Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,465 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Some Immaterial Errors Also Require Attention - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Immaterial Errors Also Require Attention (339 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose / Grammatical Errors That Welcomed President Buhari Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Immaterial Errors Also Require Attention by tuitionyard(m): 9:18am On Jan 17, 2017
Sometime last year, I was in a meeting with a Senior accountant where we were discussing about correcting certain prior period errors and to him his argument was as simple as 'Israel we can overlook these errors, they are immaterial', well, indeed they were immaterial, but from my end I understood why he wanted it uncorrected (to conceal 'certain anomalies').

I understood his point on materiality because materiality is very important to an accountant, it is even an auditor's favourite theme song. It makes sense as I will rather bother myself about important stuffs and material stuffs are important stuffs! However, some accountants in order to achieve 'particular representation' tend to leave an immaterial error uncorrected based on the argument that the IFRS is applied to only material items (see IAS 8, Accounting policies, changes in accounting estimates and errors, paragraph cool.

Well, if you are one of those accountants, I am going to burst your bubbles! I disagreed with him from the technical standpoint as paragraph 8 of IAS 8 also explains that it is inappropriate to make, or leave uncorrected, immaterial departures from IFRSs to achieve a particular presentation. Paragraph 41 of IAS 8 further buttresses this point by making it clear that financial statements do not comply with IFRSs if they contain either material errors or immaterial errors made intentionally to achieve a particular presentation of an entity's financial position, financial performance or cash flows. Paragraph 41 even made a stronger statement.

So IFRSs do not apply solely to material items and not only material errors are of importance.

Thanks for reading....

Usidamen Israel

(1) (Reply)

Home Tutors Needed At Lekki / Kindly Vote For Me In The Nigerian Oscar Awards. / .net Training Classes And Placement Assistance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.