feed" it back to position, regardless of self-centreing feature.

Othere fails are:

1) Resting your foot on the brake pedal - fail.
2) Resting your foot on the clutch - fail.
3) Turning slightly right before making a left turn only applies to HGV's / articulated vehicles / trailers etc. If you're positioned correctly in your lane, you wouldn't clip the kerb when you turn in. Big fail there.

Most importantly, remain in control of an automobile at all times - both hands must always be on the wheel, exceptions are when shifting up or down.
Never change gear during a turn - either shift up / down before or after.

Siena, see how you dey embarrass me grin grin grin grin

Actually, you dnt let go of the wheels, you slowly let it spin back to it's origin position.
If you keep the wheels turn, the car WILL keep turning, it won't go str8 when you finished your turn.

I've been taught to rest my feet on the brake, no pressing or anything. Then it'd be easier to press the brake if it needs to be pressed immediately. Some people let their feet down and sometimes accidentally press the accelerator when they actually mean to press the brake.

Turning slightly right (maybe in a parking lot) gives the driver more space and flexibility to turn.
You turn the wheels slightly right, then left. . . . .like a quarter circle.

Well, I don't know. That's how I've been driving. . . .and my recent record shows that I'm a good driver grin grin tongue

Of course, I agree, your hands remains on the wheels wink
Re: Learning To Driver. by Hauwa1: 2:08am On Apr 11, 2009
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Learning To Driver. by Hauwa1: 2:11am On Apr 11, 2009
how many times did yu take that test sef grin grin eh Toyin grin

do you have a manual book Benincity? read it, it helps a lot. good luck
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 2:14am On Apr 11, 2009
*Hauwa*:

how many times did yu take that test sef grin grin eh Toyin grin

do you have a manual book Benincity? read it, it helps a lot. good luck
How many times does not matter grin grin

Point is, I've been driving for more than 4 yrs now and record is still clean, eh grin grin
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 2:33am On Apr 11, 2009
Toyin, abeg no vex, I no mean to embarass you.

Make you continue jare!
cheesy
Re: Learning To Driver. by abbyode(m): 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2009
Siena,
i made a post for your attention, pls reply nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-260217.0.html
Thanks.
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 11, 2009
^^^ Post replied to, thanks.
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 11, 2009
Siena:

Toyin, abeg no vex, I no mean to embarass you.

Make you continue jare!
cheesy
I no dey vex, oga grin grin

Oya, since you gave me permission, I'll ocntinue wink tongue
Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 11:34pm On Apr 19, 2009
@ Benincitys

Hmmn, I would not advice you to let your husband teach you at all lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@ Hauwa

Thank God school was not in session ehn shocked if I were you, I'd have gone to Church and killed a cow to do thanksgiving cheesy

@ Toyinrayo

[s]I will gladly continue to embarass you tongue[/s] Jeez, leaving the steering wheels to roll back shocked resting your feet on the brakes/clutch instead of the foot well shocked swinging before turning shocked I am going to report you to the DMV asap angry I need/deserve that licence more than you do angry angry angry grin

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

The silence and unwillingness to give tips and advice to Benincitys, just confirms what has been known along that men don't like women driving angry Whenever they hear that another woman has passed her driving test, they just roll their eyes and mumble under their breath that another terrible woman driver has been let loose on their roads angry angry angry grin
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Apr 19, 2009
big_bumper:

@ Toyinrayo

[s]I will gladly continue to embarass you tongue[/s] Jeez, leaving the steering wheels to roll back shocked resting your feet on the brakes/clutch instead of the foot well shocked swinging before turning shocked I am going to report you to the DMV asap angry I need/deserve that licence more than you do angry angry angry grin

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, NO SHE DIDN'T!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lol, I already explained myself na, read up.

When I said let the wheels roll to its NEUTRAL position, of course, you gotta keep holding it.

Ok ok, you rest your right leg on the brake (no pushing or anything), and draw your left leg to you or your chair.

LOL, how do you keep the speed limit constant? One minute am driving 70, then 65 then 75. . . . I have a problem with that, I got pulled over for it.

I mean, I can't keep pushing the accelerator na. tongue
Re: Learning To Driver. by tollu: 11:44pm On Apr 19, 2009
Benincitys

Just RELAX
Remember, the car is a dumb machine and most times, wouldn't do what it isn't ordered to. It's all in your hands.
Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 11:53pm On Apr 19, 2009
tollu:

Benincitys

Just RELAX
Remember, the car is a dumb machine and most times, wouldn't do what it isn't ordered to. It's all in your hands.

Don't mean to sound so glum but I take it you have never seen a brake fail at even 30mph before cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Learning To Driver. by tollu: 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
big_bumper:

Don't mean to sound so glum but I take it you have never seen a brake fail at even 30mph before cheesy cheesy cheesy

I take it you didn't read thru my post carefully.
I said "Just RELAX
Remember, the car is a dumb machine and most times, wouldn't do what it isn't ordered to. It's all in your hands"

I've hghlighted the important part for emphasis i.e Most times. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Learning To Driver. by kuntash: 1:10am On Apr 21, 2009
talk talk wan too plenty, has she gone for the training?
Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2009
tollu:

I take it you didn't read thru my post carefully.
I said "Just RELAX
Remember, the car is a dumb machine and most times, wouldn't do what it isn't ordered to. It's all in your hands"

I've hghlighted the important part for emphasis i.e Most times. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Common nau, how can I fail to decipher a two-line post cheesy I was only emphasising on the "RELAX" bit in relation to the "remaining of the most times"(sic) the car fails to yield to one's command, hence the example I gave cheesy

I was just faffing around as usual, that's all grin
Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 10:00pm On Apr 29, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, NO SHE DIDN'T!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lol, I already explained myself na, read up.

When I said let the wheels roll to its NEUTRAL position, of course, you gotta keep holding it.

Ok ok, you rest your right leg on the brake (no pushing or anything), and draw your left leg to you or your chair.

OH YES SHE DID, AND YOU BERRA BELIEVE DAT !!!

Shrugging shoulders asko o, tobito tongue I still wanna embarass you and not let you forget cheesy Maybe I should forgive you be e be, afterall its a danfo that you drive according to Ikeyman, so your situation is understandable tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy

*Toyinrayo:

LOL, how do you keep the speed limit constant? One minute am driving 70, then 65 then 75. . . . I have a problem with that, I got pulled over for it.

I mean, I can't keep pushing the accelerator na. tongue

Very very very simple, just keep your eyes on the speed thingy, whilst taking a sneak peak at the gearstick to make sure it is in the right drive, and simultaneously looking at the side mirror, checking that you look good in the rear view mirror, reapplying your lipstick, using your ears to hold your phone to your shoulder whilst taking a call from your man, texting your girlfriends on your pager to find out the latest gossip about who is doing who, checking out the fly brother in the car in the lane next to you, eating, checking for blindspots, etc grin grin grin

Told you its easy cheesy
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 29, 2009
big_bumper:

OH YES SHE DID, AND YOU BERRA BELIEVE DAT !!!

Shrugging shoulders asko o, tobito tongue I still wanna embarass you and not let you forget cheesy Maybe I should forgive you be e be, afterall its a danfo that you drive according to Ikeyman, so your situation is understandable tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy

LOL, you're listening to Ikey who cannot even afford a bicycle? grin grin

Keep embarrassing me o, na ur time tongue

big_bumper:

Very very very simple, just keep your eyes on the speed thingy, whilst taking a sneak peak at the gearstick to make sure it is in the right drive, and simultaneously looking at the side mirror, checking that you look good in the rear view mirror, reapplying your lipstick, using your ears to hold your phone to your shoulder whilst taking a call from your man, texting your girlfriends on your pager to find out the latest gossip about who is doing who, checking out the fly brother in the car in the lane next to you, eating, checking for blindspots, etc grin grin grin

Told you its easy cheesy

rotflmao, wow!! Thank you. But I think you just created the best recipe for an accident shocked shocked

You're crazy grin grin
Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 10:18pm On Apr 29, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

LOL, you're listening to Ikey who cannot even afford a bicycle? grin grin

Superman has got his cape, he does not need a bike to fly cheesy

*Toyinrayo:

Keep embarrassing me o, na ur time tongue

Me embarass you ke, you have got the wrong person cool You know I gat yo back anytime, I am just here to make sure Siena stops embarassing you, thats all cheesy

*Toyinrayo:

rotflmao, wow!! Thank you. But I think you just created the best recipe for an accident shocked shocked

You're crazy grin grin

I am hurt that you don't trust me cry First you imagine I was here to embarass you, now you discard my seasoned well-meaning advice sad Would I lie to you lipsrsealed Why don't you give it a try, afterall seeing is believing tongue
Re: Learning To Driver. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 29, 2009
big_bumper:

Superman has got his cape, he does not need a bike to fly cheesy
grin grin grin grin Sure, and in diapers too. cheesy cheesy

big_bumper:

Me embarass you ke, you have got the wrong person cool You know I gat yo back anytime, I am just here to make sure Siena stops embarassing you, thats all cheesy

I am hurt that you don't trust me cry First you imagine I was here to embarass you, now you discard my seasoned well-meaning advice sad Would I lie to you lipsrsealed Why don't you give it a try, afterall seeing is believing tongue

Got my back or sienna's back? wink

Be hurt o be hurt, after you left, you wan come back to dey yab my danfo? Be hurt jare tongue tongue
Re: Learning To Driver. by bigbumper(f): 10:59pm On Apr 29, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

grin grin grin grin Sure, and in diapers too. cheesy cheesy

Rofl grin grin grin angry angry angry Don't talk about my man like that, if not that I don't fight ladies, I for show you pepper tongue Wait till he comes back from his seven-year sojourn of raising enough money to pay my brideprice, he will deal with you mercilessly angry angry angry

*Toyinrayo:

Got my back or sienna's back? wink

Come oh, wetin I dey do behind ya back sef, abeg commot for road make I see front joo angry Siena's sexy back has more to offer tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe N1.5m / BEST AND STRONGEST OF Honda Cr-v Ex 2000 Model TOKUNBOH PRICE REDUCE / 2009 Toyota Camry. New year Promotion!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.