Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

A New Driver Who Needs Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A New Driver Who Needs Help (2482 Views)

What You Should Know As A New Driver / My Toyota Camry Needs Help / How To Get New Driver’s License In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 11:33am On Nov 29, 2015
IN MY EARLY 20'S AND A 400L STUDENT,THOU HAVE DROVE FROM UYO TO CALABER ,UYO TO PH WITH EASE BUT NEXT WEEK AM GOING TO ILLORIN AND I PLAN ON DRIVING AND AM USING 2001 CAMRY XLE

Note i have 5yrs driving experience

PLEASE WHATS THE CONDITIONS OF THE ROADS ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by timilehing(m): 12:28pm On Nov 29, 2015
No matter how bad a road is, some vehicles ply it daily.

You have phobia for long journey, that's all I can see here.

Get a driver or drop the car if you're not confident enough

1 Like

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by chaikie(m): 12:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
Google is your friend bro..... Plus ask lots of questions because one wrong turn can cost you hours! Don't be scared, just see it as an adventure. Safe trip!
Poster above me should take a chill pill!
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 29, 2015
That's a long journey u plan on making.. First of all, go and read Nurey's thread as a precaution.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by MPVGoddess: 1:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
Go to google maps and input your starting destination and stopping destination so it will give you the options in terms of routes.

Then go to the AKTC park and try to have a chat with drivers that do Uyo to Ilorin and ask them of all the routes you found, which one do they recommend you take and why.

You can ever broker a deal to follow one of them.

When I took such a trip, I didn't speak to the transporters but I did do the Google thing. And listed all the cities I must pass through on a piece of paper and stopped to ask for directions from time to time.

If you have a smartphone, it would be helpful too, as you can use either Google Maps, Here+ or Sygic to guide you.

It is doable but ensure all fluid levels are at their maximum and carry a spare tire or two since you do not know the way.

Slow down when you meet bad roads and don't play with potholes

Carry at least 10,000.00 to 20,000.00 in cash over and above petrol money for the trip, and keep the rest of the your money in the bank in an account accessible via ATM just in case.

Ensure you have nothing less than 6 to 8 hours of sleep, although for me the excitement of the trip makes me hardly do 6 hours. But you need maximum alertness to ensure you deal with the mistakes other drivers might make, and the conditions that you will meet on the road

Since its your first time on such a route, don't try to drive faster than 120 Km/h.

5 Likes

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by nurey(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
UYO to ILORIN is around 656km an estimated 9 hrs plus, if you are very confident and determined, you can make the journey in a day you don't need to be doing James bond on the road to achieve the day feat. You just need proper timing.

Please first thing first is for the car to be in top notch, be sure it is in working conditon as I will term that internal effect, the others are external effect (which are unforseen/unavoidable circumstances)

Now never leave your home too early especially insecure place, imagine having an unforseen stop at 4:30am, you could meet men of the under world at that ungodly hour, also our express are extremely dangerous at light out periods.

There is not much info needed again, for the journey, just Google your destination and follow a destination link which will show you which state and exactly the area you will pass, it's not good enough to just know the state you have to be exact with the location you are heading in that state else, you will do MERRY GO ROUND. As for holding a map device, be extremely careful cause most roads are express doing two things @ a go can cause accident

You need extra extra tire, a block of plank cause the Sands on the express are always moist it will give rigidity to your jack in case it comes to changing tyre, extra engine oil, extra can of gear oil, have all your tools ready and don't depend on borrowing from other road users.

The most important of all always have courtesy for Officers on the road no matter how nasty or annoying they seem, that little patient can save you extra time.

Let the Gurus also chip in.

1 Like

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by MPVGoddess: 2:13pm On Nov 29, 2015
Complete papers! FRSC and police can be funny without those!!
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by DGD1(m): 4:33pm On Nov 29, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Enter bus.

best advice!
op is not ready to drive the distance.
safe trip bro
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 9:41am On Dec 14, 2015
AND I END UP DOING IT,IT WAS FUN BUT I LEARNT SO MANY THINGS
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by MPVGoddess: 11:02am On Dec 14, 2015
emmaak2:

I told you! You can do it if do the preparations and are pretty careful and have a sound car!

If i followed my folks, I would never have.

I did Lagos abuja from 9am (7up junction Ikeja) to 7.30pm (Maitama, Abuja) on my first try.

Not bad, i would say.

I have since then done countless. Now that am very experienced having done uncountable such trips, I want to reduce the time it takes to do that journey to say 6/7 hours minimum and 8 hours maximum.

Come to think of it, on my way back from that initial trip, I saw a head on collision between a Toyota Hiace bus and a full size luxury bus, which proves my theory that is not necessarily years of experience that can make you complete a journey you start.

The second theory is why own a car, and then put my life in the hands of someone with a different set of value systems? And possibly put myself in harms way to save a few naira?

provided your car is in top shape, if there were a direct land route, you can drive it America and back, and nothing would happen!

4 Likes

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by dino2006(m): 5:04am On Dec 16, 2015
@0p, What has been your experience thus far with the camry 2001 xle? Any thing a first time buyer should know? Tnx.
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by dino2006(m): 1:46pm On Dec 16, 2015
emmaak2:

What has been your experience thus far with the camry 2001 xle? Any thing a first time buyer should know about the car? Common problems, maintenance etc.Tnx.
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:55pm On Dec 16, 2015
emmaak2:

Would you do it again or enter bus next time?
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 16, 2015
MPVGoddess:

I told you! You can do it if do the preparations and are pretty careful and have a sound car!

If i followed my folks, I would never have.

I did Lagos abuja from 9am (7up junction Ikeja) to 7.30pm (Maitama, Abuja) on my first try.

Not bad, i would say.

I have since then done countless. Now that am very experienced having done uncountable such trips, I want to reduce the time it takes to do that journey to say 6/7 hours minimum and 8 hours maximum.

Come to think of it, on my way back from that initial trip, I saw a head on collision between a Toyota Hiace bus and a full size luxury bus, which proves my theory that is not necessarily years of experience that can make you complete a journey you start.

The second theory is why own a car, and then put my life in the hands of someone with a different set of value systems? And possibly put myself in harms way to save a few naira?

provided your car is in top shape, if there were a direct land route, you can drive it America and back, and nothing would happen!
no vex, are u female?
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 8:46am On Dec 17, 2015
dino2006:

What has been your experience thus far with the camry 2001 xle? Any thing a first time buyer should know about the car? Common problems, maintenance etc.Tnx.

PROPER MAINTAINANCE

1 Like

Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 8:47am On Dec 17, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

BUS O,IT WAS NOT FUNNY ,WILL POST THE DETAILS LETA
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 7:10am On Mar 31, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

boss i have issues this,when moving the car it is draging n will off wen marchin d brake..what do you think?
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:20am On Mar 31, 2016
emmaak2:

boss i have issues this,when moving the car it is draging n will off wen marchin d brake..what do you think?

misfire, idle speed valve, fuel pressure and a host of other faults could cause it. A simple scan and diagnosis could solve the problem.
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 7:33am On Mar 31, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

misfire, idle speed valve, fuel pressure and a host of other faults could cause it. A simple scan and diagnosis could solve the problem.

tHANK YOU SIR...
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 8:21am On Mar 31, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Car scanning can take up to 5k?
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by shotuns: 7:14am On Apr 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Oga GAZZUZZ, I'm loving your work, response to every question asked. I would like your expertise on car servicing. I have a Dodge Durango Sport Utility 2002 and is about due for servicing. Do you do servicing? How long will it take and the cost? Thanks bro...waiting for your reply.
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:31am On Apr 04, 2016
shotuns:

Oga GAZZUZZ, I'm loving your work, response to every question asked. I would like your expertise on car servicing. I have a Dodge Durango Sport Utility 2002 and is about due for servicing. Do you do servicing? How long will it take and the cost? Thanks bro...waiting for your reply.

what type of oil have you been using?
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by shotuns: 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what type of oil have you been using?

I use Mobil.
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 4:57pm On Jun 11, 2019
years back
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by idu1(m): 5:34pm On Jun 11, 2019
emmaak2:
years back
You don change car?
Re: A New Driver Who Needs Help by emmaak2(m): 9:49pm On Dec 31, 2021
idu1:
You don change car?

Change ke
Car still active o

Those years sha
Now I can't take such risk

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Help Needed Toyota Corolla 03 / I Am Considering DIY: From SUV To Pickup / Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.