Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Help Me Build This House!!!!!! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Me Build This House!!!!!! (2941 Views)

This House Takes 6 Hours To Build And Costs Just $33K / How Much Will It Cost To Build This Mansion? / We Lighted This House... (inclusive Fire Alarm & Speakers Installations) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 1:42pm On Aug 04, 2016
Good afternoon sir/ma.....

I want all d personalities in dis section to help me build my 3bedroom flat all ensuite with their inputs..
I have a land which is a little water logged located in lagos, Ajah to b precise...the size is a plot minus quarter...
I have done d fence which i tried to update inhouse sometime ago..i want the following......

1) I want u to help me suggest an inhouse architect that help me with drawing...
2)I already have some materials on ground which ranges from 3 tons of 16mm, a trip of sharp sand, a trip of granite, 2000 pieces of hand made 9inches block....
3) I intend to supervise with ur assistance cos i will keep updating u
4)or any engineer that can do it but i don't have plenty money to pay u....
5)I have 200 bags of cement that i payed for in bits....
6) I will b d one to buy d remaining materials...
Thank u so much as u help a sister in building this house....

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hajj mufutau, Egunmogaji, brabus, iherooke, and others please help me!
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 2:15pm On Aug 04, 2016
Gabbytabby, segcymoor, abdulwastec, syder88, erico2k2....
I need ur inputs
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by ayusman16(m): 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2016
U want to build house?
U want to supervise it yourself?
U dont have penty money to pay?
U want an engineer to assist free?
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by msogunro: 4:03pm On Aug 04, 2016
Front seat taken. This should be interesting.
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by ogbenicodes(m): 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2016
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2016
Yes sir I want to build...
Yes sir i want to supervise...
I never said an engr for free....
But if an engineer can do with little money..
Thank u sir for ur input....
I shall testify
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 04, 2016

4 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by ihebrooke(m): 4:30pm On Aug 04, 2016
Ytechconst:

My sister i will advice you use a professional to supervise your project. You are about to build on an unstable soil and water logged for that matter and you dont want to pay professionals, you want to do it your self.

My sister i dont think any professional will render a free service because it will be put to you that if you can afford to buy a water logged land in Ajah of which is expensive, you can afford to procure materials and pay Artisans fee to build the house, then why is it that the professionals fee that will ensure that the building construction process from design to construction is done in the right and safe manner is an issue.

You can simply get an engineer that will consult for you in stages, he will give the workers a brief of what to do and how it will be done, he will interprete the Architectural and structural drawings where necessary to the Artisans. Then you can pay the engineer per visit. You will still get a good result instead of doing it yourself.

Well said.

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 4:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
[quote author=Ytechconst post=48186130]

My sister i will advice you use a professional to supervise your project. You are about to build on an unstable soil and water logged for that matter and you dont want to pay professionals, you want to do it your self.

My sister i dont think any professional will render a free service because it will be put to you that if you can afford to buy a water logged land in Ajah of which is expensive, you can afford to procure materials and pay Artisans fee to build the house, then why is it that the professionals fee that will ensure that the building construction process from design to construction is done in the right and safe manner is an issue.

You can simply get an engineer that will consult for you in stages, he will give the workers a brief of what to do and how it will be done, he will interprete the Architectural and structural drawings where necessary to the Artisans. Then you can pay the engineer per visit. You will still get a good result instead of doing it yourself.[/quote

Thank u sir.....]
God bless u so much for dis input!
The land is not that expensive but I never said I can't pay but u know d way engrs charge....I supervised d fencing cos d fence sits on raft...I want an engineer that will allow me buy materialss...

Sir, pls put me through...

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by abdulwastecx(m): 5:06pm On Aug 04, 2016
sexyboocalher:
Hajj mufutau, Egunmogaji, brabus, iherooke, and others please help me!

You are welcome ma... I am really happy that you are investing your hard earned money on building a place for your family in this present hard economic climate.

I will like to be know the type of house you will like to build. If you are planning to build a Bungalow, you can managed it yourself with a good builder/engineer/architect help you build the house to your taste.

I like the way you came out open minded seeking for and I know this is the right medium for you to get all the help you need to build your house.

5 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 5:23pm On Aug 04, 2016
Oga iherooke, thank u sir!
Pls more suggestions
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

You are welcome ma... I am really happy that you are investing your hard earned money on building a place for your family in this present hard economic climate.

I will like to be know the type of house you will like to build. If you are planning to build a Bungalow, you can managed it yourself with a good builder/engineer/architect help you build the house to your taste.

I like the way you came out open minded seeking for and I know this is the right medium for you to get all the help you need to build your house.

An impeccable answer.

Thank you Sir.

4 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Oga Abdul, it's a 3bedroom bungalow, all ensuite..he thing is, I do not want anyone to cheat me that's d reason i rely so much on u people....

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by mufutau55(m): 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2016
My sister... we are lurking around here o, make you no think say we no dey here.
All the advises I have read so far are all good and your responses are very nice too... people like you will get good help.
Nobody want to be cheated by some of those people out there parading themselves as Engineers and Builders... money is not easy o.
Just take your time to manage and oversee all the materials and expenses but still have some professionals to do the job not quacks.
Look and read my signature below and let that be a guide... Professionals on Properties Forum, please come out of your shell and lending a helping hand to my sister in need. God help you sister.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Santa2: 6:48pm On Aug 04, 2016
I have been a keen follower on this property section. Drawing loads of ideas and experience from here. so much so that artisans on my site think am an experienced builder.lol even though this is my first build.

I can relate to the op totally cos I find my self in the shoes. I engaged an architect to supervise for me. He currently has several projects around Abraham adesanya - ajah axis. if u discuss with him he might be able to add urs. He isn't very active here on nairaland but he has posted some of his works here. He's handle is @efeej I think

It's my first time posting here, I salute all my ogas hajj, in the house, u guys do not know how many lives u have touched. u no do well. u guyz should continue the good work.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 04, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by abdulwastecx(m): 7:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

An impeccable answer.

Thank you Sir.

Thank you sir... People like you are giving us more strength to work harder sir.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 04, 2016
I've never met anybody on property section that was looking for free supervision. OP is not looking for free supervision.

What she's looking for and what I look for is prudent fees.

All the stories in the world won't negate an exhorbitant and unaffordable fee.

Instead of stories, the building industry needs to get together and set a professional fee scheme.

Why would I hire some inept dimwit that can't build a house without it sinking if I can get Spyder880 for the same fee, even if I have to wait for his schedule to open.

You guys are your own worst enemies by not setting standards and it is not the consumers like me that are trying to make heads or tails from this Nigerian building clusterfraud and will ultimately writes the check.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by abdulwastecx(m): 8:04pm On Aug 04, 2016
sexyboocalher:

Oga Abdul, it's a 3bedroom bungalow, all ensuite..he thing is, I do not want anyone to cheat me that's d reason i rely so much on u people....

You are on the right track ma.

Three bedroom flat don't really required too much structural work but in your own case, the building will be sitting on supposedly poor soil which make it a little bit complicated.

I suppose your budget is tight and you want to oversee the construction yourself as a project manager, I think that will help you safe cost and also help you ensure quality job is done.

I will give you the following advice to start with.
1. Carry out a detailed soil investigation to ascertain the nature of the soil. Though your building is not that large structural but the nature of the soil demand you understand the soil property so that the best type of foundation can be proposed to you.
People run away from soil test because of preconceived notion of cost but soil test help you design the most economical type of foundation.

2. Discuss your brief, send your survey plan to architect to design your building base on your budget.

3. Get a good builder(not necessarily an engineer) and discuss your design with him, discuss your budget with, your payment plan, discuss how your want to procure your materials.

From there you can start

5 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

An impeccable answer.

Thank you Sir.

Sir Eguns, God bless u sir!
I will make sure i keep u all posted....

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:07pm On Aug 04, 2016
mufutau55:
My sister... we are lurking around here o, make you no think say we no dey here.
All the advises I have read so far are all good and your responses are very nice too... people like you will get good help.
Nobody want to be cheated by some of those people out there parading themselves as Engineers and Builders... money is not easy o.
Just take your time to manage and oversee all the materials and expenses but still have some professionals to do the job not quacks.
Look and read my signature below and let that be a guide... Professionals on Properties Forum, please come out of your shell and lending a helping hand to my sister in need. God help you sister.

Hajji M.

**brings out handkerchief and starts dancing**
I appreciate sir!.......I intend posting d survey plan this night....
Ese pupo sir....

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2016
Santa2:
I have been a keen follower on this property section. Drawing loads of ideas and experience from here. so much so that artisans on my site think am an experienced builder.lol even though this is my first build.

I can relate to the op totally cos I find my self in the shoes. I engaged an architect to supervise for me. He currently has several projects around Abraham adesanya - ajah axis. if u discuss with him he might be able to add urs. He isn't very active here on nairaland but he has posted some of his works here. He's handle is @efeej I think

It's my first time posting here, I salute all my ogas hajj, in the house, u guys do not know how many lives u have touched. u no do well. u guyz should continue the good work.

Sir, do u mean d architect that gave u drawing? Can d person also oversee d project?.....please pardon my mumu questions o....i am sorry sir
Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:22pm On Aug 04, 2016
Ytechconst:

Engineers dont just charge. Their are basis for charging fees just like every other profession such as Accounting, legal etc.

If you look at it now you said you supervised the fence and its sitting on raft, fence does not sit on raft but ground beams or retaining walls.

When you did the fence did you get a structural drawing for the fence? Did you consult a structural engineer for the arrangement of reinforcement in the ground beams, also do you know may be the ground beam only will sustain the fence for a life time or it will require spread footing and toe to strenghten it more before concluding on ground beam only.

So my sister engage an engineer. Buying your material will not be any professionals issue because you are even sheading off duties off his neck simply because procurement alone is another workload of which you will not pay him for that if you entrust it on him.

My own firm has done a lot of projects on the mainland and island of which at the start of the project they handle the procurement for foundation stage but moving further they backed out and left everything to us to handle because of the following reasons:

1. Stress of procurement, monitoring suppliers and timing for delivery.

2. Substandard quality supplied( e.g reinforcement quality, cast iron were supplied.)

3. Incomplete quantity (the client only know that 10tyre truck is 20ton they do not know if the bucket is 20ton or 15ton) if we are to engage supplier for granular materials we can measure bucket and determine the tonnage in the bucket.

At the end of the foundation stage clients discovers that they have spent up to additional 20% on the figure in the material bill we gave him to procure for the work stage.

If clients had given procurement to us we would have delivered at the same cost on the bill because we are experienced in monitoring quantity, quality and also timing rightly.

So to all clients here at times you feel you are saving cost whereas you are loosing a lot.

Like i use to say a slogan to most client who calls me for services for free or at a ridiculous fee. IF I DONT CHARGE YOU OR I OFFER FREE SERVICE, WHEN WILL I BUILD MY OWN HOUSE. But i thank God i have my own house now and even building to let out.

Lets not only credit professionals here for job well done, lets value professionals here and also pay them what its worth it when we are engaging them, builders and engineers fee on project are usualy calculated to be between 10 to 20% of the value of your project. If you are building a duplex of 30million paying the builder between 3-6million for professional overhead and profit from start to completion to get things right is not too bad

Sir, u sound like a wicked lecture (I am sorry sir)
D way u are writing seem as if u are angry with me...
D fact that i am a medical doctor does not mean i won't have pity when i see a patient who needs my help...
I never said it should be free, but d engr has to b considerate cos whatever am bn charged will be posted on ds page!
If i all our ogas in here speak like u sir, small earners like us will be tenents forever....
All d same, thank u sir.....

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I've never met anybody on property section that was looking for free supervision. OP is not looking for free supervision.

What she's looking for and what I look for is prudent fees.

All the stories in the world won't negate an exhorbitant and unaffordable fee.

Instead if stories the building industry needs to get together and set a professional fee scheme.

Why would I hire some inept dimwit that can't build a house without it sinking if I can get Spyder880 for the same fee, even if I have to wait for his schedule to open.

You guys are your own worst enemies by not setting standards and it is not the consumers like me that are trying to make heads or takes from this Nigerian building clusterfraud and will ultimately writes the check.

Ese pupo sir....
I only want someone that will not over bill me as if I work in an oil company....I will keep d house posted sir....

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

You are on the right track ma.

Three bedroom flat don't really required too much structural work but in your own case, the building will be sitting on supposedly poor soil which make it a little bit complicated.

I suppose your budget is tight and you want to oversee the construction yourself as a project manager, I think that will help you safe cost and also help you ensure quality job is done.

I will give you the following advice to start with.
1. Carry out a detailed soil investigation to ascertain the nature of the soil. Though your building is not that large structural but the nature of the soil demand you understand the soil property so that the best type of foundation can be proposed to you.
People run away from soil test because of preconceived notion of cost but soil test help you design the most economical type of foundation.

2. Discuss your brief, send your survey plan to architect to design your building base on your budget.

3. Get a good builder(not necessarily an engineer) and discuss your design with him, discuss your with, your payment plan, discuss how your want to procure your materials.

From there you can start

Oga Abdul, may almighty God never leave u!
1) I hear soil test is expensive don't know how it is....
If I now use big money for soil test, don't u think my budget will shrink?
2)how much do u think i will b charged for a detailed architectural drawing?
3( yes sir, my budget is very tight but i won't comprise on quality...
May u never lack insha Allah..

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by sexyboocalher(f): 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2016
Santa2:

It will not be our last....
Thank u sir....

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by abdulwastecx(m): 9:57pm On Aug 04, 2016
sexyboocalher:

Oga Abdul, may almighty God never leave u!
1) I hear soil test is expensive don't know how it is....
If I now use big money for soil test, don't u think my budget will shrink?
2)how much do u think i will b charged for a detailed architectural drawing?
3( yes sir, my budget is very tight but i won't comprise on quality...
May u never lack insha Allah..

I don't think that will be too expensive. For a bungalow, it should be within 60 to 100k.

A detailed architectural design together with a three dimensional drawings should cost you around N120k

With what you have on ground as materials, I think your building will go far.

I don't want to you to be discouraged by some negative comments here.

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 04, 2016

6 Likes

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 04, 2016
Ytechconst:

Dont quote me wrong madam. You can check on all my thread and also ask around especially from my oga at the top Hajj Mufutau, he knows me very well.

I give lots of free advice and consultation especially to nairalanders here, i receive calls for advice almost every week from here and i give the advice and consultation within my reach. But any consultation that will involve leaving my office to a site or prepare sort of cost or interprete what is on the working drawings on ground or anything that will involve putting in my resources then i specify charges and have an understanding.

As clients out here are guarding towards bin ripped off so also we professionals are also guarding against just bin used. I know some other professional would understand better what i mean.

As i have said earlier, its just simple, get a good builder to prepare you a material estimate required, get your working drawings( Architectural & Structural) done by a good Architect and structural engineer respectively.

Then engage a builder to execute per visit, his presence is need in setting out, formwork and reinforcement arrangement for ground beam, laying of dpm polythene and blinding, reinforcement arrangement for the raft slab after dpc and dpm is in place and lastly block forming on ground floor.

You can negotiate the visit of the builder with him for this 5 stages then set the ball rolling.

I'm going to just assume that you're having a bad day and you're not normally this disgruntled at potential clients.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by olumide4christ: 10:35pm On Aug 04, 2016
Ytechconst:

Dont quote me wrong madam. You can check on all my thread and also ask around especially from my oga at the top Hajj Mufutau, he knows me very well.

I give lots of free advice and consultation especially to nairalanders here, i receive calls for advice almost every week from here and i give the advice and consultation within my reach. But any consultation that will involve leaving my office to a site or prepare sort of cost or interprete what is on the working drawings on ground or anything that will involve putting in my resources then i specify charges and have an understanding.

As clients out here are guarding towards bin ripped off so also we professionals are also guarding against just bin used. I know some other professional would understand better what i mean.

As i have said earlier, its just simple, get a good builder to prepare you a material estimate required, get your working drawings( Architectural & Structural) done by a good Architect and structural engineer respectively.

Then engage a builder to execute per visit, his presence is need in setting out, formwork and reinforcement arrangement for ground beam, laying of dpm polythene and blinding, reinforcement arrangement for the raft slab after dpc and dpm is in place and lastly block forming on ground floor.

You can negotiate the visit of the builder with him for this 5 stages then set the ball rolling.

Well said. It is well!!

1 Like

Re: Help Me Build This House!!!!!! by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 04, 2016

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Generator Buying Guide / Cheap Properties For Sale In Lagos-nigeria / Lsdpc House And Fha Houses For Sale In Estate In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.