Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

- Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / (3938 Views)

We Sell The Best Glass Bathrooms At Reduced Price / 2bed Nd 3bedroom In 1004...u Can't See It Cheaper Elsewhere / Is It Cheaper To Buy A House Or Build One From Scratch? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by ijebuman(m): 2:31pm On Jul 28, 2009
Was in a similar situation, Better to buy the Door handles, Cabinet handles and all the Taps here in the UK, basically anything that will be subject to a lot of wear and tear, get them here. Buy just the larger items like the kitchen sink in Nigeria.
Re: by kokorunna(m): 3:28pm On Jul 28, 2009
Its better to buy your kitchen and bathroom units in Nigeria, but things like Door handles, Cabinet Handles, Taps, electrical goods and wiring materials can be brought in the UK. grin

Try Ikea for some nice stuff for house furnishing.
Re: by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by yanka: 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2009
Chaircover,

The first few buildings i did on the Lekki axis, i bought all door handles and taps from the UK. I also bought the kitchen directly from Howdens in the UK and got corporate messengers to ship for me (door to door - no wahala). The only problem i had with the kitchen was that on one occasion the delivery got to VGC gate after 6pm so was not allowed in till the following morning. They are all going strong, no regrets.

Next time i am going to consider shipping WC's and bath tubs from the UK. You can get English Twyford sets for £150 on clearance sales. A set - WC, bath tub, wash hand basin and biddet and taps.
Re: by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 28, 2009
Ijebuman is back? shocked shocked shocked Hurray!
Re: by yanka: 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2009
About £3.00 per kilo. The Kitchen did cost about £700 to ship because of the heavy worktop but what i'll do in future is to just ship the cabinets and purchase the granite work top in Naija.
Corporate messengers - 02085781362
Re: by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by yanka: 7:36pm On Jul 28, 2009
I don't mind at all. Keep them coming. For an average size kitchen, the granite slab is roughly about N100,000. The last time i did it i think i spent close to N200,000 because they did me a granite slab for the mini bar area too. Those worktops are still glowing and shiny as ever as opposed to the conventional ones with knife marks and other scatches all over.
Re: by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by walakolobo: 8:03pm On Jul 28, 2009
@Poster

What kind of question is that? Why not do a simple market survey and research by yourself? Dont you think that will give you a more logical answer than what you will get here? Chaircovers are even cheaper here in Nigeria than in the UK - oooppsss - your name is even Chaircover!, will you be buying all that from the UK as well? Me think it is an arrant waste of resources to bring what you can get in Nigeria, all the way from the UK, and you guys are the first to talk about bad Nigerian economy, why wont the Nigerian economy be bad when everyone prefers to shop and buy stuff that is made abroad, when in actual fact, most of these things made in Nigeria are actually made for Nigerian weather and will serve you better. I equiped my house with items bought in Nigeria, noone will come to my house to start asking me, oga, where do you buy these stuffs from! In actual fact, go to stores like - Park n Shop, Exclusive, Grand Square, Amigos, and you will see all these things you want to bring in, all at cheaper prices, so why waste time, money and effort?

There is absolutely no sense in buying what you can buy in Nigeria all the way from the UK, exactly the same thing, whats the point realy? It only shows some people still think Naija is all bush and nothing good goes, meanwhile, if you have your money, you will buy the same stuff and better, and even all made in Naija, big deal!
Re: by yanka: 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2009
Yes they only sell to traders. My aunt worked for them about 3 years ago and she was able to do the design for me and order the products.

I am assuming you mean the cornices, if so, it is usually done together with POP. That is if you are opting for POP ceiling. My Engineer usually sorts out the kitchen fitters. You may want to contact him on 08033236264 - Engr Oduntan.
Unfortunately, i only have hard copied pictures.
Re: by yanka: 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2009
Walakolobo,

You have a point there. The problem i had when i tried buying stuff locally, esp Alaba Market, was that i just could'nt tell the difference between good quality and bad quality and the ibo guys were not ready to be truthfull. I will definitely check out those stores you have mentioned. Thanks
Re: by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by walakolobo: 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2009
Chaircover:

Imported things are cheaper in Nigeria. I also run a business. I love-vendor. When I love-vendor in London, each service is £100 - equivalent of 25,500Naira. When I love-vendor in Nigeria, I only get paid 15k - equivalent of £60 - u see, then, imported services are cheaper, so are imported goods. Benin girls charge £150 per night in London, but in Nigeria, they charge only 10k Naira - so, imported pu ssy is cheaper. I can go on and on and on.
Re: by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2009
chaircover:

it will always be cheaper for me to buy imported things here myself and ship them to Nigeria myself than it is to buy the same imported product in Nigeria.

I'm waiting to see the day the reverse will be the case. IMHO, if you are able to ship it to Nigeria, do so. Frankly, I find the price differentials to be mind-boggling when it comes to imported goods especially when I know how much these things cost in the western world.

Of course, the biggest challenge is getting the authentic goods. There's nothing you can't buy in Nigeria, the question is how much are you willing to pay. I just find it makes more sense to buy what you can from abroad.
Re: by ow11(m): 9:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
Or you just live in the UK. Seriously, what is wrong with the ones in Nigeria?
Re: by walakolobo: 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2009
Only poor folks buy from the UK, what they can buy in Nigeria. It is more prestigious shopping for UK goods in Nigeria than going abroad yourself to buy them or shipping them in, it shows you are poor, you are not ready for the high life - high life begins when you dont look at price labels, you just shop, point and pay. My friends bought their TV, Cooker, Washing Machine, Drier, Fridge, everything all the way from the UK - I go to Naija shops, look for the same label, the same type, exactly what they have, buy and pay and arrange in my house - no stress of calling the shipper, no stress of paying 3kg per kilo, no stress loading and un loading, no fear of damaged goods, no time wasting - its called bigger boy shopping.
Re: by snowdrops(m): 9:21pm On Jul 28, 2009
@ poster
A good number of the items in b n q, ikea, etc are not uk made but imported from the far east same place nigerian importers get their items from.
In long run may not be worthwhile bringing from overseas IF you can get authentic ones in nigeria. On the flip side; its your money, your house your choice; do whatever makes you comfortable/happy.
@ Walakolobo
Your reference to PIMPing is uncalled for and the analogy in bad taste
Re: by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 28, 2009
snowdrops:

@ poster
A good number of the items in b n q, ikea, etc are not uk made but imported from the far east same place nigerian importers get their items from.

As we all know, most things are made in China today. A good friend of mine is from Hong Kong and that's how I learnt that "Made in China" has different grades. Factories can make different quality levels of every product. So, you can have the same cutlery set selling in the US and it looks the same as the type on sale in Nigeria except that quality is different. The average oyinbo importer (not talking dollar store importers here) bringing goods to the western world would import the better quality ones; guess which one the Nigerian importer is going to import for sale in Nigeria

Don't know about "prestige shopping" but I know a lot about getting good value for my money and buying quality goods that last at a reasonable price. As I said in my earlier post, everything is available in Nigeria, I'm just not interested in enriching the importers if I can bring it in myself for much lower.

By the way, bringing goods into Nigeria is a lot easier now than it was when people like me left Nigeria. My sister regularly shops on Amazon and the shipper delivers to her door in Lagos.
Re: by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: by ijebuman(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2009
Here's the site i got the door handles, cabinet handles etc, from - http://www.handles4doors.co.uk Their prices/delivery costs are quite reasonable compared to the likes of Wickes, B&Q et al.

@daviddylan
I never really left i just stopped posting, hopefully the 'powers that be' have now developed a more mature attitude  wink
Re: by Onyije1(m): 8:15pm On Dec 13, 2015
Any body interested in any kind of mixer, single tap, shower rose and shower cable Tonobo is the name.Contact me directly for affordable price.

Re: by Onyije1(m): 8:18pm On Dec 13, 2015
we are here in lagos

(1) (Reply)

Land & Plots for sale in Ikorodu / Three Bedroom Bungalow For Sale At Opic Estates Agbara / TIME TO DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT HOME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.