Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,511 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams (3361 Views)

Gani Adams On Fulani Herdsmen Killings: "What Yorubas Will Do" / Gani Adams Celebrates His Child's Dedication Traditionally (Photos) / Yorubas Now Want Oduduwa, And Not Nigeria- Gani Adams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by aproko247: 1:32pm On Jun 15, 2016
Leader of the Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, Otunba Gani Adams, has disclosed that there are over 250 million Yorubas living outside the shores of Nigeria.

Adams made this revelation during the launch of the Oodua Progressive Union, OPU, in Uganda recently.

The OPC leader, during his speech, explained that the OPU is a universal platform that seeks to unite Yorubas spread across the globe under one umbrella.

According to him, the OPU has the mission and mandate to bring together all “Yorubas in diaspora to come under one common identity to further project our race, our culture, tradition and seek to proffer solutions to various challenges confronting us as a race.”

“It will interest you to know that the number of Yorubas living in Nigeria is about 50 million while it was gathered that Yorubas spread across the globe outside Nigeria is well over 250 million,” he said.

“The simple logic here is that while the Yorubas at home are divided based on religious and political interests, those of you abroad can influence those at home by coming together under a global platform to set the agenda for a progressive Yoruba race with a common goal and mission.

“Top and world acclaimed races like the Jews, Arabs, Indians, Isrealis, Chinesse, among others have history of common identity brought together by their indigenes who are based outside their race. If history can be fair on these now seen great tribes, the time has come for a united Yoruba race brought together by a common heritage, identity and mission.

“As we launch the OPU chapter of Uganda today, I implore you all to be worthy ambassadors of Nigeria and Yoruba in Uganda,it will be nice for you to grow with the growing economy of Uganda, tap into the tourist potentials of the country and most importantly, be law abiding citizens.

“One of the exceptional way to show gratitude to your host community is to identify with what they believe, don’t fault their way of life, don’t mock their culture and above all respect their warm reception towards you without losing track of your own culture and tradition including your language.

“The peaceful co-existence between Yorubas and other tribes will further boost their attitude towards Nigerians, we really need to love one another and while embracing love, we should not cover criminals in our midst that may tarnish our race and indeed our country.

“It is very pleasing to hear that the Government of Uganda is very accommodating towards Nigerians in Uganda based on the long standing relationship and support established by a prominent Yoruba son, late MKO Abiola whose anniversary our sister body Oodua Peoples Congress will be remembering with a lecture on June 12, 2016. We should do everything between our power to protect this relationship and make sure we further build on it based on our Omoluwabi and Alajobi principles.

“As I welcome you to the global platform of Oodua Progressive Union, I also which to remind you that home is best, in all you do, don’t forget your origin and your heritage”

Another prominent speaker at the event was the President of the Nigeria Community in Uganda, Eng. Kunle Aransiola, who expressed his joy to have been part of history considering his critical nature.

He stated that the mission statement of OPU shows that the body has a vision and with the exemplary leadership quality of Otunba Adams, he is convinced that the association will further boost the morale and rating of Yorubas across the globe.

The Zaaki of Arigidi-Akoko, HRM, Oba Yisa Olanipekun appealed to Yorubas to support the OPU mission and come together as one to further unite the race.

The presentation of staff of office was witnessed by the pioneer members of OPU Uganda, representatives of the Nigeria Community in Uganda, Mike Okrika, speaker of the Igbo community in Uganda and CEO, Abuja Restaurant Kampala, Pastor Job Inawole, Mr Emmanuel Onuoha among other dignitaries.

http://www.aproko247.com/2016/06/15/250m-yorubas-live-outside-nigeria-gani-adams/

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Psylas(m): 1:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
That is just his opinion, if we are going like that it means Nigerian population is more than 1billion,

China and India must hear this

3 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by peckhamboi: 1:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
Psylas:
That is just his opinion, if we are going like that it means Nigerian population is more than 1billion,
China and India must hear this

No Boss

The number of Yorubas outside of Nigeria are at least 6 times the Yorubas in Nigeria.

I remember when I went to Cuba and met the Santerias, I was treated like a God when I told them I was from Oyo.

I prefer the Yorubas outside Nigeria to the ones in Nigeria.

The ones outside Nigeria wants to be Yoruba while the ones inside Nigeria do not.

6 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by mandarin: 2:39pm On Jun 15, 2016
It may be very difficult to fault or validate the claim on Yoruba population but we can assume his estimate on Yoruba population in Nigeria will apparently be correct. Taking the population of Yoruba in Brazil and the Latin American countries, the population of Yoruba should at least exceed 100million and within the West Coast African, Yoruba kinsmen should be up to 5million outside of Nigeria aside immigrants looking at indigenous Yoruba in Benin, Togo, and Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Ajibel(m): 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2016
250m

This looks outrageous though except he is considering the carribeans and brazilians of yourba descent

2 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by MadamExcellency: 2:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
When the population of 15 member countries of Ecowas is 340 million.

12 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by CandyDiamond(f): 3:00pm On Jun 15, 2016
mandarin:
It may be very difficult to fault or validate the claim on Yoruba population but we can assume his estimate on Yoruba population in Nigeria will apparently be correct. Taking the population of Yoruba in Brazil and the Latin American countries, the population of Yoruba should at least exceed 100million and within the West Coast African, Yoruba kinsmen should be up to 5million outside of Nigeria aside immigrants looking at indigenous Yoruba in Benin, Togo, and Ghana.
Those Yorubas outside Nigeria does not know that Yorubas are existing in Nigeria, except those that are originally from Nigeria, you are talking about yoruba slaves in Cuba, Brazil and Latin America that doesn't know what is happening in Nigeria and doesn't see their-selves as Yorubas, they have lost their identity like any other African slaves in those countries, they only have little cultural similarities that may suggest that they may have originated from Yoruba race in Nigeria. Even the native Togo Yorubas don't know much about their root in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by hucienda: 3:04pm On Jun 15, 2016
Oh... Then around 1 billion live in Nigeria.
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Ejanla07: 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2016
funny. lol..

1 Like

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Movic1(m): 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Those Yorubas outside Nigeria does not know that Yorubas are existing in Nigeria, except those that are originally from Nigeria, you are talking about yoruba slaves in Cuba, Brazil and Latin America that doesn't know what is happening in Nigeria and doesn't see their-selves as Yorubas, they have lost their identity like any other African slaves in those countries, they only have little cultural similarities that may suggest that they may have originated from Yoruba race in Nigeria. Even the native Togo Yorubas don't know much about their root in Nigeria.

Yorubas outside Nigeria dont know yorubas exist in Nigeria Im just hearing this for the first time. if you are pained just tell us.

Ooni of Ife visit cuba several times before his death.

Yorubas In Cuba Write Aregbesola Over Ooni's Death ...

http://www.leadership.ng/news/455854/yorubas-in-cuba-write-aregbesola-over-oonis-death

Ooni of Ife is the Spiritual Father of Cubans - Ambassador Says

http://www.stellanaija.com.ng/ooni-of-ife-is-the-spiritual-father-of-cubans-ambassador-says-cubans-originated-from-yorubaland/

Yoruba take cultural renaissance to Ghana, Togo , Cote d'Ivoire

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/yoruba-take-cultural-renaissance-to-ghana-togo%E2%80%88cote-divoire/

Yorubas in togo dont know yoruba exist in Nigeria But Fuji stars like Osupa saheed / Pasuma visit there on several occasions to perform

9 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by lecther: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
CandyDiamond:

hehe,tell us more.
the Yoruba culture is the most celebrated African culture in the world.
yeebos definitely will not understand because they have no good culture their ibo captives will celebrate,since osu has eaten deep into their flat.heads.

5 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by CandyDiamond(f): 3:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
Movic1:

Yorubas outside Nigeria dont know yorubas exist in Nigeria Im just hearing this for the first time. if you are pained just tell us.

Ooni of Ife visit cuba several times before his death.

Yorubas In Cuba Write Aregbesola Over Ooni's Death ...

http://www.leadership.ng/news/455854/yorubas-in-cuba-write-aregbesola-over-oonis-death

Ooni of Ife is the Spiritual Father of Cubans - Ambassador Says

http://www.stellanaija.com.ng/ooni-of-ife-is-the-spiritual-father-of-cubans-ambassador-says-cubans-originated-from-yorubaland/
grin grin grin grin grin, my brother, I am not pained, I am just telling you the truth, Lucumi yoroboid language in Cuba is also related to other African languages in Congo, Benue etc and it is not literally spoken as a language, all these links you posted is just a diplomatic relation comments, have you ever seen a black man in Cuban government, African slaves are minorities in Cuba, they are more rooted in Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Brazil. I repeat again those African slaves don't know much about their root in Nigeria, it is just diplomatic relation because of similarities in cultures. Most of them dont know where Nigeria is located, they just hear the story that their forefathers was shipped from Nigeria into slavery, many doesn't like to hear that story.

4 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by CandyDiamond(f): 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2016
lecther:
hehe,tell us more.
the Yoruba culture is the most celebrated African culture in the world.
yeebos definitely will not understand because they have no good culture their ibo captives will celebrate,since osu has eaten deep into their Igbos.
We are not fighting, Yoruba cultures are celebrated in the world, good for you and good for Nigeria shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

5 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by ziccoit: 3:41pm On Jun 15, 2016
Might be he wanted to say Yoruba speakers outside Nigeria. On that I agree otherwise no.
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by SIRTee15: 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Cure your ignorance by reading.......
Google santeria n the lukunmi language.......
Google the musicians from Cuba called ibeyi........
This people identify with their roots......
Some even visit ife for religious pilgrimage.

8 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 15, 2016
Ajibel:
250m

This looks outrageous though except he is considering the carribeans and brazilians of yourba descent

I agree with U.

He must have smoked amala, when he made that remark.

2 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by CandyDiamond(f): 4:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
SIRTee15:

Cure your ignorance by reading.......
Google santeria n the lukunmi language.......
Google the musicians from Cuba called ibeyi........
This people identify with their roots......
Some even visit ife for religious pilgrimage.
Lukunmi languge is not a spoken language, they just chant the language ceremoniously, and it a mix language that include other african languages with more of yoruba. How many of them come here every year, is it when one or two came you will say they are tracing there roots.

2 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by papayeye: 4:41pm On Jun 15, 2016
Yoruba too dey lie. Dem no dey eva get sense for diz life. Who dem meet wen do census for dem. Yoruba abeg, gree get sense

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by omonla555: 5:42pm On Jun 15, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Wetin you know? Ash.. Speaking
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by dreamworld: 6:00pm On Jun 15, 2016
See him face like black amala
Yorubas r the least travelled tribe in nigeria
You hardly see a young yoruba fellow that will tell you that he wants to travel outside nigeria,
Them never commot from south west self,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by SIRTee15: 6:11pm On Jun 15, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Lukunmi languge is not a spoken language,it's ey just chant the language ceremoniously, and it a mix language that include other african languages with more of yoruba. How many of them come here every year, is it when one or two came you will say they are tracing there roots.

I hope you know the definition of culture and it's dynamism.
So u expect people that left their ancestral homeland more than 300 years ago and transported to an entirely different culture- with all links to the former severed- to retain the original language without the influence of their adopted language.
Lucumi is a corrupt dialect of the Yoruba language with strong infusion of Spanish language and tone.
I'm not aware of any other African language mix......u may show me if there's proof.

It may be a liturgical language, but it's by no means a mere ceremonial chant......its
The words has meaning and spellings are more or less similar to Yoruba words.
It's a language used for communication and that's what matters.
It's even regarded as the 3rd language in Cuba after Spanish and Creole.

Please Google the santeria people and learn about their culture, beliefs, religion, customs, traditions........
Then come back and tell me if they are not deeply rooted in the Yoruba culture
These are people that venerate and celebrate xango more than Yoruba people.
They identify with their roots and some do visit Yoruba hinterlands frequently.
There is no osun-osogbo festival they will not send delegates.

Please use Google images, the pics are there........I don't have time to starting loading.

1 Like

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by shaddoww: 6:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
How many sef cum dey live for Naija their origin
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Ratebuster(m): 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2016
lia Mohammed stuff. Very characteristic of Yorubas to make mouth.

1 Like

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by babylonjah: 6:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
Na yoruba get China:nonsense
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Lajet: 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2016
No it's 250 billion population Nonsense even igbos that travel out of the country more than any other Nigerians can't boast of that kind of population
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Heavance(m): 7:49pm On Jun 15, 2016
People just come up with crazy figures, do you know what a million is? If you think the figure is 250 million, then the population of Hausa should be times two.
In total, they can't even be up to a million outside naija...... They should stop claiming figures jare, thats how some just openly say we are about 20 million plus in Lagos, using traffic and the crowd they see to conclude, if its true, then Kano alone will be 50 million na.

1 Like

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Umennajiego(m): 7:58pm On Jun 15, 2016
Infact nobody lives in Nigeria... 250m that's like the population of America.... Ah this uncle can imagine things Sha!

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by lionshare: 8:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
Heavance:
People just come up with crazy figures, do you know what a million is? If you think the figure is 250 million, then the population of Hausa should be times two.
In total, they can't even be up to a million outside naija...... They should stop claiming figures jare, thats how some just openly say we are about 20 million plus in Lagos, using traffic and the crowd they see to conclude, if its true, then Kano alone will be 50 million na.

Might not be up to 250m but definitely more than million world over.

1 Like

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Beremx(f): 8:25pm On Jun 15, 2016
peckhamboi:

No Boss

The number of Yorubas outside of Nigeria are at least 6 times the Yorubas in Nigeria.

I remember when I went to Cuba and met the Santerias, I was treated like a God when I told them I was from Oyo.

I prefer the Yorubas outside Nigeria to the ones in Nigeria.

The ones outside Nigeria wants to be Yoruba while the ones inside Nigeria do not.
grin grin grin
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 15, 2016
dreamworld:
See him face like black amala
Yorubas r the least travelled tribe in nigeria
You hardly see a young yoruba fellow that will tell you that he wants to travel outside nigeria,
Them never commot from south west self,

And here comes another rising druggie who thinks Yorubas don't travel because they don't go to his gully red-mud
republic or because they don't make news rounds for peddling drugs in Malaysia . Let me quickly inflate your
quadrangle head with this one. I'm nice

am yoruba of osun and oyo origin .but av immediate cousins who happens to come from lagos.their family house is at epe staring at at us all thus making lagos a yoruba land.infact my last comment on nairaland was in favour of ibos because I like to incline to the truth.but seeing igbos coming here to rant that yoruba are so timid to travel out of their immediate evironment shows little or no knowledge they know about the yoruba race.do you know there are as many yorubas mainly of ejigbo and Iwo indigines in cote'd ivore as there are igbos in lagos.from khorogo to man to San pedro to bouake to yamsokorro.evidence of their presence is even more felt in the economic capital abidjan has they are all over every major and minor markets of the city. from popular o'black market to trechville to kumasi,to youpougon to macoury to pump bay are undeniable traces of industrious ejigbo people of osun .only the lebanese can boost of been more successful than yorubas in ivory Coast as they get heavy support from the French government. name it from entertainment to sport to music to trade and commerce are evidence of ejigbo presence.infact razak who plays for mancity in England claims to be an Ivorian but I can personally take to his family house in ejigbo if you don't mind.visible presence of ejigbo indigines in multitude are also found across the major cities of west African nations and these people are just a fraction of yoruba.or is it the ogbomoso people who yorubas ourselves refers to "akole ma gbe"meaning set of people who do not live in the house they built who have ancestral home in takroadi, Cape coast, kumasi volta region and accra ghana that you claim don't travel. in fact olagbemiros house at the heart of jos terminus market is an indication of early yoruba presence in jos.and the last time I checked the set of people are just a section of yoruba race.and I haven't heard ejigbo people attributing the achievements of abidjan to their presence despite been set of the most successful blacks in cote'd ivore. I tell people once you know how to speak yoruba you are already save because of our presence but we don't go about bragging about owing their economy. if any you doubt I can be your local guide when you are in Abidjan. proudly omo yoruba proudly oyo.

Pure wattah boy, go to the North from Kano to Kaduna and see Yorubas doing business. Go to the ND and see lots
of Yoruba there but I don't expect you to know this. Dirty boy! same you will come here and tell us there are too
many Yorubas in the SS but switch it again in different arguments grin

What you should have said is Yorubas are the only ones who never visit the land of the rising druggies. Same place
you're running away from. It's just common sense

Those Ajayis and Oguns in England, US, and Canada are urhobos bah?

Edit your comment before you get more poop thrown at you Olosh

2 Likes

Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by sleekbae: 8:43pm On Jun 15, 2016
oo
Re: Over 250m Yorubas Live Outside Nigeria—gani Adams by dreamworld: 11:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
OmoAjowa7:

And here comes another rising druggie who thinks Yorubas don't travel because they don't go to his gully red-mud
republic or because they don't make news rounds for peddling drugs in Malaysia . Let me quickly inflate your
quadrangle head with this one. I'm nice

Pure wattah boy, go to the North from Kano to Kaduna and see Yorubas doing business. Go to the ND and see lots
of Yoruba there but I don't expect you to know this. Dirty boy! same you will come here and tell us there are too
many Yorubas in the SS but switch it again in different arguments grin

What you should have said is Yorubas are the only ones who never visit the land of the rising druggies. Same place
you're running away from. It's just common sense

Those Ajayis and Oguns in England, US, and Canada are urhobos bah?

Edit your comment before you get more poop thrown at you Olosh

Nigga u dont know what u r saying, come to cross river or akwa ibom even in rivers u can count the number of yorubas there, even in delta state, who yoruba help for there, who sabi them there,

(1) (2) (Reply)

These People, Not Muslims Are Behind Southern Kaduna Killings - Dambazau / Biafra: Osinbajo Should Meet Nnamdi Kanu, Agitators Not Political Elites – Peter / Jubril From Sudan: Presidency Yet To Debunk The Allegations Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.