Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,003 members, 7,952,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:56 AM

I Really Need Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Really Need Help (760 Views)

Do You Really Need To Safely Remove USB Flash Drives? / Pls I Really Need Help. / Do I Really Need An Antivirus For Windows 8.1? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Really Need Help by fromnigeria(m): 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2015
My PC, Hp Elitebook 6930p has some functionalities i have not been able to utilize since i bought it. First: Is the WIFI, and the the other is an in-built port for a SIM card. Please how do i configure the in-built SIM slot for browsing. Finally, how do i activate and use the Wireless network.

Thanks in anticipation
Re: I Really Need Help by Waleesa: 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2015
Unless you're WiFi card is damaged or missing (very unlikely), the reason you're unable to use the laptop's Wi-Fi function is because the software drivers are not installed.

A software driver is software that lets the operating system (Windows) know how to control a piece of hardware. - Every piece of hardware needs a driver.

You can get the driver for your laptop's Wi-Fi & SIM slot by going to this page and entering your device model. And then follow the instructions.

www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html
Re: I Really Need Help by fromnigeria(m): 8:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
Waleesa:
Unless you're WiFi card is damaged or missing (very unlikely), the reason you're unable to use the laptop's Wi-Fi function is because the software drivers are not installed.

A software driver is software that lets the operating system (Windows) know how to control a piece of hardware. - Every piece of hardware needs a driver.

You can get the driver for your laptop's Wi-Fi & SIM slot by going to this page and entering your device model. And then follow the instructions.

www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html
thanks so much for making out time.

The issue is that i don't know how to go about activating the wifi, as in, i know a button on the keyboard to turn on, but i can't connect it to an wifi hotspot.

Thanks once more.
Re: I Really Need Help by Waleesa: 9:03pm On Nov 10, 2015
When you switch the Wi-Fi on, does the indicator light change from orange/amber to white or blue?

If it doesn't change, then your are either not switching it on at all or there is no driver installed. A third possibility is that it has been disabled in the BIOS . Remember that with some laptops, (& depending on your BIOS's configuration) you might have to press the Fn key together with the Wi-Fi key.

If the indicator light does change when you attempt to activate/switch on the Wi-Fi, then it means the drivers are installed. Then my question is: does the laptop detect any wireless networks? It doesn't matter if the networks are password protected or not. You should be able to see a network. Bear in mind the laptop wouldn't detect any network of there is none in range.
Re: I Really Need Help by fromnigeria(m): 11:31pm On Nov 12, 2015
Waleesa:
When you switch the Wi-Fi on, does the indicator light change from orange/amber to white or blue?

If it doesn't change, then your are either not switching it on at all or there is no driver installed. A third possibility is that it has been disabled in the BIOS . Remember that with some laptops, (& depending on your BIOS's configuration) you might have to press the Fn key together with the Wi-Fi key.

If the indicator light does change when you attempt to activate/switch on the Wi-Fi, then it means the drivers are installed. Then my question is: does the laptop detect any wireless networks? It doesn't matter if the networks are password protected or not. You should be able to see a network. Bear in mind the laptop wouldn't detect any network of there is none in range.
Thanks so much. The does turn amber on tapping.

(1) (Reply)

Buy Your Fairly Used Laptop Parts Here At Cheap Price / Help / sa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.