Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

PC Guide - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / PC Guide (1679 Views)

Virus 101: Basics You Need To Know About Computer Virus / Hack Like A Pro: Linux Basics The Aspiring Hacker, Part 2 / Hack Like A Pro: Networking Basics For The Aspiring Hacker, Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 6:22pm On May 02, 2017
Welcome to the ultimate and comprehensive PC Guide. These guide will be in a series form as will go through each part or aspect of PC one after the other. This guide is meant for both noob(novice) and enthusiast as will go in-dept into all aspect of PC. We also going to go into PC Building Guide and PC Buying Guide.

What A Personal Computer(PC)
A personal computer (PC) is a multi-purpose electronic computer whose size, capabilities, and price make it feasible for individual use. PCs are intended to be operated directly by an end-user, rather than by a computer expert or technician.(Wikipedia)

PC Guide: Basics
Well almost of you folks knows the basic part of a computer either a Desktop or a Laptop. So will go into the basics component of PC.

1.Central processing unit(CPU) or Processor
2.Video Card(GPU)
3.Power Supply Unit(PSU)
4.Random Access Memory(RAM)
5.Storage (Hard disk or SSD)
6.Motherboard
7.Monitor
8.Keyboard
9.Mouse

i will be updating the series over time so stay tune.

for full info:http://thephantomweb.com/pc-guide-introduction-and-basics/
Re: PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 3:22pm On May 03, 2017
UPDATE
PC Guide: Central processing unit(CPU)

Welcome to PC Guide, today will be going to Central processing unit(CPU) also know as the Processor. The CPU is the most important component of the Computer System. It responsible for interpreting and executing most of the commands from the computer’s other hardware and software. All sorts of devices use a CPU, including desktop, laptop, and tablet computers, smartphones, even your flat screen television set.

CPU Performance
CPU performance is the amount of work accomplished by a processor, since it brains of the computer it important for you to know the work rate of a CPU. The performance of a CPU can be determine form it:

Clock Rate or Clock Speed
The clock speed of a processor is the frequency at which it can process a number or number of instructions it can process in any given second, measured in Gigahertz (GHz).

Example a Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.50GHz CPU which has a clock speed of 3.50GHz can process 3.50 billion instructions each and every second.

Numbers Of CPU Cores
CPU cores is the number of processor working side by side. Some devices have a single-core processor while others may have a dual-core or quad-core or many more processor. As it might already known, having two processor units or more working side-by-side means that the CPU can manage twice the instructions every second, simultaneously, drastically improving performance.

Most Intel CPU has a technology called Hyper-Threading, which virtualize two cores for every one physical core that’s available. This means a CPU with only 4 cores can function as if it has 8, with the additional virtual CPU cores, referred to as threads. Note, however, that physical cores do perform better than virtual ones.

Example a Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.50GHz CPU which has 4 cores. with additional 4 cores threads.

CPU Cache
A CPU cache is a smaller, faster memory, closer to a processor core, which stores copies of the data from frequently used main memory(RAM) which is used by the central processing unit.CPU Cache is faster than using RAM because it’s a physical part of the processor; more cache means more space for holding such information.

For full info:http://thephantomweb.com/pc-guide-central-processing-unitcpu/
Re: PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 3:11am On May 05, 2017
UPDATE
PC Guide: Intel CPU

Intel CPU

Intel Corporation is the word largest manufacturers of Central Processing Unit(CPU) . Around 80% of new PCs, and over 90% of laptops, have Intel processors. Meaning if you looking to buy or build a PC will probably going for Intel as it widely available and very popular.
Core series
Intel Core series is a line of mid-to-high end consumer, CPU develop by Intel. These processors are better than the entry-level Pentium processors. The Intel Core series is the most used Intel processor as it severs both mid end and enthusiast CPU consumer. There are three main line of Intel Core series, which include:

Intel Core i3
Intel Core i5
Intel Core i7
You can learn more on Intel core i3,i5,i7 here.

NOTE: When buying or choosing an Intel based CPU, it best you go for the Intel Core i Series.

Pentium Series

Intel Pentium Series are one of the oldest Intel's line of CPU, it an entry-level processor. Meaning it lowers than the Core i series but better than the low-end Celeron and Atom. Examples of Intel Pentium processors include:

Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium M, Pentium G2010..... Learn more

Celeron And Atom Series

Celeron And Atom are Intel's low end CPU. It usually found on low-level PC's like Mini laptop,notebooks and a times tablet. Learn more

Xeon Series

Intel Xeon Series are the high end CPU. These line of CPU are targeted at the non-consumer as it made purposely for workstation and server. There are quiet expensive so you hardly going to be buying it nor see in it desktop or laptops. examples of Intel Xeon CPU include:Pentium III Xeon, Dual-Core 3050,Xeon 1240Lv5.... Read more.

NOTE: Also always check the gen(generation) of the CPU, when buying or choosing a CPU

Intel CPU Generation

Almost every year Intel releases a new processor generation, which is always a bit faster and more power-efficient than its predecessor. So it every important you should always check the Intel CPU you buying. Intel is currently in it 7th gen of it CPU line.

In must cases since the 2th gen of the Intel CPU, the generation can be determined from the first number the Core i7- .
FUll info:[url] http://thephantomweb.com/pc-guide-intel-cpu/[/url]
Re: PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 5:59am On May 06, 2017
Update
PC Guide: AMD CPU

Welcome to PC Guide, so far we have discuss guide on CPU and also guide on Intel CPU. AMD CPU have been always the second choice in times of CPU market. never-less AMD has been trying very hard to step-up in the CPU market. And these year there were able to get it right with there new and promising new line of CPU RYZEN.

AMD CPU
Advanced Micro Devices(AMD) is an American multinational semiconductor company that develops computer processors and related technologies for business and consumer markets. It the second top manufacturer of Central processing Unit(CPU), AMD is the second-largest supplier and only rival to Intel in the CPU market . Since acquiring ATI in 2006, AMD is also the second-largest supplier and only competitor to Nvidia in the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) market.

AMD have quiet many types and series of CPU, like Athlon, A series, FX series, and Jaguar mainly use in Playsation 4 and Xbox one. But will discussing mainly on it new Zen based processor Ryzen.
Full info: http://thephantomweb.com/pc-guide-amd-cpu/
Re: PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 3:35pm On May 08, 2017
Update!!!
what Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors?

The Intel core i3, i5 and i7 processors are the most popular and the most used CPU in PC market today. When you a buying a laptop/building a PC, one of the main component you have to buy is the CPU. Now you have to decide if to go Intel core i3, i5 or i7, well most people by now knows the basic difference, the Core i3 for basics users, core i5 for mainstream/moderate users and Core i7 or enthusiasts/ heavy-users. But what the real difference between Intel core i3, i5 and i7 CPU.

Intel core i3
Have 2 cores
Support Hyper threading
Have smaller Cache
Use less power
less expensive

Intel core i5

Have 2 or 4 Cores
Support Turbo boost
Improved on-broad graphics
More Cache
less expensive than core i7
Support Overclocking

Intel core i7

Have 2 to 8 Cores
Faster Turbo boost
Support Hyper threading
Improved on-broad graphics
More Cache
Use more power(10w-130TDP)
Support Overclocking

source:http://thephantomweb.com/intel-core-i3-i5-i7-processors/
Re: PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 1:33pm On May 11, 2017
UPDATE
Which CPU is the Best Intel or AMD

Intel and AMD are the top CPU manufacturers in the PC market. In our previous articles on PC guide, we have discuss about Intel and AMD, and their various types of CPU. But now when buying a CPU or building one you have to decide if to for Intel or AMD.

Over the past years Intel as been the leading manufacturer and sellers of CPU, and AMD as always been the second choice for most PC enthusiasts. But now in 2017, that is about to change with AMD recent release of their new Zen line of CPU. Ryzen is AMD new line of CPU base on it new Zen architecture, which is is built on a 14nm. Which Essentially, means that Ryzen CPU are able to do about 40 percent work per clock cycle. Learn more on Ryzen.
Intel or AMD Which to Buy?
In 2017 Intel release it 7th generation of CPU, under the codename “Kaby Lake” which is the successor to 6th gen Sky lake. In Intel Kaby Lake series, the three most best CPU’s are. The Core i7-7700K for enthusiasts, the Core i5-7600K for mainstream and the Core i3-7350K for end-level or perhaps those on a tight budget.

In AMD side of CPU, it alike to early for Ryzen. As it was just been released recently and yet optimize for games or other software. But nevertheless the Ryzen still comes with very promising features. With Ryzen 7 1800X and Ryzen 5 1600X both comes with eight cores support “Simultaneous Multi-Threading“, and also support overclocking. The low-end Ryzen CPU(Rzyen 3) is yet to be release.
full Story: http://thephantomweb.com/pc-guide-best-cpu-intel-or-amd/
Re: PC Guide by Thephantomweb: 10:18am On May 14, 2017
Update
Graphics processing unit (GPU)

A Graphics processing unit (GPU), is a specialized electronic circuit just like a Central processing unit(CPU) design to rapidly manipulate and send graphical information to a display device. such as a computer monitor, TV, or projector. The GPU performs rapid mathematical calculations primarily to renders images, animations and video for the computer’s screen.

Nvidia and AMD are the two major manufacturers or GPU, but Intel usually build an Integrated graphics card to most CPU.

Note: A video card or Graphics card is an expansion card which actually the overall hardware of the GPU.

Types of Graphics processing unit (GPU)
In personal computers(PC), there are two main forms or types of GPUs.

Integrated graphics card

A Integrated graphics card also know as integrated graphics processors (IGP) is a shared resource type of graphics card. It utilize a portion of the computer’s system RAM to perform the graphics processing needed. Example of Integrated graphics card is Intel HD graphics and AMD APU. Generally Integrated graphics have low processing power thus very cheap. There are not a ideal for 3D gaming or rendering high resolution video like 4k.

Dedicated graphics card

Today will bring to discuss on Graphics processing unit (GPU), I know you have been hearing the term GPU, Graphics card or video card.
A dedicated graphics card, also know as discrete GPU, has own independent source of video memory,i.e RAM. Which is connected to the motherboard though extension slot such as PCI Express (PCIe). Example a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M video card with 2GB of video memory. dedicated graphics card are perfect if you are into serious gaming, high resolution video playback or rendering or professional graphic design.

There are also other types of Graphics processing unit (GPU) such as Hybrid graphics processing and External GPU (eGPU).
For full datails: http://thephantomweb.com/pc-guide-graphics-processing-unit-gpu/

(1) (Reply)

Internet In Delta State / Breaking News: Steve Jobs, The Co-founder Of Apple Died Today / How Do I Change My Ip?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.