Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,736 members, 7,831,342 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Difference Between ‘in front of’ and ‘in the front of’ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between ‘in front of’ and ‘in the front of’ (513 Views)

What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces / Difference Between Successful And Unsuccessful People (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between ‘in front of’ and ‘in the front of’ by Benyinka(m): 3:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
http://englishnaija.com/

These prepositional expressions are not the same, but it is easy to understand the simple difference.

Look at these examples:

The sculpture stood in front of the building.
The sculpture stood in the front of the building.

These examples look similar, but are indeed different. Here is how:

In front of

This means ‘close to the front of something but not part of it’, or ‘outside’. When something is in front of another, it is in a position close to the forward part of it. Note that ‘in front of’ means ‘on the same side’, not ‘opposite’. When a road or path separates two entities(with both on each side), we use ‘opposite’.

‘In front of’ can also mean ‘ahead’.

Examples:

My mum stood in front of me at the mall.
There was a tree in front of the house.
I packed my car right in front of my house, not on their lawn.
The truck swerved in front of the school bus and lost traction.

In the front of

The definite article ‘the’ indicates the difference here. The definiteness is what makes this expression easy to understand. ‘In the front of’ means ‘in the most forward part of something’—and part of it.

Examples:

The driver sits in the front of the car.
My room was in the front of the building.
He sat down on the veranda, just in the front of his house.
The pilot sat still in the front of the aircraft—as expected.

Note that ‘in the front of’ may be inside or outside. The frontal pillar of a building is in the front of it, though outside the enclosure.

In conclusion, ‘in front of’ indicates ‘forward, but not part of’ while ‘in the front of’ indicates ‘forward, but part of’.
Re: Difference Between ‘in front of’ and ‘in the front of’ by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 17, 2016
Clap for yah self gringrin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between ‘in front of’ and ‘in the front of’ by LEGITLAYO: 6:31pm On Nov 17, 2016
This is educative,
Op gbayii.
Lalasticalala
This deserves to be on front page, Let people learn something new. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Some Bad English Commonly Used By Nigerians And Their Corrections / Uniuyo Supplementary Admission Lists (utme And Direct Entry) For 2016/2017 Check / Jamb Form Coming Out Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.