Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,770 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

*difference Between Rabbit And Rat* - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / *difference Between Rabbit And Rat* (11305 Views)

What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / Difference Between Successful And Unsuccessful People (Photo) / I Killed This Rat In My Hostel In LAUTECH (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

*difference Between Rabbit And Rat* by onlyTheTruth(m): 12:05pm On May 04, 2017
Dear NL,
i have argued with many people about the difference between RAT and RABBIT,,,,, many people refer to the Giant Pouchedl rat as RABBIT, so i decided to make a comparison between the two for others to learn and stop making the mistake.

As nouns the difference between rabbit and rat
is that RABBIT is a mammal of the family leporidae , with long ears, long hind legs and a short, fluffy tail while RAT is (zoology) a medium-sized rodent belonging to the genus rattus.

rats are pests but rabbits are pets

Rabbits are small mammals in the family Leporidae of the order Lagomorpha, found in several parts of the world. There are seven different genera in the family classified as rabbits, including the European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), Cottontail rabbit (genus Sylvilagus; 13 species), and the Amami rabbit (Pentalagus furnessi, endangered species on Amami Ōshima, Japan). There are many other species of rabbit, and these, along with pikas and hares, make up the order Lagomorpha.

what Nigerians refer to as Rabbit is actually called GIANT POUCHED RAT
The giant pouched rats (genus Cricetomys) of sub-Saharan Africa are large muroid rodents. Their head and body lengths range from 25–45 cm (10–17.5 in) with scaly tails ranging from 36–46 cm (14–18 in). They weigh between 1.0 and 1.5 kg (2.2 and 3.3 lb).

Giant pouched rats are only distantly related to the true rats, though they were until recently placed in the family Muridae.[1] Recent molecular studies, however, place them in the family Nesomyidae, part of an ancient radiation of African and Malagasy muroids. The name "pouched rat" refers to their large cheek pouches.

Females have been said to be capable of producing up to 10 litters yearly. Gestation is 27–36 days. One to five young are born at a time. Females have eight nipples.

The animals are nocturnal. They are omnivorous and feed on vegetation and small animals, especially insects. They have a particular taste for palm nuts. Like many related rodents that are hind gut fermenters, they are coprophagous, voiding soft fecal pellets of semidigested food that they eat directly from the anus.

i got my results from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_pouched_rat
https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080128072119AAUyyq4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: *difference Between Rabbit And Rat* by Iamvictor(m): 12:10pm On May 04, 2017
Even the dumbest of the dumb shud know this
Re: *difference Between Rabbit And Rat* by onlyTheTruth(m): 12:31pm On May 04, 2017
Iamvictor:
Even the dumbest of the dumb shud know this

apparently, some people dont,,,, especially here in Delta,,,
ask a fren of urs frm delta "difference between rat n rabbit" the simple xplanation they wil giv to u s rabbit has whitish at d end of d tail

1 Like

Re: *difference Between Rabbit And Rat* by arowz56(m): 8:30pm On Feb 22, 2019
Someone just argued this with me and I can't believe some people can be dumb to call it a rabbit ....i just concluded on the notion of the animal they call idiot

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State University Rewards Its Top Students With N4m For Making 4.5 Cumulati / UTME 2018: JAMB Speaks On Removal Of Results From Site / Governor Gaidam Offers 38 First Class Students Of Yobe University Automatic Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.