Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,832 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them (15679 Views)

Buying Land From Omonile Or Estate Company, Which Is Better In The Long Run? / 8 Factors To Consider Before Buying Land To Build Your Home / The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by larrysng(m): 12:16am On Jul 05, 2016
The term Omoniles means the traditional land owners. These omoniles are mostly feared because of the many havoc they had caused to real estate investors. These set of people never bothered if the day suddenly turns into night whenever they’re on rampage.

The omoniles antics includes selling a single landed property to multiple buyers, reselling of already sold land to another buyer after discovering that the land has appreciate in value and relocating the previous buyer to a more distant place, collection of taxes and fines on land already sold, selling of dispute land to buyers etc.

Recently, Lagos state government has made moves to find a lasting solution to curb the criminal activities of these unscrupulous elements called Omo Onile on commercial activities because of the nuisances and threats they pose to the peace of the citizenry and investors. The state government has taken it upon itself to enforce its rights over land in Lagos and to also to work with all security agencies to implement state government and private property rights in the state.

But before these laws will be put in place, here are 10 basic things you need to know about the Land grabbers (Omoniles) before commiting your hard earn money into their hands.

1. Just like you and I, the Omoniles are human beings with flesh and blood running in their veins and therefore should not be feared. Rather, you should strive to understand them and what makes them tick. By so doing you would understand them and know how to deal with them.

2. Omoniles and the love for money go hands in hands. All omoniles are totally money driven and materialistic. If you have the money you would forever be their master.

3. Because the omoniles are closed to land and traditional communities they love reverence.

4. When Omoniles sale land to you, they never thought of keeping any for the future. The next thing on their mind is to marry more wives and bear as many children as possible.

5. If you bought land from Omoniles please keep some money aside because they are still going to come back to you after lavishing the money they got from the land sales on parties and fun fairs.

6. If the above occurs, they become militants and will find a way of extorting money from you.

7. For Every troubles omoniles makes, they sometimes get less because of their complex family structure.

8. When dealing with omoniles, try to show to them that you’re one of them. Play with them, mingle with them and if possible eat with them.

9. When dealing with Omoniles, don’t deal with the father alone; make sure you carry the children along as problems with omo oniles start whenever the head of the family dies.

10. When dealing with Omoniles understand and identify the power brokers (Obas, Baales,) within the family.

11. When dealing with Omoniles ask enough questions as possible so as to save yourself enough trouble in the future.

12. When making payments, make sure you documents the whole process. Take pictures with the people involve, writes down your agreements, do video recordings and collect receipts.

Please note that if we start talking about the omoniles and the ways they operate we won't leave here today. This few point were just to guide your steps so that you won't fall victim of land scam.

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by maxti: 12:50am On Jul 05, 2016
Nice one op.

1 Like

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 05, 2016
What is the igboid and hausa names called?
Is it only our south West that has omoniles?

Btw
Check
My signature
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by moscobabs(m): 7:02am On Jul 05, 2016
thanks op

Omo Onile nearly finish me when building my 2 bedroom. flat in Ijoko Ogun state 3 yrs ago

I paid 50k before I start foundation

Lintel 30k

50k when Covering the house

last 2 weeks I wanted to build another 2 bedroom flat on the remaining part of the land. to my surprise this guys came from nowhere asking for another 50k for the foundation and they were telling me authoritatively that I will even pay 150k when am ready to do the dekin they stopped the work that day... This is the area I have been living since last year o.

although I have reported them to my younger brother ( Captain in NA) . Soldiers will be on ground this Saturday for the foundation and my brother told me not to look for labourers that day . The Omo oniles will be use as a labourers for the job if they show up.

125 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by TrollTrap: 7:03am On Jul 05, 2016
Use juju and they'll sweep and guard ya land for you

3 Likes

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by gbaskiboy: 7:04am On Jul 05, 2016
I thought Ambode want to flush them along Agberos in Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by yahyamay(m): 7:04am On Jul 05, 2016
Nice one
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by gistmeloveblog: 7:05am On Jul 05, 2016
tongue tongue

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by rifasenate11(m): 7:05am On Jul 05, 2016
Why risk buying lands in lagos and run into these troubles, better go to abuja where there's planning and even the villagers or traditional land owners don't even care about the land you purchase from them. That's the difference

6 Likes

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by slightlyMad(f): 7:06am On Jul 05, 2016
Don't bother yourself, make friends with military officers and invite them when necesary

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by realomonile: 7:06am On Jul 05, 2016
grin grin grin

A plot of land located at Akesan Lagos state Along Lasu iyana iba going for 1.5m negotiable

Direct seller...

Serious buyer should call/whatsapp 08085310359,

Hello Nairalanders, i have this land facing Lasu iba express way all round fenced for sale at rate of 70million Naira Negotiable,

Available document: Family Receipt, survey plan,

Side attract: facing expressway, close to Lagos state university, close to Iba New site estate and alot more

NOTE: This is dry Land...

Good for filling Station, churches, shopping mall,event center,schools and lot more..

Serious Buyer should contact Whatsapp 08085310359 For inspection or call 08033588797

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Doublejc(m): 7:07am On Jul 05, 2016
thats interesting......tanks for the info
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by chincent: 7:07am On Jul 05, 2016
Noted
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 05, 2016
This country is indeed a zoo. You mean all this bullshit happens and nothing has been done about it??
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 05, 2016
Make ona nor fear them.. I dey here! Na me get am!
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by AJORE(m): 7:09am On Jul 05, 2016
Nice points.......100% activation
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Montaque(m): 7:11am On Jul 05, 2016
Jobless land grabbers.
I don't have pity for them.
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by abatisegun: 7:11am On Jul 05, 2016
Is it a must that I should buy from omo onile? Because all these op has
Mentioned I don't think I can abide by them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 05, 2016
Well, for the records....

I dnt buy lands, I buy houses!!!

Any question?

1 Like

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Taryur3(m): 7:13am On Jul 05, 2016
No body is omo onile...for lagos...they are mainly thief and criminals...lazy set of igbo smokers....well, av never see any of them that reponsible...I just wish they should be treated like a thief...whenever they arrest them.those people don give me one bad night once for 2 plots of land wey I get somewhere close to obalende flyover...
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 05, 2016
Here in Ogun state, they are so plentiful that they are uncountable.. Lets assume u just won erect the edifice, money for foubdation lasan na 80k. lintel level na around dat 20k. kikan na 50k, no pricing bd lastly, plastering, close to 20 to 30k...we are fed up...buh if u know the right people u can be rest assured

1 Like

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Histrings08(m): 7:17am On Jul 05, 2016
Pfft... Buh I think governor ambode has found a solution to that, gov amosun should follow suit
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by dauntless15(m): 7:21am On Jul 05, 2016
So my granddad owns a very big land which he gave to his grandkids to build houses on whenever they're ready, now me and my brothers of of age [three of us] and we are now aware of the land but we are never to sell it, the aim of this short story is

Wait for it

Wait for it

AM AN OMONILEEEEEEEEEE cheesy DANCING ATEWO, OYA OP WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OMONILE?

1 Like

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by fkj950ax(m): 7:22am On Jul 05, 2016
2undexy:
Here in Ogun state, they are so plentiful that they are uncountable.. Lets assume u just won erect the edifice, money for foubdation lasan na 80k. lintel level na around dat 20k. kikan na 50k, no pricing bd lastly, plastering, close to 20 to 30k...we are fed up...buh if u know the right people u can be rest assured

Please post contents with correct spellings and abbreviations. Your post currently doesn't contribute to the discussion because of the structure.
This is a public forum. It isn't your friends alone here trying to learn from the contributions.
You are denying people the opportunity to learn from you.
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by JoelXclusive: 7:23am On Jul 05, 2016
larrysng:
The term Omoniles means the traditional land owners. These omoniles are mostly feared because of the many havoc they had caused to real estate investors. These set of people never bothered if the day suddenly turns into night whenever they’re on rampage.

The omoniles antics includes selling a single landed property to multiple buyers, reselling of already sold land to another buyer after discovering that the land has appreciate in value and relocating the previous buyer to a more distant place, collection of taxes and fines on land already sold, selling of dispute land to buyers etc.

Recently, Lagos state government has made moves to find a lasting solution to curb the criminal activities of these unscrupulous elements called Omo Onile on commercial activities because of the nuisances and threats they pose to the peace of the citizenry and investors. The state government has taken it upon itself to enforce its rights over land in Lagos and to also to work with all security agencies to implement state government and private property rights in the state.

But before these laws will be put in place, here are 10 basic things you need to know about the Land grabbers (Omoniles) before commiting your hard earn money into their hands.

1. Just like you and I, the Omoniles are human beings with flesh and blood running in their veins and therefore should not be feared. Rather, you should strive to understand them and what makes them tick. By so doing you would understand them and know how to deal with them.

2. Omoniles and the love for money go hands in hands. All omoniles are totally money driven and materialistic. If you have the money you would forever be their master.

3. Because the omoniles are closed to land and traditional communities they love reverence.

4. When Omoniles sale land to you, they never thought of keeping any for the future. The next thing on their mind is to marry more wives and bear as many children as possible.

5. If you bought land from Omoniles please keep some money aside because they are still going to come back to you after lavishing the money they got from the land sales on parties and fun fairs.

6. If the above occurs, they become militants and will find a way of extorting money from you.

7. For Every troubles omoniles makes, they sometimes get less because of their complex family structure.

8. When dealing with omoniles, try to show to them that you’re one of them. Play with them, mingle with them and if possible eat with them.

9. When dealing with Omoniles, don’t deal with the father alone; make sure you carry the children along as problems with omo oniles start whenever the head of the family dies.

10. When dealing with Omoniles understand and identify the power brokers (Obas, Baales,) within the family.

11. When dealing with Omoniles ask enough questions as possible so as to save yourself enough trouble in the future.

12. When making payments, make sure you documents the whole process. Take pictures with the people involve, writes down your agreements, do video recordings and collect receipts.

Please note that if we start talking about the omoniles and the ways they operate we won't leave here today. This few point were just to guide your steps so that you won't fall victim of land scam.

Nice write up..

how can someone whose property(estate) he bought from the family 1999, invested in the property. till 2014 then the children and touts ebchroached on the remaining plots of land.

how can someone handle this case.. pls
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Scatterscatter(m): 7:24am On Jul 05, 2016
realomonile:
grin grin grin

A plot of land located at Akesan Lagos state Along Lasu iyana iba going for 1.5m negotiable

Direct seller...

Serious buyer should call/whatsapp 08085310359,

Omonile spotted cool

Hello Nairalanders, i have this land facing Lasu iba express way all round fenced for sale at rate of 70million Naira Negotiable,

Available document: Family Receipt, survey plan,

Side attract: facing expressway, close to Lagos state university, close to Iba New site estate and alot more

NOTE: This is dry Land...

Good for filling Station, churches, shopping mall,event center,schools and lot more..

Serious Buyer should contact Whatsapp 08085310359 For inspection or call 08033588797

One Omonile spotted shocked

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by ibkgab001: 7:27am On Jul 05, 2016
No amount of money you give to them will be enough for them just try and get gun kill as many as possible
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by BlackSeptember: 7:29am On Jul 05, 2016
Omonie are an offshoot of agberoism common in the SW.

I will slap anyone that tells me Those yoruba mofos are not lazy hags who are eating of someone sweat.

The yorubas will keep quiet about this epidemic and turn grand advisors to IJAWS

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by mccoy47(m): 7:30am On Jul 05, 2016
moscobabs:
thanks op

Omo Onile nearly finish me when building my 2 bedroom. flat in Ijoko Ogun state 3 yrs ago

Lintel 30k

last 2 weeks I wanted to build another 2 bedroom flat on the remaining part of the land. to my surprise this guys came from nowhere asking for another 50k for the foundation and they were telling me authoritatively that I will even pay 150k when am ready to do the dekin they stopped the work that day... This is the area I have been living since last year o.

although I have reported them to my younger brother ( Captain in NA) . Soldiers will be on ground this Saturday for the foundation and my brother told me not to look for labourers that day . The Omo oniles will be use as a labourers for the job if they show up.

Benefits of having a military sibling grin

1 Like

Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by mathias32(m): 7:31am On Jul 05, 2016
Lagos pride of Nigeria
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Spells(m): 7:31am On Jul 05, 2016
Wit all there troubles, y Da f would I still buy land from e'm omoniles when it ain't a do or die stuff
Re: 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 05, 2016
moscobabs:
thanks op

Lintel 30k

pls don't forget to video them, I want to laugh my a$$ off ,the video of them slapping each other got me grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Acquire Fct/Abuja Land Directly From Federal Government / Vacating A House Before Tenancy Expires, Do You Get A Refund? / How To Handle A Wicked Landlord please help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.