Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Why I Love Ruby - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Love Ruby (10312 Views)

Ruby World: Ruby Programming Whatsapp Group / Were Can I Download Free Video Tutorials On Javascript Or Ruby / Were Can I Download Free Video Tutorials On Javascript Or Ruby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Love Ruby by harryobas: 4:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
I have almost 3 years experience in Ruby. And here are some aspects of the language I value the most. Some of them made me love Ruby from the day one, others I learnt to appreciate along the way.

Syntax
It lets the programmer express his ideas in very terse way while remaining easily readable at the same time. If well written, it often reads almost like plain English. You can learn a ton just by reading other people's code and this is actually how I learned the language.

Features
Closures, metaprogramming, pure Object Orientation to name a few. They make Ruby a very flexible language. For example it's very easy to create a nice DSL using these features.

Conventions
Despite the fact that Ruby is very flexible, people tend to follow certain conventions. One can speak of "The Ruby Way" of doing things. You can have certain expectations on other people's code (both design and formatting) and they're satisfied most of the time.

Testing culture
That one struck me immediately especially that I came from Java/C# world. Almost every rubygem includes automatic tests. You would probably feel ashamed to release any open-source Ruby code that is not properly tested. This is great, because it increases trust in other people's code and greatly contributes to overall quality of the code.

Tools
The Ruby ecosystem is large and fast-evolving. But there are awesome tools that let you automate tedious tasks, so you can focus on writing code. Bundler for managing dependencies. RVM or RbEnv for version management. Capistrano or Mina for deployment. I can't imagine living without those anymore. Also you can find an open-sourced rubygem for almost anything.

Ruby on Rails
Last but not least. This was the reason why I came to Ruby. I was stunned how much one can achieve with such little effort, especially comparing it with MVC frameworks that I was familiar with at that time.

Some people argue that Rails evolve too fast to keep up even for experienced developers and becomes less friendly for newcomers. That is true and I find it hard to keep up with the pace myself, but I see it as a good side of Rails. I love the fact that it is getting new features even if I'm not ready yet to use them all. Just check what's soon coming in Rails 4: support for streaming and single page applications, better caching. These are the real needs of today's web.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:16pm On Dec 22, 2015
I will like to learn Ruby, Python and C for web development. Before Java, C++ and Erlang for app development. . . And i dont have a laptop to learn. Do have any idea
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Karlebolu(m): 8:01pm On Dec 29, 2015
ANTONINEUTRON:
I will like to learn
Ruby, Python and C for web development.
Before
Java, C++ and Erlang for app development.
And i dont have a laptop to learn.
Do have any idea

If you own a Droid, go to Play Store and download Sand IDE, you can practice Java et C++ with it(I think) .
Re: Why I Love Ruby by leumas2009: 9:29am On Mar 01, 2016
I require the services of an experienced Ruby on Rails developer win an immediate start in Lagos. Please send me an email to samuel@thoughtstudiosng.com
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 9:51am On Mar 01, 2016
Ruby is slow. Same as python.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 10:59am On Mar 01, 2016
asalimpo:
How is it slow in dis 21st century where JIT compiler is d order of d day
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 9:53pm On Mar 02, 2016
Olumyco:

How is it slow in dis 21st century where JIT compiler is d order of d day
ruby is so slow it's not an option for certain classes of software.
Do your research. It's not called scripting language for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 11:31pm On Mar 02, 2016
asalimpo:

ruby is so slow it's not an option for certain classes of software.
Do your research. It's not called scripting language for nothing.

What is ur definition of "slow" as pertaining 2 d language and in relation 2 other languages. because d implementation of d language is not a language tin but an environment tin.... The scripting u said is an environment tin and not a language tin... The "slow tin" is much an environment tin.. Not much d language....

So if I develop a compiler and use it to implement ruby... what abt dat?

Let's try to always differentiate a "Language" from d way it is implemented...

I think dat solves a lot of problem 4 us

For a single language we can have an interpreter and a compiler

That's is d case with many programming language 2day
C has interpreters, ruby has compilers and so on....

I believe u will agree with me dat d addition of JIT and AOT to our Interpreters have successfully increased d performance of d interpreters and not worsen dem...

YARV, Rubinius and so on are there 4 u 2 explore

Thanks. ..
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 12:03am On Mar 03, 2016
Olumyco:

What is ur definition of "slow" as pertaining 2 d language and in relation 2 other languages. because d implementation of d language is not a language tin but an environment tin.... The scripting u said is an environment tin and not a language tin... The "slow tin" is much an environment tin.. Not much d language....

So if I develop a compiler and use it to implement ruby... what abt dat?

Let's try to always differentiate a "Language" from d way it is implemented...

I think dat solves a lot of problem 4 us

For a single language we can have an interpreter and a compiler

That's is d case with many programming language 2day
C has interpreters, ruby has compilers and so on....

I believe u will agree with me dat d addition of JIT and AOT to our Interpreters have successfully increased d performance of d interpreters and not worsen dem...

YARV, Rubinius and so on are there 4 u 2 explore

Thanks. ..

What is your definition of fast?
When it is said c/c++ is blazing fast dyu ask what the definition is?
No.
But if you want benchmarks they abound on the net.
You can also note that critical performant applications arent written in slow languages like ruby,python etc.
E.g financial trading software, wouldnt use python or god forbid,ruby for their main engine.
For desktop clients,maybe . But for the core engine,where a few seconds could spell huge losses or gains in money, faster languages are used.
Don't ask me to define fast here. You should know better than that.
#this is off the main point
Besides, in the enterprise, python and ruby are no go.
Java ee and dot net rule.

The thing is the things that make ruby,python easy to code small programs with , also make them hard to build large systems with.
Because with large massive systems,more structure is needed,
less laissez-fairre.
That's where more disciplined languages begin to shine.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by danidee10(m): 6:30am On Mar 03, 2016
asalimpo:

Build ur own lang na. undecided....yes they're slow compared to compiled languages
Re: Why I Love Ruby by danidee10(m): 6:33am On Mar 03, 2016
asalimpo:

No.
You can also note that critical performant applications arent written in slow languages like ruby,python etc.
E.g financial trading software, wouldnt use python or god forbid,ruby for their main engine.
For desktop clients,maybe . But for the core engine,where a few seconds could spell huge losses or gains in money, faster languages are used.

The thing is the things that make ruby,python easy to code small programs with , also make them hard to build large systems with.
less laissez-fairre.

You're wrong about enterprise.....it depends on what the company is into
Re: Why I Love Ruby by danidee10(m): 6:34am On Mar 03, 2016
Everything the OP said mirrors my love for python.....except that its easier to read compared to ruby
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 11:18am On Mar 03, 2016
asalimpo:

No.

less laissez-fairre.

Asalimpo u r funny.....

U r talking as if d issue of fast/slow is as a result of d language.

I am here to tell u dat it is a function of how d language is implemented (that is complied or interpreted) and not d structure of d language

For ur information Ruby is not only interpreted, it is also compiled...

jRuby and ironRuby are compilers used to compile Ruby and dey are very fast at implementing Ruby...

jRuby compiles Ruby to bytecodes (Java bytecodes) and from there it is interpreted.... Just like Java....

Java too is compiled by Javac (JDK) to bytecodes and from there it is interpreted by JVM (JRE)

The .net u mention too implements ruby thru ironRuby which compiles Ruby to MSIL code and from there it is interpreted.... Just like C#, Vb.net and so on. ...

However, Java and .net u mentioned all use JIT Compilers in their interpreters to enhance performance (i.e to b fast)

So my problem is, on what basis r u debating d issue: "fast/slow"

I stick to d point dat the rate of performance of a language is much an environment tin and not d language itself....

An Ordinary interpreter is slow dat is why JIT/AOT are used as optimizers to make it very fast just as codes dat r compiled....

Everybody knows dat when a code is complied directly 2 machine code and stored in a file they r very fast...
It was dis idea dat gave birth 2 JIT/AOT compilers bin developed and added to our Interpreters so dat codes too can b compiled and stored in memory (a kind of cache)....

You cannot reduce d power of JIT and AOT compilers 4 dey indeed achieved their purpose...

That is why JavaScript(nodeJs) can b shinning with V8 JavaScript Engine

U were talking abt powerful softwares

It will interest u 2 know dat GitHub (GitHub Code Repository), Shopify etc were developed with Ruby

Many of Google Web Apps run on Python

Cinema 4D, Blender 3D etc are powerful softwares developed with python...

There r many others

We r not here to compare performance with languages like C or C++ but I am here to tell u dat d era of "slow slow" is gone 4 Companies who av decided 2 embrace JIT/AOT Compilers and incorporate it into dier Interpreters and also 4 dose who av developed a Compiler 4 dier Language.

So Boss Asalimpo that is it.... U don't av to hate Ruby, Python and co
I know u r after performance but I can assure u dat d era of slow slow is gone..... Let ur mind b @ rest change is here programmers r not sleeping ..... we r all trying to make make tins work and God has given us breakthru by making JIT/AOT compilers 2 b accomplished...

Thanks
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 11:46am On Mar 03, 2016
danidee10:

You're wrong about enterprise.....it depends on what the company is into
high available systems . Large systems, critical system with zero downtime.
Systems with high loads with lots of transaction management and messaging.
Because of the criticalness of such systems, more secure languages are required. Those with inbuilt static typing,to catch many classes of error at runtime.
Dynamic languages are just to weak for building these kind of systems. Imagine a bank running its back end software off ruby/php/python? By the time python or ruby would resolve the type of a variable precious time wouldve passed by. Not worth it.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 12:12pm On Mar 03, 2016
Olumyco:

Asalimpo u r funny.....

U r talking as if d issue of fast/slow is as a result of d language.

I am here to tell u dat it is a function of how d language is implemented (that is complied or interpreted) and not d structure of d language

For ur information Ruby is not only interpreted, it is also compiled...

jRuby and ironRuby are compilers used to compile Ruby and dey are very fast at implementing Ruby...

jRuby compiles Ruby to bytecodes (Java bytecodes) and from there it is interpreted.... Just like Java....

Java too is compiled by Javac (JDK) to bytecodes and from there it is interpreted by JVM (JRE)

The .net u mention too implements ruby thru ironRuby which compiles Ruby to MSIL code and from there it is interpreted.... Just like C#, Vb.net and so on. ...

However, Java and .net u mentioned all use JIT Compilers in their interpreters to enhance performance (i.e to b fast)

So my problem is, on what basis r u debating d issue: "fast/slow"

I stick to d point dat the rate of performance of a language is much an environment tin and not d language itself....

An Ordinary interpreter is slow dat is why JIT/AOT are used as optimizers to make it very fast just as codes dat r compiled....

Everybody knows dat when a code is complied directly 2 machine code and stored in a file they r very fast...
It was dis idea dat gave birth 2 JIT/AOT compilers bin developed and added to our Interpreters so dat codes too can b compiled and stored in memory (a kind of cache)....

You cannot reduce d power of JIT and AOT compilers 4 dey indeed achieved their purpose...

That is why JavaScript(nodeJs) can b shinning with V8 JavaScript Engine

U were talking abt powerful softwares

It will interest u 2 know dat GitHub (GitHub Code Repository), Shopify etc were developed with Ruby

Many of Google Web Apps run on Python

Cinema 4D, Blender 3D etc are powerful softwares developed with python...

There r many others

We r not here to compare performance with languages like C or C++ but I am here to tell u dat d era of "slow slow" is gone 4 Companies who av decided 2 embrace JIT/AOT Compilers and incorporate it into dier Interpreters and also 4 dose who av developed a Compiler 4 dier Language.

So Boss Asalimpo that is it.... U don't av to hate Ruby, Python and co
I know u r after performance but I can assure u dat d era of slow slow is gone..... Let ur mind b @ rest change is here programmers r not sleeping ..... we r all trying to make make tins work and God has given us breakthru by making JIT/AOT compilers 2 b accomplished...

Thanks

the era of language speed being gone is false. With every improvement in processor speed ,faster larger systems will be created . So faster languages will always be in demand.

Yes, ruby and python are compiled bf being run but programs still execute by reading the script; compiling it before execution.
That's why they often come with REPL environments.
But they still have to read a script, which is time consuming.
Faster languages run from precompiled binaries. This is where the difference lies.

Fact still remains that, this languages do a lot of hand holding for the programmer,in other to appear beginner friendly and gain adoption.
List comprehension e.g in python ,ruby may spoil the programmer. He achieves in one line ,what a c,c++ java coder may take 10+ lines to achieve. Are you telling,that that piece of one-liner is not going to require lots of code to be generated by the compiler?
All those super constructs incur huge compiler cost. Worse so,because the compiler has to work each time the script is run.

Github,quora are server based software. Powerful servers, with powerful processors and possibly optimizers are employed on the code base.
Engineers work to reduce the cost of working with these languages.
You'll rarely see end user performant software written in these scripting languages.
Spreadsheets, database engines, word processors,browsers, media players etc. They could work but they'll be too slow.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by danidee10(m): 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2016
asalimpo:

high available systems . Large systems, critical system with zero downtime.
Systems with high loads with lots of transaction management and messaging.
Because of the criticalness of such systems, more secure languages are required. Those with inbuilt static typing,to catch many classes of error at runtime.
Dynamic languages are just to weak for building these kind of systems. Imagine a bank running its back end software off ruby/php/python? By the time python or ruby would resolve the type of a variable precious time wouldve passed by. Not worth it.

You're right but still wrong.....not all enterprise software is as critical as you describe it....so interpreted languages still have their space in the enterprise world
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2016
danidee10:

You're right but still wrong.....not all enterprise software is as critical as you describe it....so interpreted languages still have their space in the enterprise world

it depends on the enterprise. For small businesses, a script that talks to a database sitting on a webserver is ok.
These is not a full enterprise application. But a subset.
For large businesses, higher architecture is required. All clients maynt be web browsers,it could be other applications. Etc. You could hand code and hand architect, these in ruby,python
but i dont see such apps with their interpreted nature holding up under heavy load.
Think of nyse backbone system implemented in python/ruby/php
(not just the web components).
Complex systems with code bases numbering in the millions!

There's a reason why enterprise frameworks are written in java,c++, dot net languages.
The language is critical to the performance of the framework.

1 Like

Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 12:05am On Mar 04, 2016
asalimpo:

the era of language speed being gone is false. With every improvement in processor speed ,faster larger systems will be created . So faster languages will always be in demand.

Yes, ruby and python are compiled bf being run but programs still execute by reading the script; compiling it before execution.
That's why they often come with REPL environments.
But they still have to read a script, which is time consuming.
Faster languages run from precompiled binaries. This is where the difference lies.

Fact still remains that, this languages do a lot of hand holding for the programmer,in other to appear beginner friendly and gain adoption.
List comprehension e.g in python ,ruby may spoil the programmer. He achieves in one line ,what a c,c++ java coder may take 10+ lines to achieve. Are you telling,that that piece of one-liner is not going to require lots of code to be generated by the compiler?
All those super constructs incur huge compiler cost. Worse so,because the compiler has to work each time the script is run.

Github,quora are server based software. Powerful servers, with powerful processors and possibly optimizers are employed on the code base.
Engineers work to reduce the cost of working with these languages.
You'll rarely see end user performant software written in these scripting languages.
Spreadsheets, database engines, word processors,browsers, media players etc. They could work but they'll be too slow.

Is like U r not getting what I am saying. Some of the tins U wrote here are not valid. And again U r mixing tins up.

Let me highlight some of d issues we need to resolve

Issues:
1.Understanding dat speed is not "much" a language tin but dat of an "Implementer" - Compilers & Interpreters

2.Understanding dat Ordinary Interpreter is different from JIT Optimized Interpreter

3.Understanding how JIT Compiler works

4.Understanding dat Java & .net language are compiled and interpreted

5.Understanding d difference between Performance and Productivity as a base for Enterprise Softwares

Starting with 1....

The following determines the speed of a program

a. Type of Implementation - Conventional Compiler, JIT Compiler & Interpreter

b. Algorithm/Data Structure of codes - This lies in d hand of the programmer

c. Abstraction layer of the language

Like I earlier said speed is much rooted in implementation dan d others listed.

Conventional Compiler translate code to machine language and store it in file on the disk

JIT Compiler translate codes to machine language and store them in memory.

Interpreter translate codes to machine language but never stored. It translate line by line to machine code at runtime.

Like I said earlier anybody or company can come up with a compiler to compile language dat are traditionally interpreted...

U said "python and co are compiled b4 being run but programs execute by reading the script". I have not seen any compiler or interpreter dat does dat.

JIT optimized Interpreters compile codes at runtime and also interpret them at runtime at first, second calls (based on use). The subsequent calls to d app begins to run majorly on the code already compiled while codes dat r not on recurrent use r interpreted.This is how speed is achieved in the mordern Interpreters.

For ur info Java used to be slow b4. C# used to be slow b4. JavaScript used to be slow b4. So are python, ruby and so on but the advent of JIT Compiler changed the whole story. Codes r now being optimized for performance. JVM - Java Interpreter use to be slow but d insertion of JIT Compiler increase d speed of the Interpreter

Again I said what is ur basis for "Slow"? When is a language slow?... what is d benchmark? because u have to tell us ur set limit/boundary. So that when a language is not able to cross d set boundary, then we know d language is slow.

Like I said earlier I am not comparing performance with other languages but U cannot say dat because C is faster dan ruby, dat ruby is slow... It is better put - Ruby is not as fast as C. But besides d listed factors above r d reasons 4 dat.

That Usain Bolt is d fastest runner does not make Asafa Powell a slow runner. By comparison Bolt is faster dan him but he is still fast (he was once a champion)...

Even if we want to analyze Languages in terms of speed... I can say Assembly language is faster dan C. C is faster dan C++. C++ is faster dan Java, C#, JavaScript and so on...

There is variation in d speed of dis lang because of d above listed factors. And it is not much a language tin. The only place language comes in is abstraction layer and dis is what C is using to edge a little above C++ because both r compiled by conventional compilers. Also Assembly is faster dan C because of abstraction layer. C is much closer 2 d hardware, we can say it has a low abstraction layer. U consider many too many tins in C coding dan in other languages which has helped C 2 b very fast as d compiler is not over-burdened by checks, memory management etc.

Lets take a practical example.

Now today JavaScript is very fast. It is faster dan Python, ruby and co...
The issue is why? They are traditionally interpreted but what happened? is there any special tin about d language structure of JavaScript? They r both dynamic, OOP and so on. What could be happening?

You can go and do ur research. Big Companies like Google, Mozilla and Microsoft are investing so much into JavaScript and dat is why JavaScript is this fast.
Just look at V8 JavaScript Engine, it is very fast. The fastest of all JavaScript engine, yet the other engines too uses JIT Compilers desame way V8 uses it.

JavaScript is faster dan python, ruby and co not becos dere is anythin special abt d language compare to python and ruby dat has made it so fast but because dis big companies invested so much into JavaScript to ensure dat it is fast by coming up with an advanced JIT Compiler. Google developed V8 and d story of JavaScript changed. U can see other companies r using V8 for their Engines to develop other tins

Look at Rhino (JavaScript Engine) which uses a conventional compiler and interpreter just like Java.
Rhino compiles JavaScript to Java bytecodes and then interprets it. This is desame principle dat Java and C# use. Yet V8 which does not use a conventional Compiler is able to beat Rhino hands down.

You can see what implementation can do 2 a language.

If U begin 2 check languages one by one and can analyse them in terms of speed u will see dat the issue of speed/performance lies much in Implementation.

U talked about Enterprise Software...
Do U know d basis 4 enterprise Software...
Enterprise software leverages between performance and productivity.

That is why Java, .net and co can come in. If it is only performance, Java and .net U mentioned cannot even go near.

Enterprise software is even more of productivity these days because performance is not a big deal again. Even C as fast as it is, is not used for Enterprise Software these days, C++ is mostly used. This is because C++ has high productivity dan C. And also it is one of d languages dat has both high productivity and high performance. But with that Python and Ruby still have high productivity dan C++.

We can conclude like this dat if d enterprise software is much of productivity and relatively good performance python and co can fit in. But when very high performance is need and low productivity like developing the kernel of an OS, then C, assembly are best fit. Infact Java does not come close. This is d reason most kernel of OS r written with C and assembly.

Also get this, languages like python, Ruby, JavaScript etc r used 4 Enterprise Software... I already mentioned some examples which is Cinema 4D, Blender 3D etc being written in python.

Well there is much into dis area if we are to start analyzing Performance and Productivity.

Sorry 4 d epistle...
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Nobody: 12:08am On Mar 04, 2016
The epistle long like lagos-ibadan, i need summary please.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 12:08am On Mar 04, 2016
asalimpo:

it depends on the enterprise. For small businesses, a script that talks to a database sitting on a webserver is ok.
These is not a full enterprise application. But a subset.
For large businesses, higher architecture is required. All clients maynt be web browsers,it could be other applications. Etc. You could hand code and hand architect, these in ruby,python
but i dont see such apps with their interpreted nature holding up under heavy load.
Think of nyse backbone system implemented in python/ruby/php
(not just the web components).
Complex systems with code bases numbering in the millions!

There's a reason why enterprise frameworks are written in java,c++, dot net languages.
The language is critical to the performance of the framework.

The direction of Enterprise Software you are taking does not even favour C# and Java U r mentioning.

Ok... mention to us examples of popular database engines, spreadsheets, browsers and so on dat r written in C# and Java.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 8:14am On Mar 04, 2016
Olumyco:

The direction of Enterprise Software you are taking does not even favour C# and Java U r mentioning.

Ok... mention to us examples of popular database engines, spreadsheets, browsers and so on dat r written in C# and Java.

spreadsheet = Integer (not popular but ..)
database = derby (bundled with jdk. I think there's also 1 by ibm)
browser= i know of 2 experimental browsers but i think the projects are abandoned.

after c,c++ java/c# (dot net) is usually the only viable alternative for best performance because of its speed , structure , security.

1 Like

Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 9:52am On Mar 04, 2016
Ok Boss Asalimpo. ..

Here is dat of Python

Spreadsheets - Pyspread

Database Engine - LanderDB, tinyDB, buzhug and so on

Browser - Grail

Media Player - Bluemindo, Python pygame media player

Here is dat of JavaScript

Spreadsheets - JSpreadsheets

Database Engine - Datavore, Lovefield, noSQL embedded db, JSON ODM, TaffyDB etc

Browser - Breach

Media Player - Projekktor, Brado

Here is dat of ruby

Database Engine - db database by Selvan

Browser - Ruby-webkit-browser

Media Player - Keseiv Chiefs
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 10:21am On Mar 04, 2016
In essence, any turing complete language can be used to write any program. That doesnt make all turing complete languages equal to each other on every scale otherwise, they'd be no point creating new languages or discriminating on what language to use on a project.

The more a language shields the programmer from dealing directly with the machine,the slower it performs and vice versa and the less power and control the programmer wields with it.

There's a reason facebook created technology to make php execute faster (hhvm). Interpreted php was just too slow for them.
Same thing applies to ruby and python.
In some situations theyre ok but in others,theyre too slow to be taken seriously.

Any real programmer should learn a non vm language(e.g c,c++), a fast vm language(java,c#), a scripting lang(python,ruby,perl,php,javascript) and a functional lang(lisp,clojure,scala).

1 Like

Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
asalimpo:
In essence, any turing complete language can be used to write any program. That doesnt make all turing complete languages equal to each other on every scale otherwise, they'd be no point creating new languages or discriminating on what language to use on a project.

The more a language shields the programmer from dealing directly with the machine,the slower it performs and vice versa and the less power and control the programmer wields with it.

There's a reason facebook created technology to make php execute faster (hhvm). Interpreted php was just too slow for them.
Same thing applies to ruby and python.
In some situations theyre ok but in others,theyre too slow to be taken seriously.

Any real programmer should learn a non vm language(e.g c,c++), a fast vm language(java,c#), a scripting lang(python,ruby,perl,php,javascript) and a functional lang(lisp,clojure,scala).

Boss Asalimpo good one.

Thanks 4 dis post. Love d way u sited d example of Facebook/php/hhvm. ...

I also love dis "
The more a language shields the programmer from dealing directly with the machine,the slower it performs and vice versa and the less power and control the programmer wields with it".

So I am now expecting u to grow d community of Ruby and Python and work on dier JIT compilers 2 increase dier speed more like Facebook work on php JIT compilers giving birth 2 hhvm and also as Google worked on JavaScript JIT Compilers giving birth 2 V8.

As for ruby there is dis new VM called YARV dat is fast dat U can work on to improve so as to be faster.

This is anoda programming challenge 4 U...
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 9:27pm On Mar 04, 2016
Olumyco:

Boss Asalimpo good one.

Thanks 4 dis post. Love d way u sited d example of Facebook/php/hhvm. ...

I also love dis "
The more a language shields the programmer from dealing directly with the machine,the slower it performs and vice versa and the less power and control the programmer wields with it".

So I am now expecting u to grow d community of Ruby and Python and work on dier JIT compilers 2 increase dier speed more like Facebook work on php JIT compilers giving birth 2 hhvm and also as Google worked on JavaScript JIT Compilers giving birth 2 V8.

As for ruby there is dis new VM called YARV dat is fast dat U can work on to improve so as to be faster.

This is anoda programming challenge 4 U...

What's with the sarcasm and slimy patronage?
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Nmeri17: 5:54am On Mar 09, 2016
harryobas:

Syntax
it often reads almost like plain English.

Tools
there are awesome tools that let you automate tedious tasks. I can't imagine living without those anymore. Also you can find an open-sourced rubygem for almost anything.

Ruby on Rails
Last but not least. This was the reason why I came to Ruby. I was stunned how much one can achieve with such little effort

If the text in bold is anything to go by, then it must be a very lazy man's language. Matter of fact, you sound like a girl or a gay boy in his developmental stages seeking self discovery (no offense tho). My advice is, you man up and come back to reality. Life is not a bed of "Rubies" And you said 'you're coming from a Java background'?? pffft! I can only imagine what an uninspiring developer you were. All the best sha smiley
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 7:55am On Mar 09, 2016
Nmeri17:
If the text in bold is anything to go by, then it must be a very lazy man's language. Matter of fact, you sound like a girl or a gay boy in his developmental stages seeking self discovery (no offense tho). My advice is, you man up and come back to reality. Life is not a bed of "Rubies" And you said 'you're coming from a Java background'?? pffft! I can only imagine what an uninspiring developer you were. All the best sha smiley

The Interpretation of all u pointed out as pertaining to Ruby is simply PRODUCTIVITY!

The productivity rocks starting from d learning stage to d professional stage. ...

Languages like dat r referred to as very high level languages

Productivity optimizes *Programmer's time.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by asalimpo(m): 10:57am On Mar 09, 2016
Languages like ruby,python,php etc allow people who probably shouldve had nothing to do building software swarm into the profession in droves.

Usually unimaginative,lazy minded folks that want the language to do everything for them so they dont think hard.

But all that hand holding and pampering comes at a cost. Speed , security and robustness.
Ruby and python are snail slow.
Php is a mess. Allows for sloppy coding.
For programmers coming from more disciplined languages, ruby and co, are just tools to save time.
To whip up quick n dirty scripts sometimes.
But for newbies,too lazy to think, they usually start with these languages and stay there. Never moving on to higher ,more rigorous languages while hiding their laziness under the excuse of being "productive".
Processors are getting faster but efficient languages are still in demand.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Nmeri17: 3:24pm On Mar 09, 2016
Olumyco:

The Interpretation of all u pointed out as pertaining to Ruby is simply PRODUCTIVITY!
The productivity rocks starting from d learning stage to d professional stage. ...

Languages like dat r referred to as very high level languages.
Productivity optimizes *Programmer's time....

....and heightens/maximizes his dormancy and potential to be inert smiley How could you forget those? wink This is the very same mantra sung by framework apologetics and I'm not the best challenger to debate with about its "many" advantages. If time of output matters to you more than pound for pound individual code power, we'll probably go back and forth with neither party conceding at the end of the day. So stick to your candies rubies and stay productive kiss
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Nmeri17: 3:32pm On Mar 09, 2016
asalimpo:
Sorry, what do you use for your web stuff
mawdified
I just went through your profile. ummm...never mind sad My doubts were duly confirmed
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 4:45pm On Mar 09, 2016
asalimpo:
Languages like ruby,python,php etc allow people who probably shouldve had nothing to do building software swarm into the profession in droves.

Usually unimaginative,lazy minded folks that want the language to do everything for them so they dont think hard.

But all that hand holding and pampering comes at a cost. Speed , security and robustness.
Ruby and python are snail slow.
Php is a mess. Allows for sloppy coding.
For programmers coming from more disciplined languages, ruby and co, are just tools to save time.
To whip up quick n dirty scripts sometimes.
But for newbies,too lazy to think, they usually start with these languages and stay there. Never moving on to higher ,more rigorous languages while hiding their laziness under the excuse of being "productive".
Processors are getting faster but efficient languages are still in demand.

So u hate Ruby, Python, php etc like dis. U r funny......

Point of correction these languages r not 4 lazy pple. That d learning curve of dese lang r easy do not automatically transit 2 laziness. If u really want to prove a point in this vein it would av bin beta 4 U (and many of us) 2 learn assembly or probably C and stick to it alone.
Re: Why I Love Ruby by Olumyco(m): 5:06pm On Mar 09, 2016
Nmeri17:
....and heightens/maximizes his dormancy and potential to be inert smiley How could you forget those? wink This is the very same mantra sung by framework apologetics and I'm not the best challenger to debate with about its "many" advantages. If time of output matters to you more than pound for pound individual code power, we'll probably go back and forth with neither party conceding at the end of the day. So stick to your candies rubies and stay productive kiss

Boss Nmeri17 no b fight now..... I am just telling what d language and similar languages r all about. Every language has its own strengths and weaknesses. Talking abt potential, it's a function of many tins.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? / Let's Build An App That Can Predict Bet9ja Virtual League (FUN PROJECT) / Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.