Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Who Is The Best Programmer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Who Is The Best Programmer? (1359 Views)

Who Is The Best Programmer On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Best Programmer? by Gbengard(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2015
Who is the best programmer: Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison or Linus Torvalds? Why

1. Linus Torvalds, He did the impossible with his kernel. The geniuses in Stallman's team thought it would take them years to do what he did in his early 20's. He is the only programmer who is significantly active and regularly reviews and implements code. He founded both Linux and GIT and made massive code contributions to both, and is still active on Linux. Working on kernel code is one of the more complicated areas of coding (although compiler programming is also another area of complicated programming).

2. Bill Gates, he invented the modern world, but being a business man made it so that he stopped coding in his late 20's. He and Paul Allen wrote Basic compiler for Altair with 4 KB of total memory. This is hard stuff. He was involved in coding in Microsoft on many projects.

3. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook is as complex as it gets when it comes to web apps. But also stopped coding because he is now more of a business man. But we should not overlook the fact that he is an excellent programmer. Mark Zuckerberg used PHP to code facemash or whatever - that's speaks for itself.

4. Larry Ellison, created a RDBMS, pretty tall order. Larry Ellison was described as an "average programmer". What's exactly an average programmer? I still don't know. I know coders that are amazing: Their code is clean, efficient, they know a lot of standards, etc. But they can't produce a single successful product. Other coders are not as... sophisticated, but they produce amazing stuff.

5. Jeff Bezos... lol.... I don't know much about this man. Jeff Bezos is more an entrepreneur than a coder.

The question again is, what makes a programmer a good programmer?

If it's a matter of skills, Linus Torvalds is perhaps the biggest contender.

If it's a matter of building something with almost nothing, Bill Gates beats everybody.

If it's a matter of seizing an opportunity from something simple, and making it big, then Mark Zuckerberg is the champ.

If it's a matter of being a pioneer, without knowing much about anything, the prize goes to Larry Ellison.

Jeff Bezzos never wrote a single line of code, as far as I know. It might be mistaken.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-best-programmer-Jeff-Bezos-Mark-Zuckerberg-Bill-Gates-Larry-Ellison-or-Linus-Torvalds-Why

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Programmer? by DonaldGenes(m): 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2015
..So, just you know Bill Gates is famous for running Microsoft,businessman enterprenuer and for the most part being the wealthiest man alive, not for his programming skills anyway but he does code,in fact, any new software develop by any of microsoft employee must be finally be vetted or let me say edited to check for errors by Bill Gate himself-That's what he said during his interview sometime.

Talkinq about, Linus Torvalds,we all know he started an operating system that is widely successful, today. Even, Richard Stallman, other than being eccentric sha, is heavily associated with GNU/Linux (or at least GNU and the Free Software Foundation)

Briefly, let me quote what Linus Torvalds actually said, and Quote
"My name is Linus Torvalds, and I am your god.
You don’t have to be a Linux user, or even a nerd, to love Linus Torvalds. His arrogant and irreverant sense of humor draws scores of views, shares and upvotes on almost anything he says online.
He cares very little about what others think, and will publicly lambaste anyone he deems deserving. Which to be honest, appears to be most people"

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Programmer? by DonaldGenes(m): 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2015
Gbengard:
Who is the best programmer: Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison or Linus Torvalds? Why?

In my own view:

1. Linus Torvalds, He did the impossible with his kernel. The geniuses in Stallman's team thought it would take them years to do what he did in his early 20's. He is the only programmer who is significantly active and regularly reviews and implements code. He founded both Linux and GIT and made massive code contributions to both, and is still active on Linux. Working on kernel code is one of the more complicated areas of coding (although compiler programming is also another area of complicated programming).

2. Bill Gates, he invented the modern world, but being a business man made it so that he stopped coding in his late 20's. He and Paul Allen wrote Basic compiler for Altair with 4 KB of total memory. This is hard stuff. He was involved in coding in Microsoft on many projects.

3. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook is as complex as it gets when it comes to web apps. But also stopped coding because he is now more of a business man. But we should not overlook the fact that he is an excellent programmer. Mark Zuckerberg used PHP to code facemash or whatever - that's speaks for itself.

4. Larry Ellison, created a RDBMS, pretty tall order. Larry Ellison was described as an "average programmer". What's exactly an average programmer? I still don't know. I know coders that are amazing: Their code is clean, efficient, they know a lot of standards, etc. But they can't produce a single successful product. Other coders are not as... sophisticated, but they produce amazing stuff.

5. Jeff Bezos... lol.... I don't know much about this man. Jeff Bezos is more an entrepreneur than a coder.

The question again is, what makes a programmer a good programmer?

If it's a matter of skills, Linus Torvalds is perhaps the biggest contender.

If it's a matter of building something with almost nothing, Bill Gates beats everybody.

If it's a matter of seizing an opportunity from something simple, and making it big, then Mark Zuckerberg is the champ.

If it's a matter of being a pioneer, without knowing much about anything, the prize goes to Larry Ellison.

Jeff Bezzos never wrote a single line of code, as far as I know. I might be mistaken.

why didn't quote the original person who wrote those comment that you said "Inmy view"
what do you mean your view? Take note; you copied those comments from a Quora User and even theTopic,you also copied without referencing the Original poster..#Piracy
Re: Who Is The Best Programmer? by HCpaul(m): 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2015
Bill Gate is the most successful because he invented the foundation of today's invention.
Re: Who Is The Best Programmer? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2015
ME

(1) (Reply)

MQTT Connectivity Protocol / How To Recover Lost Iphone Data Directly With Ifonemate / Developer Needed For A Forum + Ecommerce Site Bugdet 140k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.