Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. (41611 Views)

Before You Die, Please Travel To Idanre Hills (pictures) / Driver Kills Okadaman At Ita-oloro, Idanre-akure Road, Ondo (Graphic Pics) / All About IDANRE HILLS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by scholes0(m): 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
http://yorubaparapo.com/thread/295/scenic-town-idanre

Idanre is an ancient historic town located on a scenic hilly area. The town is located about 20 km southeast of Akure and is one of the major towns in Idanre Local Government Area of Ondo State in Southwest Nigeria. It falls within latitude 9o8’N and latitude 5o5’ of equator and Greenwich meridian respectively.
The headquarters of the local government area is located in the town of Owena.

The hilly town, which is one of the highest Cocoa producers in Nigeria, was formally called “Ufeke(Ife Oke)”. It is a few kilometers away from Akure, the capital of Ondo state and about 335 kilometres from Lagos. Idanre hill is one of the most awesome and beautiful natural landscapes in Ondo State and Nigeria. Added to its beauty which fires human curiosity is the fact that the entire people of Idanre lived on these boulders for almost a millennium.
Since emigration down hill in 1923, the topography, vegetation as well as the fauna and floral life have remained undistributed. However the festivals provides occasions for reconciliation of the low-landers and their natural environments as well as reenactments or .historical episodes in local Idanre history and its wider Yoruba ideology, mythology and confederacy.

There is the Ogun festival, which is partly celebrated on top of the hills during October and Ije festival, which spread over seven days.
Apart from the festivals, which make the site a living tradition, the flora and fauna of the hills are also unique. There is a special species of tailless animal called Hyrax that lives on the rocks which because of hunting are becoming extinct and there are special monkeys sported near Orosun hills. The town is enclosed by hills that rise up to 3,000ft above sea level, and houses a unique ecosystem upon which the cultural landscape is integrated. The hill is also plays host to a group of scientists and field researchers. The site is home to a group of bats and the people hold a unique festival of bats every year. The hill is being used by filmmakers as location for many of their films. In addition, the one and only Nobel Prize Winner for Literature in Africa Professor Wole Soyinka wrote his longest poem titled "Idanre and other Poems".

It has an area of 1,914 km² and a population of 129,024 at the 2006 census.

The Idanre Cultural landscape has been added to the UNESCO World heritage tentative list

justwise, Lalasticlala, DisGuy, Seun

Source: http://yorubaparapo.com/thread/295/scenic-town-idanre

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by scholes0(m): 4:30pm On Jan 06, 2016
cc: Lalasticlala , Seun
Front Page Please. wink

Anyone who hasn't visited the Idanre Hills before should try to visit, it is indeed a very beautiful place.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by menesheh(m): 5:06pm On Jan 06, 2016
Awesome
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by johnydon22(m): 5:44pm On Jan 06, 2016
Oh this is wonderful... I surely is going to visit here some day

3 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by looseweight: 5:53pm On Jan 06, 2016
I have been there before

3 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by Destined2win: 5:53pm On Jan 06, 2016
WooooooW! These are beautiful pictures smiley

1 Like

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 06, 2016
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by tuna4servi(m): 5:54pm On Jan 06, 2016
Good
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by itstpia8: 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2016
op or whoever, Idanre town is not in Akure.

11 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by ibe9ja: 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2016
The guy under that rock get mind

3 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by Pavore9: 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2016
It should be well packaged for tourism, Nigerians and foreigners will troop there!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by Lasgidy1(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2016
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by ichommy(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2016
Nice one, I planned to visit One day.
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by Smooyis(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2016
Good and lovely
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by OnReflection: 5:59pm On Jan 06, 2016
Idanre, here I come...

Thanks for the enlightenment scholes0.

1 Like

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by ultrazone(m): 5:59pm On Jan 06, 2016
This is beautiful
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by DaFlash: 5:59pm On Jan 06, 2016
SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF HATRED WILL SOON FLOOD THIS TREND wink

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by penzino(m): 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
Cool, But will that lady in purple still be there when I visit?? Just asking anyway.

Its Indeed a beautiful place. Nature at its best.

3 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by peemyke(f): 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
Lovely
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by itstpia8: 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
I wonder why certain elements on nairaland are desperately trying to "buzzword" Akure like their lives are depending on it.

Imagine someone moving this thread to front page and adding "Akure" to the title.

and why did the op in particular open yet another thread for the same topic?

1 Like

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by lightheart(m): 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
itstpia8:
op or whoever, Idanre town is not in Akure.

Where's it?
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by nextstep(m): 6:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
Beautiful! I would like to go there. I hope our tourism folks are adding this to a list of wonderful places in Naija.

OP thanks for sharing... I imagine being among those hills would be magical. With the right investments, that place can be a really big tourist attraction.
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by BCISLTD: 6:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
sad Nigerians will never wear proper kit for anything. ..see that one wearing Pam to a mountain hike....

embarassed me sef follow

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by godman01(m): 6:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
Was there in December, not that nice again.
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by Mariecakes(f): 6:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
Idanre hills!!! Really magical kiss kiss kiss those mountains in ondo state are amazing..Idanre hills, ijesha water fall, Osun grove, etc lovely places in this country..its a big shame our government is not paying attention to other things that can really generate massive income in this country. .everybody wants oyel money grin

7 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by CharleyCharley: 6:06pm On Jan 06, 2016
undecided
Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by nextstep(m): 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2016
itstpia8:
I wonder why certain elements on nairaland are desperately trying to "buzzword" Akure like their lives are depending on it.

Imagine someone moving this thread to front page and adding "Akure" to the title.

and why did the op in particular open yet another thread for the same topic?

It gives context for where it is... Like most people, I may know where Akure is, but not Idanre. If you say it's close to Akure, then I have an idea and might be interested in visiting next time I'm in the area. At least I know it's not too far off the Lagos-Benin express

5 Likes

Re: Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. by sonnie10: 6:09pm On Jan 06, 2016
Some people self, they are can never be polite for once! The girl in the third to the last picture, what was she thinking before putting on a blouse that has the inscription, " Thunder fire U."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UK Set To Ban Nigerian Students, Others From Bringing Their Families Over / All Seven Personnel Die In The Abuja Aircraft Crash - Airforce Confirms / Man Wanted To Pay For His Transport Fare With Bank Transfer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.