Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka (27338 Views)

HND And BSC Graduates Wanted In A Microfinance Bank / I Was Thrown Out Over Hnd And Bsc "Wahala" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Tenny05(m): 9:07am On Aug 04, 2016
Full Time Job Opportunities • Motivational Quotes for Students
The Difference Between HND And BSC Certificates Is Discrimination – Wole Soyinka (SHARE THIS)

2 years agoby AdminAdd Comment

The Difference Between HND And BSC Certificates Is Discrimination – Wole Soyinka (SHARE THIS)
The recent media sprout pertaining to the long lasted discrimination between holders of Bsc and Hnd degrees have successfully passed through to the second reading in the House Of Assembly.

However, the nobel Laurette; Professor Wole Soyinka was invited to Channels TV to share his opinion on the aforesaid issue. And he gave clarification on the matter by saying the Government is the root cause of the discrimination sprouting across all industries.

“Basically, looking at this, one would agree the cut off marks for these institutions are clearly not the same. But who sets these cut off marks? What would it cost the Government to ensure the appropriate bodies charged with the sole responsibility of setting the yardsticks into these institutions; get to review the measures.

These are pertinent things we shy away from. I can tell you I have been across products from both institutions and you should know they both produce quacks and good products. So its a question of individual development to an extent. But as regards the nomenclature of the divide. Most people claim, perhaps if the Government can put in facilities to upgrade the polytechincs, maybe they can measure up. But that is pure rubbish.

When was the last time facilities were installed in universities across the nation? All these rants need to stop, because its like planting a seed of enmity among these two categories of students. 

When reliance is totally placed on a government on issues like this, the society fails to move forward. I personally think its high time students across both divides started looking forward to what they can do for themselves as individuals than what some certificate can do for you.

Geniuses are made and not born, but apparently, we have a government that isn’t ready to scrutinize the frustrations being caused by the educational sector to these children at the early stage. When I pass Jamb a couple of times but refused admission several times at the university just because I didn’t make them both my first choice and second choice, won’t I opt for a polytechnic. Or must I keep trying till I wield grey hair? We need to think deep about these things.

The government has really neglected its checks and balances on that. A BSC holder and an Hnd holder should be equal given that they were both able to squarely take-on whatever that was thrown at them during their cause of study.”

He was quoted saying these words Live on Channels TV.

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by DatechMan(m): 9:20am On Aug 04, 2016
Ok sir
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by greatwhite(m): 9:26am On Aug 04, 2016
valid point.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 04, 2016
What about Age discrimination?

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by jamalnation(m): 10:35am On Aug 04, 2016
True.
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Dahkogrin007(m): 11:04am On Aug 04, 2016
Most polytechnic students opts for polytechnic cuz dey culdnt get admission into University..... U ddnt consider d fact admission is more strict in university compared to polytechnic

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by milky3(f): 11:12am On Aug 04, 2016
oya let's strike a balance
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by endtimeshit(m): 11:19am On Aug 04, 2016
Lets be candid: All what most of us university students do is cram to pass exams. Nothing else. Although if our polytechnics were functioning well, we would be exporting cars..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by undefeated(m): 11:27am On Aug 04, 2016
Dahkogrin007:
Most polytechnic students opts for polytechnic cuz dey culdnt get admission into University..... U ddnt consider d fact admission is more strict in university compared to polytechnic
Try entering PTI, then you know some are harder

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Hollawayn05(m): 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2016
Dahkogrin007:

what a Talk? cry
Dahkogrin007:

what a Talk?
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Hollawayn05(m): 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
Dahkogrin007:

what a talk from one Of our future leader..
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by tundezy: 1:13pm On Aug 04, 2016
Most of d best student in University of Ibadan were once product of the neighbouring institution i.e The Polytechnic Ibadan, it's not a matter of jamb score, have seen a student with 283 in jamb dat was rusticated due to poor academic performance.
Most of d poly student scored high in jamb.
After my OND before my DE, I work with an outsourcing firm, to my greatest surprise, I discover most Bsc holders have nothing in their head, I wonder how dey pass thru uni.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by veekid(m): 1:20pm On Aug 04, 2016
Both HND and bsc, which job una see for town way u wan use am do?

9 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by shurlar50(m): 1:37pm On Aug 04, 2016
FG is the root of the problem, The current minister for education is trying to curb this by setting the entry cut off marks to every institutions at 180 yet majority of Jambites complained that it shouldnt be so.
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 04, 2016
Well, i have noticed that HND holders are quite better when it comes to technical things compared to BSc degree holders.

Buh you go fear english mehn.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2016
Tenny05:

The recent media sprout pertaining to the long lasted discrimination between holders of Bsc and Hnd degrees have successfully passed through to the second reading in the House Of Assembly.

However, the nobel Laurette; Professor Wole Soyinka was invited to Channels TV to share his opinion on the aforesaid issue. And he gave clarification on the matter by saying the Government is the root cause of the discrimination sprouting across all industries.

“Basically, looking at this, one would agree the cut off marks for these institutions are clearly not the same. But who sets these cut off marks? What would it cost the Government to ensure the appropriate bodies charged with the sole responsibility of setting the yardsticks into these institutions; get to review the measures.

These are pertinent things we shy away from. I can tell you I have been across products from both institutions and you should know they both produce quacks and good products. So its a question of individual development to an extent. But as regards the nomenclature of the divide. Most people claim, perhaps if the Government can put in facilities to upgrade the polytechincs, maybe they can measure up. But that is pure rubbish.

When was the last time facilities were installed in universities across the nation? All these rants need to stop, because its like planting a seed of enmity among these two categories of students. 

When reliance is totally placed on a government on issues like this, the society fails to move forward. I personally think its high time students across both divides started looking forward to what they can do for themselves as individuals than what some certificate can do for you.

Geniuses are made and not born, but apparently, we have a government that isn’t ready to scrutinize the frustrations being caused by the educational sector to these children at the early stage. When I pass Jamb a couple of times but refused admission several times at the university just because I didn’t make them both my first choice and second choice, won’t I opt for a polytechnic. Or must I keep trying till I wield grey hair? We need to think deep about these things.

The government has really neglected its checks and balances on that. A BSC holder and an Hnd holder should be equal given that they were both able to squarely take-on whatever that was thrown at them during their cause of study.”

Prof Soyinka has said it, just the way it is. I think my case was completely different. In 1993 after i finished my secondary education, I decided that I would study marketing Management. As of that time, only one university in the whole of Nigeria was offering it as a degree course and the name of the uni was uniport. Other universities, probably because they did not seem to see the potentials inherent in this course, only offered it as diploma. I passed both my university and Polytechnic jamb exams very well. At that time, the JAMB used to set uni and poly jamb questions differently, same with exam dates unlike now that everything is merged under UTME umbrella. My parents advised that I studied either Business admin or Economics in place of marketing in any uni of choice but i declined. They actually obtained the uni jamb form for me and advised that I opt into uniport, since I wanted to study marketing at all cost. But because I never wanted to go to the university, uniport was not in my mind. Marketing at that time( even up till date) was better studied in the polytechnic. There would be one year Industrial Experience which was lacking in the university. Invariably, that one practical year is part of the programme. Youn end up spending 5 years in total...2 years in ND , 2 years in HND and one year Internship or you call it IT. I had my IT at Evans and by the time I graduated from a polytechnic, I had garnered the much needed practical experience. I graduated with a good grade and was employed by the same Evans as a regional rep, from there I moved to MTN and Vitabiotics UK, after which I was employed by another UK firm, to head the Nigerian marketing Team. Now, I am an employer with steady growth and productivity. My parents wanted to make a choice for me but i rejected their offer. I did not go to the polytechnic out of frustration because i scored 276, out of 400 uni jamb questions at that time, I could still remember this very clearly. I was to be admitted on merit into Uniport but I refused to go. There are some courses that are better studied in a polytechnic than in a uni. Up till date, the ICAN body has the largest number of poly graduates as chartered members than their uni counterparts. in 1998, my uncle applied to chevron as a geologist. It was clearly stated in their advert that they needed only university graduates but my uncle applied as a geology graduate from Ibadan Poly. In the course of shortlisting candidates, he was the only poly graduate considered and that was the greatest mistake chevron made which turned into luck for my uncle. He participated in their tough aptitude tests. He happened to be the only candidate with the highest score then. The results were thrown off and they posted another advert in Guardian newspaper. Guardian was the only job newspaper at that time and chevron did this because they had not gotten the quality of candidates they needed. He saw it at a vendor's place where he used to read papers and pen down job opportunities. He damned their discrimination and applied again. In a nut shell, he had the highest score and they called him for an oral interview. he was told point-blank that they decided to call him because they wanted to see that outstanding poly graduate. He did well in their oral interview and eventually got the job, alongside 2 other uni graduates. The management said after all, all what they needed was a good candidate and they eventually got one. He was placed on same salary scale as his uni counterparts. That was what made Chevron to change their university graduate mentality. My uncle is one of their ogas in their US HQ till date. He com dey fly like an eagle, touring the world. Our government caused the rubbish. I think parents too have a major role to play in choosing schools and courses for their children. Femi Falana's( the same human rights activist and a successful lawyer) child is amazingly a musician now,somebody who would have been enrolled in Yabatech to study music . His dad sent him to one of the best unis abroad to study law. Now he's back home to entertain us. If I want to study masscomm and I prefer to go to poly, you should not compel me to go to a uni because God holds my future and not my parents or anybody. Cheers!

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by AfricanApple(f): 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2016
no one could have said it better
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by abeyaktech: 4:35pm On Aug 04, 2016
Na true talk
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Jabia(m): 4:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
Dahkogrin007:

Quite wrong. I had a choice between Uniport and PTI. I chose PTI. I love being a technician, and I've consistently shown my engineering colleagues that I'm a force to reckon with.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by dammieight(m): 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2016
awelekiti:
Prof Soyinka has said it, just the way it is. I think my case was completely different. In 1993 after i finished my secondary education, I decided that I would study marketing Management. As of that time, only one university in the whole of Nigeria was offering it as a degree course and the name of the uni was uniport. Other universities, probably because they did not seem to see the potentials inherent in this course, only offered it as diploma. I passed both my university and Polytechnic jamb exams very well. At that time, the JAMB used to set uni and poly jamb questions differently, same with exam dates unlike now that everything is merged under UTME umbrella. My parents advised that I studied either Business admin or Economics in place of marketing in any uni of choice but i declined. They actually obtained the uni jamb form for me and advised that I opt into uniport, since I wanted to study marketing at all cost. But because I never wanted to go to the university, uniport was not in my mind. Marketing at that time( even up till date) was better studied in the polytechnic. There would be one year Industrial Experience which was lacking in the university. Invariably, that one practical year is part of the programme. Youn end up spending 5 years in total...2 years in ND , 2 years in HND and one year Internship or you call it IT. I had my IT at Evans and by the time I graduated from a polytechnic, I had garnered the much needed practical experience. I graduated with a good grade and was employed by the same Evans as a regional rep, from there I moved to MTN and Vitabiotics UK, after which I was employed by another UK firm, to head the Nigerian marketing Team. Now, I am an employer with steady growth and productivity. My parents wanted to make a choice for me but i rejected their offer. I did not go to the polytechnic out of frustration because i scored 276, out of 400 uni jamb questions at that time, I could still remember this very clearly. I was to be admitted on merit into Uniport but I refused to go. There are some courses that are better studied in a polytechnic than in a uni. Up till date, the ICAN body has the largest number of poly graduates as chartered members than their uni counterparts. in 1998, my uncle applied to chevron as a geologist. It was clearly stated in their advert that they needed only university graduates but my uncle applied as a geology graduate from Ibadan Poly. In the course of shortlisting candidates, he was the only poly graduate considered and that was the greatest mistake chevron made which turned into luck for my uncle. He participated in their tough aptitude tests. He happened to be the only candidate with the highest score then. The results were thrown off and they posted another advert in Guardian newspaper. Guardian was the only job newspaper at that time and chevron did this because they had not gotten the quality of candidates they needed. He saw it at a vendor's place where he used to read papers and pen down job opportunities. He damned their discrimination and applied again. In a nut shell, he had the highest score and they called him for an oral interview. he was told point-blank that they decided to call him because they wanted to see that outstanding poly graduate. He did well in their oral interview and eventually got the job, alongside 2 other uni graduates. The management said after all, all what they needed was a good candidate and they eventually got one. He was placed on same salary scale as his uni counterparts. That was what made Chevron to change their university graduate mentality. My uncle is one of their ogas in their US HQ till date. He com dey fly like an eagle, touring the world. Our government caused the rubbish. I think parents too have a major role to play in choosing schools and courses for their children. Femi Falana's( the same human rights activist and a successful lawyer) child is amazingly a musician now,somebody who would have been enrolled in Yabatech to study music . His dad sent him to one of the best unis abroad to study law. Now he's back home to entertain us. If I want to study masscomm and I prefer to go to poly, you should not compel me to go to a uni because God holds my future and not my parents or anybody. Cheers!

Well said sir

1 Like

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by sheddo619(m): 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2016
tundezy:
Most of d best student in University of Ibadan were once product of the neighbouring institution i.e The Polytechnic Ibadan, it's not a matter of jamb score, have seen a student with 283 in jamb dat was rusticated due to poor academic performance.
Most of d poly student scored high in jamb.
After my OND before my DE, I work with an outsourcing firm, to my greatest surprise, I discover most Bsc holders have nothing in their head, I wonder how dey pass thru uni.
I have a friend that got admission last year through D.E, do u know that 13 out of the 15 D.E students are currently in G.P not less than 4.as at their last semester result

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by lastmessenger: 6:45pm On Aug 04, 2016
Nigeria must wake up to reality. There is a difference between the two schools and none is greater than the other

1 Like

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Opistorincos(m): 7:52pm On Aug 04, 2016
Exactly, the problem with the Nigerian system is discrimination
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2016
Perfect thread for polytechnic students and graduates to masturbate with. grin
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Twizzy30(m): 9:08pm On Aug 04, 2016
Well said Prof Soyinka. Laspotech straight my head wella.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by guiddoti: 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
where do we place companies recruiting MSc graduates for entry postion?
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Harvard13(m): 10:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
undefeated:

Try entering PTI, then you know some are harder

PTI isnt that hard?? pffft...most of my friends dey dere so i know. and PTI is rtively harder because the jobs at the end of the tunnel are wonderful. its not like a classic poly.
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by braithwaite(m): 11:56pm On Aug 04, 2016

Our governmental system is corrupt

Nigerian education is flawed

The youth are not helping matters..

1 Like

Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Vick4rill(m): 10:44am On Aug 05, 2016
even if the dichotomy is removed,. universities will still be ahead. this is the bitter truth most poly student is finding hard to swallow.
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Cooldude68(m): 12:37pm On Aug 05, 2016
1. Lecturers in our Polytechnics are students in our these universities taking one post-graduate programme or the other.
2. Technically the university curriculum is more richer than that of the polytechnic.
3. In the university, u need a minimum of MSc or M.Tech before u can lecture. But with just a HND, u can lecture in the poly
4. The curriculum of the University is more tighter than the poly trust me... Courses that 300LEvel students are taking are the same with the ones HND 2 students are taking.
postgraduate diploma (PGD) students do more of university undergraduate courses.
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by power900: 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
Tenny05:

the video please?
Re: Difference Between HND And Bsc- Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2016
Cooldude68:
1. Lecturers in our Polytechnics are students in our these universities taking one post-graduate programme or the other.
2. Technically the university curriculum is more richer than that of the polytechnic.
3. In the university, u need a minimum of MSc or M.Tech before u can lecture. But with just a HND, u can lecture in the poly
4. The curriculum of the University is more tighter than the poly trust me... Courses that 300LEvel students are taking are the same with the ones HND 2 students are taking.
postgraduate diploma (PGD) students do more of university undergraduate courses.
In as much as I agree with you that some lecturers in the polytechnics are students in some universities, I blame all these on our government that gave room for discrimination because it's not the same abroad. Had polytechnics been given the opportunity to award degrees and PHDs like their counterparts abroad, our polytechnics would have been more respected and placed on same pedestal with unis. You will also agree with me that Bsc holders are also permitted to lecture in universities, whilst they proceed in their careers in same universities as students(that is, the student lecturers). If poly had been given the same opportunity, their graduates would have remained in poly as lecturers whilst they still continue with their further studies as student lecturers in poly. They shouldn't have anything to do with universities. Technically, I decline to agree with you that unis are more equipped than polys. Have you visited any of the first generation polys? Polytechnics are founded basically to produce technical and vocational graduates hence, the body called NBTE, which regulates poly affairs just like we have NUC and the likes. Quote me anywhere, the best Engineers, Accountants, Surveyors, Architects, Marketers, Bankers, Accountants, Geologists we have today are products of poly. Due to discrimination, many have been forced to earn degrees at master's level so they could be on same level as their uni counterparts at the labour market. This should not be , because they are 2 different institutions pursuing different goals. At ND level, a poly student is already done with what a three hundred level university students are doing. At ND2, a poly student can attempt ICAN and pass well because they would have covered up to 70 percent of the ICAN curriculum. My roommate attempted it once. He was in his ND2 at that time. Just like I mentioned in my earlier post, many people like me did not wish to go to the university because uni lacks some skills needed to enable students excel in their chosen courses because such courses are not meant for universities but poly. In my school, our engineering department is like an automobile factory. My cousin's school, which prides itself as the first uni in west africa didn't have such at that time, as big as they were in name and standard. Also, you are asked to go on a year compulsory practical experience called IT or internship abroad. In the uni, its 6 months max. This is just an example. The PGD before MSC which poly graduates go through is unfair. It's just like asking an SS2 student to wait until he/she gets to SS3 before he/she could write WAEC. You an I know that SS3 is a waste of time because all the subjects taught are a summary of SS1-SS2 subjects. It's a waste of time. I have seen students who cleared all their papers while in SS2 at a stretch ( both WAEC, NECO and SSCE). Poly graduates should have been allowed to further their studies and obtain a degree in same environment like uni, as obtainable in the western countries that introduced the system to us here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo Reveals Number Of Nigerians Employed Under APC / Top 8 Jobs With High Employment Chances For Fresh Graduates / Benin City Vs Asaba City Which Provide More Job Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.