Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Zain For Sale! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Zain For Sale! (1383 Views)

How Can I Use My Fone As Modem For Browsing With My Laptop (mtn, Glo, Zain Etc) / Ip Address For Free Internet On Zain Zambia Or Mtn Zambia / Let Me Activate Your Zain For:internet,wap & Mms** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Zain For Sale! by Reptyle(m): 10:04am On Jun 10, 2009
Zain up for sale again

By Clara Nwachukwu with Agency reports

June 10, 2009 09:47AMT
print email

Kuwait-based telecom company Zain Group has announced its intentions to sell off its African mobile networks. No reason was given for why Zain is looking to sell the African division.

Reports say the group is hoping to get a handsome sum of $12 billion from an unnamed French prospective buyer.

It is not yet clear how the sale will affect Zain Nigeria’s operation, which this week out sourced a major part of its service operations to mobile giant Ericcson. If the French deal succeeds, the group is set for yet another name change.

However, Zains spokesperson, Emeka Oparah, in a telephone interview with NEXT said: “I am not aware of the development. I only saw it as an alert from Google today, so I cannot say anything on it right now. Hopefully by tomorrow morning more information will start flowing on it.”

The sale of the former Celtel’s assets is estimated to be worth up to $12 billion, including debt, reports the Dow Jones Newswire, citing the Al Qabas newspaper.

Celtel was founded by Sudanese-born, Mo Ibrahim, in 1998 and sold to Kuwiat’s MTC (now Zain) in April 2005 for $3.4 billion.

The Zain Group is waiting for a reply from the French company this week and if the deal isn’t settled, Zain will study bids made by other companies in India and China, as the deal will inject ample cash liquidity into company.

Zain Nigeria, formerly known as Celtel Nigeria, was established in 2000 as Econet Wireless, by a group of institutional and private investors as well as three state governments: Lagos, Delta, and Akwa Ibom States.

Prior to its change of name to Celtel, the company was known as VMobile Nigeria owned by Vee Networks Limited.

In 2006, following Celtel International’s acquisition of majority stake in the company, it was re-branded Celtel and became an important part of Celtel’s pan-African operations spanning 14 countries.

Celtel Nigeria was rebranded Zain Nigeria on August 1, 2008, following the global acquisition of Celtel International by MTC Group, which transformed to Zain Group, a leading emerging markets player in the field of telecommunications, aiming to become one of the top ten mobile groups in the world by 2011.

It made history on August 5, 2001 by becoming the first telecoms operator to launch commercial GSM services in Nigeria.

http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5423363-146/story.csp

Looks like Zain "INSANE" Nigeria is set for another change in identity. When will it ever end?
Re: Zain For Sale! by donjon: 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2009
Zain users like me are in 4 anoda gprs provisioning race !

(1) (Reply)

Needs Opera Mini 4.2 Multi Mode / Dead/crappy Nokia N95 Needed / Hackulous Shuts Down: Installous Gone...bye Bye Cracked Ios Apps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.