Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,276 members, 7,807,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Exploring The Sun. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Exploring The Sun. (2887 Views)

Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. / 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 2:20am On Nov 01, 2015

Hi there! teempakguy here. wink
okay, I'm going to ask you a question right now.

imagine a world with no sun. oh wait . . . ah . . . of course, without the sun, there would be no world. there would hardly be any life, there would be no night, no day, no year, no moon . . . no heat . . . hell . . . we probably should just erect shrines to worship the sun for it's kind services . . .

#justjoking . . . LOL, anyway, today/tonight, we are going to explore the majesty of HELIOS. our SOL.
so grab a coffee. and let's chill . . .

BIOGRAPHY

okay, so . . . obviously, one of the first things you'll want to know about the sun, and a lot of other things, actually, is the origin, and the location, and the kind of star the sun is. so . . . yeah. let's get into that.
The sun was formed some 4.5 billion years ago. and it s a G-type main sequence star. this means that it is a small star. actually. most g-type stars are called yellow dwarfs. hahahaha embarassed
now, the sun is located around halfway from the middle of the milky way galaxy to the circumference, on the Orion galactic arm. this is actually really cool. because were in between two arms. the Perseus arm and the Sagittarius arm. giving us the ability to view more stars around us.
here we are . . .
[img]http://prof77.files./2012/02/roadmap01cw6.jpg[/img]

The sun was of course, formed 4.5 years from two separate classes of objects. preformed hydrogen, probably from the big bang, and remnants of the debris of earlier stars. so, the sun formed when gravity pulled just enough matter together to kick-start some bad ass nuclear fusion in the middle of the sun. this is called the core and it is 15.7 million kelvin hot. you CANNOT imagine how hot that is. so, don't even try. embarassed
moving on,

PROPERTIES

In the fifteenth century, Leonardo da vinci wrote in his notebook, "Il sole non si move" meaning, the sun does not move. well, he was WRONG. the sun does move, hahahaha. angry
the sun rotates on it's axis, of course, the equator rotates faster than the poles, of course. and it also revolves around the Sagittarius A. if you're wondering who the hell Sagittarius is, well, it's a black hole . . . anyway, it currently is speeding away at around 220km per second around the said galaxy. i know, not that fast, but it isn't still though. It DOES manage to circle the entire galaxy in 200 Million years . . . embarassed too good we don't live in the sun. or Christmas chicken eh . . . embarassed

The sun contains water and carbon dioxide. are you shocked? hehehe. well, obviously, they are in their gaseous form. you don't want to drink sun water, trust me. grin or you might never drink any other water forever. grin grin
it also contains silicon, iron, you know . . . so many metals. the sun is only a G-type star. it can't make these heavy elements. this has led to astrophysicists agreeing that the sun is indeed a recycled material. what do you think is the case?

oh, another fun fact, the sun possesses 99% of all the mass of the solar system. i encourage you to pause for a moment and ask yourself. where does that put me?

STRUCTURE

if we were to strip out the outer layer of the sun, taking away all of it's photo-sphere, the resulting material would be black. like, really black. now, why is this? because, like i said earlier, the temperature at the core of the sun CANNOT be visualized by the human mind. we tend to think of things getting brighter the hotter they get. well, it's not actually like that. the light a hot object emits moves up the spectrum the hotter they get. this means that at fifteen million kelvin, the core of the sun is emitting pure gamma rays. and NO it is not green in color and NO, it will NOT give you hulk smash powers. angry more like fried butt powers. grin
the light the sun emits at that point is pure gamma. And any photon within the visible light spectrum will immediately be absorbed by the sun and remitted as gamma. being that it will appear black. cool, huh? cool
so, let's bring back the outer layer. grin well, ever tried boiling water? if so, you have simulated how the sun works in a kettle. wink
how? well, as we know, the core is very hot, this core is surrounded by a layer called the radiative zone. shockingly, as dense as it is, convection cannot occur. only radiation. which even is severely inhibited by the black-body behavior of this zone. so, it acts as a stove, or fire source, for the convective zone. now, this convective zone acts like water. even though it's made up of mostly hydrogen. when the fluid of this zone is closest to the radiative zone, it is heated, fast! and it rises like water rises, displacing the colder fluid, which is pushed to the bottom by the sun's gravity. this fluid of hydrogen, at two MILLION KELVIN, shoots up, with amazing speed, trying to get away from the center of the sun, from the radiative layer . . . at this point, it is completely black, but as it shoots up, it's temperature decreases . . . rapidly, and it's spectrum changes . . . from gamma to x-rays to ultraviolet . . . then suddenly,

LET THERE BE LIGHT . . . the photosphere begins as the fluid, now cool enough, emits visible light. light . . . that is responsible for life on earth. light that is everything to us . . . isn't that just amazing? and this process is constantly repeating. like constantly boiling water. and it's just amazing to me. honestly. cry

you might have noticed that this means that 70% of the sun emits absolutely no light at all. lipsrsealed

after the photosphere, we have . . . . who can guess? the corona! cheesy the corona . . . is the envelop of the sun. containing plasma. which is inexplicably hot. seriously, the photosphere is only 5,700 kelvin, but the corona's temperature varies at around a million kelvin to ten million kelvin, why? simply put, we don't know. so . . . yeah. we have no idea. so, if you're a scientist that wants to figure this out, go, girl . . . or guy . . . lipsrsealed
in the corona, we can see solar prominences in their full glory.

enjoy,

[img]http://str.llnl.gov/str/NovDec08/images/barbee2.jpg[/img]

EXTRA

There's obviously still more to talk about, grin such as the chromosphere, the solar wind, solar flares, and other FUN stuff the sun has to offer, but, I'm going to sit back and let YOU tell me about it. so, I'm all ears, let us discuss HELIOS, my friends, let us discuss our SOL.

cheerios!

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Exploring The Sun. by RobinHez(m): 6:57am On Nov 01, 2015
Summary pls... embarassed
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 01, 2015
RobinHez:
Summary pls... embarassed
there is one summary in genesis chapter one,
And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness
one must admit. it's actually a pretty good summary . . .

hmmn, why not . . . why the hell not. let me invite the brethren.

cc johnydon22, dekatron, bqlekan, queed, slimzjoe.

1 Like

Re: Exploring The Sun. by RobinHez(m): 7:18am On Nov 01, 2015
Teempakguy:
there is one summary in genesis chapter one,

one must admit. it's actually a pretty good summary . . .
Thank you!

Happy sunday! tongue
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 01, 2015
RobinHez:

Thank you!

Happy sunday! tongue
hmmn . . . i guess it is a happy one. smiley
Re: Exploring The Sun. by inereunwa1(m): 10:31am On Nov 01, 2015
hmmm nawao but wait o were all these scientist dey get all those strange names wey them dey give all these stars and galaxies from just asking tho cool
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 01, 2015
inereunwa1:
hmmm nawao but wait o were all these scientist dey get all those strange names wey them dey give all these stars and galaxies from just asking tho cool
oh, they are from Latin. And sometimes Arabic,
For instance, Sirius means "scorcher" in Latin, and Andromeda is means "master of men" or something like that.
More recent objects are named via a strange number-letter identification tag that I haven't yet figured out. lipsrsealed
Re: Exploring The Sun. by sinaj(f): 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2015
Wooow!

Wil commentum laterium wink
Re: Exploring The Sun. by inereunwa1(m): 1:31pm On Nov 01, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh, they are from Latin. And sometimes Arabic,
For instance, Sirius means "scorcher" in Latin, and Andromeda is means "master of men" or something like that.
More recent objects are named via a strange number-letter identification tag that I haven't yet figured out. lipsrsealed
OK thanks for the explanation I've just learned something new today
Re: Exploring The Sun. by johnydon22(m): 7:00pm On Nov 01, 2015
Excellent post teempakguy, love it....
Re: Exploring The Sun. by bqlekan(m): 9:26pm On Nov 01, 2015
hmmm. Teempak..great write-up, superb explanation, but poor summary..... the 'let there be light part' sad stop mocking the believers cheesy

i dey come later
Re: Exploring The Sun. by UncleSnr(m): 3:05am On Nov 02, 2015
Lalasticlala, come and see something.
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Booyakasha(f): 11:55am On Nov 02, 2015
Bro, Teempakguy reply my mail... nice post.. btw, it seems you're not of this world.. lol
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 02, 2015
bqlekan:
hmmm. Teempak..great write-up, superb explanation, but poor summary..... the 'let there be light part' sad stop mocking the believers cheesy

i dey come later
grin grin grin. i can't help it joor. cheesy
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 02, 2015
Booyakasha:
Bro, Teempakguy reply my mail... nice post.. btw, it seems you're not of this world.. lol
haha. thanks. i'm in the process of doing that. smiley
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Geofavor(m): 2:00pm On Nov 02, 2015
Learnt one or two things smiley
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Feraz(m): 3:36pm On Nov 03, 2015
When I saw the topic 'Exploring The Sun', I thought humans going there to really explore it. grin
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Krystalzkris(f): 9:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
nice one...

Ah don see biography,what of burial date??grincheesycheesycheesy
Re: Exploring The Sun. by samsard(m): 10:05am On Nov 05, 2015
teempakguy, sorry for derailing but please I'd like to know what you think about conspiracy theories that say that space travel and atomic bombs are impossible. Ordinarily, am no fan of conspiracy theories but am trying to clear my head of possible junk.
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
samsard:
teempakguy, sorry for derailing but please I'd like to know what you think about conspiracy theories that say that space travel and atomic bombs are impossible. Ordinarily, am no fan of conspiracy theories but am trying to clear my head of possible junk.
oh nevermind,
well, there is one way to prove that space travel is very possible. And that is to buy a telescope. You can see human made satellites with it.
As for the impossibility of atomic bombs, well . . . Hiroshima bears witness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exploring The Sun. by Aceed: 2:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
how come scientists are able to have a full view of our galaxy that's millions of light years wide and millions of light years long?

Teempakguy
Re: Exploring The Sun. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 01, 2016
Aceed:
how come scientists are able to have a full view of our galaxy that's millions of light years wide and millions of light years long?

Teempakguy
they can't.
Those pictures you see are artist representations of the mathematical extrapolations of star positions. What we can see, are other galaxies.

Also, the milky way is actually just 0.1 million years in diameter.

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Fastlink Modem E3531 Unlock / 15 Facts About Nikola Tesla That Would Amaze You. / Whats The Difference Between A Battery And A Capacitor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.