Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS (2173 Views)

Why Microsoft Windows OS Is Widely Used In Nigeria / How To Set Up Developer Environment On Windows OS That Work Like LINUX OS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by phemmylintry: 8:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
Please guys, i wanna dual boot my system with windows 8 and Kali linux. Have already tried to do it once on my on, but i ended up formatting my hard disk. How do i go about it.
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by Emmach10(m): 9:29pm On Nov 01, 2016
Why not go with something more familiar till you advance like Ubuntu which is good for programming. I am running a dual boot of windows 8 and Ubuntu.

Meanwhile Kali Linux is mainly for penetration testing and I bet you won't be using it more often sosomething like dual booting Ubuntu and windows then using Kali as VM in either windows and/or Ubuntu I think is more better.

Or even using it portably via USB pen drive.

2 Likes

Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by ugwum007(m): 11:09pm On Nov 01, 2016
If you have the latest version of Kali, install windows first.
Create a new partition with windows.
Then proceed to install Kali on the new partition, it is straight forward from there and will recognise the windows during installation.

Only work with the created installation.
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by Whytelyon(m): 7:28pm On Nov 02, 2016
[size=13pt]Just use a virtual machine. Don't make a partition download Oracle Virtualbox and load iso image and you be fine. [/size]
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by haggai247: 11:33pm On Nov 02, 2016
Emmach10:
Why not go with something more familiar till you advance like Ubuntu which is good for programming. I am running a dual boot of windows 8 and Ubuntu.

Meanwhile Kali Linux is mainly for penetration testing and I bet you won't be using it more often sosomething like dual booting Ubuntu and windows then using Kali as VM in either windows and/or Ubuntu I think is more better.

Kali Linux is not just for pen testing alone please correct that wrong impression it used for a plethora function op should go ahead and install work perfectly with windows dua bo
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by Whytelyon(m): 6:35am On Nov 03, 2016
haggai247:

Kali Linux is not just for pen testing alone please correct that wrong impression it used for a plethora function op should go ahead and install work perfectly with windows dua bo

Schissel,

Linux are in many distros,the one for pen testing are the big names like kali, cyborg hawk, amiga (used most times by the US military)
Why would you want to even dual boot when you can use a virtual machine and have it act like you on several Pc's?
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by Emmach10(m): 5:53pm On Nov 08, 2016
haggai247:

Hy. I never said that Kali Linux is used only for Penetration testing but mainly used. So read carefully before commenting please.
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by adeoyeyemi(m): 2:32pm On Nov 10, 2016
If you have a good PC configuration like 8GB ram or more, you may consider installing Kali Linux on a vmware. However, if not, just partition your hard drive and install windows and Kali Linux separately on those partitions.

As an illustration, i am dual booting both ubuntu and windows 10 on my system but on separate drives. I installed ubuntu on a turbo drive and windows on another drive. On my windows OS i have a vmware 12 running. And on this vmware i have windows server 2008R2 & 2012, windows 7, windows 8.1, kali Linux and OSX. But for your info I'm using HP Zbook G2 mobile workstation with core i7, 800gb ssd, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, 32gb ram.
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by chigoeze: 11:54pm On Nov 11, 2016
adeoyeyemi:
If you have a good PC configuration like 8GB ram or more, you may consider installing Kali Linux on a vmware. However, if not, just partition your hard drive and install windows and Kali Linux separately on those partitions.

As an illustration, i am dual booting both ubuntu and windows 10 on my system but on separate drives. I installed ubuntu on a turbo drive and windows on another drive. On my windows OS i have a vmware 12 running. And on this vmware i have windows server 2008R2 & 2012, windows 7, windows 8.1, kali Linux and OSX. But for your info I'm using HP Zbook G2 mobile workstation with core i7, 800gb ssd, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, 32gb ram.

Crazy specs...I envy u, my system specs; core i5 8gb ram, 500gb Hdd, do u suppose I can run ubuntu and kali on vm smoothly? If so point me in the right direction to download a suitable vm....side note; how much did you get. Your laptop for?
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by adeoyeyemi(m): 9:35pm On Nov 14, 2016
chigoeze:

Crazy specs...I envy u, my system specs; core i5 8gb ram, 500gb Hdd, do u suppose I can run ubuntu and kali on vm smoothly? If so point me in the right direction to download a suitable vm....side note; how much did you get. Your laptop for?
Yea. 8GB would do but you cannot power on all the 3 OS at once. That is, the host which i assumed might be windows, then the two guests ubuntu and kali.

If you have windows as the host, then install any vm of your choice. Then install either ubuntu first or kali. Then before installation of these guest go to vm settings and allocate around 4gb ram at most, change the cores to 4, and allocate disk size of your choice but not less than 60gb for good performance. Then power on the guest. Repeat this procedure for the second guest installation.

NOTE: I bought my system through auction of used pc on ebay. At $1375.

1 Like

Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by spoilerx: 9:00am On Nov 16, 2016
Emmach10:

I totally agree with you. the installation process is much easier for ubuntu(almost idiot proof).
Re: Dual Booting Windows OS And Linux OS by femarse: 8:43pm On Nov 16, 2016
adeoyeyemi:

one hell of a machine

(1) (Reply)

How to download large files / I Need Help On Activating My Window 8.1 Window / Uk Used Hp Envy M4 Quad Core I7 8gb Ram 1tb Hdd Fingerprint Keyboard Light~75k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.