Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

The Problem With Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem With Atheists (1118 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / Strategies For Dialoguing With Atheists / The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Atheists by justcool(m): 11:59pm On Aug 13, 2009
From my encounters with the so called atheists, I have noticed that their disbelief is always of a particular god or belief system.

I will give an example: An atheist may spend hours disproving the validity of the bible. At the end of the day he may succeed in proving that some of the stories in the bible are questionable and he will base his atheism on this, But what he forgets is that the fact that some of the stories in the bible are questionable does not mean that God does not exist.

A better conclusion for such a person would be this: "If God does exist, He is definitely not exactly what the bible says He is."
In this conclusion he acknowledges two things; (1) God and bible are not exactly the same. (2) The fact that certain things in the bible fails to live up to the test of reality does not mean that the existence of God is false too.

I will give another example: An atheist may spend hours disproving the validity of the Koran. At the end he may succeed in proving that some of the stories in the Koran are questionable.  From this he will then conclude that since the Koran is questionable, then the existence of God is questionable too thus a fallacy.

But the fact remains that all religions and all secred books are peoples perception of God, not God Himself!
Thus if one does not agree with the biblical perception or the Koranic perception, the individual is left to seek to have his own perception of God. Out of intellectual and spiritual laziness the individual gives up the belief in God without putting it through a thorough and unbiased scrutiny. He takes the easy way out and call himself an atheist. However, he is not really an atheist! He is just opposed to certain perceptions of God.

I will give another example: After putting the theory of evolution through scrutiny, an individual gets convinced of it validity. He will not just call himself an evolutionist, rather he will go too far and declare himself an atheist. He will reason that since man evolved, the idea of creationism is wrong, and if creationism is fallacy then God's existence is fallacy too. Here he makes a terrible error in his judgement. A better judgement would be: "If God does exist then He did not create the world in six days."

I will give an analogy: If I read a book about ZIk, and the book says that ZIK could turn into an fly. As a child I might believe this story. But as an adult I will put the story into scrutiny. From my experiences as an Adult I know that it is impossible for a man to turn into a fly. This will lead me to conclude that, (1) maybe Zik does not exist, and never existed; and the whole thing is fallacy, or (2) Zik does exist or did exist, but the story that I read in the book is fallacy.

Of course the second conclusion is a more intelligent conclusion, especially when I have other evidences that zik existed, IE works that Zik produced when he was alive. The fact that a description of a thing does not accord to reality does not mean that that thing never existed or does not exist.

Thus one should not stop the investigation and just call himself an atheist, just because the stories he read about God are myths. The right thing would be to seek a personal experience with this God. To look around and see if there is any evidence that God does exist. If one looks around and finds none, then such a person is a true atheist.

But if one looks around, one will find the world, plants, man, mountains, stars etc. Then one would ask oneself: "what is the origin of all these things around me? From whence did all these things proceed?" Many answers would come to mind--evolution, the big bang. Then another question: What caused evolution? From whence did evolution drive its power? What caused the big bag? From whence did the power that caused the big bang came? This power that still sustains everything. This power in every plant, every mountain, everything.

Perharps one may not be able to answere this question, but he definitely acknowledges that their is a power that animates all. But what is this power? Tell me has this seeker not found God?

Thus anybody that arrives at this conclusion should not call himself an atheist. He acknowledges that God exist, wheather he calls God a power or wheather he call Him God or Allah. What difference does it make? But one thing is certain, he[b] has seen the evidence of the existence of God.[/b]

Thus the only true atheist is one who believes that the universe, plants, trees, man(including himself), and etc does not exist.

To acknowledge that life (including yourself and everything in the universe) exists, and to see the power that sustains it, and yet still say that God does not exist; It's like seeing a painting hanging on the wall, and yet say that the painting has no painter.

The existence of the universe is enough evidence that the universe has beginning, an external force that keeps it in motion, that keeps it animated, that fuels it -- its creator! This is not just a conclusion, this is also scientific.

However one chooses to imagine this force, power, power of the creator or the creator is his/her personal business.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 14, 2009
you've struck a particular point i've been trying to make for so long - the fact that atheism today seems much less about "God" really than it is about simply attacking christianity. For all the noise about them being more familiar with christianity i think the truth is that they see christianity as a threat to their own lifestyle.

Only a heart that is unconsciously aware that the God of the bible is real will spend so much time basing his opinions on God's existence solely on the bible.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by dalaman: 12:29am On Aug 14, 2009
davidylan:

you've struck a particular point i've been trying to make for so long - the fact that atheism today seems much less about "God" really than it is about simply attacking christianity. For all the noise about them being more familiar with christianity i think the truth is that they see christianity as a threat to their own lifestyle.

Only a heart that is unconsciously aware that the God of the bible is real will spend so much time basing his opinions on God's existence solely on the bible.

This is very false I have atheist friends here who were ex moslems and they base their atheism trying to show or believing that allah is non existent. They base their opinion of God's existence solely on the koran and allah. All the atheist on nairaland were former Christians so you wouldn't expect them to start proving that allah does not exist because Jehovah is the only God they were brought up to believe in. Ex muslims never spend time attacking the bible or the God of the bible they spend all their time attacking the koran and allah.

Ex Christians attack christianity while ex muslims attack Islam. Most of the vocal western were atheist were ex Christians and that is the only religion they know or were raised to believe in. The Christian God is the only God they were raised to believe in.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 2:08am On Aug 14, 2009
dalaman:

This is very false I have atheist friends here who were ex moslems and they base their atheism trying to show or believing that allah is non existent. They base their opinion of God's existence solely on the koran and allah. All the atheist on nairaland were former Christians so you wouldn't expect them to start proving that allah does not exist because Jehovah is the only God they were brought up to believe in. Ex muslims never spend time attacking the bible or the God of the bible they spend all their time attacking the koran and allah.

Ex Christians attack christianity while ex muslims attack Islam. Most of the vocal western were atheist were ex Christians and that is the only religion they know or were raised to believe in. The Christian God is the only God they were raised to believe in.

to start with, claiming that ALL atheists on nairaland were former christians is itself FALSE for someone who has constituted himself to be a "fraud police". You dont know each of them personally . . . you never lived their lives, how did you come to that conclusion?

However your point buttresses justcool's point - the atheist cannot claim there is no god simply because he claims to have proven that the "god" of one religion could not have written its spiritual book. What about other gods he hasnt looked at? Does he believe (based on attacking the bible) that the hindu god isnt real?
Re: The Problem With Atheists by huxley(m): 8:31am On Aug 14, 2009
justcool:

From my encounters with the so called atheists, I have noticed that their disbelief is always of a particular god or belief system.

I will give an example: An atheist may spend hours disproving the validity of the bible. At the end of the day he may succeed in proving that some of the stories in the bible are questionable and he will base his atheism on this, But what he forgets is that the fact that some of the stories in the bible are questionable does not mean that God does not exist.

A better conclusion for such a person would be this: "If God does exist, He is definitely not exactly what the bible says He is."
In this conclusion he acknowledges two things; (1) God and bible are not exactly the same. (2) The fact that certain things in the bible fails to live up to the test of reality does not mean that the existence of God is false too.

You can dismiss the claims of religions without referring to their holy books. To refer to the holy books is to dismiss them thoroughly.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by dalaman: 9:53am On Aug 14, 2009
davidylan:

to start with, claiming that ALL atheists on nairaland were former christians is itself FALSE for someone who has constituted himself to be a "fraud police". You dont know each of them personally . . . you never lived their lives, how did you come to that conclusion?

Their post says that they were all former Christians, Huxley, Tudor,Kag,Mazaje,Bindex,Toneyb,Duduspace,Chrisbengor,Mamustwac,Okia Juju,Wirinet, All these people were former christians who were taught to believe that Jehovah is the only true God. You don't expect them to start going around disproving allah do you?

However your point buttresses justcool's point - the atheist cannot claim there is no god simply because he claims to have proven that the "god" of one religion could not have written its spiritual book. What about other gods he hasnt looked at? Does he believe (based on attacking the bible) that the hindu god isnt real?

The atheist here on NL at least only try to show that the bible and the God of the bible are false. The reason is because that is the only God they were taught to believe in. Moslem atheist whom I have meet quite a few of them based their entire Idea of God based on Allah and the Koran. The whole concept of a supernatural entity rest solely on Allah to them and their atheism depends only on the non existence of Allah whom they were taught to believe is the only creator of the heavens and the earth.

They won't attack any of the hindu gods because they were taught to believe that they were all false.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Tudor6(f): 12:55pm On Aug 14, 2009
@justcool.
Are you now admitting that the bible is false?

The entirety of what you and I know about God or Gods comes from the so called Holy Books. Hence any flaw or contraditions in the books cast aspersions on the idea "god" revealed by the books in itself.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Tasma: 2:34pm On Aug 14, 2009
justcool:

I will give another example: An atheist may spend hours disproving the validity of the Koran. At the end he may succeed in proving that some of the stories in the Koran are questionable.  From this he will then conclude that since the Koran is questionable, then the existence of God is questionable too thus a fallacy.

But the fact remains that all religions and all sacred books are peoples perception of God, not God Himself!
Thus if one does not agree with the biblical perception or the Koranic perception, the individual is left to seek to have his own perception of God. Out of intellectual and spiritual laziness the individual gives up the belief in God without putting it through a thorough and unbiased scrutiny. He takes the easy way out and call himself an atheist. However, he is not really an atheist! He is just opposed to certain perceptions of God.

Thus anybody that arrives at this conclusion should not call himself an atheist. He acknowledges that God exist, whether he calls God a power or whether he call Him God or Allah. What difference does it make? But one thing is certain, he[b] has seen the evidence of the existence of God.[/b]

Sorry but this argument seems flawed to me. First off i do agree that no atheist can actually argue that a "God" or power does not exist. That is simply outside the powers of perception of any human being. The problem though is that most definitions of "God" only exist within the context of some established religion or the other. There is little of a universal God definition that can satisfy all/most religions across board. Also few Muslims or Christians will agree with the same God concept. So yes until that time the "atheist" can insist that he does not believe in any of the prevailing concepts of "God".
Re: The Problem With Atheists by richjohn1(m): 2:55pm On Aug 14, 2009
@justcool
very stupid analogy you didnt make sense, mind you am not an athiest
Re: The Problem With Atheists by muhsin(m): 3:12pm On Aug 14, 2009
rich_john:

@justcool
very stupid analogy you didnt make sense, mind you am not an athiest

But you behaved just like one. grin

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nezan(m): 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2009
I came across an atheist who said 'thank GOD, am an atheist', so funny grin
Re: The Problem With Atheists by muhsin(m): 3:25pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nezan:

I came across an atheist who said 'thank GOD, am an atheist', so funny grin

Many know that God exists. Just use to deny the fact.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by richjohn1(m): 3:31pm On Aug 14, 2009
@muhsin or whatever u call yourself are you ok? I doubt go for a thorough check-up, I complainrd about someone's analogy and you said 'I behaved like one', do you make sense either? Well 2 blind fools cant think differently slowpoke!
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Tonyet1(m): 4:00pm On Aug 14, 2009
@Poster ,

i've read thru' your post and it seems very impressive, but you tend to trail a path one may simple see as wasteful, how do i mean:

1. If you understand how psychology works you will come to know that there are several stages to reprobacy which to me is where all athiest fall within

Stage 1:

A man is introduced to a new thing and he accepts it, but may be involved in his new acceptancy or not involved, this is where BELEIVERS Aand UNBELIEVERS fall

Stage 2:

This man's new views  (some call it beliefs) are allowed to hover thru' his mind for sometime and to interfere with his mind origins (called "BACKGROUNDS"wink and way of life and perhaps settle fully or partially, this new beliefs may be GOOD or BAD

Stage 3:

Now because a man's mind is designed with cells that collide or probably glide, it will reflect on the way he accepts issues, conflictions become the other of the day in this man's mind, one side accepts while the other side rejects, this is the ORIGIN or call it the STAGE of ARGUMENTS or REBELLION for some

I'll stop at stage 3, there are stages of OBSESSION, POSSESSION, and even PHYSICAL ATTACK, but looking at this illustration, you'll come to understand that there aint nothing you and i can say to these athiest to convince them of what you and I believe in, the best you should prolly do is to stick to your belief and defend it, lest you find yourself in self-conflict. and not to try expantiating on our existence of the TRUE ONE AND ONLY GOD whose way to HIS PRESENCE remains thru' JESUS CHRIST by so doing you make flaws and compromise just to butress a point.

ATHIESTS are best described REPROBATES believe me! no hard feelings pls
Re: The Problem With Atheists by mnwankwo(m): 4:45pm On Aug 14, 2009
I think that the OP by Justcool is brilliant. However, I am convinced that logical or intellectual reasoning will not convince even one atheist to believe in God. Belief or rather an irrevocable conviction in God requires something which logic and reason cannot provide. It requires a conscious experience of the power of God. Until a person consciously encounters this power of God, he or she will remain an atheist, an agnostic or be a believer in several of the many conceptions of God that are prevalent in different world religions or movements. Personally, I do not see any problem with whatever view point an atheist holds so long as that is what he or she is convinced about. That is, as long as one is honest with his beliefs and do not perharps hold views that contradict his outward and inward experiences. Thus there is nothing wrong in my view in holding a belief or views that are in synch with your outward and inward experiences. My view is that the power of God is to be experienced. It is not reasoned or thought out. The path to recognising God lies in consciously experiencing the power of God and if need be, one can articulate this experience of Gods power into philosophical, logical or scientific platform. Blind faith in God may be acquired by philosophical, logical or scientific reasoning. Such a faith is blind in its fundamentalsim as well as unreliable when temptation knocks. It is actually better in my view to be an honest athesit than to have a blind faith in God. An irrevocable conviction in God comes from consciosusly experiencing the power of God. Such a genuine conviction brings love instead of hate, wisdom instead of ignorance, sympathetic understanding instead of fundamentalism, serenity instead of anger, truthfullness instead of falsehood, honesty instead of hypocrisy, peace instead of war, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Atheists by justcool(m): 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2009
davidylan:

@davidylan
I personally have sensed something close to the above here in Nairaland. Nobody will waste so much energy or write a book trying to prove that the toot fairy or Santa clause doesn't exist. One who truly believes that God does not exist will only smile at believers and will not waste energy trying to persuade them to give up their belief, after all experience will soon come to their aid.
One who wastes so much time trying to convince others is actually trying to convince himself. He is actually trying to silence something within himself.

huxley:

You can dismiss the claims of religions without referring to their holy books. To refer to the holy books is to dismiss them thoroughly.

@huxley
Very Good! However, dismissing the claims of religions does not mean that God does not exist! The claims of religions have more or less nothing to do with God. God and religion are two different things. Religion supposedly offers a way to God or to the understanding of God.
Many books science offer knowledge of gravity, as time goes no modern scientist found out that some of the claims about gravity are wrong. But this finding does not lead modern scientists to conclude that gravity does not exist.
Therefore, if you think a particular religion or all worlds’ religions are wrong, just throw them away and move on in your quest for God.
I am convinced in the existence of God, but I don't have a religion.

Tudór:

@justcool.
Are you now admitting that the bible is false?

The entirety of what you and I know about God or Gods comes from the so called Holy Books. Hence any flaw or contraditions in the books cast aspersions on the idea "god" revealed by the books in itself.

@Tudór
I am not here to validate the bible or to disprove it. I respect the fact that some people hold it sacred. Read my previous posts on Nairaland and you will see my view about the bible. But let me just give you an answer, for the sake of cordiality. My answer is this: I do not consider everything in the Bible to the Truth. The bible contains some truth, of course, but not in all things. Now this is my personal perception; but I do not consider those who live by the bible to be fools. Any body who find the Bible to be the ultimate Truth is welcome to live by his/her beliefs. I have nothing against this, as long as the individual is honest with himself and not just pretending. If the Bible fills your void, then stick to it. Everybody is entitled to his perception of life.

My belief in God is not based on the bible; neither is it based on the Koran, which I don't hold as the Truth either.
God existed before the Koran and the bible.

Tasma:

Sorry but this argument seems flawed to me. First off i do agree that no atheist can actually argue that a "God" or power does not exist. That is simply outside the powers of perception of any human being. The problem though is that most definitions of "God" only exist within the context of some established religion or the other. There is little of a universal God definition that can satisfy all/most religions across board. Also few Muslims or Christians will agree with the same God concept. So yes until that time the "atheist" can insist that he does not believe in any of the prevailing concepts of "God".

@Tasma
In your post lies the answer to your puzzle. I highlited some parts of your post to prove my point. If somebody does not actually argue that a "God" or power does exist, and acknowledges that it is simply beyond human conception, then that person is not an atheist. Such a person is not a true atheist; such a person is only antagonistic to the doctrines of established religions. Rather than an etheist, he is an agonistic theist. I repeat God and religions are two different things. A true atheist does not believe that there is a God, or a power out there that is incomprehensible to humans, he simply does not believe in anything. I have only seen one person like that, he even questions his own existence,--such is a true atheist.

I have a co-worker who does not believe in the God of any religion, but he doesn't call himself an atheist. He simply calls himself agonistic, antagonistic to all of the prevailing religions and description of God. He simply says, "I know that there is something out there."

@ tonye-t, muhsin, and Nezan
Thanks for your worthy and important inputs.

@All
Remain blessed
Re: The Problem With Atheists by justcool(m): 5:47pm On Aug 14, 2009
m_nwankwo:

I think that the OP by Justcool is brilliant. However, I am convinced that logical or intellectual reasoning will not convince even one atheist to believe in God. Belief or rather an irrevocable conviction in God requires something which logic and reason cannot provide. It requires a conscious experience of the power of God. Until a person consciously encounters this power of God, he or she will remain an atheist, an agnostic or be a believer in several of the many conceptions of God that are prevalent in different world religions or movements. Personally, I do not see any problem with whatever view point an atheist holds so long as that is what he or she is convinced about. That is, as long as one is honest with his beliefs and do not perharps hold views that contradict his outward and inward experiences. Thus there is nothing wrong in my view in holding a belief or views that are in synch with your outward and inward experiences. My view is that the power of God is to be experienced. It is not reasoned or thought out. The path to recognising God lies in consciously experiencing the power of God and if need be, one can articulate this experience of Gods power into philosophical, logical or scientific platform. Blind faith in God may be acquired by philosophical, logical or scientific reasoning. Such a faith is blind in its fundamentalsim as well as unreliable when temptation knocks. It is actually better in my view to be an honest athesit than to have a blind faith in God. An irrevocable conviction in God comes from consciosusly experiencing the power of God. Such a genuine conviction brings love instead of hate, wisdom instead of ignorance, sympathetic understanding instead of fundamentalism, serenity instead of anger, truthfullness instead of falsehood, honesty instead of hypocrisy, peace instead of war, etc.

Very worthy contribution. I completely agree.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 14, 2009
justcool:

@davidylan
I personally have sensed something close to the above here in Nairaland. Nobody will waste so much energy or write a book trying to prove that the toot fairy or Santa clause doesn't exist. One who truly believes that God does not exist will only smile at believers and will not waste energy trying to persuade them to give up their belief, after all experience will soon come to their aid.
One who wastes so much time trying to convince others is actually trying to convince himself. He is actually trying to silence something within himself.

We all know this for a fact . . . but an atheist would rather delude himself.

dalaman:

Their post says that they were all former Christians, Huxley, Tudor,Kag,Mazaje,Bindex,Toneyb,Duduspace,Chrisbengor,Mamustwac,Okia Juju,Wirinet, All these people were former christians who were taught to believe that Jehovah is the only true God. You don't expect them to start going around disproving allah do you?

that is what they said . . . how did you prove it was true? Arent you accepting their claims by faith? undecided How would you know if i also told you i was once an atheist?
Re: The Problem With Atheists by toneyb: 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2009
@ justcool

From you post it seems you are not a christian but you believe in god right?

justcool:

But if one looks around, one will find the world, plants, man, mountains, stars etc. Then one would ask oneself: "what is the origin of all these things around me? From whence did all these things proceed?" Many answers would come to mind--evolution, the big bang. Then another question: [b]What caused evolution? From whence did evolution drive its power? What caused the big bag? [/b]From whence did the power that caused the big bang came? This power that still sustains everything. This power in every plant, every mountain, everything.

If you study the big bang you will see that scientist have explained how they thought the entire process came about(I do not believe in the theory). The origin of evolution has not be well explained but the process it self has been explained by scientist to the best of their ability.

Now let me ask you a question from where did god come from? What caused god? If everything must have a cause then god also must also have a cause no? If your god is un-caused then why cant the universe be un-caused? Most theist always demand infinity for one possibility( eternal existence of their various gods) but reject the possibility for the other(eternal existence of the universe)?

Perharps one may not be able to answere this question, but he definitely acknowledges that their is a power that animates all. But what is this power? Tell me has this seeker not found God?

What exactly do you mean by god? The last time I checked even members of the same religion have not fully defined what the word god means to them. Take a look at the catholics and pentacostal movement(Protestants) their definition and concept of god vary greately even though the all claim to believe in the same god but they both disagree on his basic nature and how exactly he needs to be worshiped. The word god can mean anything, it has not acceptable definition even amongst members of the same religion.

Thus anybody that arrives at this conclusion should not call himself an atheist. He acknowledges that God exist, wheather he calls God a power or wheather he call Him God or Allah. What difference does it make? But one thing is certain, he[b] has seen the evidence of the existence of God.[/b]

Again what exactly do you mean by god? Do you mean the force that brought about the universe(thats if there is any such force) or do you mean the personal god that most theist claim is in existence that affects their lives positively?(even though there is NO evidence at all to show for it). What you see around you is evidence for vision and environment not evidence for god. You only made a claim so its up to you to prove that the god you believe in created the universe.

Thus the only true atheist is one who believes that the universe, plants, trees, man(including himself), and etc does not exist.

We see plants and trees in fact we eat some of them and they sustain us, we interact with each other as human beings in one way or the other so how can you make such a ridiculous analogy? Can you tell me where or what part of the universe your god resides  so that we can go and see him?

To acknowledge that life (including yourself and everything in the universe) exists, and to see the power that sustains it, and yet still say that God does not exist; It's like seeing a painting hanging on the wall, and yet say that the painting has no painter.

You just made a claim that the god you believe in is the one that sustains the universe how did you come to know this? How did you verify it? Or is this one of your numerous unsubstantiated claims? There is no reason to believe that the universe must behave like the human society.

The existence of the universe is enough evidence that the universe has beginning, an external force that keeps it in motion, that keeps it animated, that fuels it -- its creator! This is not just a conclusion, this is also scientific.

How do you know this? Any evidence to show that the universe had a beginning? Scientist who believe that the universe have a beginning have explained how they thought the beginning began and their explanation does not include any god in it.

However one chooses to imagine this force, power, power of the creator or the creator is his/her personal business.

I like the word imagination here because that is what every religion seems to be doing here trying to imagine how the universe came about and ascribing their various explanations to their various gods
Re: The Problem With Atheists by toneyb: 6:38pm On Aug 14, 2009
davidylan:

We all know this for a fact . . . but an atheist would rather delude himself.

So true indeed just like the way you are actually trying to convince yourself that allah is not the one true god by always engaging the moslems and trying to show that that he is a demon. I also believe that you are also trying to silence that truth by always attacking the moslems. If islam is truly the wrong religion and all moslems are deluded and wasting their time worshiping the false god I bet you will never visit the Islam for moslem section, in fact why do you quote from the koran? Its only a person that is worried about the truth that is in the book that will try to read it. If the koran is false you will never read it talkless of trying to show that it is false. The moslems know it is true but the christians will rather keep deluding themselves.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 14, 2009
toneyb:

So true indeed just like the way you are actually trying to convince yourself that allah is not the one true god by always engaging the moslems and trying to show that that he is a demon. I also believe that you are also trying to silence that truth by always attacking the moslems. If islam is truly the wrong religion and all moslems are deluded and wasting their time worshiping the false god I bet you will never visit the Islam for moslem section, in fact why do you quote from the koran? Its only a person that is worried about the truth that is in the book that will try to read it. If the koran is false you will never read it talkless of trying to show that it is false. The moslems know it is true but the christians will rather keep deluding themselves.

as usual he resorts to the same irrelevant and discredited moral equivalence. Wake me up when these trolls have something else to say.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by toneyb: 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2009
davidylan:

as usual he resorts to the same irrelevant and discredited moral equivalence. Wake me up when these trolls have something else to say.

As usual when the Hypocrisy of the fool has been exposed he begins to call people names what a deluded fool. Wake me up when the deluded hypocrite has something relevant to say.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2009
toneyb:

As usual when the Hypocrisy of the fool has been exposed he begins to call people names what a deluded fool. Wake me up when the deluded hypocrite has something relevant to say.

i cant say i expected any better.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by toneyb: 6:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
davidylan:

i cant say i expected any better.

bla bla bla *yawns*
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:46pm On Sep 06, 2009
I see so many religionists rant and rave about how Atheists are “not tolerant of believers and have no respect for their faith”. To non believers this claim is absurd. For intolerance of various religions is the foundation of Judaism, Christianity, Muslim and many other orthodox communities. Matter of fact, the Bible and Pentateuch commands religious intolerance in MANY verses, even to the point of KILLING people for their beliefs. Here then, are a few choice verses that show just how intolerant these religionists are of other believers and nonbelievers.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Pygru: 1:48am On Aug 16, 2013
davidylan: you've struck a particular point i've been trying to make for so long - the fact that atheism today seems much less about "God" really than it is about simply attacking christianity. For all the noise about them being more familiar with christianity i think the truth is that they see christianity as a threat to their own lifestyle.

Re: The Problem With Atheists by jayriginal: 8:40am On Aug 16, 2013
justcool:

This in fact is what I say. I go further to say that while a supernatural being may exist, the minute you begin to assign it attributes (intelligence, omnipotence, omniscience etc) you rob that entity of credibility.

But the fact remains that all religions and all secred books are peoples perception of God, not God Himself!

This is false. See above.

I will give another example: After putting the theory of evolution through scrutiny, an individual gets convinced of it validity. He will not just call himself an evolutionist, rather he will go too far and declare himself an atheist. He will reason that since man evolved, the idea of creationism is wrong, and if creationism is fallacy then God's existence is fallacy too. Here he makes a terrible error in his judgement. A better judgement would be: "If God does exist then He did not create the world in six days."

False again. Many christians accept evolution.

I will give an analogy: If I read a book about ZIk, and the book says that ZIK could turn into an fly. As a child I might believe this story. But as an adult I will put the story into scrutiny. From my experiences as an Adult I know that it is impossible for a man to turn into a fly. This will lead me to conclude that, (1) maybe Zik does not exist, and never existed; and the whole thing is fallacy, or (2) Zik does exist or did exist, but the story that I read in the book is fallacy.

Of course the second conclusion is a more intelligent conclusion, especially when I have other evidences that zik existed, IE works that Zik produced when he was alive. The fact that a description of a thing does not accord to reality does not mean that that thing never existed or does not exist.

Thus one should not stop the investigation and just call himself an atheist, just because the stories he read about God are myths. The right thing would be to seek a personal experience with this God. To look around and see if there is any evidence that God does exist. If one looks around and finds none, then such a person is a true atheist.

But if one looks around, one will find the world, plants, man, mountains, stars etc. Then one would ask oneself: "what is the origin of all these things around me? From whence did all these things proceed?" Many answers would come to mind--evolution, the big bang. Then another question: What caused evolution? From whence did evolution drive its power? What caused the big bag? From whence did the power that caused the big bang came? This power that still sustains everything. This power in every plant, every mountain, everything.

You like several others before and after you have a very poor understanding of what atheism really is.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 16, 2013
Gone were the days. 2009
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 16, 2013
toba: Gone were the days. 2009

Which days

This thread didn't even go beyond the first page.
Re: The Problem With Atheists by Pygru: 9:55am On Aug 16, 2013
toba: Gone were the days. 2009
Yea, the good old days cool

(1) (Reply)

Prophet T.b. Joshua Donates Two Brand New Transformer To Our Community / Pastor Kumuyi Marries Again! / If Men Were God,hw Wud I Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.