Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? (31563 Views)

Difference Between Busy And Productive / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Institute Of Drilling And Petroleum Engineering Course Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by SFSNIPER(m): 12:28pm On Apr 03, 2017
I had been wondering too.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by twosquare(m): 12:29pm On Apr 03, 2017
Please, go study abroad, so as to keep up with new trends...not this place where... grin wink lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by seangy4konji: 12:29pm On Apr 03, 2017
a bit wrong...engineering focuses on hardware and software( while science focuses on the languages,theories,architecture.
bjhaid:
Computer engineering-hardware
Computer science-software
But as a Comp engineer you can find it easy to learn software
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Flakosixfive(m): 12:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer Science is the study of computation. It informs how we create software (ideally). Topics might be: Complexity, algorithms, models of computation, automata, … It is arguably a branch of discrete mathematics, and builds upon set theory, logic, etc.
Computer Engineering is studying how computing machines are built. It informs how we build hardware. Topics might be: Hardware architectures, gates, instruction set design, digital communications … It overlaps digital electronics and physics.
So you see the word "computer" in "Computer science" is something of a misnomer. Perhaps "Computing science" might be more accurate.
The famous analogy used by Edsger Dijkstra (computer scientist) was: "Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by fuckboys: 12:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
computer science deals with software aspect of computer, writing programs, troubleshooting, and all

Computer engineering has to the with physical aspect of the computer, fixing and repairs of physical computer stuffs
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Chinwe01: 12:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer engineering talks more about hardware than software unlike computer science that dwells much on software
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by oluwaseuncode: 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer Science and Engineering are very different yet so similar.

In simple English, Computer Science deals with software ( writing of programs ), algorithms, computer architecture e.t.c while Engineering deals with Hardware (You will also write programs )
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Mikkystorm: 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2017
Lol, unizik? Pfft.
Anyways, there's some sense in what your friend said though. I am a student of the first ever digital institution in the east, Federal Polytechnic Oko, studying computer engineering. And I can assure you, we do more of practical than theories. The universities do otherwise. Go for computer science brother, as far as unizik is concerned. Another factor to consider while choosing unizik is their admission scheme, it's too tacky. Just follow your heart BRO.
Computer engineering deals with both the hardware and software in a computer. Computer science bases itself on the latter, not that it's isolated from the hardware area.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by dquantom: 12:33pm On Apr 03, 2017
I will advise you go for computer engineering. Despite all you have heard about Nigeria universities, computer science is no better. The school I finished for example was offering computer with mathematics. The students realized their was no difference between their colleagues studying pure maths. I had a friend who regretted studying that course as against engineering.

Outside the country, computer science is okay. But while in Nigeria, will advise you go for computer engineering.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Flakosixfive(m): 12:36pm On Apr 03, 2017
Now to bring it down home , I can assure you that you won't be doing a lot of intensive practicals if you opt for CE. our system hasn't been designed to recognise, accept and incorporate the practical details of this course into our curriculum. As an Electrical engineering student, I did a CE course in my 500L - computer architecture and guess what it was all theories and theories all thru. But do not despair. If you commit your mind to it and you are desirous of carving out a niche for yourself, by all means do CE. You ll find fulfillment in it. here's more if you want to read up on the difference between the two. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-computer-science-computer-engineering-and-software-engineering
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Flakosixfive(m): 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2017
Mikkystorm:
Lol, unizik? Pfft.
Anyways, there's some sense in what your friend said though. I am a student of the first ever digital institution in the east, Federal Polytechnic Oko, studying computer engineering. And I can assure you, we do more of practical than theories. The universities do otherwise. Go for computer science brother, as far as unizik is concerned. Another factor to consider while choosing unizik is their admission scheme, it's too tacky. Just follow your heart BRO.
Computer engineering deals with both the hardware and software in a computer. Computer science bases itself on the latter, not that it's isolated from the hardware area.
Good response. Good diction.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2017
And certain individuals are collecting budget and projects as a minister of technology in Buhari's government, and there is no technology equipments in the whole Nigeria's universities for students to carry out their practical?

What a busy called NIGERIA
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by saladel(m): 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer scientist are programmers, while computer engineers fix computer problems either software or hardware. A computer engineer can also do communication engineers job and a few of elect elect. You'll learn how to program, but not as much as computer scientists. With a comp engine degree you can also do masters in comp science but you can't do masters in comp engine if you have a bsc in comp science. Comp engine can do most of comp science, communication engineers and elect elect jobs.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by FerrytimCharis: 12:46pm On Apr 03, 2017
Hi friend, thanks for asking this critical question. The way I see it, sincerely Nigerian Universities are not that OK with the practical aspect of Engineering generally unless you are looking forward to applying to a private university which is quite balance in both theory and practical. My advice, find ur niche ie where do u want to major in. Is it website design, programming etc?
Now I need you to ask someone in the proposed school to help u to get the students handbook of the two departments, compare and contrast the syllabus yourself so as to make the right decision of the course u want to eventually go for.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Samjay009(m): 12:47pm On Apr 03, 2017
Why don't you study Elect/Elect instead? It is more versatile and still encompasses CE and CS. You can easily branch into any area of your choice after graduation

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 12:47pm On Apr 03, 2017
saladel:
Computer scientist are programmers, while computer engineers fix computer problems either software or hardware. A computer engineer can also do communication engineers job and a few of elect elect. You'll learn how to program, but not as much as computer scientists. With a comp engine degree you can also do masters in comp science but you can't do masters in comp engine if you have a bsc in comp science. Comp engine can do most of comp science, communication engineers and elect elect jobs.

What's your level of education?

Your answer will determine how i respond to your quoted post

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by kinibd(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
piperson:
thanks but what's the difference between, computers and electronic devices

A computer is an electronic device, just like obi is a boy!!! @ op Computer science has to do with algorithms, programming languages and architecture while Computer Engineering deals mostly with hardware but they also learn about software as well.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by udoh2k: 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer Engineering is more or less a branch of Electronic Engineering. U will do more of elect/elect courses. Emphasis is on hardware maintenance and repairs.

Computer Science is more or less a branch of mathematics. You will do more of mathematics and programming. Emphasis is on Software.

In today's world which ever u choose, try to know a bit of both. Try to understand (on ur own) the basic of how to maintain a system; how to write simple software that works...programming; how to explain/advise people on acquisition of computer technology...system analysis.

Any where u would work, they will need these 3 skills.

NB. Most people that do computer in school, shy away from programming. If u face it, u will be distinguished.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by geekybabe(f): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer science over computer engineering
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by frankopit: 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer Science. You can be a software developer or a system Analyst. It sales more than computer Engineering.
you can actually manufacture a software as a computer scientist , while in Computer Engineering i don't really know if u can manufacture hardware after graduating from our Nigeria University(leave that for the physics student).

You have to develop the spirit of programming as a computer scientist.then you can be a millionaire while @home non employed.
The theoretical aspect of computer science will teach you more on
Mathematics,
Database,
programming,
documentation,
and Software Engineering.

in Your Postgraduate

you learn more of
Software Engineering,
Database
and Algorithms.
and how to solving complex problem with Algorithms in data mining and or using artificial intelligence.
Optimization problem using Machine Learning algorithm(

ABC, KNN, SVM, Natural network,
Linear Regression
Logistic Regression
Decision Tree
SVM
Naive Bayes
KNN
K-Means
Random Forest
Dimensionality Reduction Algorithms
Gradient Boost & Adaboost

)

etc

I Specialize and Research In using Machine Learning Algorithm to solve Optimization problem.

catch me on twitter @frankputer to get more on machine learning Big data,data mining .
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by ehissi(m): 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2017
poindexter229:
HelooNlanders. I’ve been a member of this forum for quite some time now and I must confess its been really informative and entertaining.
I’m having a bit of problem choosing my career prospect and would really love the experienced ones & graduates to help a brother on the matter.

I’m literally a Jambite who wants to study Computer Engineering in the university because someone ones told me that computer engineering course covers both the technical and software aspect of a computer whilst Computer Science deals on only the software part of a computer. I chose engineering because I wanted to use my full potentials and to cover more in the era of technology (I’m pretty good at maths).

But currently I’m hearing different stories bout computer engineering in the Nigeria University that it doesn’t worth it and it’s a waste of time and students are been denied practicals which is not supposed to be so (based on its technicality).
So please our graduates in the house esp those who studied the above mentioned courses or similar stuffs should please assist a young fellow.
Please Moderator forward this to FP as it might as well help those of same or similar problem.

(Intend applying unizik as a first choice)

Safer with computer science........

Trust me, I know.

Computer Engineering is focused on design, computer science is focused on techniques.....
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2017
What's the point in studying computer science degree for 4+ years when you can do acquire targeted certificates that usually come with practical experience for your desired industry?

Food for thought right?

Computer science is strictly software whereas computer engineering is best of both worlds (software and hardware)

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by MicWizzy: 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2017
HenryDion:
Whichever course you want to go for, have in mind that 90% of things you'll be doing in the university will be theory. So, you will have to wisen up and undertake the technical or practical aspect during holidays. That way, you become an employable graduate at the end of the day.

Good luck. It's all about vision.

Computer science in Nigeria university for me is a waste of time cus their lecturers are not capable, if you pick computer engineering be ready to sign up with any ICT firm as an intern to help with practicals...
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by geekybabe(f): 12:52pm On Apr 03, 2017
fuckboys:
computer science deals with software aspect of computer, writing programs, troubleshooting, and all

Computer engineering has to the with physical aspect of the computer, fixing and repairs of physical computer stuffs

Computer Engineering is not about fixing or repairing computers. Dat one is for computer village boys.

Computer Engineering in practical is about designing building hardware systems, and integrating with embedded software.

Aspects of computer engineering include articial intelligence, robotics, telecoms, computer architectures, hardware and chip configs, etc

Even in d best Nigerian universities, you'll be taught basics.no practical. (I went to one). So be versatile and learn outside d classroom.

Computer Science is about software, the inanimate parts..building apps, designing apps. Contemporary fields in comp science are , ui/ux, data science, data analytics, mobile development, etc

Depends on what u want.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by youngmoneyeze: 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2017
i really love to study computer science, computer science is just like junior brother of computer engineering.
computer science did will software while computer engineering do with hardware.
brother u can study computer science or computer engineering and become perfectly in Nigeria university but it depend on ur potential.
we knew that Nigeria university are not too good in practical or technical aspect but u can be the best of it.
u can get the online tutorial, youtube is there for u.
u knw the best and u can be the best.

goodluck,
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jerryadigun: 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chukwuka16:
Very good question @OP. However, you have to do your home work thoroughly. Considering the fact that you want to study in Nigeria, the Engineering option is preferred for the obvious reason that it is a professional course and allows you to become a registered engineer which might be useful in the future. Aside that it offers no further significant benefit. For Computer Science however, it is the 'in thing' now. I have an engineering background for my first two degrees but I'm currently doing a doctorate in CS and I can tell you the opportunities are immense. This is due to the increasingly role of big data and machine intelligence/artificial intelligence/data mining etc. in our decision making process. These research areas are offering a very promising future and Nigeria is really a fertile ground for such disciplines. You may thus consider an engineering option but with dedicated and disciplined focus on learning some programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, C/C++ etc. and further building immense capacity in mathematics/statistics especially problem formulation/modelling and toy with some basic AI program and apply them in basic optimisation problems. What I have been saying is this - do well to graduate with good grades in Comp. Engr but build immense capacity in your programming skills but with practical application to everyday issues. Do not forget to update yourself with the trends in CS (data management and AI) by being a registered student member of IEEE to have access to some open access journals. Also trail papers for free from academia.edu to researchgate on AI/machine learning. You need to do a serious research on what you want and make up your mind. Ultimately, never forget to always consult your creator - God to ask for direction. He made you and thus knows what's best for you. You can never be wrong taking His advice. All the best!

Nice analysis.
I would like to make some inquiries from you privately.
i tried sending a personal message on Nairaland, but it did not go through.
Kindly share your email address with me Sir.
Thanks
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 12:58pm On Apr 03, 2017
geekybabe:

Computer Engineering is not about fixing or repairing computers. Dat one is for computer village boys.

Computer Engineering in practical is about designing building hardware systems, and integrating with embedded software.

In a Nigerian uni, you'll be taught basics.

You sabi die

Embedded systems is the buzz word...Very difficult course that must be mastered before you can make in-roads in the industry

I guess a lot of people don't understand the word computer as they automatically assume/conclude it's restricted to personal computers

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by kendyflash: 12:58pm On Apr 03, 2017
I am a graduate of Computer Engineering, and i have been in the IT industry for 3 years now. I also have colleague with computer Science background. From what i have learned in school and the Telecoms industry, also with knowledge shared with Computer Science folks.

I can say that ''Computer Science deals with the study of using computer technology to provide solution to business needs/problem solving, while Computer Engineering teaches about computer system design and integration (hardware and software to drive the system) to solve general life problem''. For example, a web or app developer for business solution. at this level of, you are only dealing with a high level computer programming. On the other hand, micro programming, AI and robotics is an area of the computer technology thought as Engineering.

I may have made a little sense..
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 1:01pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chukwuka16:
Very good question @OP. However, you have to do your home work thoroughly. Considering the fact that you want to study in Nigeria, the Engineering option is preferred for the obvious reason that it is a professional course and allows you to become a registered engineer which might be useful in the future. Aside that it offers no further significant benefit. For Computer Science however, it is the 'in thing' now. I have an engineering background for my first two degrees but I'm currently doing a doctorate in CS and I can tell you the opportunities are immense. This is due to the increasingly role of big data and machine intelligence/artificial intelligence/data mining etc. in our decision making process. These research areas are offering a very promising future and Nigeria is really a fertile ground for such disciplines. You may thus consider an engineering option but with dedicated and disciplined focus on learning some programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, C/C++ etc. and further building immense capacity in mathematics/statistics especially problem formulation/modelling and toy with some basic AI program and apply them in basic optimisation problems. What I have been saying is this - do well to graduate with good grades in Comp. Engr but build immense capacity in your programming skills but with practical application to everyday issues. Do not forget to update yourself with the trends in CS (data management and AI) by being a registered student member of IEEE to have access to some open access journals. Also trail papers for free from academia.edu to researchgate on AI/machine learning. You need to do a serious research on what you want and make up your mind. Ultimately, never forget to always consult your creator - God to ask for direction. He made you and thus knows what's best for you. You can never be wrong taking His advice. All the best!

You do realise you don't have to be a specialist in any of those fields to be a data scientist right?

What's your MSc in?

Have you come across this Venn diagram?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn / How I Got Belittled By My Boss... / N850k Job & A Boss That Insults: Funny Replies To An Employment Question...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.