Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

The Edge - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Edge (699 Views)

Poetry: Quest For Solitude, Confusion, On The Edge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Edge by ttopswag(m): 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2016
Copyright©2016 by Odeniyi Toluwani All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system,without the prior permission of the author. This eBook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This book may no be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person,please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you're reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return it and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, organizations, places, events, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictionally. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Re: The Edge by ttopswag(m): 4:52pm On Oct 02, 2016
THE EDGE

CHAPTER ONE

"Wait ooh, are you trying to tell me Dara hasn't said anything about the disagreement you had last week? " Desola asked with her hands akimbo and her lips pressing against each other. She was sitting on a sofa in the well furnished sitting room of her childhood friend Olamide and suddenly charged up when Mide mentioned something about Dara, Mide's fiance of 2years.

"oh-oh-oh" Mide groaned, "Just sit down Desola, is that why you now got up like you just heard Osama Bin Laden is dead" She said sarcastically, then continued.
"Listen Desola, I've known Dara for over 2 years and our relationship is going to 2 years now and i know he's not gonna apologize 'cause he sees nothing wrong with it".
"He's sees nothing wrong in going against you reading a spiritual book? Wait Mide, are you supporting him? " asked Desola with an unbelievable tone.
"of course not, that was what led to our disagreement 'cause we started arguing. He said the Bible is the only spiritual book he supports, and that people who writes are only doing it for money, so he can't waste his money and time reading it. I got so angry to the extent that i asked him to shut up" Mide said, with anger written all over her face.
"Hmmmmmm" Desola sighed
"Well, i know he will come back to his senses after marriage though"
"Are you sure?" Desola asked with a warning tone.
"Why that tone ehn Desola?" she asked offensively
"I thought you said he's a Christian"
"Of course he is. He's a member of the choir in his church and from a good Christian family too. You know he jokes alot, I'm sure he didn't mean all he said last week"
"and how about this issue of him not asking of you just because of the disagreement
"You know men na Desola. They respect their ego more"
"hmmmmmmm" Desola sighed heavily "I want to ask you something Mide"
"okay, go on" replied Mide as she listened with rapt attention. She had finished the pineapple juice she was taking and just had a refill inside her cup.
"Are you sure you have thought this through? Hmmmm" Desola asked with a very concerned look.
"aha! Desola how could you be asking me this? I've been with this guy for close to 2 years now. I just can't afford to throw all that away. It's not even possible ni! Aah! I'd rather endure anything he does now with faith that he will change" Mide replied confidently.
"Hmmmmm okay o, if you say so" Desola replied as she shrugged her shoulders and continued sipping her juice.

Olamide Martins is a promising, beautiful and a very attractive lady. She has a very good job, a car and an apartment of her own. To the world, she's living a very perfect life. She is a medical doctor by profession and spent all her youthful years in school. She never had a substantial time for relationships throughout her years in school. She's her Father's favorite because she's the only one among her 3 other siblings who chose to go in the medical line like her Dad. She had always been a strong-willed child, just like her Dad. Apart from the fact that her physical features are the same with her Mum, it's so difficult to say she's the child of her Mother because character-wise, they are poles apart. This is also one of the reasons her father loved her so much because she resembles her mother to a fault. Tall, Light-skinned, Plumpy and very beautiful.

Just like nobody's perfect, Olamide is the only unmarried child of her parents. Even her kid sister is married with one child and based in the United States with her husband. This has been the major point of discussion between her and her Mum anytime she goes to visit.
So this prompted Olamide to make sure she gets married before the end of the year.

She met Dara at a church program she was invited to, organized for youths and young adults. The guest minister, a great woman of God made a joke about Church Brothers opening their eyes and seeing the sisters around. Dara, like the other brothers did the same and saw Mide, he couldn't get his eyes off her right from that moment, he only managed to when Mide started feeling uncomfortable. He went to meet her after the program and they talked for a while before they exchanged phone numbers. They later became good friends and when Dara came 6 months later, telling her he's convinced she's his wife, she couldn't afford to say No. Dara is just her type of man, focused, a child of God, tall, dark and handsome. They've been courting for almost 2 years now and Mide had never seen any reason why Dara can't be her husband. Mide actually wanted the wedding to commence as early as possible but Dara kept on giving reasons why it can't be.
"But why Dara? Why can't we go on with this wedding, we've finished the church marriage counseling. Why can't we go on?" Mide asked him one Sunday evening. They had just come back from an outing and Dara had come to drop her at her place and seeing her off to her door.
"Let's not rush things Olamide. I still need some time to prepare where we will be living after this wedding" he replied, putting his two hands on her shoulders.
"But we both have a job. I believe we should prepare together and not just you alone" Mide objected, removing his hands on her shoulder.
"Listen I'm a man okay? And i do things my way. Besides i'd soon be your head so let me the one providing and not the other way round" Dara replied authoritatively.
"I'm not saying i'd do it alone. I just want to help y.......
"Just shut up Mide!" snapped Dara. "in fact good night" said Dara as he pecked her and left.
Click link to read eps2 >>http://ballspedia.com/series/the-edge/the-edge2
Re: The Edge by ttopswag(m): 5:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
THE EDGE

CHAPTER 2

Mide called Dara a day after he stomped out of her compound in a rage. She suddenly felt so bad for trying to push him into the marriage. According to her, that's been cheap so she made up with him and things went back to normal as usual.

Two weeks later, Mide was home enjoying her 2 days leave which happens to fall on a weekend. She was reading a book written by William L. Coleman titled 'Before the ring', a friend in church had given it to her a month before and she had never had time to really sit and read the book. She promised to start and finish the book during her leave.

She was just in the first chapter of the book when Dara walked into her house with a captivating smile.

"Dara??!" she exclaimed. She wasn't expecting him nor anyone. In fact, Dara didn't knock, he walked into the house like he's the sole owner. She couldn't help but wonder what the smile was all about.

"Yeah, it's me!" Dara replied, still smiling. "You are the true daughter of your father" he said, sitting down with his legs crossed.

"I don't understand"

"Well, i wanted to surprise you at your work place but i was told you are on leave when i got there, you know i was hoping to find someone with you, because i didn't understand why you wouldn't tell me if you ain't planning to be with someone else but my mind kept telling me i could count on you" he explained confidently, not taking note of the expression on Mide's face.

"So now, you are tracking me?" she asked

"Call it whatever you like. Anyway, its good you are even alone because i wouldn't have taken it lightly with you had it been i found someone here" he replied unapologetically.

"Anyway, I'm surprised to see you" she said, waving off his sense of insecurity. Mide actually love it when her man is feeling a sense of ownership but Dara is doing it to a fault. Nevertheless, it's still manageable. "He will change after i become his wife" she always say.

"So what have you come to do?" she finally asked, as she brought him a pack of pineapple juice and a glass cup. She served him and sat down on a cushion chair opposite him.

"You are asking what i, your fiance has come to do in your house? Is there someone you are hiding?" he asked frankly and trying to look around like he's looking for something.

"Dara, are you okay? How can you ask such a question?" Mide asked, looking so surprised he could ask such a question from her. She had always known him to be the jealous type though .

"Well, if indeed there's nobody you are hiding. Go inside and change, i want to take you out" he ordered as he took his cup of juice to sip.

"oops! Dara, not today" Mide said, frowning. She knew she was really in it for a hot moment today. Dara never likes it when she goes against him in any issue.

"you mean?" he asked firmly, like he didn't hear her the first time.

"Listen Dara, i planned spending all of my leave at home" she said calmly. If there's one thing Dara hates, it's her screaming at him.

"At home doing what!" he yelled. His cup was back on the small stool he took it from now.

"Reading, Cleaning, Washing and getting enough rest before i resume back next week. You know it's been a while I've been pressing for this leave" she explained, not trying to sound rude.

"Mide, you mean you'd sacrifice my happiness for all these petty things you just mentioned?" he asked with his eyes fully enlarged, like his entire life totally depends on Mide going out with him that day.

"Since when did your happiness has to do with me going out with you?" Mide asked curiously.

Dara didn't answer her a word. He paused for a while like he's trying to digest what she has just said. He noticed he was going too far. He really loved Made and won't want to scare her off, now they are at the verge of getting married.

"You said you are gonna be reading. All the 7 yrs you spent at school wasn't enough for you to read abi" he asked rhetorically, but still with an authoritative tone.

"Listen Dara, I'm not ready for a fight this morning because it's like that's what we do lately, If you'd notice when you came in, i was reading a book" she replied, sounding as polite as possible. She's not as gentle as that and Dara knows but she knows how being submissive could be a key to win a man's heart.

"ehn ehn" he sized her up with his big inviting eyes then looked all around the room searching for the book she mentioned. He found it, opened it and scanned through the pages before finally closing, then he flung it back to the chair and hissed.

"is this the book you've been wasting your time reading" he asked mockingly

"What do you mean wasting my time"

"Well, i don't believe in all of these books people say they carry up and down in the name of reading. I believe the people writing them are only doing it for money. Bible is the only authentic spiritual book" he declared. "Thank God he even believes in the Bible" thought Mide

"i know, Dara and that's why the Bible is always their reference, their starting and ending point" argued Mide

"Oh please Ola. I don't care. Any other book called spiritual book apart from the Bible is fake to me. I don't care who the writer is"

Mide couldn't believe Dara just said that. She has always seen him as a very strong Christian who takes spiritual books seriously. She couldn't believe she had known him for over 2 years and has never discovered this about him. She finally replied after taking some time to overcome her shock.

"So in other words, the messages we listen to from great men of God are fake cause these people practically write what they preach" she said in defence.

"If that's the case, why are they selling them? I believe spirituality should be a free gift and not by buying books that won't even have a positive effect on me" Dara said undauntedly then he continued, "Listen Mide, i really do not feel comfortable seeing you read all this meaningless books. You know they really have a way of manipulating someone's mind, like this one you said you are reading now" he picks up the book from where he flung it to.

"before the ring: questions worth asking', what's the author's concern with all of that? I'm sure some people will read this book now and go break up with their partner simply because he or she isn't fit for them according to the book, in fact the thought of you wasting your money on this worthless book is arrrrrg" he said, demonstrating him feeling irritated.

Mide was just looking at him with contempt all the while Dara was talking. She was seeing an entirely new side of him.

"Shut up Dara! Just shut up!" she yelled at him when she couldn't take it any longer.

"How dare you yell at me Ola? How dare you? " Dara charged at her with his full self

"And again i say shut up! I'm so disappointed hearing all of these nonsense from you Darasimi. A whole child of God!" she said boldly, not minding his present state of mind. Now she is acting like the original Olamide Martins, the lady who can look any guy in the face and say anything to him.

"Nonsense? You call all i said nonsense? Ehn Olamide, okay no problem" he said angrily as he walked out of her house.

It's been a week Mide heard anything from Dara. She decided not to call nor ask for him, maybe he will come back to his senses with that.

Desola, Mide's best friend saw no reason why Mide should still be in that relationship not after she told her about their previous disagreement but as usual Mide is ready to overlook it.

"I'm getting outdated, don't you get it?" Mide replied after Desola asked if she had really thought it through concerning Dara.

"That's not the point Olamide. The point is, it he really God's plan for your life? I won't want you to get blinded by your quench for a married life that you overlook some very important things" advised Desola.

"I've heard enough Desola. Can we continue playing our ludo now?" Mide said, feeling tired of the conversation already. Her friend is a complete sanguine, she talks a lot. Mide really enjoys her company because she tells her a lot of gists and Desola being a professional journalist always has something to say all the time but this time around Mide is so tired of her trying to talk her out of her relationship with Dara

"Hurrrr, now you want to continue abi after I've beaten you twice in a roll" mocked Desola.

"Let me worry about that abeg" Mide replied as they both laughed.

©Toluwanimi Odeniyi
CLICK HERE TO READ EPS3>>http://ballspedia.com/series/the-edge/the-edge3
Re: The Edge by ttopswag(m): 9:17am On Oct 06, 2016
THE EDGE

CHAPTER 4

A BMW C3 car manoeuvred at the front of a big duplex in one of the exclusive areas of Lagos. The driver hooted and a young man was seen peeping through a small hole in the gate. He recognized the car and quickly went to open the gate.

"Ah Oga!" he hailed in his Hausa tone.

"How are you Musa?" Dara replied with a smile as he drove into the compound. He stopped the car and looked beside him to see the confused look on Mide's face.

"Why is your face like this?" he asked like he doesn't know the reason.

"Dara, where are we? I've been asking you where we are going since we left my place and you have refused to answer me" she replied with a straight face.

It's not as if she was really happy going out with him anyway.

"Just calm down Ola" he said with a smile, showing off his gap teeth. It's been quite a while Mide saw him smile. His smile has a way of making her heart melt. "oh my god!, not that captivating smile again" she thought.

That smile alone is enough to make any anger go down.

"This is the house of the couple who brought up the man that makes your heart go kedike" he said as he smiled again proudly.

"What?! Your parents' house? I can't believe this" exclaimed Mide annoyingly.

If there's one thing Mide hates, it's dressing wrongly for an occasion and so she hates surprises that come in that way. Dara didn't mention a word about where he is taking her to and she got into the problem of knowing what to wear.

"Of course it is. Now get down and let's go inside" he said, without minding the expression on Mide's face.

"Dara, you know i hate surprises like this. How do you expect me to go before your Mum looking as casual as this, like I'm just a school girlfriend" she blotted out angrily.

She was putting on a yellow polo top on a black jean with yellow sandals with a black bag to match. She had always dreamt of the day she'd go visit Dara's family but she never hoped it'd be like this especially dressing so casually.

"What's wrong with the way you are dressed?" Dara asked, looking at her from head to toe. They were still inside the car.

"Oh, please Dara. I don't like this at all and you know it"

"Listen Mide, we are going in now, I'm tired of this your endless nagging" he said as he got down from the car and went to the other side to open for her. He has always been romantic and that's one of the things Mide loved about him. He opened for her and Mide reluctantly got down from the car.

"You don't want to go into your 'would-be-inlaw's house with that face" he said then he added, "besides, you are looking stunning and so beautiful" he complimented her as he held her hand and they both walked into the house.

Dara's family especially his dad welcomed her with open arms. Mide has never felt so much love from a family she's meeting for the first time. She got into the house feeling so uncomfortable as she kept on checking herself but she later got entangled in the conversation she started with Dara's Dad. He's also a Doctor, a surgeon to be precise, so he and Mide had a lot of things to discuss. Mide could already see herself as Mrs Olabanjo already and so also for the fact that her Dad will get along well with Dara's Dad since they are also both in the same field of work.

Dara's Mum too grew fond of Mide especially with her simple and casual way of dressing.

"You are so beautiful my dear" she said to her, smiling

"Thank you ma" Mide replied with a smile.

Mide spent the rest of her day with Dara's family. They got up to start leaving after Mide had tried all she could to send a lot of signals to Dara so they'd start going. She left Desola in her house thinking she and Dara were going for a normal date like they used to. Desola has been calling and sending her a lot of messages telling her she wants to start going home and since she can't leave with Mide's house keys, she had to wait till they come back.

Mide explained to Dara when she had the chance to and Dara assured her they will soon leave. That was 2 hours ago and with the look of things, Dara doesn't look like someone who would leave soon. Besides Dara didn't mention anything about them sleeping over.

"Or is that also part of the surprise?" she thought, then instantly waved it off. She'd never sleep in her would-be-inlaw's house for the first time she's coming to visit them. She and Dara live and work within Lagos so there's no excuse.

A part of Mide is actually happy Dara brought her to visit his parents. It's a sign that their wedding is around the corner and she wouldn't want to spoil his mood now that they are finally on good terms but she couldn't help but consider her friend. And as a journalist, she would have to be at work very early the following morning.

Dara got up when he couldn't take Mide's nagging anymore. She later subjected to sending him private messages whenever his parents or siblings are around.

"We'd love to leave now Mum" he said, getting up

"Yes ma and we promise to come visit soon" Mide added as she also got up, smiling.

"Alright my dear" his Mum replied with a smile.

The whole family saw them off to the car and Dara drove off.

Desola was already tired of waiting for Mide and so she sat down outside. It's already some minutes to 10pm when Dara drove into the compound. He and Mide didn't exactly have an exciting conversation on their way back. In fact Mide could sense something was wrong but she didn't have an idea what it could be. She apologized to Desola immediately she got out of Dara's car.

"Desola, I'm deeply sorry for keeping you waiting" apologized Mide

"Hurrrr it's okay. That's my punishment for not wanting to stand up from watching TV. I'd have gone home when you were going the other time but i didn't want to miss a part of that program" Desola replied, putting the blame on herself childishly. Mide laughed and was still laughing when Dara got out of the car.

"We are sorry Desola" he apologized

"It's okay Dara, by the way how was the outing?" she asked, smiling

"I'd give you the full gist when i see you tomorrow" Mide replied, giving her a wink.

"okay oooh. See tomorrow then" she replied as she walked towards her car.

"bye" Dara and Mide said

"Goodnight" Desola bade them as she entered her car and drove out of the compound.

Dara entered the house angrily immediately Desola drove off. Mide doesn't know what's wrong and hoped to find out so she followed him.

"Dara, what's wrong with you?" she asked immediately she got inside. He was already sitting on the sofa by the time she came in. He got up in a rage..........

©Toluwanimi Odeniyi
Click link to read Eps5>>http://ballspedia.com/series/the-edge/the-edge5

(1) (Reply)

See What Davido Is Doing In His Car. / Chronicles Of Lily; The Undercover Overlover. / The Devil In Him (A Story On Domestic Violence) - AKINWALE AKINYOADE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.