Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Rate Microsoft Security Essentials - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Rate Microsoft Security Essentials (1590 Views)

Microsoft Security Essentials Vs Avast Free Antivirus. / Microsoft Security Essentials / Microsoft Security Essentials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 09, 2010
My kaspersky license expires in two weeks

i have been sort of hearing good buzz about MSE, and i'm contemplating using it instead ( cheap prick that i am cheesy)

so, any users out there?
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by aieromon(m): 12:19am On Jan 10, 2010
The mad reviews i read about Security Essentials made me queue it up for download.Its somewhere in my Downloads folder and i always get the urge to send to Recycle bin whenever i think of the failure of Windows Defender.
I suggest you renew your Kaspersky subscription.You certainly can't compare its firewall with that of Windows.
I don't think i can rate something i've not used.I also don't think Nlanders are ready to shift their faith onto the product.
Thanks for the thread . . . .i'll be following up to catch your review should you decide to give it a trial.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 25, 2010
so. . .

started using MSE yesterday

my first fear - that it would obliterate my activation crack

it detected something called obsfucator.eh - i'm sure that was the activator running - set it to ignore that.

detected some other things, none really serious

its not quite user friendly - or maybe i should say feature rich
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by specimenx(m): 12:32am On Jan 26, 2010
windows defender is just there to help your antivirus. its not one itself. mse looks like a type of windows defender. have an anti virus handy to protect yr system
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by AKO1(m): 12:55pm On Jan 26, 2010
Its really good especially if you're using a free antivirus license.

I used to use it and it would detect stuff my AVG wouldnt.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by audacious: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2010
Been using Security Essentials for two months now (on Windows 7) and it has so far worked well without any issues. Simple, Clean and straight forward interface. Plus I like that it's not a resource hug, I would recommend it for an average PC user.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by aieromon(m): 4:32pm On Jan 26, 2010
. . .in essense,i should stick to my nod32,right?
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 26, 2010
i guess it depends on how much hazardous stuff you engage in

to be honest three days is not enough. i need to get hooked to some fellas infected flash drives before i can really tell how good mse is
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by web4cash: 1:30am On Jan 29, 2010
I have Use it for weeks now, it's Ok and better than other Free Version of

anti-virus out there. i recommend it for an average pc user. But if you need

a powerful antivirus i prefer Avast profession. cheesy
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 07, 2010
fo me its official, security essentials is close to crapware

i found a folder cleansweep.exe in my root folder today - checked on the net- yes a trojan - scanned with security essentials - no id

downloaded malwarebytes antimalware, updated to latest defs, scanned - it found and deleted it sharp sharp

gotta renew that kis subscription
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by xterra2(m): 11:23pm On Feb 08, 2010
It is very goo @ least to me,in our house alone,four of it are installed on desktops and laptop.our kaspersky 09 expired and so downloaded this instead of spendong another N5500 to buy a newer kaspersky,
Since it is from microsoft and hey made the OS themselves,(windows)then it must be good,remember they also want to make windows safe so they wont do any useless software ,they have to do something good and so far it is good.USE IT-
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by flyuche(m): 11:10am On Feb 09, 2010
do you expect ms to offer us a superb free antimalware app? do you want norton, kaspersky, mcafee, etc to go out of business?  well ms thinks not.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 09, 2010
the only superb app among those u listed is kaspersky tongue

no to resource hogs
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by flyuche(m): 7:46pm On Feb 09, 2010
the 2010 version of mcafee, norton and kaspersky are great. but when it comes to system resource usage i will always settle for Mcafee Total protection 2010, scans fasts, updates quickly and does not affect start up time, unlike kaspersky.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by samir101ng(m): 10:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
But if virus nab ur system nko ?? What's its virus, trojan and malware detection and cleaning rate
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by flyuche(m): 9:58am On Feb 10, 2010
samir101ng:

But if virus nab your system nko ?? What's its virus, trojan and malware detection and cleaning rate

McAfee Total Proctection 2010 is the best right now for all round proctection.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by puskin: 2:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
^ ^ mMmm. . .says who??
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
^^^^

me too i dey wonder ooo

see flyuche endorsing bloatware
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by samir101ng(m): 3:16pm On Feb 10, 2010
One thing which everybody i know agrees on is that Kaspersky is very good at dealing and detecting viruses. Though it can sometimes delete files it cannot recover but hey as long as you are virus free its a small price to pay. Mcafee on the other hand, i have no idea about. Also, this is news to me that kaspersky is a resourse hog. I though KIS 2010 was a very good revamp of the program. Most systems have 2GB of RAM or more and have Core 2 Duo processors therefore i dont see it as much of a problem.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by flyuche(m): 4:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

me too i dey wonder ooo

see flyuche endorsing bloatware
you make me laugh.
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:24pm On Feb 10, 2010
yeah right, bill would throw u in prison then give you the keys!!

that aint his job, the other eyepatch wearing dudes are out there, u give them some kola and the break u outta jail. thats how it truly works
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by texazzpete(m): 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2010
4llerbuntu:

yeah right, bill would throw u in prison then give you the keys!!

that aint his job, the other eyepatch wearing dudes are out there, u give them some kola and the break u outta jail. thats how it truly works

There's no 'bill' at Microsoft these days. Didn't you get the memo?
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:08pm On Feb 10, 2010
ok sorry, he "stepped aside"
thats now schteve shey?

watever, substitute schteve for bill wherever it comes up grin grin grin grin

abeg, jare if ms ever made an attempt to do the virus pple in, blood will flow on the net, u know how many pple will go hungry if there was no antivirus market again? lailai. its like naija, nepa and fuel will not be ok cos pple get rich of them
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by texazzpete(m): 5:19pm On Feb 10, 2010
4llerbuntu:

ok sorry, he "stepped aside"
thats now schteve shey?

watever, substitute schteve for bill wherever it comes up grin grin grin grin

abeg, jare if ms ever made an attempt to do the virus pple in, blood will flow on the net, u know how many pple will go hungry if there was no antivirus market again? lailai. its like naija, nepa and fuel will not be ok cos pple get rich of them

explain to me one more time how Microsoft makes a dime from the Antivirus companies.
Microsoft has everything to gain from minimizing the threats from viruses and other malware.

PS: Snarky words like 'M$', 'Micro$oft' and 'schteve' are exclusively used by teenage fanboys these days. It doesn't portray you in any good light at all. Instant down-rank on Engadget et al when you use 'em
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by samir101ng(m): 5:44pm On Feb 10, 2010
texazzpete:

explain to me one more time how Microsoft makes a dime from the Antivirus companies.
Microsoft has everything to gain from minimizing the threats from viruses and other malware.

PS: Snarky words like 'M$', 'Micro$oft' and 'schteve' are exclusively used by teenage fanboys these days. It doesn't portray you in any good light at all. Instant down-rank on Engadget et al when you use 'em

@tex

Haba now, why you dey fall him hand now ?? grin grin grin
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2010
am back to kaspersky

oddly enough mse has now caught the virus cleansweep.exe on my XP VM
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2010
where did i say that MS makes money off it? @ texazzpete?

u pple need to get off this fanboy thingy abeg jare!!! I DONT SEE THROUGH THOSE GLASSES AT ALL, I USE MS TOO when i cant avoid it, eg at work on anor persons system, or during the wonderful freegate saga lol AND I STARTED THERE ANYWAYS, LIKE I ALWAYS SAY, I FORGET MORE STUFF THAN 80 PERCENT OF WINDOWS USERS EVER BOTHER TO LEARN! yup, i tried to learn it too!!

my point is windows have all the opportunity in the world to do better stuff, they just dont wanna!

the flaws that virus programmer exploit are known, how come they survive every new windows incarnation! a virus for win7 was out 3 hrs after they released the free test copies u pple used!!!!!

there are OS like solaris and MAC and even dare i say linux who dont suffer that plight! yes i know linux for example has a few, but they way its built from base code up, its secure, u not gonna get crazy situations like on MS, and they frankly dont spread and are a waste of time. the way it works u wont get the effect u desire!

yes i know the too few users angle, but isnt that like an admission that the virus market is a lucrative one! for moneymaking? therefore the folks who sit on their hands while the market thrives want it to thrive. (more licensing and related revenue) the net is symbiotic and the top of the chain is MS!

there are proven ways of mitigating this wahala, if MS can rip ideas for eyecandy, why not for base stuff? the MS kernel for example? needs new ideas, and they can afford the worlds best talent!!!

even stuff like filesystem structure? reiserfs, ext etc, all perform better than FAT or NTFS, simply because people approached the ideas differently! and MS still wont support them even when FAT and NTFS get killed by viruses easily
i mean lets be honest here who is fooling who? is windows the absolute best it could be? NO!

MS can afford to redo the whole jig, they have had two releases in 5 years! the customers are not going anywhere soon. if they take any OS today and name it windows 1000, all u guys will be screaming "ahhh its soo smooth!!!" lets get real!

the system is designed to maximise profits but so its good biz, bad for consumership!!! the anti virus industry thrives cos windows wont make a concerted effort to put them out of business!! they pay for licenses too dont they?
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2010
and sorry to disappoint u all, but am not looking for a debate or a ms v. linux gig, am just stating my 2 cents!!!
am entitled to my opinion, as you to yours, leave all the matter for mathias!!
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by texazzpete(m): 6:54pm On Mar 01, 2010
4llerbuntu:

where did i say that MS makes money off it? @ texazzpete?

u pple need to get off this fanboy thingy abeg jare!!! I DONT SEE THROUGH THOSE GLASSES AT ALL, I USE MS TOO when i cant avoid it, eg at work on anor persons system, or during the wonderful freegate saga lol AND I STARTED THERE ANYWAYS, LIKE I ALWAYS SAY, I FORGET MORE STUFF THAN 80 PERCENT OF WINDOWS USERS EVER BOTHER TO LEARN! yup, i tried to learn it too!!

my point is windows have all the opportunity in the world to do better stuff, they just dont wanna!

the flaws that virus programmer exploit are known, how come they survive every new windows incarnation! a virus for win7 was out 3 hrs after they released the free test copies u pple used!!!!!

there are OS like solaris and MAC and even dare i say linux who dont suffer that plight! yes i know linux for example has a few, but they way its built from base code up, its secure, u not gonna get crazy situations like on MS, and they frankly dont spread and are a waste of time. the way it works u wont get the effect u desire!

yes i know the too few users angle, but isnt that like an admission that the virus market is a lucrative one! for moneymaking? therefore the folks who sit on their hands while the market thrives want it to thrive. (more licensing and related revenue) the net is symbiotic and the top of the chain is MS!

there are proven ways of mitigating this wahala, if MS can rip ideas for eyecandy, why not for base stuff? the MS kernel for example? needs new ideas, and they can afford the worlds best talent!!!

even stuff like filesystem structure? reiserfs, ext etc, all perform better than FAT or NTFS, simply because people approached the ideas differently! and MS still wont support them even when FAT and NTFS get killed by viruses easily
i mean lets be honest here who is fooling who? is windows the absolute best it could be? NO!

MS can afford to redo the whole jig, they have had two releases in 5 years! the customers are not going anywhere soon. if they take any OS today and name it windows 1000, all u guys will be screaming "ahhh its soo smooth!!!" lets get real!

the system is designed to maximise profits but so its good biz, bad for consumership!!! the anti virus industry thrives cos windows wont make a concerted effort to put them out of business!! they pay for licenses too dont they?

Yeah, rejig the entire filesystem and throw out the registry. Then when 90% of Windows software don't work, what do you do?
Most of the FUD and outcry that surrounded the Vista launch was due to the program incompatibility. Now you want Microsoft to throw everything out the window.
Have you even heard the furore around Microsoft's decision to completely overhaul Windows mobile, rendering all legacy applications unusable on their upcoming Windows Phone 7?

Any more bright ideas, Einstein?
Re: Rate Microsoft Security Essentials by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:12pm On Mar 02, 2010
it all boils down to tghe same thing. the money.

what i say is even at that, there will be a period when the change will be painful, but lets face it the users have no where else to go!! they are stuck to the name and logo windows. inspite of all the complaints about vista, why did we have a major migration? because the users are too lazy and too indoctrinated to be able to do that. they will complain sure, but in the long run will turn round to praise the move!

the big businesses are not gonna move. what should or would happen is all the programmers and co will have about a years head start to do their stuff for the new OS. its what the RC period is for!

but then i guess they dont want to release source code etc so we have to keep enduring while they try to reinvent the wheel! sad!

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of HP Laptop very urgent / Nexus Refrigerator For Quick Sale / Clean Neat HP Core I5 12gig 1 Terabyte Touch Screen With Keyboard Light For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.