Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure (9406 Views)

Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria / What Is The Recommended Tyre Pressure?' This Revelation Will Surprise You / O7 Camry Tyre Pressure Monitor Display Issues And Error Code P0441 Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by kumari089(m): 7:18pm On Aug 20, 2016
Hi guys,
I would like to know the implication of inflating my car tyre to 50psi (both front and rear wheels), when the manufacturer recommends 30psi for front and 32psi for the rear wheel.
Note I decide to use 50psi as my tyre pressure because that's what most people use.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2016
just do a little research and do not be lazy even on nairaland car section.....

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Bright2(m): 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
My dear, this tyre inflation of a thing tire me oo, some will say it's 29 some 32 some 40 etc.I don't know the type of measurement guage they use as every body will always mention PSI. We have pressure guage measurement for barr,psi,torr,at, atm etc.

irrespective of all these, it's that 50 whatever that do inflate my tyre to normal,i tried 32 & my steering wheel wobbled then i tried 40 & it was a little better but when i tried inflating it to 50 practically, my car accelarated well & smooth so am on 50 & that's final.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by kumari089(m): 4:33am On Aug 21, 2016
Thanks bright 2. I notice most recommended tyre pressure for most cars shipped to Nigeria falls btw 30psi and 32psi but this number is really adhere to.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by free2ryhme: 6:39am On Aug 21, 2016
We don't have tyre pressure in nigeria.

Tell vulcanizer it is either a 40 or 45

2 Likes

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Franchise21(m): 6:39am On Aug 21, 2016
Following. Hope to be enlightened

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by free2ryhme: 6:40am On Aug 21, 2016
When has pumping you tyre become a DIY

Go pay for tyre pumping
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by free2ryhme: 6:42am On Aug 21, 2016
How many educated people are into vulcanizing?

Very few and the number of little educated people are much.

If you want a correct tyre pumping let a large number of educated people go into vulcanizing and you will never ask this question again on nairaland
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by vani86: 6:43am On Aug 21, 2016
My car says 30 psi, while the tyre says 50. When it was 50, i noticed the car was very stiff, i felt every bump on the road, and this is a car that glides through a road, its main selling point is a smooth ride. Then i reduced it to 30Psi and boom, it became a buttery smooth ride, yhe less air also acts as a shock absorber.

2nd point: air expands when it gets hotN Thats why they say 30 psi, when speeding in a hot environment the air actually expands in the tyre at 30 there is space for it to expand at 50 there is non hence it could actually explode.

3rd point, at 50 psi the tyre wont wear evenly likt it would have a the recommended 30 PSI

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Bishop4bella(m): 6:43am On Aug 21, 2016
Over inflation and under inflation affect the performance of the steering even the Tyre is liable to spoil b4 d due time.

Tyrese with 30psi and rest psi may be recommended for the particular country whr it was produced due to their roads. But smuggling of these tyres gives challenges here in Nigeria

40-50psi may be Standard pressure for Nigeria roads because road as well is a determinant Tyre pressures.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by ironheart(m): 6:46am On Aug 21, 2016
Check around the door pillar or the fuel lock compartment. The true tire pressure for your car is there. 99.9% of Nigerians do not like to read. So let me keep it simple

Air expands when hot. The tires are like rubber rings that are used to tie money in the banks. If you pull then too far with your hand they will break. When air expand due to the hot weather, hot road and friction between the road and the tire, they push against the wall of the tire and aa lot of stress is built up just like the hand pulling the rubber ring. If you over inflate your tire, When it reaches its limit, it will break. This are some of the reasing we have so many accidents on Nigerian roads.

5 Likes

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Innodon(m): 6:48am On Aug 21, 2016
Ok
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by dabongys: 6:52am On Aug 21, 2016
Effects of wrong tyre pressure:
1. Over-inflation especially above 40psi would most likely result in an explosion at high speeds especially on hot days. Reason being that the tyre pressure due to air friction (inside the tire itself) rises. Think of the late minister who died as a result of a tyre burst, I have my doubts he was actually using expired tyres. I think he was driving on over-inflated tyres.
2. Under-inflation especially below 28psi would increase your fuel consumption. If the front tyres are under inflated, it makes the power steering system work harder...more wear and tear.
The best tyre pressure is that found on the sticker you see as you open the driver's door.

9 Likes

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Gegz(m): 6:53am On Aug 21, 2016
So recently I researched recommended psi for front and rare wheels of cars. Three things I learnt

1) most cars have their front wheel psi higher than the rare wheels because the front wheel psi supports the engines of these cars hence, they have higher psi's than the rare wheels.
2) most recommended psi's from the manufacturing companies sometimes don't really apply considering the country of usage and the quality of roads in these countries hence, varrying air pressures as against company recommended pressures
3)personal opinion though, I think if the recommended psi range is between 30-32,35... Any further increment should be between the said 35-40 or at most 45.... To avoid over inflating these tyres for these tyres not to burst on the road considering the facts that's air in tyres expand due to heat.

Have a great and smooth Sunday guys

7 Likes

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by emoa2002(m): 6:55am On Aug 21, 2016
vani86:
My car says 30 psi, while the tyre says 50. When it was 50, i noticed the car was very stiff, i felt every bump on the road, and this is a car that glides through a road, its main selling point is a smooth ride. Then i reduced it to 30Psi and boom, it became a buttery smooth ride, yhe less air also acts as a shock absorber.

2nd point: air expands when it gets hotN Thats why they say 30 psi, when speeding in a hot environment the air actually expands in the tyre at 30 there is space for it to expand at 50 there is non hence it could actually explode.

3rd point, at 50 psi the tyre wont wear evenly likt it would have a the recommended 30 PSI
Very correct, you are on point, moreover always check and read the manual that came with the car, that's where you will get the desire pressure, the tyre manufacturers will only give you the pressure limit of their product, but the car manufacturer will give the desire pressure you need to ride their product smoothly.

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by kingreign(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2016
kumari089:
Hi guys,
I would like to know the implication of inflating my car tyre to 50psi (both front and rear wheels), when the manufacturer recommends 30psi for front and 32psi for the rear wheel.
Note I decide to use 50psi as my tyre pressure because that's what most people use.
Over inflated tyres makes your tyre go bald easily, you lose traction and effective braking especially in the wet or muddy terrain, you could end up with bent or deformed tyres, on high speed your tyre and/or wheels could be shredded if you hit a pothole, it gives a bouncy Jarry ride, can destroy the suspensions too and can trigger a lot of system monitoring errors if your car has them eh. TPMS, air suspension etc.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by sauceEEP(m): 6:57am On Aug 21, 2016
Waiting for siena's comment....
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by kingreign(m): 6:58am On Aug 21, 2016
sauceEEP:

He deactivated
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by scarr: 7:01am On Aug 21, 2016
Always try to never let d psi exceed 40 but wasiu always thinks 50 is the best even when i tell him I don't want it.

More pressure in d tyre makes d rubber thinner.
On a hot abuja asphalt, ur tyres could explode.

More pressure leads to a bouncy car, makes rough roads more difficult to navigate.

#myopinion
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Emeka71(m): 7:30am On Aug 21, 2016
I am even looking for pump to pump my back tyre.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by ironheart(m): 7:35am On Aug 21, 2016
kingreign:

He deactivated
why? That guy has been a wealth of experience to Nairaland
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Joker123: 8:06am On Aug 21, 2016
when y'all say 'Air Expands with heat'....it mks me laugh,Cos the tire iteslf expands to contain more air so ur tire actually becomes less turgid with heat....#simplephysics

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by steve6: 8:10am On Aug 21, 2016
[quote author=ironheart post=48665915]Check around the door pillar or the fuel lock compartment. The true tire pressure for your car is there. 99.9% of Nigerians do not like to read. So let me keep it simple

Air expands when hot. The tires are like rubber rings that are used to tie money in the banks. If you pull then too far with your hand they will break. When air expand due to the hot weather, hot road and friction between the road and the tire, they push against the wall of the tire and aa lot of stress is built up just like the hand pulling the rubber ring. If you over inflate your tire, When it reaches its limit, it will break. This are some of the reasing we have so many accidents on Nigerian roads.[/quite]
Thank you Sir !*
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by steve6: 8:10am On Aug 21, 2016
[quote author=ironheart post=48665915]Check around the door pillar or the fuel lock compartment. The true tire pressure for your car is there. 99.9% of Nigerians do not like to read. So let me keep it simple

Air expands when hot. The tires are like rubber rings that are used to tie money in the banks. If you pull then too far with your hand they will break. When air expand due to the hot weather, hot road and friction between the road and the tire, they push against the wall of the tire and aa lot of stress is built up just like the hand pulling the rubber ring. If you over inflate your tire, When it reaches its limit, it will break. This are some of the reasing we have so many accidents on Nigerian roads.[/quite]
Thank you Sir !
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by steve6: 8:15am On Aug 21, 2016
dabongys:
Effects of wrong tyre pressure:
1. Over-inflation especially above 40psi would most likely result in an explosion at high speeds especially on hot days. Reason being that the tyre pressure due to air friction (inside the tire itself) rises. Think of the late minister who died as a result of a tyre burst, I have my doubts he was actually using expired tyres. I think he was driving on over-inflated tyres.
2. Under-inflation especially below 28psi would increase your fuel consumption. If the front tyres are under inflated, it makes the power steering system work harder...more wear and tear.
The best tyre pressure is that found on the sticker you see as you open the driver's door.

Kudos !
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by ogawisdom(m): 8:46am On Aug 21, 2016
sauceEEP:

He has been banned for life angry angry

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Spells(m): 8:55am On Aug 21, 2016
At the end... What must be must be. Whether 20psi, 30, 40,or 50.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 21, 2016
vani86:

You made what I think is a very fine point and that is why I am quoting you to know what you think of my own idea.
That Tyres could act as part of shock absorbers when inflated to desirable pressures is something that had never occurred to me yet so true.
My take on this topic is that I feel it's better to follow the car manufacturer's exact recommended tyres and inflate slightly below that recommendation cos we are practically in a much warmer region than where those recommendations where made.
I have never come across a car on which the recommendation is as low as 30psi!!!. First time I heard or read about it I was surprised and the lady that mentioned it was complaining that her tyres looked quite under inflated and dragged on the road. I just asked her to check the recommended pressure for the tyre she bought and it was way higher than 30 so I advised she should go by the tyres own capacity and inflate below that. That ended her problems.
The recommended tyre pressure for my present car is 60psi but I use 45 and it works for me.
Pls what kind of cars usually have such very low recommended pressures. I would really like to know.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by sammily(m): 9:51am On Aug 21, 2016
Sincere4u:

You made what I think is a very fine point and that is why I am quoting you to know what you think of my own idea.
That Tyres could act as part of shock absorbers when inflated to desirable pressures is something that had never occurred to me yet so true.
My take on this topic is that I feel it's better to follow the car manufacturer's exact recommended tyres and inflate slightly below that recommendation cos we are practically in a much warmer region than where those recommendations where made.
I have never come across a car on which the recommendation is as low as 30psi!!!. First time I heard or read about it I was surprised and the lady that mentioned it was complaining that her tyres looked quite under inflated and dragged on the road. I just asked her to check the recommended pressure for the tyre she bought and it was way higher than 30 so I advised she should go by the tyres own capacity and inflate below that. That ended her problems.
The recommended tyre pressure for my present car is 60psi but I use 45 and it works for me.
Pls what kind of cars usually have such very low recommended pressures. I would really like to know.

Toyota Corolla (2006) has a recommended tyre pressure of 30psi.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 21, 2016
sammily:

Toyota Corolla (2006) has a recommended tyre pressure of 30psi.
Seriously?. I don't use corolla but I'll certainly go for a look. Is it that light?. Waow!, how interesting.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by fortunejum: 10:00am On Aug 21, 2016
I have difference make of Tyre in my car with difference psi recommendations.For me I think we should not overlook the tyre manufacturer recommendation(s). There are also important, let the car psi recommendation determines the type of tyre to purchase. If the car manufacturer recommends 30psi for instance, look for a tyre with the same or almost the same psi recommendation and buy.
Dont buy a tyre that recommends 40 psi for instance to a 30 psi car recommendation. The gap is much.

1 Like

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by talktrue1(m): 10:29am On Aug 21, 2016
The worst is that most of their gauge are not accurate. Tell a vulcanizer to pump 40 psi. When you gauge it with another vulcanizer, it will give gou4 35 or 45.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Features That Would Become Standard In All Cars Very Soon / Dear Men, Do Share Your Experiences Of Good Female Drivers You Have Ever Seen / Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.