Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

Dressing For An Interview - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Dressing For An Interview (1023 Views)

10 Rules Of Dressing For Work / Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. / What Not To Say In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dressing For An Interview by Roadblock: 8:09pm On Sep 10, 2009
If a candidate can't put himself together in a professional manner, why should you assume he can put it all together on the job? Unless you look the part, don't expect an offer! It may sound harsh, but that's an accurate summary of most employers' feelings on this issue. It is a fair estimate that 9 out of 10 of today's employers will reject an unsuitably dressed applicant without a second thought.

Like it or not, your outward image, attitude, confidence level and overall delivery are all affected by the clothes you wear. The respect you receive at the interview is in direct proportion to the respect your visual image earns for you before you have a chance to say a word.

The correct image at an interview will give you a real edge over your competition. In fact your overall appearance and presentation may even leave a more tangible impression than words you say, as memory is rooted most strongly in pictures and impressions.

Of course the act of taking time to present an attractive professional image before your interview will add to your own sense of self esteem and confidence too. That is perhaps the greatest advantage of all.

Men

Men’s Suits,

The most acceptable colours for men’s suits are navy through to medium dark blue and charcoal through to light grey. The fabric should be 100% wool. The Darker the suit the more authority it carries. If you must wear striped suits, the stripe pattern must be muted and very narrow. Equally as important the colour of your suit should complement your own colouring and should be the one you feel comfortable wearing. Above all it is the quality and the fit of your suit that matter. Fashions change, but the fit and cut must complement your own build. Whatever style you choose, it should be fairly classic. Also the trousers should fit comfortably at the waist.

Rule 1: always wear a long-sleeved shirt.

Rule 2: always wear a white, cream or pale blue shirt.

Rule 3: Never Violate Rules 1 and 2

By white, I do not mean to exclude, for instance shirts with very thin red or blue pinstripes: these white shirts are acceptable, although not really first rate.

Men’s Neck wears: Ties

While an expensive suit can be ruined by a cheap- looking tie, the right tie can do a lot to pull the less than perfect suit together for a professional look. When you can’t afford a new suit, you can upgrade your whole look with the right tie. Pure silk tie makes the most powerful professional impact, has the best finish and feel and is easiest to tie well. Linen or cotton ties are too informal, wrinkle too easily and may only be worn during warmer weather. The length of your tie, when tied should extend to your trouser belt.

Shoes and Belts

Shoes should be either black or brown leather. Stay away from other materials and colours-they are too risky. Plain or brogue lace –ups are most conservative choice and are almost universally acceptable. Slightly less conservative, but equally appropriate, are smart slip-on shoes- not deck shoes.

The socks should complement your suit. Accordingly, they should be blue, black, grey or brown, They should also be long enough for you to cross your legs without showing off lots of bare skin and should not fall toward the ankle as you move.

Men’s Accessories

The right accessories can enhance professional image of any applicant, male or female; the wrong can destroy it. The guiding principle here is to include nothing that could conceivable be misconstrued or leave a bad impression. Never, for instance should you wear religious or political insignia in the form of rings, ties or pins. The watch you wear should be simple and plain. Preferably analogue with leather strap

Carry a white handkerchief.

Belts should match or complement the shoe you wear. The buckle of your belt must be simple

Men’s Jewellery

You may wear your wedding ring, other kids of rings- much less bracelets, neck chains or medallions – can send the wrong message
Re: Dressing For An Interview by eniola1310(f): 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2009
u'vedone well for the men
womenfolks nko ?
Re: Dressing For An Interview by Roadblock: 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2009
Dear eniola, I will post on this same page the ideal way to dress for an interview for the women as soon as possible.

Stay guled to the page.
Re: Dressing For An Interview by vikiviko(m): 5:07pm On Sep 14, 2009
nice one .

I was dressed in Jean and T,shirt for my Journalism interview job outside 9ja and the employer was only concerned about my abilities and was asking about Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and Jay Jay Okocha.
He never raised eyebrow on my dress code but maybe i was just lucky that day.
Re: Dressing For An Interview by shyanaa: 7:36am On May 23, 2018
Okay
Re: Dressing For An Interview by uwadiahercules: 7:52am On Nov 27, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Neco Sells Scratch Cards To Check For Aptitude Test Invitation / Working In Nihort - What Does It Entails? / Please, Where Can A Biochemist Do His I.t In This Lagos Sef?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.